This classy young lady in a Mini

Nostalgia

So this sort of incident is usually too minor to post, but I thought the behavior of this young lady in brown Mini SKP3090E needed to be called out.

This was a two way road, with the way ahead blocked by a large tour bus.  I saw another tour bus coming on in the opposite direction, and moved to the side, right signal on, to let it pass.  The lady in the brown Mini, with zero situational awareness, decided to inch its way out oblivious to her blind side, despite my repeated waves to warn her.  Then, on her way past, she decided to flip me her middle finger.  

https://vimeo.com/220196504

post-52791-0-54683000-1496583426_thumb.png

post-52791-0-81003300-1496583433_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 2

Maybe u not yan dao enuff? Just kidding.

How were u gesticulating to her ? Her action is very low class....

That's behind my office and there are coaches parked there at times.

So this sort of incident is usually too minor to post, but I thought the behavior of this young lady in brown Mini SKP3090E needed to be called out.

This was a two way road, with the way ahead blocked by a large tour bus.  I saw another tour bus coming on in the opposite direction, and moved to the side, right signal on, to let it pass.  The lady in the brown Mini, with zero situational awareness, decided to inch its way out oblivious to her blind side, despite my repeated waves to warn her.  Then, on her way past, she decided to flip me her middle finger.  

Maybe u not yan dao enuff? Just kidding.

How were u gesticulating to her ? Her action is very low class....

That's behind my office and there are coaches parked there at times.

Definitely not yan dao enough...but that's kind of blaming the victim  [laugh]

Just hands up through the windscreen, palm patting toward her in the classic 'please stop' signal.  Low class does not even begin to describe her reaction.

what's the purpose of this thread ?  [confused]

Commentary on rude road use behaviour?

Supersonic

"Too minor to post", yet not only did you post it anyway, but you decided to create a whole new thread when a whole series of "Reckless drivers" threads already exists. [rolleyes]

Please, mods, merge away.

And anyway, what exactly where you gesturing at her for? She was inching her way out carefully. The situation was made dangerous by the idiotic bus parked illegally alongside an unbroken white line, but you just confused and distracted her when she was already being careful. So what exactly were you hoping to accomplish?

• Praise 2

She was signalling she wanted to sleep with you.  [thumbsup]

:D

You just made me realize I may have missed many opportunities in my youth   [:p]

• Praise 4

"Too minor to post", yet not only did you post it anyway, but you decided to create a whole new thread when a whole series of "Reckless drivers" threads already exists. [rolleyes]

Please, mods, merge away.

And anyway, what exactly where you gesturing at her for? She was inching her way out carefully. The situation was made dangerous by the idiotic bus parked illegally alongside an unbroken white line, but you just confused and distracted her when she was already being careful. So what exactly were you hoping to accomplish?

Didn't think this constitutes recklessness.  Just rudeness.

When did MCF degraded to STOMP?

L O C K E D

Small gas guy.

Got ball, kan the classy young lady in the face.

No ball, juz lun loh.

If you reply to this thread, it is shows that my 3rd line is correct.

Supersonic

Didn't think this constitutes recklessness.  Just rudeness.

I'm a big fan of not giving mixed signals on the road. Others seem to get worked up about sudden quick overtaking, etc., but I really don't care as long as one's intentions are perfectly clear and predictable.

Here, the issue is that you were giving her the "hold on" sign when she was already inching her way out (and not jerking or lurching out as some unskilled drivers do). The road was already clear after the bus had passed and she was in no danger by that point. I have no idea if you continued to give her the "hold on" gesture then - but given that you also started moving forward, she might have assumed you're chastising her for getting in your way and not letting you through first. Hence the middle finger.

Rude? Certainly. But your gestures were also unnecessary and very susceptible to misinterpretation as self-righteous indignation.

Turbocharged

This was a two way road, with the way ahead blocked by a large tour bus. I saw another tour bus coming on in the opposite direction, and moved to the side, right signal on, to let it pass. The lady in the brown Mini, with zero situational awareness, decided to inch its way out oblivious to her blind side, despite my repeated waves to warn her. Then, on her way past, she decided to flip me her middle finger.

