inlinesix

bmw_8_series_gran-coupe.jpg

bmw_8_series_gc.jpg

bmw_8_series_Gran_Coupe_1.jpg

BMW-8-Series-Gran-Coupe-interior-01.jpg

BMW-8-Series-Gran-Coupe-interior-03.jpg

BMW-8-Series-Gran-Coupe-interior-02.jpg

BMW-8-Series-Gran-Coupe-interior-04.jpg

The rear seat look kind of weird, 3 seat belt provided, by the huge center console with aircon vent do not seems to allow anyone to sit in the middle, unless he/she don't mind to kar kui kui and let the cold air blow directly at the groin area! :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

And I thought the 3rd passenger seating for the 6GC was bad until I see this 8GC [smallcry]

Looks like visa confirm will not be approved by CFO....

• Praise 2

The rear seat look kind of weird, 3 seat belt provided, by the huge center console with aircon vent do not seems to allow anyone to sit in the middle, unless he/she don't mind to kar kui kui and let the cold air blow directly at the groin area! :D

excellent design for SG climate...rear middle seat can air pussy :a-m1212:

weather is hot and humid  [sunny]

kenna group 1 will buy to ferry my female friends  :a-toast:

bmw_8_series_gran-coupe.jpg

bmw_8_series_gc.jpg

bmw_8_series_Gran_Coupe_1.jpg

BMW-8-Series-Gran-Coupe-interior-01.jpg

BMW-8-Series-Gran-Coupe-interior-03.jpg

BMW-8-Series-Gran-Coupe-interior-02.jpg

BMW-8-Series-Gran-Coupe-interior-04.jpg

Those with chow lumpar cannot sit center

• Praise 3

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_43_03fb04a10

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_48_04a8040b0

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_73_00d400670

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_99_07a903a10

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_96_021c01380

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_2_00a200000e

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_72_015300750

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_6_006f01430a

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_1.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_61.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_21.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_668.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_12.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_634.jpg

Another captivating sports car is joining the ranks of the new BMW 8-Series range. Following the launch of the new BMW 8-Series Coupe and new BMW 8-Series Convertible, the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is now poised to make its debut, combining dynamic prowess and a luxurious aura with a four-door body design and far more spacious rear passenger compartment. The third model variant in the line-up is a sports car brimming with individual character. Its everyday usability and impressive long-distance credentials open up new ways of enjoying the thrilling performance and emotion-packed design inherent in every BMW 8-Series. Exclusive equipment features and the very latest innovations in control/operation, driver assistance and connectivity advance the cause of modern luxury.

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is the only model in its segment derived directly from a two-door sports car. Exhilarating performance runs through its veins, a consequence of its development alongside the new BMW 8-Series Coupe and M8 GTE racing car - which competes in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (IWSC) in North America. This third model in the BMW 8-Series range adds more fuel to the ongoing product offensive in the luxury segment identified by the BMW Group - as part of its NUMBER ONE > NEXT strategy - as a key element in ensuring the company's sustained growth. The newcomer will be built alongside the BMW 8-Series Coupe and BMW 8-Series Convertible at BMW Plant Dingolfing in Lower Bavaria, which has acquired immense expertise in the manufacture of luxury cars in its long-standing role as the home of BMW 7-Series production. The worldwide launch of the new car will commence just a few months later, in September 2019.

Exterior design: sporting exclusivity, individual appeal

The combination of precisely drawn lines and expansive surfaces that runs like a thread through the BMW brand's new design language helps the exterior of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe to strike a unique balance between dynamism and elegance. The styling is symbolic of the car's billing as the BMW 8-Series model delivering sportiness at its most luxurious. The four-door coupe concept has been translated into a body of standout pomp and progressiveness.

Vehicle concept and design. A sports car of distinctive character

As well as its distinctive proportions, the design of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe's flanks and rear end also clearly distinguishes it from its 8-Series stablemates. The four-door model has a 3,023-millimetre wheelbase - an increase of 201 millimetres over the BMW 8-Series Coupe - and measures 5,082 millimetres in length (+ 231 mm), 1,932 millimetres in width (+ 30 mm) and 1,407 millimetres in height (+ 61 mm). The front track width of 1,627 mm is the same as the two-door car's, while the rear track of 1,671 millimetres is 28 millimetres wider, making it the widest of any model in the BMW line-up.

The Gran Coupe's front section is identical to the 8-Series Coupe's design up to the point where the A-pillars start. Because the windscreen frame is slightly more upright, the roofline already rises to a greater height by the time it reaches the front seats, meaning additional headroom in both the front and rear. The roofline merges smoothly into the tail in a graceful sweep, via a fin-shaped transition in the vicinity of the C-pillars that emphasises the elongated silhouette. The rear window, meanwhile, also follows a slightly steeper line in order to produce a larger boot aperture. The striking surface contouring around the C-pillars has been facilitated by a rear window that forms a fixed part of the body structure and a conventional boot lid. These two design features also have a positive impact on the body's torsional rigidity and acoustic comfort in the car's interior. Integrating the antenna technology into the rear window and boot lid has dispensed with the need for a roof fin.

Powerful front end, optional BMW Laserlight

Like the new BMW 8-Series Coupe and 8-Series Convertible, the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also has a front end with a broad, low-slung design that exudes sporting pedigree and confidence. The bonnet's powerfully sculpted surfaces and crisp contours add to this impression, as does the elaborate, jutting design of the front apron with its large air intakes, which assume an even more imposing appearance on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and when the M Sport package is specified. The two elements of the large, low-set BMW kidney grille are framed by a single-piece surround.

The slim twin headlights are positioned slightly higher and define the brand's signature look with LED units generating both the daytime driving lights and low/high-beam headlights from the two pairs of light tubes. Adaptive LED headlights featuring variable light distribution and cornering lights come as standard on the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. There is also the option of BMW Laserlight with variable road illumination and Selective Beam, which produces a high-beam range of around 600 metres. Blue accents inside the customary twin headlights reveal the presence of this highly sophisticated lighting technology.

Unique silhouette with gracefully flowing surfaces

The extra doors, dynamically stretched roofline and distinctively styled surfaces of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe help to give it an unmistakable silhouette. The side view - like that of the new BMW 8-Series Coupe - is composed of just a few crisp character lines that trace the flow of air exiting the Air Breathers. The car's flanks taper inwards around the doors before flaring out again like muscles above the rear wheel arches, producing an interplay of surfaces moulded here to particularly striking effect. The elegantly stretched design is further emphasised by a third line that takes in the door handles on its way to the powerfully contoured shoulders and C-pillar.

The side window graphic reaches its conclusion at the rear in another hallmark BMW design cue - the Hofmeister kink. On the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe, this counter-swing is very upright in form, emphasising the large surface of the C-pillar and therefore reinforcing the sense of presence and solidity in this area of the body.

Distinctive rear styling, optional panoramic roof with continuous glass surface

The rear end is a case study in power and presence, the powerfully flared wheel arches and wide track playing a defining role. The tail's horizontal lines and the sculptural contours of its surfaces give it a broad but also light appearance. The slim all-LED rear light clusters extending deep into the flanks add to this impression. Twin exhaust tailpipes with a trapezoidal contour are positioned either side of the rear apron's lower section. The tailpipes are integrated into the diffuser element on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and on models specified with the M Sport package.

The optional panoramic glass roof is one of the special features specific to the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. It takes the form of a continuous glass surface extending from the windscreen back to the rear window and is extremely generous in width. The result is a total glass surface area of around 1.5 square metres, giving the interior an exceptionally light and airy feel. The front section of the roof has an electric mechanism that allows it to be opened and closed at the touch of a button or with the radio remote control, delivering a controlled supply of fresh air. When opening, it first tilts up at the rear before sliding back over the fixed rear section. The two-ply interior blinds are finished in the same colour and material as the headliner and can also be operated electrically, while the rear blind can be opened and closed from the rear compartment as well.

Optimised aerodynamics and weight

The aerodynamic properties of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe have been honed by features including an almost completely sealed underbody, active air flap control with adjustable kidney grille slats, Air Curtains in the front apron and the super-slender exterior mirror bases. An additional front spoiler lip on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe minimises front-axle lift at high speeds.

An intelligent material mix and targeted lightweight design measures have minimised the weight of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. An aluminium monocoque construction is used for its doors and the outer skin of the roof, while elements such as the bonnet, front shear panel, engine subframe, front bulkhead and rear bumper support are also made from aluminium. The plastic boot lid, the magnesium cockpit support and the use of carbon fibre-reinforced plastic in the centre tunnel help to both reduce weight and distribute it to optimum effect. As a result, the four-door version's weight penalty over the BMW 8-Series Coupe has been limited to around 70 kilograms. Fitting the optional carbon-fibre roof lowers the car's centre of gravity even further and there is also the option of a Carbon package comprising air intake bars, exterior mirror caps and a rear diffuser insert all made from CFRP.

M Sport package, M Technic Sport Package and Chrome Line Exterior add extra dynamism and elegance

The model-specific M Sport package brings extra dynamic sparkle to the character of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. Extra-large air intakes in the front apron, a prominently contoured rear apron with a grey diffuser and specially designed side skirts are all included, along with various other eye-catching design touches. The kidney grille slats have Aluminium matt faces and the inside of the Air Breathers is finished in Pearl-effect Chrome. The M Technic Sport Package adds a number of visual highlights courtesy of extended BMW Individual High-gloss Shadow Line trim for the BMW kidney grille surround and slats, the Air Breathers, the exhaust tailpipes and the side window borders.

The standard Chrome Line for the exterior emphasises the elegant appearance of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe with its chrome finish for the side window graphic and exterior mirror bases, plus High-gloss Chrome for the BMW kidney grille surround and slats, and the exhaust tailpipes. There is also a High-gloss Chrome bar bridging the gap between the integral tailpipes on the left and right of the rear apron, another feature exclusive to the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. Chrome Line can also be specified as an option in conjunction with the M Sport package and for the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe.

Special design features have also been used to accentuate the highly individual look of the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe. The aerodynamically optimised bodywork elements included in the M Sport package are complemented by a front spoiler lip and combine with exclusive styling elements in Cerium Grey. The elements finished in this striking colour include the BMW kidney grille surround and slats, exterior mirror caps, Air Breather inlays and tailpipe trims, the M logo on the front flanks and the model badge on the rear.

Exclusive paint finishes and BMW Individual Compositions

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe will be launched with a choice of one non-metallic and six metallic exterior paint finishes. Carbon Black metallic and Barcelona Blue metallic will be offered as additional exterior colours for the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and in conjunction with the M Sport package. The wide choice of BMW Individual paint finishes and BMW Individual special paint finishes available for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe at launch or shortly afterwards all create a particularly exclusive look. Customers can also take their pick from the BMW Individual matt paintwork variants in a silk matt finish and the particularly eye-catching Frozen Bluestone metallic finish. Plus, the BMW Individual Composition and the BMW Individual Composition with M Sport features - each comprising a precisely coordinated selection of exclusive design details for the exterior and interior - give customers the option of bringing the four-door model's elegantly luxurious side or thrillingly sporty character even further to the fore.

Interior and equipment

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe's distinctive sense of style also shines through clearly in the design of its interior. The four-door sports car gives prime billing to the luxurious side of the new BMW 8-Series range, and blends the sporting flair that sets it apart from its peers with remarkable levels of spaciousness. Both the front and rear of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe treat their occupants to a driving experience underpinned by a neatly resolved blend of dynamism and luxury.

The high-quality interior design is awash with precision details and echoes the exterior's modern, pared-down styling. The cockpit, centre console and door trim are composed of lines pointing lengthways. This reflects the car's dynamic essence and automatically directs the eye to the road ahead, emphasising the focus on sporty driving. The resulting surface structure carries through to the rear compartment, enveloping all the occupants in a harmonious ambience.

The instrument panel and door shoulders in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe are wrapped in fulled leather as standard. The electroplated surfaces of the side air vent surrounds and the accent strips in the vicinity of the door openers also sport a uniform look, allowing the clasp-style door openers to blend very sleekly into the cabin's design. Both the standard leather sports steering wheel and the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe's M leather steering wheel that is optionally available for the other model variants feature multifunction buttons and shift paddles for manual gear selection.

