What's So Special About These Cars

Carbon82

Turbocharged

Not only chicken, but cats too. Cats are able to withstand falling from height and that will interesting if can be applied on suspension system.

It helps that cats are small creatures that do not weigh a lot. Same with ants and other insects that can withstand falls that are in relative terms like having a human fall from 80th storey.

The heavier an object is the harder it gets for it to sustain impacts from height. A cat weighs less than 10kg typically, a usual car weighs like 215 cats.

Actually though I thought now some of the AIRMATIC, Hydramatic etc. suspension systems have some sort of realtime sensing and reactions to forces acting on the car to provide the 'magic carpet' ride?

↡ Advertisement

That's why Uber or Grab cars should pay 6 or 7 times more road tax compared to normal car owners like us.

LTA really sleeping on its head - so much for "car-lite" and encouraging Uber, Grab, Car Sharing etc. One can only conclude they are only interested to drive up COE premium, drive up petro consumption (thus more duties collected), ERP rates, and providing employment of last resort for the retrenched ones.

Bro, 2 more years.

It's all happening soon with GPS.

• Praise 1

That's why Uber or Grab cars should pay 6 or 7 times more road tax compared to normal car owners like us.

LTA really sleeping on its head - so much for "car-lite" and encouraging Uber, Grab, Car Sharing etc.  One can only conclude they are only interested to drive up COE premium, drive up petro consumption (thus more duties collected), ERP rates, and providing employment of last resort for the retrenched ones.

Not every Uber/Grab car is on the road all the time.

I think road tax should be charged by mileage. With upcoming GPS ERP definitely will be able to track. Plus it will also make it impossible to tamper odo as all the records will be with Govt.

Turbocharged

LTA really sleeping on its head - so much for "car-lite" and encouraging Uber, Grab, Car Sharing etc.  One can only conclude they are only interested to drive up COE premium, drive up petro consumption (thus more duties collected), ERP rates, and providing employment of last resort for the retrenched ones.

I don't mind paying road tax based on mileage travelled, if that will help to reduce car usage. Road is the scarce resource, so the more you use it the more you should pay, that is fair and will help to shape driver behaviour. People will think twice before driving if they don't really need to, leaving the roads less congested for those who need to drive or willing to pay.

This car mileage really champion....

Obvious uber/grab car... who dare to buy at this price? 1 year mileage = 4 years for other people. Give at least 30k discount la.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Not every Uber/Grab car is on the road all the time.

I think road tax should be charged by mileage. With upcoming GPS ERP definitely will be able to track. Plus it will also make it impossible to tamper odo as all the records will be with Govt.

Isn't that the same as GPS ERP. Everyone just pay the base road tax. Then those that travel more will automatically pay more once GPS ERP implemented.

• Praise 1

Isn't that the same as GPS ERP. Everyone just pay the base road tax. Then those that travel more will automatically pay more once GPS ERP implemented.

But ERP is ERP. Road tax is road tax.

People who buy car sit at home should probably pay a bit less road tax.

LTA really sleeping on its head - so much for "car-lite" and encouraging Uber, Grab, Car Sharing etc. One can only conclude they are only interested to drive up COE premium, drive up petro consumption (thus more duties collected), ERP rates, and providing employment of last resort for the retrenched ones.

Govt will say u also can use ur car unlimited mileage also.
  • Praise 2

I guess everyone here would not be unfamiliar with the term "Badge Engineering", and straight away brands such as GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, Nissan, etc. would pop up in your mind. In the recent years, even some of the premium auto manufacturers such as Mercedes-Benz has hopped onto the rebranding wagon, sharing product with Renault (Citan is based on Kangoo, upcoming X-Class will be based on Alaskan). So what about BMW? Do they have any badge engineering model in their lineup? No? Think harder (and I am not referring to Mini BTW)... ...

Actually the badge engineered model from BMW came much earlier than most of the brands I mentioned above. To be precise, it first appears in April 1955, and is also the 1st mid engine, rear wheel driven BMW (way before the iconic M1 sport car)!

BMW Isetta

BMW-Isetta_1955_1600x1200_wallpaper_02.j5206146390_e90d0539d4_o.jpg3efd5a004945b5d4132815209c05f90a.jpgBMW-Isetta_mp2_pic_43758.jpgbmw-isetta-interior-2.jpg

The Isetta is an Italian-designed microcar built under license in a number of different countries, including Spain, Belgium, France, Brazil, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Because of its egg shape and bubble-like windows, it became known as a bubble car, a name also given to other similar vehicles.

