What's So Special About These Cars

Carbon82

Turbocharged

Ever Seen A Little Pull-ey Thing Inside Your Trunk?

taurus-se-t4.jpg

Ever tried actually pulling it, finding it doesn't seem to do anything?

Well then, ever gotten trapped in your car's boot on the inside?

In response to a bunch of American kids doing themselves just that, an emergency interior boot door release tab like this is found in a number of brands such as this Ford Taurus.

Have one in my Mondy.... theoretically good if I kenna kidnap in Malaysia and stuff into boot  [crazy]  :a-happy:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Anyone ever noticed that Toyota Isis has a wider than usual opening to the rear seats (on it left in particular)?

No, it does not have the funky coupe door like the Hyundai Veloster, BUT a "missing" B-pillar! Toyota call it the Panoramic Door (just like a panoramic roof that allow you to have a wider vision of what is on top), and the main advantage is the much easier access to / egress from the 2nd & 3rd row of seats.

The same concept was also deployed on the 5 seater Toyota Raum.

The pioneer of such door are actually NOT Toyota, but Nissan. It was put into production in it 1981 Nissan Prairie. Too bad there seems no newer vehicle with such practical feature...

I think sans B-pillar designs are rare due to the difficulty of keeping side-impact collision strength

Edited by 7hm

The dual opening boot is quite useful at carparks with low headroom. No need to worry about hitting the ceiling opening a big long boot cover

Anyone ever noticed that Toyota Isis has a wider than usual opening to the rear seats (on it left in particular)?

carlineup_isis_interior_indoor_space_2_0

No, it does not have the funky coupe door like the Hyundai Veloster, BUT a "missing" B-pillar! Toyota call it the Panoramic Door (just like a panoramic roof that allow you to have a wider vision of what is on top), and the main advantage is the much easier access to / egress from the 2nd & 3rd row of seats.

Wenbin-1409036000-d_pic.jpgtoyota_isis_a1260458335b3219729_5_orig.j

The same concept was also deployed on the 5 seater Toyota Raum.

2003_Toyota_Raum_02.jpg

The pioneer of such door are actually NOT Toyota, but Nissan. It was put into production in it 1981 Nissan Prairie. Too bad there seems no newer vehicle with such practical feature...

PrairieM10Brch_1.jpgPrairieM10Brch_3.jpg

Thanks kind of door compromised on the adjustable seat belt height at front row. More for taller adults. Seems like Nissan had done something unique to its seat belt
  • Praise 1

(edited)

OK now, the next car I am writing about seems a Plain Jane Kei car, the Mitsubishi i. So why is it worth to be mentioned in this thread? Because it one of the very few non sport car with RMR (Rear Mid-Engine Rear-Wheel Drive) configuration...

79925.jpg

I have several round of "debate" with friends when I told them the i has it engine mounted under the rear seat (or under the car boot, much like the original VW Beetle). Many thought I am trying to pull their leg, as it never occurred to them that such layout exist in a non sport car, let alone a budget Kei car from Japan.

Ushering in a new age for the minicar, Mitsubishi i was developed as an innovative premium small car that successfully overcomes the tradeoffs traditionally associated with the category: design versus comfortable interior space; comfortable interior space versus impact safety. Mitsubishi Motors has conquered these challenges by developing a new and leading edge rear-midship layout that mounts the engine forward of the rear axle line, This permits three new "innovations" within the category's dimensional constraints: futuristic and uptown styling; agile handling and a comfortable ride; and excellent multidirectional impact safety.

The rear-midship platform mounts the engine just forward of the rear axle line. A long wheelbase of 2550 mm, a figure that is on par with the level of a compact car, and a better front/rear weight distribution underpin superior key performance parameters complemented by agile handling, high drivability, a comfortable ride, and stable braking. Providing an effective front crumple zone, the rear-midship layout also realizes a happy marriage between roomier interior space and improved impact safety. And all this wrapped in boldly original styling.

Mitsubishi-i-minicar-chassis-lg.jpgMitsubishi-i-minicar-3-lg.jpgimg_5685.jpg

BTW, this is not the first Kei car with RMR configuration. The other being,

Autozam AZ-1 / Mazda Speed

189uxr9r2gdhijpg.jpgautozam_az1_mazda_speed_94_5.jpg

Honda Beat

AY0F1827.JPG1991-Honda-Beat-BAT-exploded.jpeg

Honda S660

honda-s660-32-1.jpgHonda-S660-TopView-2015.jpg

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 13

Turbocharged

OK now, the next car I am writing about seems a Plain Jane Kei car, the Mitsubishi i. So why is it worth to be mentioned in this thread? Because it one of the very few non sport car with RMR (Rear Mid-Engine Rear-Wheel Drive) configuration...