Sports car feel that can be enjoyed from all seats

The centre console rising up towards the instrument panel at the front clearly separates the driver and front passenger areas. Joining the selector lever and the iDrive Controller within a function cluster with active haptic feedback are the Driving Experience Control switch, the button for the electromechanical parking brake and the engine start/stop button. At the console's foremost point, the audio control unit and its function buttons, the air conditioning control panel with its array of buttons, the displays and central air vents for the air conditioning, and finally the freestanding, frameless Control Display are stacked one above the other in a clearly structured arrangement. The centre console continues smoothly through to the rear compartment where it incorporates air vents, a stowage tray, two USB ports and, on models fitted with the optional four-zone automatic climate control, the additional control panel for adjusting the temperature. The surface structure of the folding centre armrest in the rear takes its cue from the centre console's design.

The extended centre console is exclusive to the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe model, as is the rear seat unit featuring outer seats styled as individual seats. The contours and seam patterns of the outer rear seats are modelled on the sports seats in the front. The rear seats likewise offer excellent lateral support and integral head restraints, allowing their occupants to also share in that sports car feel. The design of the centre console reinforces the sensation by forming a clear partition between the left- and right-hand areas of the rear compartment. There is, though, a third seat nestled between the two outer seats with a complete seatbelt system that is suitable for use on short journeys, making the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe a 4+1-seater.

The additional trim finisher at the rearmost end of the centre console gives the front and rear of the cabin an even more consistent feel, as it features the same design as the trim finisher below the audio control unit at the front. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is appointed with Aluminium Mesh Effect Dark trim finishers as standard, while the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe comes with a stainless steel mesh trim design, which is available as an optional extra for other models. The Fineline Copper Effect high-gloss and Ash Grain Metallic Grey high-gloss fine wood trims can also be found on the options list, alongside the Carbon Fibre variant. Besides this, the range of highly exclusive options composed by BMW Individual includes Piano Finish Black trim and Black Ash Silver Effect high-gloss fine wood trim.

Levels of space and comfort that set new standards for a BMW coupe

Thanks to the extra 201 millimetres of wheelbase over the BMW 8-Series Coupe and the generously sized door apertures, passengers in the rear enjoy unprecedented legroom for a BMW coupe and are able to get in and out more easily than ever as well. They also benefit from substantially greater shoulder room and headroom than in the two-door version of the new BMW 8-Series, making the second-row seats even more comfortable to travel in. The slender design of the front seats and the extraordinary expanse of the optional panoramic roof's glass surface further add to the generous feeling of space in the rear of the cabin.

The ambient lighting fitted as standard in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe accentuates the forward-pointing lines inside the car to dramatic effect. The indirect lighting of the contour lines running along the centre console and the door shoulders in the front and rear uses precisely positioned LED fibre-optic light guides to create a dynamic and exclusive mood. The colour of the light can be changed via the iDrive menu. In addition, the Dynamic interior light function emits pulsating light signals in specific situations. These signals appear on the inner panelling of an open door when the engine is running and on the instrument panel in response to an incoming phone call.

Leather trim as standard, 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear backrest

The front sports seats in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe feature head restraints integrated into the backrests, electric seat adjustment and even a standard memory function for both driver and front passenger. High-quality quilting and decorative stitching in a contrasting colour lend added impact to the sporting contours of both the front and rear seats. The standardspecification Vernasca leather trim is available in Black, Cognac and Ivory White. The list of optional extras includes BMW Individual Merino leather trim with extended appointments and BMW Individual Merino full leather trim. Both come in a choice of Black, Cognac and Ivory White as well as a variety of particularly striking two-tone colour schemes, including the new combinations Midnight Blue/Ivory White and Tartufo/Ivory White.

The multifunction seats fitted as standard in the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe stand out with their extra adjustment options, increased lateral support and even better comfort. They offer the driver and front passenger scope to adjust the backrest width and thigh support as desired and are fitted with lumbar support. The new M Sport seats are also available as an option in conjunction with the M Sport package or for the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe. Besides their highly distinctive bucket-seat styling and seat belts with accent stripes in BMW M GmbH colours, headline features include three-dimensional quilting, perforated centre sections and a special stitching pattern.

Newly designed climate seats for the driver and front passenger are available as an upgrade to the standard heated seats. The climate system here made its debut in the new BMW 8-Series range and guides the cooled air along the seat occupant's body, resulting in particularly effective temperature control for the seat cushion and backrest.

The car's luggage-carrying setup can be varied with the greatest of ease courtesy of the 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear backrest, whose individual sections can be folded down from the boot using a lever. Storage spaces and partition nets behind the wheel arches are ideal for transporting smaller items securely. A large loading aperture, low loading sill, flat boot floor and uniform lighting all serve to improve loading comfort. With a capacity of 440 litres, the boot is big enough to accommodate three golf bags, for instance. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also includes automatic boot lid operation as standard, along with Comfort Access for hands-free opening and closing.

BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and M Sport package with exclusive dynamism-enhancing touches

Both standard specification for the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and the M Sport package available for the other model variants contain exclusive design and equipment features that take the dynamic driving experience to even greater heights. In addition to multifunction seats and the M leather steering wheel, these include BMW Individual Merino leather trim with extended appointments in exclusive Black with piping in BMW M GmbH colours. All this, together with an anthracite BMW Individual headliner, M pedals, an M driver's footrest and special floor mats, injects the cabin with a distinctly sporty aura. The illuminated door sills and instrument cluster display the 'M850i' model badge or M logo as applicable. In cars with the M Technic Sport Package, the exclusive interior design is further enhanced by black seat belts with accent stripes in the classic M colours.

Extensive standard equipment and classy options up the luxury and comfort factor

Extremely lavish standard specification trains the spotlight on the exclusive nature of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. A wide array of optional extras can be selected to raise the interior's luxury feel and comfort levels another notch, some of which are exclusive to the four-door sports car. Two cupholders, a 12V socket, a USB port and the wireless charging tray for compatible smartphones can be found under the trim finisher at the front of the centre console. Additional power outlets and USB ports are located under the front armrest's butterfly lid and in the rear. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also comes as standard with electrically adjustable, heated and folding exterior mirrors and the BMW Display Key, which shows the driver the remaining fuel level and service-related information on its colour display, as well as indicating whether the car's doors and windows are locked / closed properly.

Further highlights of the standard equipment list include the BMW Live Cockpit Professional, comprising not only the fully digital screen grouping of the instrument cluster and Control Display but also a navigation system and a hard-drive-based multimedia system with 20 GB of memory. The audio system features a digital amplifier with output of 205 watts and a hi-fi speaker system with nine sound sources arranged throughout the interior. There is also the option of either the Harman Kardon Surround Sound System with output of 464 watts and 16 speakers or the Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System. The unrivalled Diamond loudspeaker technology, fully active 16-channel amplifier with 1,400 watts of music power, dynamic equalising and 16 partly illuminated speakers with stainless steel covers combine to deliver a beautifully precise and multifaceted acoustic experience whose pristine quality can be enjoyed from all seats in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe in equal measure.

A four-zone automatic climate control system and electric sun blinds for the rear side windows and rear window are both available exclusively for the fourdoor variant in the new BMW 8-Series line-up. Also to be found on the list of optional extras are soft-close doors, sun protection glass, an auxiliary heating system and a Heat Comfort package featuring heated armrests and a heated steering wheel. The optional glass applications for selected controls are a joy to look at and to touch, and take the luxury experience on offer inside the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe to another level. If this option is specified, finely polished, modern-looking glass elements adorn the selector lever, the iDrive Controller, the start/stop button and the volume control for the audio system. An illuminated '8' can be seen through the selector lever's glass surface.

Engines, transmission and BMW xDrive

The trio of engines available at the launch of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe are a clear reflection of the four-door sports car's rich breadth of character. Spearheading the line-up is the latest-generation 390 kW/530 hp V8 unit under the bonnet of the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe, which serves up a particularly intense distillation of the enthralling track-inspired concept underpinning it. Power is unleashed with majestic vigour against a suitably emotion-stirring soundtrack. And yet the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also offers something quite different and unique in its segment: a diesel-powered version. The new BMW 840d xDrive Gran Coupe's 235 kW/320 hp sixcylinder diesel engine underlines its credentials as a purveyor of supreme motoring pleasure over long journeys with its effortless power delivery, silky smoothness and remarkable efficiency. The choice of power units is rounded off by a new petrol straight-six with output of 250 kW/340 hp. The latest incarnation of this time-honoured BMW engine type generates the driving pleasure for which the brand is renowned with its infectiously eager response and inimitable appetite for revs.

All the engines available for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe team up with an eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission, which allows the driver to change gears manually using shift paddles on the steering wheel as standard. The latest generation of BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive ensures that drive power is channelled onto the road with supreme dynamism and assurance. The system's rear-wheel-biased setup provides exceptional agility and precision in dynamic handling situations. All-wheel drive comes as standard on the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and new BMW 840d Gran Coupe. The new straight-six petrol variant, meanwhile, can be specified in either all-wheel-drive BMW 840i xDrive Gran Coupe or classical rear-wheel-drive BMW 840i Gran Coupe form. The BMW 840i Gran Coupe's standard M Sport differential with active locking function at the rear axle adds to the sense of BMW driving pleasure in its most authentic form. The M Sport differential is also part of standard specification on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe.

V8 engine: sensational power and acoustics

The 4.4-litre eight-cylinder engine in the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe boasts a raft of technological innovations that raise the bar for responsiveness, pulling power and efficiency. The engine's BMW TwinPower Turbo technology includes two twin-scroll turbochargers with charge air cooling nestling in the V between the cylinder banks, plus High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. Iron-coated cylinder bores and reinforced pistons, independently controlled cooling circuits, intake air ducting with minimised throttling losses and a turbocharging system with electrically operated diverter valves and wastegate actuators are testimony to the motor racing know-how applied in the development of the new V8 unit. A connection between the air ducts for both cylinder banks ensures remarkably even pulsation during gas exchange, resulting in noticeably higher torque at low engine speeds. The direct injection system now works at an increased maximum pressure of 350 bar, resulting in more precise fuel metering and cleaner engine emissions.

The far-reaching updates to engine technology help to produce instantaneous power delivery and sustained thrust - accompanied by a captivating soundtrack imbued with even greater impact by the standard flap-controlled M Sport exhaust system. The new V8 serves up peak torque of 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) between 1,800 and 4,600 rpm, and generates maximum output of 390 kW/530 hp between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm. The new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe races from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.9 seconds. Combined fuel consumption comes in at 10.0 - 9.9 litres per 100 kilometres (28.2 - 28.5 mpg imp), with combined CO2 emissions of 229 - 226 grams per kilometre. Catalytic converters mounted close to the engine and a gasoline particulate filter reduce emissions from the new V8 engine, which meets all the relevant exhaust emission standards worldwide, including the Euro 6d-TEMP norm.

Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine: big on torque and efficiency

The unprecedented presence of a diesel engine in this segment makes it possible to combine the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe's inherent sporting qualities with outstanding long-distance capability. The 3.0-litre straight-six diesel unit with TwinPower Turbo technology gracing the new BMW 840d xDrive Gran Coupe comes with all the right tools for the job. -Multi-stage turbocharging technology produces a sustained build-up of torque from low revs, while common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors generating maximum pressure of 2,500 bar ensures high-precision metering of fuel and clean combustion. The engine's peak torque of 680 Nm (501 lb-ft) is on stream from just 1,750 rpm up to 2,250 rpm, with output reaching its maximum 235 kW/320 hp at 4,400 rpm.

The signature performance characteristics of straight-six diesel units from BMW create an engine equally as adept when cruising effortlessly at low revs and putting in a breathtaking burst of speed. Plus, refuelling stops will be few and far between. Pressing the accelerator hard enables 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) to pass in 5.1 seconds - to the accompaniment of the bespoke sports exhaust system's full-blooded tones. The engine also represents a compelling proposition over long distances, displaying excellent refinement and exemplary efficiency, the latter reflected in average fuel consumption of 6.3 - 6.2 litres per 100 kilometres (44.8 - 45.6 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of 166 - 162 grams per kilometre. Thanks to exhaust gas treatment using BMW BluePerformance technology (including an SCR catalyst with AdBlue injection), the new BMW 840d xDrive Gran Coupe fulfils the stipulations of the Euro 6d-TEMP standard.

New six-cylinder in-line petrol engine majors on refinement and free-revving performance

A newly developed six-cylinder in-line petrol engine provides yet another take on driving pleasure, BMW style, in the four-door luxury sports car. The most recent incarnation of the fabled BMW straight-six blends its natural instantaneous response, appetite for revs and smoothness with optimised efficiency and emissions. The 3.0-litre unit with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology weighs in at around six kilograms less than the engine it replaces and makes its mark with noticeably enhanced elasticity throughout the rev range. These are both key factors in the agile, fleet-footed handling of the BMW 840i Gran Coupe and BMW 840i xDrive Gran Coupe. The new engine places its maximum output of 250 kW/340 hp at the driver's disposal between 5,000 and 6,500 rpm, while peak torque has been upped to 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) - available from 1,600 up to 4,500 rpm.

The new power unit's standout features include the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head, a twin-scroll turbocharger with sharper response and superior acceleration characteristics, and direct injection technology working at an increased maximum pressure of 350 bar. A housing with improved flow characteristics and turbines with reduced masses both help the turbocharging system to ensure rapid build-up of pressure, and the charge air cooler has been incorporated into the intake system. The latest version of the VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing system makes the sort of swift, high-precision adjustments that facilitate instantaneous power delivery and improve engine efficiency. The exhaust manifold embedded in the cylinder head cooling jacket, the new oil module with integral heat exchanger and the split-cooling valve delivering on-demand control of the cooling system all serve to optimise the engine's temperature management. Efficiency is given a further boost by the low-friction belt drive and the reduced weight of both the crankshaft and oil pump.

The new power unit responds instantaneously to every movement of the accelerator and power delivery continues unabated up to very high revs. This enables the new BMW 840i Gran Coupe to dart from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.2 seconds. The new BMW 840i xDrive Gran Coupe is even quicker thanks to its all-wheel-drive technology, taking just 4.9 seconds for the same sprint. The new straight-six unit's superior efficiency translates into combined fuel consumption figures of 7.5 - 7.4 litres per 100 kilometres (37.7 - 38.2 mpg imp) for the BMW 840i Gran Coupe and 7.8 - 7.7 litres per 100 kilometres (36.2 - 36.7 mpg imp) for the BMW 840i xDrive Gran Coupe, together with CO2 emissions of 170 - 168 grams per kilometre and 179 - 176 grams per kilometre respectively. Its emission control system includes a gasoline particulate filter, allowing the two six-cylinder petrol models to satisfy the Euro 6d-TEMP standard.

Eight-speed Steptronic transmission with gearshift paddles on the steering wheel

The engines available for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe combine as standard with the latest version of the eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission, whose wider gear spacing cuts fuel consumption by keeping engine speeds lower, particularly in higher gears. Added to which, the latestgeneration eight-speed Steptronic Sport has reduced torque converter slip and upgraded torsion dampers that reduce rotational irregularities within the powertrain and therefore help to optimise both driving comfort and shift smoothness. The shift dynamics, meanwhile, are even sharper thanks to the transmission's optimised hydraulic control.

Manual gear changes can be carried out using the standard shift paddles on the steering wheel, while the Launch Control function allows the car to power off the line with unbeatable traction and thrilling dynamism.

Intelligent connectivity enhances dynamics and efficiency

The eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission's control unit can adapt its shift strategy to the situation at hand using intelligent connectivity. Data from the standard Navigation system Professional is used to shift down early when approaching a junction and so use the engine braking to slow the car or to avoid unnecessary gear shifts between two bends arriving in quick succession.

Intelligent connectivity also enhances the efficiency of the drive system. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe features situation-based control of the Auto Start Stop function using data collected from the navigation system and the cameras and radar sensors of the standard/optional driver assistance systems. In this way, inefficient engine shutdown - for example when stopping briefly at junctions or roundabouts - can be prevented. The coasting function activated at speeds between 15 and 160 km/h (9 - 99 mph) is also controlled intelligently to make sure the powertrain is only decoupled in driving situations where neither comfort nor performance will be affected. The coasting function is available when ECO PRO mode - and also COMFORT mode in the sixcylinder models - is engaged using the Driving Experience Control switch.

M Sport differential enables supreme traction and agility

The M Sport differential - which comes as standard on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and BMW 840i Gran Coupe and can be specified for the other model variants as part of the M Technic Sport Package - gives the car's handling an even more dynamic edge. The electronically controlled rear differential lock limits equalisation of the rotational speeds at the inside and outside rear wheel when cornering, allowing the driver to power out of bends with remarkably dynamic verve. The locking effect produced by an electric motor and controlled by the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system also optimises traction and power transfer on roads where grip levels vary between the right and left rear wheels by preventing a wheel with insufficient grip from spinning and deliberately channelling drive power to the other wheel instead.

As well as more nimble handling, the M Sport differential endows the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe with even greater poise. The variable distribution of drive torque between the left and right rear wheels also nips understeer or oversteer in the bud - without braking inputs - when negotiating a quick succession of bends or in situations involving multiple changes of direction and load.

Precise power transfer for unbeatable dynamism: BMW xDrive

The presence of the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system also has an extremely beneficial effect on the sporty handling qualities of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. With its rapid, precise and fully variable distribution of drive torque between the front and rear wheels, it maximises traction and handling stability not only when driving in adverse road conditions, but in highly dynamic driving situations too.

Power is split as required at all times using an electronically controlled multiplate clutch networked with the powertrain and chassis systems on the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. At the same time, the system's rear-biased setup guarantees the driving experience for which BMW sports cars are renowned. When taking corners at speed, for example, just the right amount of extra drive is transferred to the rear wheels to help the car turn into the bend with supreme accuracy. The all-wheel-drive system's dynamic-handling setup is particularly noticeable when the driver selects SPORT or SPORT+ modes using the Driving Experience Control switch.

Chassis technology and driving experience

The vehicle concept and driving characteristics of the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe betray its family ties with the BMW 8-Series Coupe, itself developed alongside the BMW M8 GTE endurance racer. The four-door luxury sports car offers a repertoire of skills that none of its rivals can match, ranging from outstanding performance characteristics to superb comfort levels for all occupants, even on longer journeys.

With its minimised weight, optimised aerodynamic properties, low centre of gravity, balanced weight distribution, rigid body structure and wide tracks (including an extra 28 millimetres of width at the rear compared with the two-door versions of the BMW 8-Series), the four-door coupe's basic blueprint provides the ideal platform for a setup geared squarely to agility and dynamism. The wheelbase is 201 millimetres longer than on the BMW 8-Series Coupe. This enhances ride comfort significantly by enabling the chassis tuning to be modified without compromising its sporting instincts. With a lightweight six-cylinder in-line petrol engine at its front end and classical rear-wheel drive, the new BMW 840i Gran Coupe captures the essence of driving pleasure with particular authenticity.

Chassis technology sharpened with racing know-how

The chassis technology developed for the new BMW 8-Series comprises a double-wishbone front axle built almost entirely from aluminium and a fivelink rear axle featuring sheet steel control arms and aluminium wheel carriers, along with electromechanical steering and exceptionally powerful brakes. The wheel suspension kinematics and elastokinematics have been carefully adapted to the demands of a highly dynamic driving style, delivering maximum agility, precision and performance.

The motor racing experience amassed by BMW M GmbH and its extensive know-how had a formative influence on the chassis technology's design and tuning, and is clearly demonstrated by an array of detailed modifications and bespoke elements. Torsion struts on the front axle and a shear panel incorporated on the rear axle optimise stiffness and the connection of suspension components to the body. Independent rubber bearings - which increase camber stiffness - and additional damping plates at the rear axle further enhance the suspension's dynamic baseline setup. Special wheel carriers and transverse control arms allow camber values on both axles to be raised to the maximum. This significantly increases the car's ability to put down its power through high-speed corners.

Adaptive M suspension with bespoke tuning

All the standard and optional suspension systems - along with the basic chassis components - have been tuned precisely to the fundamental characteristics of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe defined by its dimensions and weight distribution. This has enabled the extraordinary inherent performance qualities of the BMW 8-Series Coupe to be passed on to its four-door sibling. Standard specification includes Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers, whose compression and rebound stages are adjusted continuously and independently of one another. This enables finely metered spring and damping responses, providing the driver with only relevant information about the road surface. The extremely stiff suspension springs reduce roll tendency and allow the dampers to stabilise the wheels as much as possible, avoiding traction losses caused by uneven surfaces. The dampers respond adaptively to both road surface conditions and driving style.

Damping characteristics can be adjusted via the Driving Experience Control switch. SPORT and SPORT+ modes pull out all the stops for dynamic handling and therefore serve up a markedly different driving experience to the comfort-oriented damper settings in ECO PRO and COMFORT modes.

Integral Active Steering brings added agility and poise

The Integral Active Steering fitted as standard in the all-wheel-drive model variants and as an option for the new BMW 840i Gran Coupe makes even lighter work of manoeuvring, increases agility at moderate speeds and allows drivers to negotiate lane changes and high-speed corners with still greater poise and assurance. The system combines Servotronic speed-sensitive power assistance and a variable steering ratio at the front wheels with a steering rear axle.

The rear wheels are steered differently depending on the vehicle's speed, turning in the opposite direction to the front wheels at speeds up to 72 km/h (45 mph) and in the same direction at higher speeds. This allows the car to follow the course set by the driver even more directly and accurately; Integral Active Steering is therefore a particularly effective champion of active, sporty driving styles.

Active roll stabilisation geared towards sporty driving

The active roll stabilisation feature included in the optional Adaptive M suspension Professional endows the car with even sportier handling characteristics. Electric swivel motors on the front and rear axles ensure particularly fast and precise body roll compensation when the driver explores the car's dynamic potential. Active roll stabilisation has an unmistakably sporty setup and adapts to changing requirements. It optimises agility and directional stability on turn-in and helps line the car up as neatly as possible for dynamic acceleration out of corners. The reduced body movement also means fast evasive manoeuvres can be executed with great assurance.

The system also increases straightline comfort by decoupling the permanent connection between the wheels of an axle. By stabilising the wheel in need, the system is extremely effective in counteracting disruptive forces resulting from road surface imperfections on one side of the car. The responses of active roll stabilisation - like those of the electronically controlled dampers - are also modulated according to the weight the vehicle is carrying. This means the number of occupants and loads in the boot are factored in as well, ensuring an unimpeachable driving experience for driver and passengers alike. The chassis systems in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe are orchestrated extremely harmoniously. Given how imperceptibly they go about their business, their overall impact on the driving experience is all the more striking.

Model-specific M Sport braking systems, light-alloy wheels with mixed-size high-performance tyres

The braking systems available for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe stand out with their immense stopping power, high thermal stability, fast responses and excellent feel. All versions combine four-piston, fixed-calliper brakes at the front and single-piston, floating-calliper brakes at the rear. The electromechanical parking brake is integrated into the rear callipers.

The M Sport package customers can specify as an option includes M Sport brakes with discs measuring 374 millimetres in diameter, while the M Technic Sport Package adds the 395 mm brake discs fitted as standard on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe. Both versions of the M Sport braking system are recognisable by their blue callipers bearing the M logo.

Setting the seal on the performance-focused chassis technology in the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe are 20-inch M light-alloy wheels in a Frozen Cerium Grey metallic finish, which are shod with high-performance tyres (front: 245/35 R20, rear: 275/30 R20) purpose-developed for the BMW 8-Series. The other models in the 8-Series Gran Coupe range also leave the factory on mixed-size tyres, with standard equipment including 18-inch light-alloy wheels fitted with 245/45 R18 tyres at the front and 275/40 R18 tyres at the rear. Models with the M Sport package ride on 19-inch M light-alloy wheels with 245/40 R19 tyres at the front and 275/35 R19 tyres at the rear, and the M Technic Sport Package upgrades to 20-inch light-alloy wheels and high-performance tyres.

Driver assistance systems

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe serves up an ultra-progressive blend of performance, long-distance comfort and luxury. This is partly down to the sophisticated driver assistance systems, which help to increase driving comfort and safety in a range of situations. They ease the driver's workload in monotonous driving conditions, such as congestion and slow traffic, and provide effective assistance in complex driving situations both in and out of town.

Depending on the system in question, camera images and the data gathered by radar and ultrasonic sensors are used to monitor the vehicle's surrounding area and either alert the driver to hazards or minimise the risk of an accident with corrective braking and steering. The vast array of assistance systems available as standard or optionally means drivers of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe can experience the latest advances on the road to automated driving.

Standard: Head-Up Display including Optimum Shift Indicator

The BMW Head-Up Display fitted as standard in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe lends itself to fully engaged, intently focused driving. It projects driving-related information onto the windscreen in the form of full-colour graphics. When driving with the Driving Experience Control switch in SPORT or SPORT+ mode, the Head-Up Display also indicates engine speed. Plus, there is a digital Optimum Shift Indicator to assist the sports-minded driver in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe.

Also on the standard equipment list is Cruise Control with braking function, which can be used once the car's speed reaches 30 km/h (19 mph). The optionally available Active Cruise Control system with Stop & Go function is operational at speeds up to 210 km/h (130 mph) and maintains the desired speed while taking not only the traffic situation into account, but also a minimum distance from vehicles ahead (as selected by the driver). Camera images and data from the front radar sensors are used for distance control. The speed restrictions shown by the Speed Limit Info road sign detection system including No Passing Info display can be imported into the system automatically or manually, with a preset adjustment of up to 15 km/h (9 mph). This allows the set speed to be adapted as appropriate. The system deftly adapts the car's speed to the changing traffic situation, and is capable of braking to a standstill then pulling away again automatically. The maximum time that can pass before the car starts off again automatically is 30 seconds.

Distance information also appears in the Head-Up Display. This function helps the driver to keep at a predetermined distance from the vehicle ahead when the cruise control and distance control systems are not activated.

Driving Assistant helps to avoid collisions, change lane and stay in lane

Another highlight feature included as standard on the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is the Driving Assistant. Based on camera and radar technology, it includes the Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function, the latest version of which also alerts the driver when a cyclist is detected. Depending on the situation, the system can bring the vehicle to a halt to either avoid a collision or minimise its consequences.

The Driving Assistant additionally comprises Lane Departure Warning and Lane Change Warning, which are operational from 70 to 210 km/h (44 - 130 mph) and from 20 km/h (12 mph) to top speed respectively and help the driver guide the vehicle back onto the correct line with an active steering input. The Speed Limit Info, rear crossing traffic warning and rear collision warning systems are also all fitted as part of the Driving Assistant.

Driving Assistant Professional: the complete package for comfortable and safe driving

The optional Driving Assistant Professional offers extensive assistance to make driving as safe and as comfortable as possible. In addition to Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, this complete package also includes the steering and lane control assistant. For convenient activation of the two systems, the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is fitted with a special button on the steering wheel for switching on the Cruise Control and steering and lane control assistant simultaneously. A mode button allows the driver to switch to Cruise Control on its own.

The lane keeping assistant with active side collision protection also forms part of the Driving Assistant Professional. The Driving Assistant Professional additionally includes the Evasion Assistant, extended crossing traffic warning - which reduces the risk of a collision when manoeuvring forwards too - as well as the road priority warning and wrong-way driving warning systems.

Another item on the options list is the BMW Night Vision system comprising pedestrian and animal detection as well as a marker light. It relays a real-time video image to the Control Display showing pedestrians, larger animals and other heat-emitting objects. Any objects detected are additionally illuminated using the headlights' marker light function.

Also included as standard: Parking Assistant and reversing assistant

Drivers of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also receive assistance in a variety of ways when parking and manoeuvring, as the list of standard equipment includes not only Park Distance Control (PDC) with sensors at both the front and rear, but also the Parking Assistant for automatically selecting and manoeuvring into spaces parallel to the road. During the parking manoeuvre, the system takes care of acceleration, braking and steering as well as changing gear. The system can also be used to automatically manoeuvre out of parallel parking spaces.

The Parking Assistant's range of functions also includes the reversing assistant, which helps the driver when exiting parking spaces and manoeuvring within a confined space. The system traces the vehicle's last forward movements in reverse, enabling it to assume the task of steering as it backs up. All the driver has to do is operate the accelerator and brake pedals and monitor the vehicle's surroundings. A distance of up to 50 metres can be covered in this way at speeds of up to 9 km/h (5.5 mph). The system is deactivated if either of these values is exceeded.

The rear-view camera (also standard) is designed to afford drivers a clear all-round view, as are many of the functions included with the optional extra Parking Assistant Plus. The Top View, Panorama View and 3D View functions create a 360-degree image of the vehicle and its surroundings, and this is shown on the Control Display from different perspectives. Meanwhile, the Remote 3D View function allows drivers to call up a three-dimensional live image of their vehicle and its immediate vicinity on their smartphone.

Display and operating system, BMW Connected and ConnectedDrive

Standard specification for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe includes the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, an intelligent digital helper who responds to the prompt "Hey BMW" and is an intrinsic element of the operating system. The BMW Group is set to revolutionise driving pleasure with the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant and, in so doing, enters a new era in which drivers will increasingly be able to operate their car and access its functions and information simply by speaking. The range of functions and skills available will be constantly expanded as part of updates, which can be carried out seamlessly on a smartphone and in-car by Remote Software Upgrade.

BMWs acquire a digital personality

The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant helps the driver, learns their habits and is familiar with their favoured settings - e.g. for the seat heating or the places they drive to frequently using the navigation system ("Take me home"). One unique feature compared with other digital assistants of this type is the option of giving him a personally selected name (such as "Charlie") to lend him even greater individuality and personality. The Intelligent Personal Assistant awaits the driver's every command, is always there to assist them and even provides casual conversation. He is familiar with the vehicle's functions and is able to operate them as required. Saying "Hey BMW, I'm cold" will prompt the personal assistant to adjust the temperature inside the car accordingly. The assistant will benefit from constant technical upgrades and be able to recognise more and more routines and apply them in the appropriate context. The assistant takes further strides forward with every command given, every question asked and every setting selected.

A constant on-board companion: the digital BMW expert

The arrival of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant ensures there is always a genuine BMW professional on board. He is able to explain all sorts of different functions ("How does the High Beam Assistant work?"), provide current status information ("Is the oil level okay?") and help answer questions ("What warning messages do I have?"). He knows the driver's favourite settings, and can even activate a combination of them to enhance wellbeing. For instance, "Hey BMW, I feel tired" triggers a vitality programme that adjusts the lighting mood, music and temperature, among other things, in order to make the driver feel more awake.

The perfect co-driver

The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant is, in short, the ideal co-driver and comes in particularly useful during everyday driving ("Hey BMW, how far can I drive before I need to refuel?"). He makes light work of navigation, finds parking spaces at the destination, provides information on traffic jams along the route and searches for cafés in the area. He also learns destinations the customer drives to frequently. The assistant's integration into Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business transforms the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe into a voice-controlled mobile office and enables him to join teleconferences at the driver's request. But BMW's Intelligent Personal Assistant is an entertainment expert, too. For example, he can seek out suitable radio stations for the desired music genre ("Play classical music please").

In-car experiences: individual wellness and relaxation while on the move

The Intelligent Personal Assistant even attends to the driver's sense of wellbeing with his Caring Car function. This includes vitality and relaxation programmes, which activate a carefully orchestrated combination of various functions - such as the air conditioning, seat heating / ventilation and music - to refresh or relax the driver while they are at the wheel. The selected programme runs for a duration of three minutes. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe additionally offers three different Experience Modes for the interior: Executive, Expressive and Wellbeing. They are geared perfectly to suit the driver's current mood and can be activated for as long as desired. Each of the modes caters to the driver's needs by adjusting the lighting, air conditioning, degree of shade, seat heating / ventilation and music accordingly (depending on the equipment features fitted). Quite apart from reducing stress and fatigue, this active enhancement of the driver's sense of comfort also has the effect of increasing road safety. The desired programme can be started by using commands such as "Hey BMW, I'm tired" or "Hey BMW, activate Executive mode".

Turning passengers into co-drivers

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also allows passengers in the front and rear to mould the driving experience in ways they have never done before. Once the driver has given their consent, passengers are able to connect their smartphone to the car using the Connected Command function and then use it to control selected functions. This converts the passengers into co-drivers able to ease the driver's workload - by using BMW Connected to call up the route currently being followed, for example, or adjust the on-board entertainment programme and climate control settings.

The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant forms part of standard specification in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe, together with the Live Cockpit Professional and the new BMW Operating System 7.0, and is included free of charge for the first three years. The Connected Package Professional adds a spread of additional functions.

BMW Digital Key: turning the smartphone into a car key

The BMW Digital Key employs Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to allow the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe to be locked and unlocked from a smartphone, dispensing with the need for a conventional car key. Holding the smartphone up to the door handle opens the car. Once inside, the engine can be started as soon as the phone has been placed in the wireless charging smartphone tray. Accessible via BMW Connected, the BMW Digital Key offers unrivalled flexibility, as the driver can share it with up to five other people. It is available for all NFC-capable Samsung Galaxy smartphones running Android 8.0 and above. Alternatively, customers can use the BMW Key Card. This sophisticated option also features NFC technology and so offers the same functionality as a suitably equipped smartphone.

Connected Navigation with new digital services

"Connected Navigation" encompasses a number of digital services that are designed to turn seamless and contextual route planning both inside and outside the BMW into an even more sophisticated experience. In future, drivers of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe will be able to send destinations from various apps straight to their car's navigation system. The most important destinations will be stored in BMW Connected and synchronised with the car, so that the key addresses can be accessed from any device at any time. One particularly helpful new feature is the Parking Space Assistant, which proposes various parking options to the driver in good time before the destination is reached. This service includes providing information on the nearest multi-storey car park as well as proposing routes offering a particularly good chance of finding a parking spot close to the destination. The existing On-Street Parking Information and ParkNow services have been intelligently incorporated into the new Parking Space Assistant's scope of functions.

Exactly the right information at just the right time: the BMW Operating System 7.0 display and control concept

The newly designed instrument cluster/Control Display screen grouping and extended functionality take intuitive operation to the next level in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe, while helping drivers to concentrate even more effectively on the road ahead. The standard-fitted BMW Live Cockpit Professional comprises a fully digital, high-resolution instrument cluster behind the steering wheel with a screen diagonal of 12.3 inches and a Control Display measuring 10.25 inches across. This equipment package also features an adaptive navigation system and a hard-drive-based multimedia system with 20 GB of memory.

The BMW Live Cockpit Professional also brings the benefits of the BMW Operating System 7.0 to the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. The latest-generation BMW operating system boasts fully digital displays and is geared even more closely to the driver's personal needs - with the aim of maximising their attention levels. The system's clear presentation and structuring are designed to provide drivers with the right information at the right time, aided further by the customisable and personalised content. The redesigned display in the centre of the instrument cluster now leaves enough room for an excerpt from the navigation map, for instance. In the main menu on the Control Display, the driver is able to create and configure up to ten pages, each showing two to four pads (tiles) with live content. Both the content and the graphics are personalised to an even greater degree, as illustrated by the vehicle mock-up that matches the actual model colour and equipment line. The intuitive multimodal interaction between driver and vehicle has undergone further improvement. Depending on the situation, the driver can choose from the familiar iDrive Controller, the steering wheel controls, touch control, voice control or gesture control.

The Live Cockpit Professional is the key to being able to book digital services with total flexibility, as it means new or existing services can be added at any time. In future, BMW customers will be able to download additional digital services at a later date from the ConnectedDrive Store and install them in their car via Remote Software Upgrade. Services can be booked in this way for periods of three months, one year or three years.

Always up to date: Remote Software Upgrade

The Remote Software Upgrade feature keeps the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe up to date with the latest software. All updates can be imported over the air, either on a smartphone via BMW Connected or directly into the car using its built-in SIM card. Installation is every bit as simple as a smartphone update. The content of the upgrades can vary, from new software services to improved vehicle functions.

• Praise 4

2+2 le

Got lumpar no lumpar also canât sit le

Some tua lum par will stretch their legs to the other side..

So will still have the chow lum par aroma.. yucks.

• Praise 4

Twincharged

Have been inside

Not particularly impressed especially with the price tag

The back space is worse than the 640i

However, the electronics are superb, the crystal like knob looks very cool

Quite bulky car to move around on our roads though

The choice of colours also very important 

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_43_03fb04a10

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_48_04a8040b0

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_73_00d400670

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_99_07a903a10

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_96_021c01380

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_2_00a200000e

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_72_015300750

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_6_006f01430a

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_1.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_61.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_21.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_668.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_12.jpg

bmw_m850i_xdrive_gran_coupe_634.jpg

Another captivating sports car is joining the ranks of the new BMW 8-Series range. Following the launch of the new BMW 8-Series Coupe and new BMW 8-Series Convertible, the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is now poised to make its debut, combining dynamic prowess and a luxurious aura with a four-door body design and far more spacious rear passenger compartment. The third model variant in the line-up is a sports car brimming with individual character. Its everyday usability and impressive long-distance credentials open up new ways of enjoying the thrilling performance and emotion-packed design inherent in every BMW 8-Series. Exclusive equipment features and the very latest innovations in control/operation, driver assistance and connectivity advance the cause of modern luxury.

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is the only model in its segment derived directly from a two-door sports car. Exhilarating performance runs through its veins, a consequence of its development alongside the new BMW 8-Series Coupe and M8 GTE racing car - which competes in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (IWSC) in North America. This third model in the BMW 8-Series range adds more fuel to the ongoing product offensive in the luxury segment identified by the BMW Group - as part of its NUMBER ONE > NEXT strategy - as a key element in ensuring the company's sustained growth. The newcomer will be built alongside the BMW 8-Series Coupe and BMW 8-Series Convertible at BMW Plant Dingolfing in Lower Bavaria, which has acquired immense expertise in the manufacture of luxury cars in its long-standing role as the home of BMW 7-Series production. The worldwide launch of the new car will commence just a few months later, in September 2019.

Exterior design: sporting exclusivity, individual appeal

The combination of precisely drawn lines and expansive surfaces that runs like a thread through the BMW brand's new design language helps the exterior of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe to strike a unique balance between dynamism and elegance. The styling is symbolic of the car's billing as the BMW 8-Series model delivering sportiness at its most luxurious. The four-door coupe concept has been translated into a body of standout pomp and progressiveness.

Vehicle concept and design. A sports car of distinctive character

As well as its distinctive proportions, the design of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe's flanks and rear end also clearly distinguishes it from its 8-Series stablemates. The four-door model has a 3,023-millimetre wheelbase - an increase of 201 millimetres over the BMW 8-Series Coupe - and measures 5,082 millimetres in length (+ 231 mm), 1,932 millimetres in width (+ 30 mm) and 1,407 millimetres in height (+ 61 mm). The front track width of 1,627 mm is the same as the two-door car's, while the rear track of 1,671 millimetres is 28 millimetres wider, making it the widest of any model in the BMW line-up.

The Gran Coupe's front section is identical to the 8-Series Coupe's design up to the point where the A-pillars start. Because the windscreen frame is slightly more upright, the roofline already rises to a greater height by the time it reaches the front seats, meaning additional headroom in both the front and rear. The roofline merges smoothly into the tail in a graceful sweep, via a fin-shaped transition in the vicinity of the C-pillars that emphasises the elongated silhouette. The rear window, meanwhile, also follows a slightly steeper line in order to produce a larger boot aperture. The striking surface contouring around the C-pillars has been facilitated by a rear window that forms a fixed part of the body structure and a conventional boot lid. These two design features also have a positive impact on the body's torsional rigidity and acoustic comfort in the car's interior. Integrating the antenna technology into the rear window and boot lid has dispensed with the need for a roof fin.

Powerful front end, optional BMW Laserlight

Like the new BMW 8-Series Coupe and 8-Series Convertible, the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also has a front end with a broad, low-slung design that exudes sporting pedigree and confidence. The bonnet's powerfully sculpted surfaces and crisp contours add to this impression, as does the elaborate, jutting design of the front apron with its large air intakes, which assume an even more imposing appearance on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and when the M Sport package is specified. The two elements of the large, low-set BMW kidney grille are framed by a single-piece surround.

The slim twin headlights are positioned slightly higher and define the brand's signature look with LED units generating both the daytime driving lights and low/high-beam headlights from the two pairs of light tubes. Adaptive LED headlights featuring variable light distribution and cornering lights come as standard on the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. There is also the option of BMW Laserlight with variable road illumination and Selective Beam, which produces a high-beam range of around 600 metres. Blue accents inside the customary twin headlights reveal the presence of this highly sophisticated lighting technology.

Unique silhouette with gracefully flowing surfaces

The extra doors, dynamically stretched roofline and distinctively styled surfaces of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe help to give it an unmistakable silhouette. The side view - like that of the new BMW 8-Series Coupe - is composed of just a few crisp character lines that trace the flow of air exiting the Air Breathers. The car's flanks taper inwards around the doors before flaring out again like muscles above the rear wheel arches, producing an interplay of surfaces moulded here to particularly striking effect. The elegantly stretched design is further emphasised by a third line that takes in the door handles on its way to the powerfully contoured shoulders and C-pillar.

The side window graphic reaches its conclusion at the rear in another hallmark BMW design cue - the Hofmeister kink. On the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe, this counter-swing is very upright in form, emphasising the large surface of the C-pillar and therefore reinforcing the sense of presence and solidity in this area of the body.

Distinctive rear styling, optional panoramic roof with continuous glass surface

The rear end is a case study in power and presence, the powerfully flared wheel arches and wide track playing a defining role. The tail's horizontal lines and the sculptural contours of its surfaces give it a broad but also light appearance. The slim all-LED rear light clusters extending deep into the flanks add to this impression. Twin exhaust tailpipes with a trapezoidal contour are positioned either side of the rear apron's lower section. The tailpipes are integrated into the diffuser element on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and on models specified with the M Sport package.

The optional panoramic glass roof is one of the special features specific to the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. It takes the form of a continuous glass surface extending from the windscreen back to the rear window and is extremely generous in width. The result is a total glass surface area of around 1.5 square metres, giving the interior an exceptionally light and airy feel. The front section of the roof has an electric mechanism that allows it to be opened and closed at the touch of a button or with the radio remote control, delivering a controlled supply of fresh air. When opening, it first tilts up at the rear before sliding back over the fixed rear section. The two-ply interior blinds are finished in the same colour and material as the headliner and can also be operated electrically, while the rear blind can be opened and closed from the rear compartment as well.

Optimised aerodynamics and weight

The aerodynamic properties of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe have been honed by features including an almost completely sealed underbody, active air flap control with adjustable kidney grille slats, Air Curtains in the front apron and the super-slender exterior mirror bases. An additional front spoiler lip on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe minimises front-axle lift at high speeds.

An intelligent material mix and targeted lightweight design measures have minimised the weight of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. An aluminium monocoque construction is used for its doors and the outer skin of the roof, while elements such as the bonnet, front shear panel, engine subframe, front bulkhead and rear bumper support are also made from aluminium. The plastic boot lid, the magnesium cockpit support and the use of carbon fibre-reinforced plastic in the centre tunnel help to both reduce weight and distribute it to optimum effect. As a result, the four-door version's weight penalty over the BMW 8-Series Coupe has been limited to around 70 kilograms. Fitting the optional carbon-fibre roof lowers the car's centre of gravity even further and there is also the option of a Carbon package comprising air intake bars, exterior mirror caps and a rear diffuser insert all made from CFRP.

M Sport package, M Technic Sport Package and Chrome Line Exterior add extra dynamism and elegance

The model-specific M Sport package brings extra dynamic sparkle to the character of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. Extra-large air intakes in the front apron, a prominently contoured rear apron with a grey diffuser and specially designed side skirts are all included, along with various other eye-catching design touches. The kidney grille slats have Aluminium matt faces and the inside of the Air Breathers is finished in Pearl-effect Chrome. The M Technic Sport Package adds a number of visual highlights courtesy of extended BMW Individual High-gloss Shadow Line trim for the BMW kidney grille surround and slats, the Air Breathers, the exhaust tailpipes and the side window borders.

The standard Chrome Line for the exterior emphasises the elegant appearance of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe with its chrome finish for the side window graphic and exterior mirror bases, plus High-gloss Chrome for the BMW kidney grille surround and slats, and the exhaust tailpipes. There is also a High-gloss Chrome bar bridging the gap between the integral tailpipes on the left and right of the rear apron, another feature exclusive to the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. Chrome Line can also be specified as an option in conjunction with the M Sport package and for the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe.

Special design features have also been used to accentuate the highly individual look of the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe. The aerodynamically optimised bodywork elements included in the M Sport package are complemented by a front spoiler lip and combine with exclusive styling elements in Cerium Grey. The elements finished in this striking colour include the BMW kidney grille surround and slats, exterior mirror caps, Air Breather inlays and tailpipe trims, the M logo on the front flanks and the model badge on the rear.

Exclusive paint finishes and BMW Individual Compositions

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe will be launched with a choice of one non-metallic and six metallic exterior paint finishes. Carbon Black metallic and Barcelona Blue metallic will be offered as additional exterior colours for the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and in conjunction with the M Sport package. The wide choice of BMW Individual paint finishes and BMW Individual special paint finishes available for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe at launch or shortly afterwards all create a particularly exclusive look. Customers can also take their pick from the BMW Individual matt paintwork variants in a silk matt finish and the particularly eye-catching Frozen Bluestone metallic finish. Plus, the BMW Individual Composition and the BMW Individual Composition with M Sport features - each comprising a precisely coordinated selection of exclusive design details for the exterior and interior - give customers the option of bringing the four-door model's elegantly luxurious side or thrillingly sporty character even further to the fore.

Interior and equipment

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe's distinctive sense of style also shines through clearly in the design of its interior. The four-door sports car gives prime billing to the luxurious side of the new BMW 8-Series range, and blends the sporting flair that sets it apart from its peers with remarkable levels of spaciousness. Both the front and rear of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe treat their occupants to a driving experience underpinned by a neatly resolved blend of dynamism and luxury.

The high-quality interior design is awash with precision details and echoes the exterior's modern, pared-down styling. The cockpit, centre console and door trim are composed of lines pointing lengthways. This reflects the car's dynamic essence and automatically directs the eye to the road ahead, emphasising the focus on sporty driving. The resulting surface structure carries through to the rear compartment, enveloping all the occupants in a harmonious ambience.

The instrument panel and door shoulders in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe are wrapped in fulled leather as standard. The electroplated surfaces of the side air vent surrounds and the accent strips in the vicinity of the door openers also sport a uniform look, allowing the clasp-style door openers to blend very sleekly into the cabin's design. Both the standard leather sports steering wheel and the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe's M leather steering wheel that is optionally available for the other model variants feature multifunction buttons and shift paddles for manual gear selection.

Sports car feel that can be enjoyed from all seats

The centre console rising up towards the instrument panel at the front clearly separates the driver and front passenger areas. Joining the selector lever and the iDrive Controller within a function cluster with active haptic feedback are the Driving Experience Control switch, the button for the electromechanical parking brake and the engine start/stop button. At the console's foremost point, the audio control unit and its function buttons, the air conditioning control panel with its array of buttons, the displays and central air vents for the air conditioning, and finally the freestanding, frameless Control Display are stacked one above the other in a clearly structured arrangement. The centre console continues smoothly through to the rear compartment where it incorporates air vents, a stowage tray, two USB ports and, on models fitted with the optional four-zone automatic climate control, the additional control panel for adjusting the temperature. The surface structure of the folding centre armrest in the rear takes its cue from the centre console's design.

The extended centre console is exclusive to the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe model, as is the rear seat unit featuring outer seats styled as individual seats. The contours and seam patterns of the outer rear seats are modelled on the sports seats in the front. The rear seats likewise offer excellent lateral support and integral head restraints, allowing their occupants to also share in that sports car feel. The design of the centre console reinforces the sensation by forming a clear partition between the left- and right-hand areas of the rear compartment. There is, though, a third seat nestled between the two outer seats with a complete seatbelt system that is suitable for use on short journeys, making the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe a 4+1-seater.

The additional trim finisher at the rearmost end of the centre console gives the front and rear of the cabin an even more consistent feel, as it features the same design as the trim finisher below the audio control unit at the front. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is appointed with Aluminium Mesh Effect Dark trim finishers as standard, while the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe comes with a stainless steel mesh trim design, which is available as an optional extra for other models. The Fineline Copper Effect high-gloss and Ash Grain Metallic Grey high-gloss fine wood trims can also be found on the options list, alongside the Carbon Fibre variant. Besides this, the range of highly exclusive options composed by BMW Individual includes Piano Finish Black trim and Black Ash Silver Effect high-gloss fine wood trim.

Levels of space and comfort that set new standards for a BMW coupe

Thanks to the extra 201 millimetres of wheelbase over the BMW 8-Series Coupe and the generously sized door apertures, passengers in the rear enjoy unprecedented legroom for a BMW coupe and are able to get in and out more easily than ever as well. They also benefit from substantially greater shoulder room and headroom than in the two-door version of the new BMW 8-Series, making the second-row seats even more comfortable to travel in. The slender design of the front seats and the extraordinary expanse of the optional panoramic roof's glass surface further add to the generous feeling of space in the rear of the cabin.

