Dream Drive: Navigating the Alpenstrasse in a BMW M140i

Mockngbrd

Supersonic

TL;DR - I will though. But quick question to @Mockngbrd, did you miss having an LSD or not?

6k at Munich to install. Haven't taken out to a B road drive yet, but I'll decide afterward. Would like to hear your opinion though.

(edited)

For the M140i? Tbh i couldn't tell the difference on a public road cos I kept all my safety gadgets on and drove on sport mode only. Not even sport+ as parts of the roads were slightly damp.

I was pushing it quite hard into the corners too, going in much quicker than what I would normally do on our local roads.

I'm guessing that there will be a difference but you'll prob only experience it in 5-10% of your drive? Not sure if it that little bit of enjoyment makes it worth the install.

I would leave it as is, after seeing what the amount of work that goes into every car, I trust that the M engineers know what they are doing and for me, I would spend the money on more enjoyable driving experiences.

6k can prob fund u pretty good driving experiences/lessons in Europe which might give you more enjoyment than installing an LSD. And those skills learnt will stay with you, not the car.

On my third day there i had a training session with the M2 at the BMW driving academy, that has a computer controlled lsd, yes it's easier to kick the tail out and hold a Drift but no, there is no way I'm ever attempting that on the public roads.

Both my cars at home also have LSDs but again, the only time I ever kick it into action is in my carpark when it's wet. So I guess to answer your question, no I didn't miss having the lsd. Purely for bragging rights only :p

Edited by Mockngbrd

Supersonic
(edited)

For the M140i? Tbh i couldn't tell the difference on a public road cos I kept all my safety gadgets on and drove on sport mode only. Not even sport+ as parts of the roads were slightly damp.

I was pushing it quite hard into the corners too, going in much quicker than what I would normally do on our local roads.

I'm guessing that there will be a difference but you'll prob only experience it in 5-10% of your drive? Not sure if it that little bit of enjoyment makes it worth the install.

I would leave it as is, after seeing what the amount of work that goes into every car, I trust that the M engineers know what they are doing and for me, I would spend the money on more enjoyable driving experiences.

6k can prob fund u pretty good driving experiences/lessons in Europe which might give you more enjoyment than installing an LSD. And those skills learnt will stay with you, not the car.

On my third day there i had a training session with the M2 at the BMW driving academy, that has a computer controlled lsd, yes it's easier to kick the tail out and hold a Drift but no, there is no way I'm ever attempting that on the public roads.

Both my cars at home also have LSDs but again, the only time I ever kick it into action is in my carpark when it's wet. So I guess to answer your question, no I didn't miss having the lsd. Purely for bragging rights only :p

Thanks, that's good to know. Appreciate the feedback.

I can actually feel the lack of the LSD in hard cornering on the roads in Sg. It seems more pronounced in this car (M140i) than in the M135i that I had a few cars back. It could be the added torque advantage of this car, or maybe I'm just that little bit more experienced and "sensitive" to rear grip. Whatever the reason, I can feel the rears fighting with one another and the rear getting a little "jittery" especially on bumpy corners.

I know lots of engineering goes into these cars, but we must remember that M performance auto is not the same as full on M. While straight line speed is commensurate (in fact, the M140i/M240i are quicker than the M2 in a straight line up to legal-ish speeds), the handling will never be as good in an MPA as in a normal M. I've heard the LSD goes a long way toward rectifying that deficit.

I plan to take it for a hard B road drive before deciding.

The other car I have, the AMG GT, obviously comes with an LSD.

Edited by Turboflat4

(edited)

Time for M2

Rear jittery not more fun meh? Hahaa

I guess Road conditions play a part too, the roads I has in Germany were great even on their b roads.

Edited by Mockngbrd

@turboflat4 , i was wondering why not you go drive the M2 from Munich back to back with your car to test?

Supersonic
(edited)

@turboflat4 , i was wondering why not you go drive the M2 from Munich back to back with your car to test?

I did that before I bought it. But where can I really push it in Singapore, especially on the short test drive route with the SE next to me?

I did verify the 140 is quicker than the M2 up to 100 km/h. This has been the experience of other reviewers on youtube too. Close, but advantage to the 140/240. It's the B58 vs N55 engine.

Twisties, whole other story. Wasn't my priority as this was a car mainly for my wife. Practicality and cheaper price with performance acceptable to me were my considerations.

Edited by Turboflat4

Hypersonic

Time for M2

Rear jittery not more fun meh? Hahaa

I guess Road conditions play a part too, the roads I has in Germany were great even on their b roads.

Germany B road typically condition are very good.

Only when drive through small town then road condition get bad. Understand from local that those road are maintained by the town.

While main B road are maintain by government.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2