Bro, you driving Prius la. She thought you taxi driver, see you no up.

If it's me I won't bother to warn her. Sometimes minding your own business is better...

I'm a big fan of not giving mixed signals on the road. Others seem to get worked up about sudden quick overtaking, etc., but I really don't care as long as one's intentions are perfectly clear and predictable.

Here, the issue is that you were giving her the "hold on" sign when she was already inching her way out (and not jerking or lurching out as some unskilled drivers do). The road was already clear after the bus had passed and she was in no danger by that point. I have no idea if you continued to give her the "hold on" gesture then - but given that you also started moving forward, she might have assumed you're chastising her for getting in your way and not letting you through first. Hence the middle finger.

Rude? Certainly. But your gestures were also unnecessary and very susceptible to misinterpretation as self-righteous indignation.

To be fair, middle finger gesture is never acceptable when driving. It can be charged under road rage. That said, hard to charge also...

Supersonic

Bro, you driving Prius la. She thought you taxi driver, see you no up.

If it's me I won't bother to warn her. Sometimes minding your own business is better...

To be fair, middle finger gesture is never acceptable when driving. It can be charged under road rage. That said, hard to charge also...

A lot of people can be hauled up in front of the courts every single day for the thousands of trivial infractions that normally go unheeded and unremarked upon.

In the grand scheme of things, the law should be about protecting one's safe carrying on with one's business and daily life, not petty punishments.

Throwing the book at someone over a minor thing like a raised digit seems egregious. I sincerely hope our police doesn't start acting on all these aggrieved cry baby videos that the ubiquity of dash cams has inflicted upon us.

• Praise 2

Forums are great for sharing viewpoints aren't they.  I'm not sure on what you're basing your interpretation of when I signaled, and whether I was causing confusion, but there certainly seems to be plenty of tolerance for rude behavior.

I don't usually move in circles where people throw up middle fingers for nothing.  Seems like people cocooned behind computer keyboards, and in the safety of their vehicular glass houses think that it's easy to do so with little consequence.   The varied replies to this thread are a social commentary in and of themselves, with some reacting with humor, and others with outrage.

Supersonic
(edited)

I bet if the driver wasn't classy young lady, won't have so many white knight supporters.....

If the driver were a hideous Quasimodo type, I'd still say the thread starter was overreacting big time.

Forums are great for sharing viewpoints aren't they.  I'm not sure on what you're basing your interpretation of when I signaled, and whether I was causing confusion, but there certainly seems to be plenty of tolerance for rude behavior.

I don't usually move in circles where people throw up middle fingers for nothing.  Seems like people cocooned behind computer keyboards, and in the safety of their vehicular glass houses think that it's easy to do so with little consequence.   The varied replies to this thread are a social commentary in and of themselves, with some reacting with humor, and others with outrage.

Yes, you're reacting with unwarranted outrage, and I'm reacting with warranted humour to it. :D

The circles we move in has little to do with it. Grow up and learn to take things like a man. This is really not a big deal at all.

Edited by Turboflat4

(edited)

Grow up and learn to take things like a man.

Trying to get a rise out of me with childish language?  Grow up yourself  [laugh]

The incident is nothing.  The unwarranted rude behavior is not something that was common in the Singapore I grew up in, and it's our failing in our society if we don't call it out.  Apathy is not a winning strategy.

Edited by Nostalgia

Supersonic
(edited)

Trying to get a rise out of me with childish language?  Grow up yourself  [laugh]

I'm curious which of my language, exactly, you found childish.

Anyway, I'll leave you to your smug self satisfaction. Please don't rupture an aneurysm if too many raised middle fingers happen to be brandished your way. :D

The incident is nothing.  The unwarranted rude behavior is not something that was common in the Singapore I grew up in, and it's our failing in our society if we don't call it out.  Apathy is not a winning strategy.

And I'm calling out your petty, vindictive, shaming behaviour. As you say, apathy is not a winning strategy, so I refuse to be apathetic about your behaviour too. :D

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement