What's So Special About These Cars

Carbon82

Turbocharged

The twin mode trunks add unnecessary weight and complication without obvious advantage compared to a one-piece liftback.

Honda's door does have some added usefulness though (when closing from the inside).

It helps with the car's weight distribution since most after front engined.. It may not be the designer's intention but it does helps

My car's battery is in the boot instead of the front. It's said to have a nearly 50-50 weight distribution

↡ Advertisement

If I ask you to name the 7 seater model from Audi, Mercedes & Volvo, I think most if not all with come out with Q7, R-Class, V-Class & XC90. But actually before these models become available, the 3 auto manufacturers already have other 7 seater in their lineup. OK to be fair, it is more appropriate to label them as 5 + 2 seater. So have you got it by now?

Volvo V70 / XC70

$_86.JPG

OK, you should know by now why is it called 5 + 2 seater, right?

Whoa, I didn't know Volvo already has a proper 7 seater about 40 years ago...

kqcSJ6a.jpg

volvo_264_te_4.jpg2BjhV9w.jpg

• Praise 8

Whoa, I didn't know Volvo already has a proper 7 seater about 40 years ago...

kqcSJ6a.jpg

volvo_264_te_4.jpg2BjhV9w.jpg

wow this looks more like a limo than an MPV...
  • Praise 1

MEET THE WORLD'S ONLY FERRARI TESTAROSSA SPIDER

https://www.motor1.com/news/186060/meet-only-ferrari-testarossa-spider/

One-off Spider built for the boss.

ferrari-testarossa-spider.jpg

It’s the 1980’s and you’re the flamboyant character that is Gianni Agnelli. You have been in charge of Fiat for 20 years and want to celebrate by treating yourself to something a bit special. It needs to be stylish, unique and something that only you can get your hands on. How about the world’s only Ferrari Testarossa Spider?

In 1986 Agnelli commissioned a one-off of Ferrari’s flagship of the era. The car was finished in silver with lavish dark blue upholstery. Why not red? AG is the periodic table’s symbol for silver, an element represented by the first two letters of his last name. Even the prancing horse was cast in the precious metal.

Ferrari didn’t just cut the roof off and give the result to the boss, they actually spent a lot of time engineering this car. The floor was strengthened and an electrically operated hoop was fitted to support the soft-top.

Another bit of engineering ingenuity came in the form of this car’s five-speed manual transmission. It worked just like any other manual you might find in a Testarossa, except for a button marked Valeo. Push it and the clutch pedal retracts like something from a Bond film and the gearbox goes into an automatic mode. Agnelli carried an old leg injury, so having an automatic supercar was very appealing to him. A similar modification was made to his Ferrari F40.

Under the bespoke engine cover is the same 390-hp 5.0-liter flat-twelve engine found in the coupe.

Agnelli was well known for his unique personal requests. He also owned the world’s only Lancia Delta Intergrale Spider and Fiat Multipla Spider. However, the Testarossa remains the most coveted.

The Ferrari Testarossa Spider was sold at auction in 2016 for over £1 million ($1.3M). At the time it only had 14,300 miles (23,013 kilometers) on the clock.

Let’s hope its new owner aims to use it more then Gianni Agnelli did.

• Praise 3

While making a post earlier about keeping sufficient clearance when parking, this feature found in older German car, particularly Mercedes-Benz and Audi, sudden pop up in my mind.

How many of you have noticed that the W124 200E / E-Class, W201 190E, B5 A4, C4 A6, etc. has a smaller wing mirror on the passenger side of the car? And why is it so? [confused]  [confused]

autowp.ru_mercedes-benz_300e_4matic_4.jpautowp.ru_mercedes-benz_190_5.jpegautowp.ru_audi_a4_1.8_tdi_sedan_8.jpegautowp.ru_audi_a6_avant_7.jpeg

While no official information can be found online, but given that wing mirror on passenger side do not even exist (not mandatory) a generation earlier, the best guess is that since it is a good to have feature (back then), it would be wise to make it smaller (with wide angle surface to enable similar coverage as on the driver side), so that it get less chance of being damaged by passing vehicles or cyclist, especially along some of the narrow driveway in Europe. [idea]

And here are some modern cars (in the early 80s)without wing mirror on the passenger side, as I have mentioned above.

mercedes-benz_190_3_1.jpegamg_mercedes-benz_230_e_1.jpegautowp.ru_audi_80_quattro_1.jpegaudi_100_quattro_3.jpegbmw_323i_coupe_1.jpegalpina_b10_3.5_1.jpeg

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 8

While making a post earlier about keeping sufficient clearance when parking, this feature found in older German car, particularly Mercedes-Benz and Audi, sudden pop up in my mind.

How many of you have noticed that the W124 200E / E-Class, W201 190E, B5 A4, C4 A6, etc. has a smaller wing mirror on the passenger side of the car? And why is it so? [confused]  [confused]

autowp.ru_mercedes-benz_300e_4matic_4.jpautowp.ru_mercedes-benz_190_5.jpegautowp.ru_audi_a4_1.8_tdi_sedan_8.jpegautowp.ru_audi_a6_avant_7.jpeg

While no official information can be found online, but given that wing mirror on passenger side do not even exist (not mandatory) a generation earlier, the best guess is that since it is a good to have feature (back then), it would be wise to make it smaller (with wide angle surface to enable similar coverage as on the driver side), so that it get less chance of being damaged by passing vehicles or cyclist, especially along some of the narrow driveway in Europe. [idea]

And here are some modern cars (in the early 80s)without wing mirror on the passenger side, as I have mentioned above.

mercedes-benz_190_3_1.jpegamg_mercedes-benz_230_e_1.jpegautowp.ru_audi_80_quattro_1.jpegaudi_100_quattro_3.jpegbmw_323i_coupe_1.jpegalpina_b10_3.5_1.jpeg

What abt Jepun cars then? Also only one side mirror?

What abt Jepun cars then? Also only one side mirror?

Seems that some Japanese model sold in US and Europe also do not have wing mirror on the passenger side. :slow:

autowp.ru_mazda_323_sp_2.jpegautowp.ru_mazda_626_sedan_17.jpegdatsun_bluebird_sedan_6.jpegtoyota_corolla_sedan_12_2.jpegautowp.ru_honda_accord_sedan_160.jpeg

• Praise 10

One and only limited edition Pope Lamborghini.  [laugh]

Lamborghini Has Built A One-Off Huracan For The Pope

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/11/16/Lamborghini-Has-Built-A-One-Off-Huracan-For-The-Pope-7742026/

Poep-iv.jpg?width=640

Yes, you read that right. Lamborghini has built a bespoke one-off Huracan exclusively for one very prestigious client: His Holiness Pope Francis. Pope Francis isn’t known to be an auto enthusiast. In fact, he prefers to be seen in his modest Fiat 500 and Ford Focus than the famous Popemobile. So before you start imagining the head of the Roman-Catholic faith making public appearances in a V10-powered Lamborghini Huracan, he has no intention of keeping it.

And no, he didn’t splash out on the supercar either – it was presented to the Pope as a donation at a special ceremony in Vatican City alongside company executives including Lamborghini CEO Stefano Domenicali. Two technicians that helped build the car also attended the event. The supercar has been donated to Pope Francis for noble causes, of course. The Huracan, which has been personally signed by His Holiness Pope Francis, will be auctioned off at RM Sotheby’s on May 12 2018. Once sold, proceeds will be donated to charities helping victims of human trafficking, vulnerable women and children on the African continent, and Christians suffering persecution in Iraq.

The winning bidder will then be the proud owner of a one-of-a-kind Lamborghini Huracan LP580-2 produced by the company’s Ad Personam customization department. It’s finished in a white Bianco Monocerus finish with yellow Giallo Tiberino stripes running along the body as a homage to the colors of the flag of Vatican City.

• Praise 1

Wow! That's damn zai!

Testarossa was one of my childhood favourite cars of all time. I would love to have that Spider.  [laugh]

I saw a red hardtop Testarossa zip by me along Scotts Road yesterday afternoon while i was crossing the road! Hands full and no time to whip out the handphone and take pic...

• Praise 1

Just to contribute...since my nick is Alphard..

Do you all know that the first generation Alphard, 15 yrs ago, their top of the line 3L V6 MZG version has this unique feature, some call it electric curtain, others power curtain, for the rear glass door, rear 2nd window and 3rd row window, individually, control by buttons on centre console between driver and passenger seat.

Unfortunately, subsequent second generation alphard/vellfire and current 3rd generation do not have these options anymore.

That time, alphard was very rare in SG, possibly not many want to  be seen driving a VAN, more common in Malaysia and very popular in Hong Kong.  The first generation alphard that I previously owned, bought from Richburg, is a relatively low spec one, only 2.4, without the above feature.

Anyone can find video of the power curtain in operation? Bro Carbon82 can assist, thanks in advance...

post-146820-0-60745900-1510935419_thumb.jpg

post-146820-0-71040000-1510935424_thumb.jpg

post-146820-0-99000500-1510935433_thumb.jpg

post-146820-0-63436000-1510935455_thumb.jpg

post-146820-0-76544200-1510935463.jpg

Edited by alphard96
  • Praise 4

Just to contribute...since my nick is Alphard..

Do you all know that the first generation Alphard, 15 yrs ago, their top of the line 3L V6 MZG version has this unique feature, some call it electric curtain, others power curtain, for the rear glass door, rear 2nd window and 3rd row window, individually, control by buttons on centre console between driver and passenger seat.

Unfortunately, subsequent second generation alphard/vellfire and current 3rd generation do not have these options anymore.

That time, alphard was very rare in SG, possibly not many want to  be seen driving a VAN, more common in Malaysia and very popular in Hong Kong.  The first generation alphard that I previously owned, bought from Richburg, is a relatively low spec one, only 2.4, without the above feature.

Anyone can find video of the power curtain in operation? Bro Carbon82 can assist, thanks in advance...

Thanks for sharing. :a-m1212:  One of my ex-colleague has the 1st gen Alphard 3.0L (in Malaysia), but did not hear him mentioned about this feature during the time I took his ride. I shall check with him if I get to meet him again.

Yes Sir! :excl: Your request my command, and here are 2 detailed video on the 1st gen Alphard 3.0L.  [:)]

Jump to 2:50 min mark for the demo on electric curtains.

Jump to 6:10 min mark for the demo on electric curtains.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 8

I have been seeing more of these COE alphards on the roads recently. Previously all kept at home? 

Guess now make more sense to run limousine services (not PHV) using it as the price is just half as before.

What does Lamborghini Diablo (facelift version) have in common with Nissan 300ZX (Z32)?

lamborghini_diablo_sv_8.jpgautowp.ru_nissan_300zx_twin_turbo_2_2_eu

No clue? Now, look at this set of photos, with your EYES wide open...

lamborghini_diablo_vt_31.jpgnissan_300zx_twin_turbo_t-top_3.jpeg

Can SEE it now? Yes, enough of hints, they share the same Headlights!

lamborghini_diablo_vt_roadster_36.jpgautowp.ru_nissan_300zx_twin_turbo_2_2_eu

• Praise 8

What does Lamborghini Diablo (facelift version) have in common with Nissan 300ZX (Z32)?

autowp.ru_nissan_300zx_twin_turbo_2_2_eu

No clue? Now, look at this set of photos, with your EYES wide open...

nissan_300zx_twin_turbo_t-top_3.jpeg

Can SEE it now? Yes, enough of hints, they share the same Headlights!

autowp.ru_nissan_300zx_twin_turbo_2_2_eu

love the Nissan! why do Jap manufacturers not make such cars any more... miss the 80s and 90s cars...  [bigcry]

Edited by kdash
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3