Kia Stonic

Thecarboy302

Hypersonic

Just to add. He went over to CNC and the service advisor told him this is common in dct and must learn to either stop plus neutral at jam OR go.

Don't creep which will overheat the dct.

I think he has learnt how to live with it.

That’s F up.
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Just to add. He went over to CNC and the service advisor told him this is common in dct and must learn to either stop plus neutral at jam OR go.

Don't creep which will overheat the dct.

I think he has learnt how to live with it.

Ouch. I thought he bought a volksvagen

The problem is we like to let the car creep forwards... that is a bad habit due to the conventional auto gearbox. If you drive manual and always let the car creep, your clutch will wear out way before time too... nothing surprising... if you step firmly on the brakes at a stop, the clutch will disengage. When the traffic moves, release the brakes completely and step on the accelerator to engage the clutch. In a traffic jam, don't creep forward. Just allow a gap to form in front of you. Move forward decisively when the gap forms. I avoid jams by trying to enter a non-peak timings.

Supercharged

The problem is we like to let the car creep forwards... that is a bad habit due to the conventional auto gearbox. If you drive manual and always let the car creep, your clutch will wear out way before time too... nothing surprising... if you step firmly on the brakes at a stop, the clutch will disengage. When the traffic moves, release the brakes completely and step on the accelerator to engage the clutch. In a traffic jam, don't creep forward. Just allow a gap to form in front of you. Move forward decisively when the gap forms. I avoid jams by trying to enter a non-peak timings.

Agree. Just step on the brake firmly when stopping. When moving off, just release the brakes and step on the accelerator to go. Just don’t release the brake and let the car roll forward on its own. I believe my DSG aka DCT will last.

Agree. Just step on the brake firmly when stopping. When moving off, just release the brakes and step on the accelerator to go. Just donât release the brake and let the car roll forward on its own. I believe my DSG aka DCT will last.

Your belief and reality may not align. Just be prepared.

Headache in sg buy a car for more than 70k still need to think of when to use and when not to use it?

In a jam situation, if u wait for gap to form between u and the front car, trust me either the car beside u will cut in, or the car behind will honk at u. No one wants to get stuck in a jam and so everyone is feeling impatient and frustrated. Thats why whenever front car inch forward, u will tend to follow closely.

(edited)

Headache in sg buy a car for more than 70k still need to think of when to use and when not to use it?

It's not a headache... it's actually a poor driving habit... but we have become so used to allowing our cars to creep forward cos we've been driving automatic cars... this current car is actually my first automatic... I have previously driven manuals only which I largely prefer... when driving manual, I also don't half-clutch to allow the car to creep forward... why would you do that with a dual clutch gearbox just because it's automatic?

In a jam situation, if u wait for gap to form between u and the front car, trust me either the car beside u will cut in, or the car behind will honk at u. No one wants to get stuck in a jam and so everyone is feeling impatient and frustrated. Thats why whenever front car inch forward, u will tend to follow closely.

I know... I have been in jams before... my Dad's Renault Fluence also uses a DCT but he doesn't let the car creep forward under normal circumstances... he seldom gets caught in a jam across the Tuas Second Link but when he does, I never heard his car got problem with the DCT... I'm sure some amount of creeping is necessary in a jam but I think what I was trying to say was not to step on the brake to just balance the drive from the gearbox so that you're ready to move relatively quickly on releasing the brakes. When you do that, the clutch is still half-engaged actually. Step on the brakes fully to disengage the clutch. When you release, the car takes a while to engage the clutch so you don't move forward so quickly, there's a perceptible lag... this is what preserves your DCT gearbox... so that you have ample allowance for the creeping necessary... that's how I see my Dad drive his DCT equipped car... Edited by teomingern

It's interesting to let a car determine our lives and driving habits instead of the other way round when a car is meant to be our slaves and workhorse.

• Praise 1

It's interesting to let a car determine our lives and driving habits instead of the other way round when a car is meant to be our slaves and workhorse.

Buy altis. Dun buy cars with dct gearbox and ruin your life.

Hypersonic

Precisely.

Cannot creep forward, cannot stuck in causeway jam, gearbox need to cool down.

[knife]

Hypersonic

driving engagement as claim...

Kona will be more engaging with a 6 speed manual gearbox.

Same engine with a nicer look to me. 

Supersonic

Buy altis. Dun buy cars with dct gearbox and ruin your life.

But altis now running on cvt.

That's just marketing gimmick. Are there people who actually believe it?

If you have driven a car with a DCT gearbox, you'll understand that...
  • Praise 1