Kia Stonic

Thecarboy302

1.0t 3 valves might struggle if traveling on high speed route. Overtaking be dangerous so do avoid at all possibilities.

Absolutely rubbish... this 1.0 L turbo makes 118 bhp with 171 Nm torque... the Cerato 1.6 L NA makes similar power at 127 bhp with 151 Nm torque... I don't see any problem with the Cerato travelling on the North South Highway... I had no problems overtaking myself when driving a Subaru Impreza making just 100 bhp... and what about all those little Perodua cars in Malaysia??? Don't anyhow say if you don't know...
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I would say Stonic is not worth the selling price. Yes...there are better cars than the Stonic at this price range.

Nothing wrong with the Kia Stonic, but at $77K for the base model and up to  $83K for the top end model, there are many alternatives at massive savings, eg. Honda Jazz 1.3 or Perodua Myvi 1.5 at $70K.

End of the day, a 4 cylinder, 16 valve  engine is way more refined and efficient  than the Stonic's 3 cylinder, 12 valve  and the 998cc engine capacity means it is very dependent on the turbo to get it moving up to speed.  It's like Ben Johnnson on steroids. - https://home.bt.com/news/on-this-day/september-27-1988-ben-johnson-is-stripped-of-his-olympic-gold-medal-after-failing-drugs-test-11364007354384

Once the turbo malfunctions, it will be costly to replace. 

On paper the 998cc engine may look underpowered, but with modern turbocharger providing peak torque at 1500rpm to 2000rpm these days, only a bit of turbo lag is encountered at stationary before u get the full torque for city driving.

The myvi or fit 1.3 won't be able to provide identical torque. Except for the 1.5 hybrid where the electric motor is able to provide instant torque for low rpm torque

I have change from Honda fit 1.3 to stonic. I was also initially very sceptical of 1 liter 3 cylinder engine.

But after test drive, I personally feel stonic is much better drive. I test drove with 4 full adults and a toddler

The setup of low end turbo and dct transmission really win the 1.3 engine and CVT setup in city driving.if u want a more fun and engaging drive this is it.

Of course I still have reservations on the reliability but heck the long guarantee provided by Kia cover this.i also clarify guarantee is cover by Kia themselves not cycle and carriage.

• Praise 1

I have change from Honda fit 1.3 to stonic. I was also initially very sceptical of 1 liter 3 cylinder engine.

But after test drive, I personally feel stonic is much better drive. I test drove with 4 full adults and a toddler

The setup of low end turbo and dct transmission really win the 1.3 engine and CVT setup in city driving.if u want a more fun and engaging drive this is it.

Of course I still have reservations on the reliability but heck the long guarantee provided by Kia cover this.i also clarify guarantee is cover by Kia themselves not cycle and carriage.

Note the engine warranty comes with many terms n conditions. Read carefully.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for all bros for the feedback.

In a way the stonic is good for city drive but may struggle when traveling long distance?

In term of safety, unless people whack from the back very hard else I think it's still workable.

I did consider cerato but I just don't like sedan..(personal preference).

Honda fit / jazz was in my watch list but again..when I compare the safety..I think stonic is better?

Turbocharged

I really dun understand the compact suv segment... small and cheap inside but u pay more just for the raised chassis? Big wheels so expensive ah?

Can buy Perodua Myvi and raise the suspension. Will save a lot. :-)

Thanks for all bros for the feedback.

In a way the stonic is good for city drive but may struggle when traveling long distance?

In term of safety, unless people whack from the back very hard else I think it's still workable.

I did consider cerato but I just don't like sedan..(personal preference).

Honda fit / jazz was in my watch list but again..when I compare the safety..I think stonic is better?

Don't worry lar... the car has no problem for how you intend to use it... the same unit is sold in Europe and it's driven all over with no issue... there's no such thing as not safe for highway or high speed travel... all cars meet minimum safety standards, and while you may not be able to high top speeds like cars with bigger engine capacities, you're looking at speeds above 150 km/h... which are way beyond legal limits... no sense in not buying the car cos you can't easily reach 180-220 km/h... even with the small Perodua Myvvi stock engine, I see these cars run up to 150 km/h easily... and safely... the Malaysians travel long distances at high speeds much more frequently than we ever do... so relax... the Stonic is a great car...
  • Praise 2

Provided you service with them for the full 10 years to get the full 10 years warranty?

I think their bs 10 years warranty is for engine only.

You rarely hear engines of korean cars going bust in the first 10 years anyway.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

From the way you post bad about the stonic I already know what type of person you are

Chill..

Do test drive a 1.0t. Be it seat ibiza or polo or thos stonic.