The ambient lighting fitted as standard in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe accentuates the forward-pointing lines inside the car to dramatic effect. The indirect lighting of the contour lines running along the centre console and the door shoulders in the front and rear uses precisely positioned LED fibre-optic light guides to create a dynamic and exclusive mood. The colour of the light can be changed via the iDrive menu. In addition, the Dynamic interior light function emits pulsating light signals in specific situations. These signals appear on the inner panelling of an open door when the engine is running and on the instrument panel in response to an incoming phone call.

Leather trim as standard, 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear backrest

The front sports seats in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe feature head restraints integrated into the backrests, electric seat adjustment and even a standard memory function for both driver and front passenger. High-quality quilting and decorative stitching in a contrasting colour lend added impact to the sporting contours of both the front and rear seats. The standardspecification Vernasca leather trim is available in Black, Cognac and Ivory White. The list of optional extras includes BMW Individual Merino leather trim with extended appointments and BMW Individual Merino full leather trim. Both come in a choice of Black, Cognac and Ivory White as well as a variety of particularly striking two-tone colour schemes, including the new combinations Midnight Blue/Ivory White and Tartufo/Ivory White.

The multifunction seats fitted as standard in the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe stand out with their extra adjustment options, increased lateral support and even better comfort. They offer the driver and front passenger scope to adjust the backrest width and thigh support as desired and are fitted with lumbar support. The new M Sport seats are also available as an option in conjunction with the M Sport package or for the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe. Besides their highly distinctive bucket-seat styling and seat belts with accent stripes in BMW M GmbH colours, headline features include three-dimensional quilting, perforated centre sections and a special stitching pattern.

Newly designed climate seats for the driver and front passenger are available as an upgrade to the standard heated seats. The climate system here made its debut in the new BMW 8-Series range and guides the cooled air along the seat occupant's body, resulting in particularly effective temperature control for the seat cushion and backrest.

The car's luggage-carrying setup can be varied with the greatest of ease courtesy of the 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear backrest, whose individual sections can be folded down from the boot using a lever. Storage spaces and partition nets behind the wheel arches are ideal for transporting smaller items securely. A large loading aperture, low loading sill, flat boot floor and uniform lighting all serve to improve loading comfort. With a capacity of 440 litres, the boot is big enough to accommodate three golf bags, for instance. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also includes automatic boot lid operation as standard, along with Comfort Access for hands-free opening and closing.

BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and M Sport package with exclusive dynamism-enhancing touches

Both standard specification for the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and the M Sport package available for the other model variants contain exclusive design and equipment features that take the dynamic driving experience to even greater heights. In addition to multifunction seats and the M leather steering wheel, these include BMW Individual Merino leather trim with extended appointments in exclusive Black with piping in BMW M GmbH colours. All this, together with an anthracite BMW Individual headliner, M pedals, an M driver's footrest and special floor mats, injects the cabin with a distinctly sporty aura. The illuminated door sills and instrument cluster display the 'M850i' model badge or M logo as applicable. In cars with the M Technic Sport Package, the exclusive interior design is further enhanced by black seat belts with accent stripes in the classic M colours.

Extensive standard equipment and classy options up the luxury and comfort factor

Extremely lavish standard specification trains the spotlight on the exclusive nature of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. A wide array of optional extras can be selected to raise the interior's luxury feel and comfort levels another notch, some of which are exclusive to the four-door sports car. Two cupholders, a 12V socket, a USB port and the wireless charging tray for compatible smartphones can be found under the trim finisher at the front of the centre console. Additional power outlets and USB ports are located under the front armrest's butterfly lid and in the rear. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also comes as standard with electrically adjustable, heated and folding exterior mirrors and the BMW Display Key, which shows the driver the remaining fuel level and service-related information on its colour display, as well as indicating whether the car's doors and windows are locked / closed properly.

Further highlights of the standard equipment list include the BMW Live Cockpit Professional, comprising not only the fully digital screen grouping of the instrument cluster and Control Display but also a navigation system and a hard-drive-based multimedia system with 20 GB of memory. The audio system features a digital amplifier with output of 205 watts and a hi-fi speaker system with nine sound sources arranged throughout the interior. There is also the option of either the Harman Kardon Surround Sound System with output of 464 watts and 16 speakers or the Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System. The unrivalled Diamond loudspeaker technology, fully active 16-channel amplifier with 1,400 watts of music power, dynamic equalising and 16 partly illuminated speakers with stainless steel covers combine to deliver a beautifully precise and multifaceted acoustic experience whose pristine quality can be enjoyed from all seats in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe in equal measure.

A four-zone automatic climate control system and electric sun blinds for the rear side windows and rear window are both available exclusively for the fourdoor variant in the new BMW 8-Series line-up. Also to be found on the list of optional extras are soft-close doors, sun protection glass, an auxiliary heating system and a Heat Comfort package featuring heated armrests and a heated steering wheel. The optional glass applications for selected controls are a joy to look at and to touch, and take the luxury experience on offer inside the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe to another level. If this option is specified, finely polished, modern-looking glass elements adorn the selector lever, the iDrive Controller, the start/stop button and the volume control for the audio system. An illuminated '8' can be seen through the selector lever's glass surface.

Engines, transmission and BMW xDrive

The trio of engines available at the launch of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe are a clear reflection of the four-door sports car's rich breadth of character. Spearheading the line-up is the latest-generation 390 kW/530 hp V8 unit under the bonnet of the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe, which serves up a particularly intense distillation of the enthralling track-inspired concept underpinning it. Power is unleashed with majestic vigour against a suitably emotion-stirring soundtrack. And yet the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also offers something quite different and unique in its segment: a diesel-powered version. The new BMW 840d xDrive Gran Coupe's 235 kW/320 hp sixcylinder diesel engine underlines its credentials as a purveyor of supreme motoring pleasure over long journeys with its effortless power delivery, silky smoothness and remarkable efficiency. The choice of power units is rounded off by a new petrol straight-six with output of 250 kW/340 hp. The latest incarnation of this time-honoured BMW engine type generates the driving pleasure for which the brand is renowned with its infectiously eager response and inimitable appetite for revs.

All the engines available for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe team up with an eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission, which allows the driver to change gears manually using shift paddles on the steering wheel as standard. The latest generation of BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive ensures that drive power is channelled onto the road with supreme dynamism and assurance. The system's rear-wheel-biased setup provides exceptional agility and precision in dynamic handling situations. All-wheel drive comes as standard on the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and new BMW 840d Gran Coupe. The new straight-six petrol variant, meanwhile, can be specified in either all-wheel-drive BMW 840i xDrive Gran Coupe or classical rear-wheel-drive BMW 840i Gran Coupe form. The BMW 840i Gran Coupe's standard M Sport differential with active locking function at the rear axle adds to the sense of BMW driving pleasure in its most authentic form. The M Sport differential is also part of standard specification on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe.

V8 engine: sensational power and acoustics

The 4.4-litre eight-cylinder engine in the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe boasts a raft of technological innovations that raise the bar for responsiveness, pulling power and efficiency. The engine's BMW TwinPower Turbo technology includes two twin-scroll turbochargers with charge air cooling nestling in the V between the cylinder banks, plus High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. Iron-coated cylinder bores and reinforced pistons, independently controlled cooling circuits, intake air ducting with minimised throttling losses and a turbocharging system with electrically operated diverter valves and wastegate actuators are testimony to the motor racing know-how applied in the development of the new V8 unit. A connection between the air ducts for both cylinder banks ensures remarkably even pulsation during gas exchange, resulting in noticeably higher torque at low engine speeds. The direct injection system now works at an increased maximum pressure of 350 bar, resulting in more precise fuel metering and cleaner engine emissions.

The far-reaching updates to engine technology help to produce instantaneous power delivery and sustained thrust - accompanied by a captivating soundtrack imbued with even greater impact by the standard flap-controlled M Sport exhaust system. The new V8 serves up peak torque of 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) between 1,800 and 4,600 rpm, and generates maximum output of 390 kW/530 hp between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm. The new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe races from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.9 seconds. Combined fuel consumption comes in at 10.0 - 9.9 litres per 100 kilometres (28.2 - 28.5 mpg imp), with combined CO2 emissions of 229 - 226 grams per kilometre. Catalytic converters mounted close to the engine and a gasoline particulate filter reduce emissions from the new V8 engine, which meets all the relevant exhaust emission standards worldwide, including the Euro 6d-TEMP norm.

Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine: big on torque and efficiency

The unprecedented presence of a diesel engine in this segment makes it possible to combine the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe's inherent sporting qualities with outstanding long-distance capability. The 3.0-litre straight-six diesel unit with TwinPower Turbo technology gracing the new BMW 840d xDrive Gran Coupe comes with all the right tools for the job. -Multi-stage turbocharging technology produces a sustained build-up of torque from low revs, while common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors generating maximum pressure of 2,500 bar ensures high-precision metering of fuel and clean combustion. The engine's peak torque of 680 Nm (501 lb-ft) is on stream from just 1,750 rpm up to 2,250 rpm, with output reaching its maximum 235 kW/320 hp at 4,400 rpm.

The signature performance characteristics of straight-six diesel units from BMW create an engine equally as adept when cruising effortlessly at low revs and putting in a breathtaking burst of speed. Plus, refuelling stops will be few and far between. Pressing the accelerator hard enables 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) to pass in 5.1 seconds - to the accompaniment of the bespoke sports exhaust system's full-blooded tones. The engine also represents a compelling proposition over long distances, displaying excellent refinement and exemplary efficiency, the latter reflected in average fuel consumption of 6.3 - 6.2 litres per 100 kilometres (44.8 - 45.6 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of 166 - 162 grams per kilometre. Thanks to exhaust gas treatment using BMW BluePerformance technology (including an SCR catalyst with AdBlue injection), the new BMW 840d xDrive Gran Coupe fulfils the stipulations of the Euro 6d-TEMP standard.

New six-cylinder in-line petrol engine majors on refinement and free-revving performance

A newly developed six-cylinder in-line petrol engine provides yet another take on driving pleasure, BMW style, in the four-door luxury sports car. The most recent incarnation of the fabled BMW straight-six blends its natural instantaneous response, appetite for revs and smoothness with optimised efficiency and emissions. The 3.0-litre unit with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology weighs in at around six kilograms less than the engine it replaces and makes its mark with noticeably enhanced elasticity throughout the rev range. These are both key factors in the agile, fleet-footed handling of the BMW 840i Gran Coupe and BMW 840i xDrive Gran Coupe. The new engine places its maximum output of 250 kW/340 hp at the driver's disposal between 5,000 and 6,500 rpm, while peak torque has been upped to 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) - available from 1,600 up to 4,500 rpm.

The new power unit's standout features include the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head, a twin-scroll turbocharger with sharper response and superior acceleration characteristics, and direct injection technology working at an increased maximum pressure of 350 bar. A housing with improved flow characteristics and turbines with reduced masses both help the turbocharging system to ensure rapid build-up of pressure, and the charge air cooler has been incorporated into the intake system. The latest version of the VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing system makes the sort of swift, high-precision adjustments that facilitate instantaneous power delivery and improve engine efficiency. The exhaust manifold embedded in the cylinder head cooling jacket, the new oil module with integral heat exchanger and the split-cooling valve delivering on-demand control of the cooling system all serve to optimise the engine's temperature management. Efficiency is given a further boost by the low-friction belt drive and the reduced weight of both the crankshaft and oil pump.

The new power unit responds instantaneously to every movement of the accelerator and power delivery continues unabated up to very high revs. This enables the new BMW 840i Gran Coupe to dart from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.2 seconds. The new BMW 840i xDrive Gran Coupe is even quicker thanks to its all-wheel-drive technology, taking just 4.9 seconds for the same sprint. The new straight-six unit's superior efficiency translates into combined fuel consumption figures of 7.5 - 7.4 litres per 100 kilometres (37.7 - 38.2 mpg imp) for the BMW 840i Gran Coupe and 7.8 - 7.7 litres per 100 kilometres (36.2 - 36.7 mpg imp) for the BMW 840i xDrive Gran Coupe, together with CO2 emissions of 170 - 168 grams per kilometre and 179 - 176 grams per kilometre respectively. Its emission control system includes a gasoline particulate filter, allowing the two six-cylinder petrol models to satisfy the Euro 6d-TEMP standard.

Eight-speed Steptronic transmission with gearshift paddles on the steering wheel

The engines available for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe combine as standard with the latest version of the eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission, whose wider gear spacing cuts fuel consumption by keeping engine speeds lower, particularly in higher gears. Added to which, the latestgeneration eight-speed Steptronic Sport has reduced torque converter slip and upgraded torsion dampers that reduce rotational irregularities within the powertrain and therefore help to optimise both driving comfort and shift smoothness. The shift dynamics, meanwhile, are even sharper thanks to the transmission's optimised hydraulic control.

Manual gear changes can be carried out using the standard shift paddles on the steering wheel, while the Launch Control function allows the car to power off the line with unbeatable traction and thrilling dynamism.

Intelligent connectivity enhances dynamics and efficiency

The eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission's control unit can adapt its shift strategy to the situation at hand using intelligent connectivity. Data from the standard Navigation system Professional is used to shift down early when approaching a junction and so use the engine braking to slow the car or to avoid unnecessary gear shifts between two bends arriving in quick succession.

Intelligent connectivity also enhances the efficiency of the drive system. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe features situation-based control of the Auto Start Stop function using data collected from the navigation system and the cameras and radar sensors of the standard/optional driver assistance systems. In this way, inefficient engine shutdown - for example when stopping briefly at junctions or roundabouts - can be prevented. The coasting function activated at speeds between 15 and 160 km/h (9 - 99 mph) is also controlled intelligently to make sure the powertrain is only decoupled in driving situations where neither comfort nor performance will be affected. The coasting function is available when ECO PRO mode - and also COMFORT mode in the sixcylinder models - is engaged using the Driving Experience Control switch.

M Sport differential enables supreme traction and agility

The M Sport differential - which comes as standard on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe and BMW 840i Gran Coupe and can be specified for the other model variants as part of the M Technic Sport Package - gives the car's handling an even more dynamic edge. The electronically controlled rear differential lock limits equalisation of the rotational speeds at the inside and outside rear wheel when cornering, allowing the driver to power out of bends with remarkably dynamic verve. The locking effect produced by an electric motor and controlled by the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system also optimises traction and power transfer on roads where grip levels vary between the right and left rear wheels by preventing a wheel with insufficient grip from spinning and deliberately channelling drive power to the other wheel instead.

As well as more nimble handling, the M Sport differential endows the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe with even greater poise. The variable distribution of drive torque between the left and right rear wheels also nips understeer or oversteer in the bud - without braking inputs - when negotiating a quick succession of bends or in situations involving multiple changes of direction and load.

Precise power transfer for unbeatable dynamism: BMW xDrive

The presence of the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system also has an extremely beneficial effect on the sporty handling qualities of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. With its rapid, precise and fully variable distribution of drive torque between the front and rear wheels, it maximises traction and handling stability not only when driving in adverse road conditions, but in highly dynamic driving situations too.

Power is split as required at all times using an electronically controlled multiplate clutch networked with the powertrain and chassis systems on the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. At the same time, the system's rear-biased setup guarantees the driving experience for which BMW sports cars are renowned. When taking corners at speed, for example, just the right amount of extra drive is transferred to the rear wheels to help the car turn into the bend with supreme accuracy. The all-wheel-drive system's dynamic-handling setup is particularly noticeable when the driver selects SPORT or SPORT+ modes using the Driving Experience Control switch.

Chassis technology and driving experience

The vehicle concept and driving characteristics of the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe betray its family ties with the BMW 8-Series Coupe, itself developed alongside the BMW M8 GTE endurance racer. The four-door luxury sports car offers a repertoire of skills that none of its rivals can match, ranging from outstanding performance characteristics to superb comfort levels for all occupants, even on longer journeys.

With its minimised weight, optimised aerodynamic properties, low centre of gravity, balanced weight distribution, rigid body structure and wide tracks (including an extra 28 millimetres of width at the rear compared with the two-door versions of the BMW 8-Series), the four-door coupe's basic blueprint provides the ideal platform for a setup geared squarely to agility and dynamism. The wheelbase is 201 millimetres longer than on the BMW 8-Series Coupe. This enhances ride comfort significantly by enabling the chassis tuning to be modified without compromising its sporting instincts. With a lightweight six-cylinder in-line petrol engine at its front end and classical rear-wheel drive, the new BMW 840i Gran Coupe captures the essence of driving pleasure with particular authenticity.

Chassis technology sharpened with racing know-how

The chassis technology developed for the new BMW 8-Series comprises a double-wishbone front axle built almost entirely from aluminium and a fivelink rear axle featuring sheet steel control arms and aluminium wheel carriers, along with electromechanical steering and exceptionally powerful brakes. The wheel suspension kinematics and elastokinematics have been carefully adapted to the demands of a highly dynamic driving style, delivering maximum agility, precision and performance.

The motor racing experience amassed by BMW M GmbH and its extensive know-how had a formative influence on the chassis technology's design and tuning, and is clearly demonstrated by an array of detailed modifications and bespoke elements. Torsion struts on the front axle and a shear panel incorporated on the rear axle optimise stiffness and the connection of suspension components to the body. Independent rubber bearings - which increase camber stiffness - and additional damping plates at the rear axle further enhance the suspension's dynamic baseline setup. Special wheel carriers and transverse control arms allow camber values on both axles to be raised to the maximum. This significantly increases the car's ability to put down its power through high-speed corners.

Adaptive M suspension with bespoke tuning

All the standard and optional suspension systems - along with the basic chassis components - have been tuned precisely to the fundamental characteristics of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe defined by its dimensions and weight distribution. This has enabled the extraordinary inherent performance qualities of the BMW 8-Series Coupe to be passed on to its four-door sibling. Standard specification includes Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers, whose compression and rebound stages are adjusted continuously and independently of one another. This enables finely metered spring and damping responses, providing the driver with only relevant information about the road surface. The extremely stiff suspension springs reduce roll tendency and allow the dampers to stabilise the wheels as much as possible, avoiding traction losses caused by uneven surfaces. The dampers respond adaptively to both road surface conditions and driving style.

Damping characteristics can be adjusted via the Driving Experience Control switch. SPORT and SPORT+ modes pull out all the stops for dynamic handling and therefore serve up a markedly different driving experience to the comfort-oriented damper settings in ECO PRO and COMFORT modes.

Integral Active Steering brings added agility and poise

The Integral Active Steering fitted as standard in the all-wheel-drive model variants and as an option for the new BMW 840i Gran Coupe makes even lighter work of manoeuvring, increases agility at moderate speeds and allows drivers to negotiate lane changes and high-speed corners with still greater poise and assurance. The system combines Servotronic speed-sensitive power assistance and a variable steering ratio at the front wheels with a steering rear axle.

The rear wheels are steered differently depending on the vehicle's speed, turning in the opposite direction to the front wheels at speeds up to 72 km/h (45 mph) and in the same direction at higher speeds. This allows the car to follow the course set by the driver even more directly and accurately; Integral Active Steering is therefore a particularly effective champion of active, sporty driving styles.

Active roll stabilisation geared towards sporty driving

The active roll stabilisation feature included in the optional Adaptive M suspension Professional endows the car with even sportier handling characteristics. Electric swivel motors on the front and rear axles ensure particularly fast and precise body roll compensation when the driver explores the car's dynamic potential. Active roll stabilisation has an unmistakably sporty setup and adapts to changing requirements. It optimises agility and directional stability on turn-in and helps line the car up as neatly as possible for dynamic acceleration out of corners. The reduced body movement also means fast evasive manoeuvres can be executed with great assurance.

The system also increases straightline comfort by decoupling the permanent connection between the wheels of an axle. By stabilising the wheel in need, the system is extremely effective in counteracting disruptive forces resulting from road surface imperfections on one side of the car. The responses of active roll stabilisation - like those of the electronically controlled dampers - are also modulated according to the weight the vehicle is carrying. This means the number of occupants and loads in the boot are factored in as well, ensuring an unimpeachable driving experience for driver and passengers alike. The chassis systems in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe are orchestrated extremely harmoniously. Given how imperceptibly they go about their business, their overall impact on the driving experience is all the more striking.

Model-specific M Sport braking systems, light-alloy wheels with mixed-size high-performance tyres

The braking systems available for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe stand out with their immense stopping power, high thermal stability, fast responses and excellent feel. All versions combine four-piston, fixed-calliper brakes at the front and single-piston, floating-calliper brakes at the rear. The electromechanical parking brake is integrated into the rear callipers.

The M Sport package customers can specify as an option includes M Sport brakes with discs measuring 374 millimetres in diameter, while the M Technic Sport Package adds the 395 mm brake discs fitted as standard on the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe. Both versions of the M Sport braking system are recognisable by their blue callipers bearing the M logo.

Setting the seal on the performance-focused chassis technology in the new BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe are 20-inch M light-alloy wheels in a Frozen Cerium Grey metallic finish, which are shod with high-performance tyres (front: 245/35 R20, rear: 275/30 R20) purpose-developed for the BMW 8-Series. The other models in the 8-Series Gran Coupe range also leave the factory on mixed-size tyres, with standard equipment including 18-inch light-alloy wheels fitted with 245/45 R18 tyres at the front and 275/40 R18 tyres at the rear. Models with the M Sport package ride on 19-inch M light-alloy wheels with 245/40 R19 tyres at the front and 275/35 R19 tyres at the rear, and the M Technic Sport Package upgrades to 20-inch light-alloy wheels and high-performance tyres.

Driver assistance systems

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe serves up an ultra-progressive blend of performance, long-distance comfort and luxury. This is partly down to the sophisticated driver assistance systems, which help to increase driving comfort and safety in a range of situations. They ease the driver's workload in monotonous driving conditions, such as congestion and slow traffic, and provide effective assistance in complex driving situations both in and out of town.

Depending on the system in question, camera images and the data gathered by radar and ultrasonic sensors are used to monitor the vehicle's surrounding area and either alert the driver to hazards or minimise the risk of an accident with corrective braking and steering. The vast array of assistance systems available as standard or optionally means drivers of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe can experience the latest advances on the road to automated driving.

Standard: Head-Up Display including Optimum Shift Indicator

The BMW Head-Up Display fitted as standard in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe lends itself to fully engaged, intently focused driving. It projects driving-related information onto the windscreen in the form of full-colour graphics. When driving with the Driving Experience Control switch in SPORT or SPORT+ mode, the Head-Up Display also indicates engine speed. Plus, there is a digital Optimum Shift Indicator to assist the sports-minded driver in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe.

Also on the standard equipment list is Cruise Control with braking function, which can be used once the car's speed reaches 30 km/h (19 mph). The optionally available Active Cruise Control system with Stop & Go function is operational at speeds up to 210 km/h (130 mph) and maintains the desired speed while taking not only the traffic situation into account, but also a minimum distance from vehicles ahead (as selected by the driver). Camera images and data from the front radar sensors are used for distance control. The speed restrictions shown by the Speed Limit Info road sign detection system including No Passing Info display can be imported into the system automatically or manually, with a preset adjustment of up to 15 km/h (9 mph). This allows the set speed to be adapted as appropriate. The system deftly adapts the car's speed to the changing traffic situation, and is capable of braking to a standstill then pulling away again automatically. The maximum time that can pass before the car starts off again automatically is 30 seconds.

Distance information also appears in the Head-Up Display. This function helps the driver to keep at a predetermined distance from the vehicle ahead when the cruise control and distance control systems are not activated.

Driving Assistant helps to avoid collisions, change lane and stay in lane

Another highlight feature included as standard on the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is the Driving Assistant. Based on camera and radar technology, it includes the Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function, the latest version of which also alerts the driver when a cyclist is detected. Depending on the situation, the system can bring the vehicle to a halt to either avoid a collision or minimise its consequences.

The Driving Assistant additionally comprises Lane Departure Warning and Lane Change Warning, which are operational from 70 to 210 km/h (44 - 130 mph) and from 20 km/h (12 mph) to top speed respectively and help the driver guide the vehicle back onto the correct line with an active steering input. The Speed Limit Info, rear crossing traffic warning and rear collision warning systems are also all fitted as part of the Driving Assistant.

Driving Assistant Professional: the complete package for comfortable and safe driving

The optional Driving Assistant Professional offers extensive assistance to make driving as safe and as comfortable as possible. In addition to Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, this complete package also includes the steering and lane control assistant. For convenient activation of the two systems, the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe is fitted with a special button on the steering wheel for switching on the Cruise Control and steering and lane control assistant simultaneously. A mode button allows the driver to switch to Cruise Control on its own.