In 1955, the BMW Isetta became the world's first mass-production car to achieve a fuel consumption of 3 L/100 km (94 mpg). It was the top-selling single-cylinder car in the world, with 161,728 units sold. Initially manufactured by the Italian firm Iso SpA, the name Isetta is the Italian diminutive form of ISO, meaning little ISO.

The car originated with the Italian firm of Iso SpA. In the early 1950s the company was building refrigerators, motor scooters and small three-wheeled trucks. Iso's owner, Renzo Rivolta, decided he would like to build a small car for mass distribution. By 1952 the engineers Ermenegildo Preti and Pierluigi Raggi had designed a small car that used the motorcycle engine of the Iso Moto 200 and named it Isetta.

The Isetta caused a sensation when it was introduced to the motoring press in Turin in November 1953, it was unlike anything seen before. Small (only 2.29 m long by 1.37 m wide) and egg-shaped, with bubble-type windows, the entire front end of the car hinged outwards to allow entry. In the event of a crash, the driver and passenger were to exit through the canvas sunroof. The steering wheel and instrument panel swung out with the single door, as this made access to the single bench seat simpler. The seat provided reasonable comfort for two occupants, and perhaps a small child. Behind the seat was a large parcel shelf with a spare wheel located below. A heater was optional, and ventilation was provided by opening the fabric sunroof.

Power came from a 236 cc, 7.1 kW (9.5 hp) split-single two-stroke motorcycle engine. The engine was started by a combination generator-starter known as Dynastart. A manual gearbox provided four forward speeds and reverse. A chain drive connected the gearbox to a solid rear axle with a pair of closely spaced 25 cm rear wheels. The first prototypes had one wheel at the rear, but having a single rear wheel made the car prone to roll-overs, so the rear wheel layout was changed to two wheels set 48 cm (19 in) apart from each other. This narrow track eliminated the need for a differential. The front axle was a modified version of a Dubonnet independent front suspension.

The Isetta took over 30 seconds to reach 50 km/h (31 mph) from rest. Top speed was only about 75 km/h (47 mph). The fuel tank held only 13 litres (2.9 imp gal). However, the Isetta would get somewhere between 5.6 l/100 km; (50 mpg) and 4.0 l/100 km; (70 mpg) depending on how it was driven. In 1954, Iso entered several Isettas in the legendary Mille Miglia where they took the top three spots in the economy classification. Over a distance of 1,600 km the drivers achieved an average speed of over 70 km/h (43 mph). In view of its maximum speed, which was just 15 km/h (9 mph) higher, this was an almost incredible figure. However, despite its initial success, the Isetta was beginning to slip in popularity at home. This was mainly due to renewed competition from Fiat with its 500C model.

Renzo Rivolta was extremely interested in doing licensing deals. Plants in Spain and Belgium were already assembling Isettas and Autocarros using Italian made Iso components. BMW began talking with Rivolta in mid-1954 and bought not just a license but the complete Isetta body tooling as well. Rivolta did not stop with licensing the Isetta to BMW. He negotiated similar deals with companies in France and Brazil.

BMW made the Isetta its own. They redesigned the powerplant around a BMW one-cylinder, four-stroke, 247 cc motorcycle engine which generated 10 kW (13 hp). Although the major elements of the Italian design remained intact, BMW re-engineered much of the car, so much so that none of the parts between a BMW Isetta Moto Coupe and an Iso Isetta are interchangeable. The first BMW Isetta appeared in April 1955.

While it retained the "Bubble Window" styling, it differed from the Italian model in that its headlamps were fixed separately to the sides of the bodywork and it carried the BMW badge below the windscreen. The car was also redesigned to take a modified version of the 250 cc four-stroke engine from the BMW R25/3 motorcycle and the front suspension was changed. The single-cylinder generated 9 kW (12 hp) at 5800 rpm. In addition to further changes of detail, the BMW engineers enlarged the sump for installation in the car and cooled the engine by means of a radial fan and shrouded ducting.

The power train from the four-speed gearbox to the two rear wheels was also unusual: fixed to the gearbox output drive was something called a Hardy disc, which was a cardan joint made of rubber. On the other side of it was a cardan shaft, and finally a second Hardy disc, which in turn was located at the entrance to a chain case. A duplex chain running in an oil bath led finally to a rigid shaft, at each end of which were the two rear wheels. Thanks to this elaborate power transfer, the engine-gearbox unit was both free of tension and well soundproofed in its linkage to the rear axle.

In Germany, the Isetta could even be driven with a motorcycle license. The top speed of the Isetta 250 was rated as 85 km/h (53 mph).

The first BMW Isetta rolled off the line in April 1955, and in the next eight months some 10,000 of the "bubblecars" were produced. However, in May 1962, three years after launching the conventionally modern-looking BMW 700, BMW ceased production of Isettas. A total of 161,728 units had been built.

• Praise 11

Hypersonic
(edited)

They are cute and look like "salamanders" ; doubt if anyone will ever land on our sea shore. Also they are well sought after and not really cheap too; People would rather go for a mini which is still available in abundance and cheaper than this Isetta    

I guess everyone here would not be unfamiliar with the term "Badge Engineering", and straight away brands such as GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, Nissan, etc. would pop up in your mind. In the recent years, even some of the premium auto manufacturers such as Mercedes-Benz has hopped onto the rebranding wagon, sharing product with Renault (Citan is based on Kangoo, upcoming X-Class will be based on Alaskan). So what about BMW? Do they have any badge engineering model in their lineup? No? Think harder (and I am not referring to Mini BTW)... ...

Actually the badge engineered model from BMW came much earlier than most of the brands I mentioned above. To be precise, it first appears in April 1955, and is also the 1st mid engine, rear wheel driven BMW (way before the iconic M1 sport car)!

BMW Isetta

The Isetta is an Italian-designed microcar built under license in a number of different countries, including Spain, Belgium, France, Brazil, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Because of its egg shape and bubble-like windows, it became known as a bubble car, a name also given to other similar vehicles.

In 1955, the BMW Isetta became the world's first mass-production car to achieve a fuel consumption of 3 L/100 km (94 mpg). It was the top-selling single-cylinder car in the world, with 161,728 units sold. Initially manufactured by the Italian firm Iso SpA, the name Isetta is the Italian diminutive form of ISO, meaning little ISO.

The car originated with the Italian firm of Iso SpA. In the early 1950s the company was building refrigerators, motor scooters and small three-wheeled trucks. Iso's owner, Renzo Rivolta, decided he would like to build a small car for mass distribution. By 1952 the engineers Ermenegildo Preti and Pierluigi Raggi had designed a small car that used the motorcycle engine of the Iso Moto 200 and named it Isetta.

The Isetta caused a sensation when it was introduced to the motoring press in Turin in November 1953, it was unlike anything seen before. Small (only 2.29 m long by 1.37 m wide) and egg-shaped, with bubble-type windows, the entire front end of the car hinged outwards to allow entry. In the event of a crash, the driver and passenger were to exit through the canvas sunroof. The steering wheel and instrument panel swung out with the single door, as this made access to the single bench seat simpler. The seat provided reasonable comfort for two occupants, and perhaps a small child. Behind the seat was a large parcel shelf with a spare wheel located below. A heater was optional, and ventilation was provided by opening the fabric sunroof.

Power came from a 236 cc, 7.1 kW (9.5 hp) split-single two-stroke motorcycle engine. The engine was started by a combination generator-starter known as Dynastart. A manual gearbox provided four forward speeds and reverse. A chain drive connected the gearbox to a solid rear axle with a pair of closely spaced 25 cm rear wheels. The first prototypes had one wheel at the rear, but having a single rear wheel made the car prone to roll-overs, so the rear wheel layout was changed to two wheels set 48 cm (19 in) apart from each other. This narrow track eliminated the need for a differential. The front axle was a modified version of a Dubonnet independent front suspension.

The Isetta took over 30 seconds to reach 50 km/h (31 mph) from rest. Top speed was only about 75 km/h (47 mph). The fuel tank held only 13 litres (2.9 imp gal). However, the Isetta would get somewhere between 5.6 l/100 km; (50 mpg) and 4.0 l/100 km; (70 mpg) depending on how it was driven. In 1954, Iso entered several Isettas in the legendary Mille Miglia where they took the top three spots in the economy classification. Over a distance of 1,600 km the drivers achieved an average speed of over 70 km/h (43 mph). In view of its maximum speed, which was just 15 km/h (9 mph) higher, this was an almost incredible figure. However, despite its initial success, the Isetta was beginning to slip in popularity at home. This was mainly due to renewed competition from Fiat with its 500C model.

Renzo Rivolta was extremely interested in doing licensing deals. Plants in Spain and Belgium were already assembling Isettas and Autocarros using Italian made Iso components. BMW began talking with Rivolta in mid-1954 and bought not just a license but the complete Isetta body tooling as well. Rivolta did not stop with licensing the Isetta to BMW. He negotiated similar deals with companies in France and Brazil.

BMW made the Isetta its own. They redesigned the powerplant around a BMW one-cylinder, four-stroke, 247 cc motorcycle engine which generated 10 kW (13 hp). Although the major elements of the Italian design remained intact, BMW re-engineered much of the car, so much so that none of the parts between a BMW Isetta Moto Coupe and an Iso Isetta are interchangeable. The first BMW Isetta appeared in April 1955.

While it retained the "Bubble Window" styling, it differed from the Italian model in that its headlamps were fixed separately to the sides of the bodywork and it carried the BMW badge below the windscreen. The car was also redesigned to take a modified version of the 250 cc four-stroke engine from the BMW R25/3 motorcycle and the front suspension was changed. The single-cylinder generated 9 kW (12 hp) at 5800 rpm. In addition to further changes of detail, the BMW engineers enlarged the sump for installation in the car and cooled the engine by means of a radial fan and shrouded ducting.

The power train from the four-speed gearbox to the two rear wheels was also unusual: fixed to the gearbox output drive was something called a Hardy disc, which was a cardan joint made of rubber. On the other side of it was a cardan shaft, and finally a second Hardy disc, which in turn was located at the entrance to a chain case. A duplex chain running in an oil bath led finally to a rigid shaft, at each end of which were the two rear wheels. Thanks to this elaborate power transfer, the engine-gearbox unit was both free of tension and well soundproofed in its linkage to the rear axle.

In Germany, the Isetta could even be driven with a motorcycle license. The top speed of the Isetta 250 was rated as 85 km/h (53 mph).

The first BMW Isetta rolled off the line in April 1955, and in the next eight months some 10,000 of the "bubblecars" were produced. However, in May 1962, three years after launching the conventionally modern-looking BMW 700, BMW ceased production of Isettas. A total of 161,728 units had been built.

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 4

They are cute and look like "salamanders" ; doubt if anyone will ever land on our sea shore. Also they are well sought after and not really cheap too; People would rather go for a mini which is still available in abundance and cheaper than this Isetta    

Bro, I can confirm there is at least 1 Isetta in Singapore. Seen that at PML used car showroom at Alexandra a few years back, a green colour unit, bearing a vintage plate (SB97xx, if my memory don't fail me). I did took a few photos of it, let me check my computers for it.

Actually the rare one is Isetta 600, the enlarged version of the original Isetta, with 2 rows of seats and 2 proper size / spaced rear wheels. Only about 34,000 units were produced.

bmw-600-2.jpg

bmw-600-6.jpg

bmw-600-1.jpgbmw-600-3.jpg

• Praise 13

Hypersonic

...........  Bro....... I cannot even afford to hang around BMW shoeroom [bigcry] 

I remember Ford show room got Mustang (LHD) see see no touch 1

Bro, I can confirm there is at least 1 Isetta in Singapore. Seen that at PML used car showroom at Alexandra a few years back, a green colour unit, bearing a vintage plate (SB97xx, if my memory don't fail me). I did took a few photos of it, let me check my computers for it.

Actually the rare one is Isetta 600, the enlarged version of the original Isetta, with 2 rows of seats and 2 proper size / spaced rear wheels. Only about 34,000 units were produced.

• Praise 5

...........  Bro....... I cannot even afford to hang around BMW shoeroom [bigcry] 

I remember Ford show room got Mustang (LHD) see see no touch 1

Bro, I thought you said before you are staying next to Istana, how come cannot afford to hang around BMW showroom? Or was it that you only hang around RR / Bentley showroom... [:p]

Aiyah, I am the real poor one, cannot afford a new BMW (even the smallest 1 series), so thought of trying my luck with very old model mah, thought I can get it at a just a few K for such small and old ride... [grin]

Anyway, I am not able to find the photos of that Isetta taken by me (I remembered the registration plate is still the old vintage type with big round font instead of these, which indicate that the ride has been deregistered), so turning to my bff, Mr. Google, for help and found these:

12070992_1506675589655679_1253049284_n.j11917789_1492975834333025_1104294510_n.j12224209_447742288747364_907166397_n.jpg12224562_1034248899929268_1703734718_n.j927733_676604019100314_1195134941_n.jpg

• Praise 13

Hypersonic

Bro Carbon..... your are purrfectly correct - yes I am staying next to the Istana, not the house next to Plaza Singapura  .......... in the workers dorm or quarters and wash cars for a living,

I can wash cars for any Sis's :wub: here for free one, hope @Jamesc no cum n kachau me      

Bro, I thought you said before you are staying next to Istana, how come cannot afford to hang around BMW showroom? Or was it that you only hang around RR / Bentley showroom... [:p]

Aiyah, I am the real poor one, cannot afford a new BMW (even the smallest 1 series), so thought of trying my luck with very old model mah, thought I can get it at a just a few K for such small and old ride... [grin]

Anyway, I am not able to find the photos of that Isetta taken by me (I remembered the registration plate is still the old vintage type with big round font instead of these, which indicate that the ride has been deregistered), so turning to my bff, Mr. Google, for help and found these:

927733_676604019100314_1195134941_n.jpg

• Praise 6

(edited)

Noticed any difference between these 2 Hyundai Veloster? Err... please don't tell me colour, trim or rim, it is something else.

veloster_2_exterior_2_3_door_access_800x1792.jpg

What about this pair of Nissan Cube?

Nissan_cube_15G_rear.jpg2012-Nissan-Cube-rear-view.jpg

Still clueless? OK, here is one last hint...

maxresdefault.jpg

Now, the cars above are available in both left and right hand drive version, and have you, by now, noticed that the most obvious difference is with the door (no. of doors and it direction of opening)?

To many of us, the difference between left and right hand drive is merely with the placement of driver seat and steering on either side of the car. But, actually there are some other works to be done, and that include the direction of swing for the wiper, hand brake placement, etc. and for the above models, extensive rework to the body is also needed.

For Veloster, it has the unique 3 doors design (1 on driver side and 2 on passenger side). The reason behind this arrangement is to allow easier access by the passengers in and out of the car, and obviously, the passenger side has to be away from traffic flow. Thus when selling the car in different countries, the door placement will have to be adjusted accordingly.

Another car with similar 3 door configuration was the 2007 Mini Clubman, but to save cost, the door arrangement remain the same for left and right hand drive model, which draw some critics shortly after the car was launched, and thus for the new model (2015 onward), it ditch the 3 door design for a more practical 4 door version.

Mini-Clubman-2008-1600-64.jpg

For Nissan, one of the signature design of Cube is with the swinging rear door (instead of lifted type as with conventional hatch). As Nissan try to make it Cube to look more rounded and trendy, the door is non-symmetrical, and thus it has to be orientated in different way for sales in different countries, all for safety reason.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 15

There is something that caught my attention when I first came across the W124 E-Class & W201 190E. Wanna to guess what is that special feature?

w124%20autowp.ru_mercedes-benz_e500_limiMERCEDES-BENZ-190--W201--936_41.jpg

OK, I am referring to the mono wiper system, which was also available on the W210 E-Class, W202 C-Class, R129 SL and C208 CLK. Before I goes into the details of the mono-wiper system, here are some of the more common wiper system.

Tandem System

400px-Scheibenwischer1.svg.png

Opposed System

400px-Scheibenwischer9.svg.png

Simple Mono Blade System

400px-Scheibenwischer3.svg.png

And in the Mercedes model I have listed above, they came with a unique Complex Mono Blade System.

400px-Scheibenwischer4.svg.png

Unlike the simple mono-blade system, it offers a larger area of wipe, and for the W124, it can cover up to 86% of the windscreen, which is pretty impressive.

Mercedes_Monoblade_190E_2.jpg

Mercedes_Monoblade_3.jpg

I will leave the video to provide the explanation on how the system work. I simply love the "dancing" movement when it is in work! This wiper system was omitted from newer model, probably due to cost and difficulty in maintenance.

• Praise 13

Twincharged

Mercedes Benz,80-90's Models like W124,126,129 are really "Over Engineering" Cars at that time.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1