I only tested ibiza. It was surprisely torquey. Better drive than avante for sure. Though avante offers better all round and more value.

This 1.0y does have the fun drive factor. Perhaps really well mated to small cars. Zippy i say. Agile.

Back to stonic. Priced okay though the ves makes it kinda "cheap". Makes it have a higher depreciation..

Stonic looks nice.

I would say Stonic is not worth the selling price. Yes...there are better cars than the Stonic at this price range.

Btw whats the real sell price for this ride currently?

Size wise i compare this to jazz.

Jazz mid range prob now 72k i tink. Almost same parf value after 10yrs.

Stonic will be more fun to drive. But maybe poorer resale value. But the fun factor n slightly better specs compared to jazz i feel.

Stonic must get the sx model coz it looks better. More speced.

I did visited this model sometime ago and was bowed over by the exterior looks.

But i hear prices kept creeping up now lor.

• Praise 1

Chill..

Do test drive a 1.0t. Be it seat ibiza or polo or thos stonic.

I only tested ibiza. It was surprisely torquey. Better drive than avante for sure. Though avante offers better all round and more value.

This 1.0y does have the fun drive factor. Perhaps really well mated to small cars. Zippy i say. Agile.

Back to stonic. Priced okay though the ves makes it kinda "cheap". Makes it have a higher depreciation..

Stonic looks nice.

Btw whats the real sell price for this ride currently?

Size wise i compare this to jazz.

Jazz mid range prob now 72k i tink. Almost same parf value after 10yrs.

Stonic will be more fun to drive. But maybe poorer resale value. But the fun factor n slightly better specs compared to jazz i feel.

Stonic must get the sx model coz it looks better. More speced.

I did visited this model sometime ago and was bowed over by the exterior looks.

But i hear prices kept creeping up now lor.

If prices creep up, then the cerato will be a better choice

Neutral Newbie

I saw the Kia stonic at showroom today...finally seen it after researching it for so long..

overall my only concern is the small boot space..back seat was ok but like most review mentioned..if you have 3 big size adults then you will have a problem..

Now its whether with that price is it worth it although i like the design.

in a dilemma now...

• Praise 3

I saw the Kia stonic at showroom today...finally seen it after researching it for so long..

overall my only concern is the small boot space..back seat was ok but like most review mentioned..if you have 3 big size adults then you will have a problem..

in a dilemma now...

wait for Hyundai Venue lah

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

I went to test drive the stonic yesterday because I was doing a mystery shopper assignment.

The display got temperature display for the DCT. First time I see.

Never see it on VW before.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Good news stonic buyer...!! C&C is giving away S$1000 extra service credit if you book a Stonic before Aug 25, 2019 using my original referral letter.

If you are interested, please contact me. Only available for one buyer... :)

• Praise 3

in a dilemma now...

Hi bro, honestly the boot space will not change, it is a fixed fact un-like other factors eg: performance, comfort and ICE where there are upgrades available. 

Is your top concern the boot space and rear sitting capacity? think about your regular passengers and items in the boot, can it be managed with the Stonic on this regular basis? if not then move on and consider other Asian/Eurpoean manufactures. Use the SGcarmart car comparison page, i find it useful for a overview. 

i cant comment on long distance driving especially the NSHW, but in SG roads the Stonic is fresh and new, it is still upfront cheaper vs. other manufactures (road tax too), it is a good performing car and comfortable for SG roads, there are 6 airbags, turbo and all the function a driver needs in a modern car.

on my Stonic i drive a mix of city and HW and i do average 640k per 43L petrol, but my fc states 15.2k/L.  

• Praise 2

(edited)

in a dilemma now...

if boot space is your main priority, get a sedan instead or a bigger suv with proper boot space. Stonic boot space is pretty shallow and small.

rear seats of stonics are slightly smaller as you can't fit 3 adults comfortably. after driving a swift for 2 years, decided that boot and rear passenger space are my main priority so i got rid of it recently. no doubt hatchbacks/mini suvs give you a very good drive cause of the agility but in sg, we are paying so much so just go for a functional car instead. 

dont make the same mistake unless you are really sure you dont need the rear comfort and boot space. 

Edited by makeanewcall
  • Praise 1

I went to test drive the stonic yesterday because I was doing a mystery shopper assignment.

The display got temperature display for the DCT. First time I see.

Never see it on VW before.

It will display warning if temperature is too high and ask you to stop safely [;)]

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

It will display warning if temperature is too high and ask you to stop safely [;)]

So stucked in those grandfathers jam at woodlands 死掉了咯?zuomo 将的?
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1