The lane keeping assistant with active side collision protection also forms part of the Driving Assistant Professional. The Driving Assistant Professional additionally includes the Evasion Assistant, extended crossing traffic warning - which reduces the risk of a collision when manoeuvring forwards too - as well as the road priority warning and wrong-way driving warning systems.

Another item on the options list is the BMW Night Vision system comprising pedestrian and animal detection as well as a marker light. It relays a real-time video image to the Control Display showing pedestrians, larger animals and other heat-emitting objects. Any objects detected are additionally illuminated using the headlights' marker light function.

Also included as standard: Parking Assistant and reversing assistant

Drivers of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also receive assistance in a variety of ways when parking and manoeuvring, as the list of standard equipment includes not only Park Distance Control (PDC) with sensors at both the front and rear, but also the Parking Assistant for automatically selecting and manoeuvring into spaces parallel to the road. During the parking manoeuvre, the system takes care of acceleration, braking and steering as well as changing gear. The system can also be used to automatically manoeuvre out of parallel parking spaces.

The Parking Assistant's range of functions also includes the reversing assistant, which helps the driver when exiting parking spaces and manoeuvring within a confined space. The system traces the vehicle's last forward movements in reverse, enabling it to assume the task of steering as it backs up. All the driver has to do is operate the accelerator and brake pedals and monitor the vehicle's surroundings. A distance of up to 50 metres can be covered in this way at speeds of up to 9 km/h (5.5 mph). The system is deactivated if either of these values is exceeded.

The rear-view camera (also standard) is designed to afford drivers a clear all-round view, as are many of the functions included with the optional extra Parking Assistant Plus. The Top View, Panorama View and 3D View functions create a 360-degree image of the vehicle and its surroundings, and this is shown on the Control Display from different perspectives. Meanwhile, the Remote 3D View function allows drivers to call up a three-dimensional live image of their vehicle and its immediate vicinity on their smartphone.

Display and operating system, BMW Connected and ConnectedDrive

Standard specification for the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe includes the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, an intelligent digital helper who responds to the prompt "Hey BMW" and is an intrinsic element of the operating system. The BMW Group is set to revolutionise driving pleasure with the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant and, in so doing, enters a new era in which drivers will increasingly be able to operate their car and access its functions and information simply by speaking. The range of functions and skills available will be constantly expanded as part of updates, which can be carried out seamlessly on a smartphone and in-car by Remote Software Upgrade.

BMWs acquire a digital personality

The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant helps the driver, learns their habits and is familiar with their favoured settings - e.g. for the seat heating or the places they drive to frequently using the navigation system ("Take me home"). One unique feature compared with other digital assistants of this type is the option of giving him a personally selected name (such as "Charlie") to lend him even greater individuality and personality. The Intelligent Personal Assistant awaits the driver's every command, is always there to assist them and even provides casual conversation. He is familiar with the vehicle's functions and is able to operate them as required. Saying "Hey BMW, I'm cold" will prompt the personal assistant to adjust the temperature inside the car accordingly. The assistant will benefit from constant technical upgrades and be able to recognise more and more routines and apply them in the appropriate context. The assistant takes further strides forward with every command given, every question asked and every setting selected.

A constant on-board companion: the digital BMW expert

The arrival of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant ensures there is always a genuine BMW professional on board. He is able to explain all sorts of different functions ("How does the High Beam Assistant work?"), provide current status information ("Is the oil level okay?") and help answer questions ("What warning messages do I have?"). He knows the driver's favourite settings, and can even activate a combination of them to enhance wellbeing. For instance, "Hey BMW, I feel tired" triggers a vitality programme that adjusts the lighting mood, music and temperature, among other things, in order to make the driver feel more awake.

The perfect co-driver

The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant is, in short, the ideal co-driver and comes in particularly useful during everyday driving ("Hey BMW, how far can I drive before I need to refuel?"). He makes light work of navigation, finds parking spaces at the destination, provides information on traffic jams along the route and searches for cafés in the area. He also learns destinations the customer drives to frequently. The assistant's integration into Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business transforms the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe into a voice-controlled mobile office and enables him to join teleconferences at the driver's request. But BMW's Intelligent Personal Assistant is an entertainment expert, too. For example, he can seek out suitable radio stations for the desired music genre ("Play classical music please").

In-car experiences: individual wellness and relaxation while on the move

The Intelligent Personal Assistant even attends to the driver's sense of wellbeing with his Caring Car function. This includes vitality and relaxation programmes, which activate a carefully orchestrated combination of various functions - such as the air conditioning, seat heating / ventilation and music - to refresh or relax the driver while they are at the wheel. The selected programme runs for a duration of three minutes. The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe additionally offers three different Experience Modes for the interior: Executive, Expressive and Wellbeing. They are geared perfectly to suit the driver's current mood and can be activated for as long as desired. Each of the modes caters to the driver's needs by adjusting the lighting, air conditioning, degree of shade, seat heating / ventilation and music accordingly (depending on the equipment features fitted). Quite apart from reducing stress and fatigue, this active enhancement of the driver's sense of comfort also has the effect of increasing road safety. The desired programme can be started by using commands such as "Hey BMW, I'm tired" or "Hey BMW, activate Executive mode".

Turning passengers into co-drivers

The new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe also allows passengers in the front and rear to mould the driving experience in ways they have never done before. Once the driver has given their consent, passengers are able to connect their smartphone to the car using the Connected Command function and then use it to control selected functions. This converts the passengers into co-drivers able to ease the driver's workload - by using BMW Connected to call up the route currently being followed, for example, or adjust the on-board entertainment programme and climate control settings.

The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant forms part of standard specification in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe, together with the Live Cockpit Professional and the new BMW Operating System 7.0, and is included free of charge for the first three years. The Connected Package Professional adds a spread of additional functions.

BMW Digital Key: turning the smartphone into a car key

The BMW Digital Key employs Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to allow the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe to be locked and unlocked from a smartphone, dispensing with the need for a conventional car key. Holding the smartphone up to the door handle opens the car. Once inside, the engine can be started as soon as the phone has been placed in the wireless charging smartphone tray. Accessible via BMW Connected, the BMW Digital Key offers unrivalled flexibility, as the driver can share it with up to five other people. It is available for all NFC-capable Samsung Galaxy smartphones running Android 8.0 and above. Alternatively, customers can use the BMW Key Card. This sophisticated option also features NFC technology and so offers the same functionality as a suitably equipped smartphone.

Connected Navigation with new digital services

"Connected Navigation" encompasses a number of digital services that are designed to turn seamless and contextual route planning both inside and outside the BMW into an even more sophisticated experience. In future, drivers of the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe will be able to send destinations from various apps straight to their car's navigation system. The most important destinations will be stored in BMW Connected and synchronised with the car, so that the key addresses can be accessed from any device at any time. One particularly helpful new feature is the Parking Space Assistant, which proposes various parking options to the driver in good time before the destination is reached. This service includes providing information on the nearest multi-storey car park as well as proposing routes offering a particularly good chance of finding a parking spot close to the destination. The existing On-Street Parking Information and ParkNow services have been intelligently incorporated into the new Parking Space Assistant's scope of functions.

Exactly the right information at just the right time: the BMW Operating System 7.0 display and control concept

The newly designed instrument cluster/Control Display screen grouping and extended functionality take intuitive operation to the next level in the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe, while helping drivers to concentrate even more effectively on the road ahead. The standard-fitted BMW Live Cockpit Professional comprises a fully digital, high-resolution instrument cluster behind the steering wheel with a screen diagonal of 12.3 inches and a Control Display measuring 10.25 inches across. This equipment package also features an adaptive navigation system and a hard-drive-based multimedia system with 20 GB of memory.

The BMW Live Cockpit Professional also brings the benefits of the BMW Operating System 7.0 to the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe. The latest-generation BMW operating system boasts fully digital displays and is geared even more closely to the driver's personal needs - with the aim of maximising their attention levels. The system's clear presentation and structuring are designed to provide drivers with the right information at the right time, aided further by the customisable and personalised content. The redesigned display in the centre of the instrument cluster now leaves enough room for an excerpt from the navigation map, for instance. In the main menu on the Control Display, the driver is able to create and configure up to ten pages, each showing two to four pads (tiles) with live content. Both the content and the graphics are personalised to an even greater degree, as illustrated by the vehicle mock-up that matches the actual model colour and equipment line. The intuitive multimodal interaction between driver and vehicle has undergone further improvement. Depending on the situation, the driver can choose from the familiar iDrive Controller, the steering wheel controls, touch control, voice control or gesture control.

The Live Cockpit Professional is the key to being able to book digital services with total flexibility, as it means new or existing services can be added at any time. In future, BMW customers will be able to download additional digital services at a later date from the ConnectedDrive Store and install them in their car via Remote Software Upgrade. Services can be booked in this way for periods of three months, one year or three years.

Always up to date: Remote Software Upgrade

The Remote Software Upgrade feature keeps the new BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe up to date with the latest software. All updates can be imported over the air, either on a smartphone via BMW Connected or directly into the car using its built-in SIM card. Installation is every bit as simple as a smartphone update. The content of the upgrades can vary, from new software services to improved vehicle functions.

• Praise 11

Have been inside

Not particularly impressed especially with the price tag

The back space is worse than the 640i

However, the electronics are superb, the crystal like knob looks very cool

Quite bulky car to move around on our roads though

The choice of colours also very important 

Do u feel the interior special for a car of this price? somehow i find it too bland compared to panamera and merc cls or amg 4 door

i do find the exterior very well proportioned, even better than the coupe. can't wait to see M8 gc

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Nothing special.

Full of electronic stuff

A little too big and heavy in our small roads for city driving. Do not like the rear space

somehow feel 640i is better 

at the end of the day its about price, but then again, those shopping in this segment, pricing is secondary

Do u feel the interior special for a car of this price? somehow i find it too bland compared to panamera and merc cls or amg 4 door

i do find the exterior very well proportioned, even better than the coupe. can't wait to see M8 gc

• Praise 8

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/11/18/bmw-starts-production-of-the-new-m8-gran-coupe-at-the-dingolfing-plant/

The advent of November marked the start of production for the new BMW M8 Gran Coupé at the BMW Group plant in Dingolfing, making the well-taught location a competence center for the BMW high-end luxury portfolio. As the sixth model variant, the BMW M8 Gran Coupé comprehensively rounds off the BMW 8 Series portfolio and continues the model initiative of the BMW Group in the luxury segment. The BMW Group’s Dingolfing plant will produce up to 60 units of the BMW M8 model family per day, with over 40 percent of this production volume accounting for the Gran Coupé version.

As its Convertible and Coupé counterparts, the all-new BMW M8 Gran Coupé is offered in two output variants: the standard M8 with 600 PS (592 hp) and the M8 Competition with 625 PS (617 hp). The 4.4-liter V8 twin-turbocharged M engine is the most powerful 8-cylinder model ever developed by BMW M GmbH.

According to BMW, the standard, the M8 Gran Coupe can get from 0-60 mph in 3.1 seconds, with the Competition model shaving a tenth off that.

Christoph Schröder, Head of BMW Group’s Dingolfing plant, commented on the occasion: “With the new BMW M8 Gran Coupé, the Dingolfing location once again proved what it is made of. After five successful launches in 2019, we once again reached the top of our model portfolio and strengthened our position as the leader of the luxury segment. All employees can be proud of that.”

The new BMW M8 Gran Coupé will celebrate its world premiere in a few days at the Los Angeles Auto Show, with the market launch scheduled for January 2020. Pricing is set at $130,00 and $143,000 for the BMW M8 Gran Coupe and M8 Gran Coupe Competition, respectively.

At the start of sales, a limited-run of 400 special BMW M8 Gran Coupé First Edition models will be available, finished in an extravagant BMW Individual Aurora Diamond Green color, golden exterior ornaments and BMW Laser headlight filaments painted in vibrant yellow.

Production-Start-BMW-M8-Gran-Coupe-at-Dingolfing-5-1024x683.jpg

Production-Start-BMW-M8-Gran-Coupe-at-Dingolfing-4-1024x683.jpg

Production-Start-BMW-M8-Gran-Coupe-at-Dingolfing-8-1024x683.jpg

Production-Start-BMW-M8-Gran-Coupe-at-Dingolfing-6-1024x683.jpg

• Praise 2