79925.jpg

IThe rear-midship platform mounts the engine just forward of the rear axle line. A long wheelbase of 2550 mm, a figure that is on par with the level of a compact car, and a better front/rear weight distribution underpin superior key performance parameters complemented by agile handling, high drivability, a comfortable ride, and stable braking. Providing an effective front crumple zone, the rear-midship layout also realizes a happy marriage between roomier interior space and improved impact safety. And all this wrapped in boldly original styling.

I'm just gonna stoke the memes and ask if this is a choice euphemism.  :XD:

• Praise 2

(edited)

Big fan of the Mit i.  If COEs were not so shits, i wld renew one. 

Did you know that the engine is designed to slide down in the event of a serious rear end collision? To minimise chances of injuring the passengers inside. 

Also a big fan of the Twingo. Another rear engined compact. Saw it being displayed in Tokyo. Love it. 

twingo-dynamique-q4-2015.jpg.ximg.l_12_m 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Big fan of the Mit i.  If COEs were not so shits, i wld renew one. 

Did you know that the engine is designed to slide down in the event of a serious rear end collision? To minimise chances of injuring the passengers inside. 

Also a big fan of the Twingo. Another rear engined compact. Saw it being displayed in Tokyo. Love it. 

twingo-dynamique-q4-2015.jpg.ximg.l_12_m 

What about this blob 

1200px-RenaultClioV6.jpg

Honestly, I didn't know that these Renaults come with RMR layout / setup! Thanks for sharing. [nod]  [thumbsup]

I'm just gonna stoke the memes and ask if this is a choice euphemism.  :XD:

You are very sharp to pick this up. BTW, this statement is not from me but Mitsubishi during the introduction of I. [grin]

Thanks kind of door compromised on the adjustable seat belt height at front row. More for taller adults. Seems like Nissan had done something unique to its seat belt

The height adjustable seat belt mechanism still can be incorporated into the front seat and anchored the other part onto the roof (just like some cabriolet / MPV). If there is will, there is a way. I like the practicality of "missing" B pillar.

I think sans B-pillar designs are rare due to the difficulty of keeping side-impact collision strength

I think this is one of the key reasons, beside the higher cost.

The dual opening boot is quite useful at carparks with low headroom. No need to worry about hitting the ceiling opening a big long boot cover

Exactly in the many situations I have encountered, especially at older MSCP / basement carpark with low height limit of ~1.8 - 1.9m

The twin mode trunks add unnecessary weight and complication without obvious advantage compared to a one-piece liftback.

Honda's door does have some added usefulness though (when closing from the inside).

It is very useful for me, as during normal time, I can open the boot lid using the remote key to load in non-bulky items, without the need to watch the height or shift my car. Then during occasions when I need to load large / bulky items, can have the whole boot + glass panel lifted, accessing to the boot as if like a open top lorry.

It is useful for those who don't like to drive hatchbacks or wagons, and yet want the flexibility to load bulky cargo once in a while that won't fit through the boot opening of a conventional sedan.

Yes. That is the purpose of having such dual opening mechanism.

Sedans are getting boring mah. That's why Lexus says unless sedans evolve or they will die. See MyAutoBlog section. http://www.mycarforum.com/blog/12/entry-4889-lexus-believes-sedans-will-die-off-unless-they-evolve/

The stepwagon is about making an mpv exciting I think. But it still look van ish.

It's not easy to reinvent the wheel. Repackaging still do-able though.

The reality is that once you are used to the seat height of a SUV / MPV, and practically of a wagon, sedan would seems very much useless (or impractical). I for one switch from hatch to sedan to MPV to SUV, back to sedan and give up... [:p] 

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 14

(edited)

OK, here's a quick question: What come immediately to your mind when you see these 2 logos? Come on, you don't need more than a second to come out with an answer... ...  [cool]

Lexus-logo+1.pngbose-logo.jpg

A new Lexus with premium sound system by Bose, or a JV between the 2 giants to create the next generation sound system for luxury rides? Sorry pal, you are completely wrong, so am I. While Bose is better know for it sound system, they are into other business as well (but mostly if not all are still at R&D stage).

The following video I am going to show you is mind blowing!! Sit tight (well you actually don't need to, if you the occupant in that white LS [;)]).

And here is another video if you can't have enough of it... [:)]

Now, what exactly is this all about? Heard of Project Sound? Why they didn't name it as Magic Carpet Ride??

Back in the 1980s, Bose began working on a secret project that it hoped would change the automobile forever: an Electromagnetic Car-Suspension System, code-named Project Sound.

The system was designed to anticipate and rise above bumps in the road, a little like riding on a magic carpet. It was the brainchild of Amar Bose, the founder of the company who died in 2013.

Current CEO Bob Maresca was lured to work at Bose in 1986 by the ambition of the project.

"I wouldn't have come up here [bose] if there wasn't a chance it was impossible," he told CNET in a lengthy interview.

Maresca worked 11 years on the project, which was a technical success but a commercial flop. The suspension system was too heavy and too expensive for automakers to incorporate into their vehicles without a radical redesign (the extra weight also didn't help gas mileage). Plenty were enamored with the performance and said it was the best-riding car they'd ever been in. Jaguar, Mercedes, Honda and Ferrari were all interested. But once they crunched the numbers, they always left Bose at the altar.

Although Bose used what it learned to create Bose Ride, a special car seat for truckers, the Project Sound suspension system remains indefinitely garaged. Nowadays it's only brought out for a seldom-seen demo.

The company that created those products has long been considered guarded, insular and secretive. Its charismatic and intensely private founder reflected his company's personality, instilling a sense of superiority and ambition in its culture. He had a sign on his desk that said, "If you think something is impossible, don't disturb the person who is doing it!"
Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 15

Personally in my own car, I'm a big fan of just depressing or elevating the stalk lightly and get the 3-4 blinks to indicate lane change. 

Same, I even go to the extent of tapping it every few secs to keep the blinker going when I need it to blink for longer instead of just doing the full depress.

Hypersonic

Isnt the signal stick on the left for almost all conti cars and American cars? Even Hyundai has changed from right to left.

Subaru is also on the left.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Honestly, I didn't know that these Renaults come with RMR layout / setup! Thanks for sharing. [nod]  [thumbsup]

Renault hatches have a long history of stuffing rear engines into their hatches and creating crazy RMR little cars.

I think it started with the 1st gen R5. I seem to recall seeing at least one on the road as a kid but memories can be deceiving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_5_Turbo

For me the ultimate rear/mid engine hatch will always be the Rover 6R4.

Until BMW decides to stuff the N63 into the back of a 1 series......

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Same, I even go to the extent of tapping it every few secs to keep the blinker going when I need it to blink for longer instead of just doing the full depress.

Me I tend to hold it down at the half-notch to activate till not further needed but tend to not actually fully engage it anymore...

OK, here's a quick question: What come immediately to your mind when you see these 2 logos? Come on, you don't need more than a second to come out with an answer... ...  [cool]

A new Lexus with premium sound system by Bose, or a JV between the 2 giants to create the next generation sound system for luxury rides? Sorry pal, you are completely wrong, so am I. While Bose is better know for it sound system, they are into other business as well (but mostly if not all are still at R&D stage).

The following video I am going to show you is mind blowing!! Sit tight (well you actually don't need to, if you the occupant in that white LS [;)]).

Now, what exactly is this all about? Heard of Project Sound? Why they didn't name it as Magic Carpet Ride??

Back in the 1980s, Bose began working on a secret project that it hoped would change the automobile forever: an Electromagnetic Car-Suspension System, code-named Project Sound.

The system was designed to anticipate and rise above bumps in the road, a little like riding on a magic carpet. It was the brainchild of Amar Bose, the founder of the company who died in 2013.

Current CEO Bob Maresca was lured to work at Bose in 1986 by the ambition of the project.

"I wouldn't have come up here [bose] if there wasn't a chance it was impossible," he told CNET in a lengthy interview.

Maresca worked 11 years on the project, which was a technical success but a commercial flop. The suspension system was too heavy and too expensive for automakers to incorporate into their vehicles without a radical redesign (the extra weight also didn't help gas mileage). Plenty were enamored with the performance and said it was the best-riding car they'd ever been in. Jaguar, Mercedes, Honda and Ferrari were all interested. But once they crunched the numbers, they always left Bose at the altar.

Although Bose used what it learned to create Bose Ride, a special car seat for truckers, the Project Sound suspension system remains indefinitely garaged. Nowadays it's only brought out for a seldom-seen demo.

The company that created those products has long been considered guarded, insular and secretive. Its charismatic and intensely private founder reflected his company's personality, instilling a sense of superiority and ambition in its culture. He had a sign on his desk that said, "If you think something is impossible, don't disturb the person who is doing it!"

I've heard of this before... I wonder how it compares to modern hydraulic or air suspensions?

Hypersonic

Lexus-logo+1.pngbose-logo.jpg

I think at an extra US$5k it was deem too expensive

but with the drop in price in electronics these days

I hope this can be revived.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1