SEAT Arona

Fishycat

Vertex needs to buck up.

Skoda is doing well despite re-entering the market later than SEAT.

Very Much Agreed !!! Think some commercial ads will do the trick.

https://imgur.com/a/fOV4oZD

After collection yesterday, doing pps and solar films :)

Welcome to the Club Bro  [smash]

I think Seat is coming up.. use to see afew Seat make car from once a month to once a week  [thumbsup]

Yes.. I been seeing quite a few Aronas & Cupras popping up here & there  [drivingcar]

• Praise 1

Parked my car at a car park at bishan and as I was heading back to it, saw a man walking round my car. Turned out he drove a Jazz parked next to my car, and asked a few questions about it - he really liked the design. He didnât even know the Seat brand. Looks like Seat needs to advertise a bit more!

Bro, i had a similar experience today.

I went to get car mat when a random stranger came up and walked around my Arona. He and wife said the car looked very nice and sporty.. and was very surprised when i mentioned it has a 1.0 engine. Became a sales person and talked about the Arona features.

• Praise 2

Haha, that’s great! I seem to rave quite a bit about the car to my friends and relatives, am totally convinced it’s all the car I need, tho many people are skeptical until I take them for a drive (and showing off the park assist).

I did miss trying to pack a 7-ft Xmas tree into it recently (had the tree delivered instead). Am waiting for CNY to go out and lug some plants back in it. I watched carwow’s video on the car to find out that you can store the luggage cover under the boot floor (you got to slide out the plastic separator on the left of the boot). And I have another trip north next month to stretch the car’s legs a bit. Total miles now just over 6.5k since early May delivery.

• Praise 1

Vertex needs to buck up.

Skoda is doing well despite re-entering the market later than SEAT.

Agreed too! Reminds me of Ssangyong Suv, their TV ad campaign is aggressive. I now see a lot of Ssangyong Suv in the roads now. Skoda's campaign is also very aggressive - Yishun/sgcarmart road show, newspapers, IG/FB, radio, etc.

Recently I saw a couple of IG ads on Seat, but not a lot

• Praise 1

Dear fellow Arona drivers, I got a few questions on the gearbox - wondering if you have any ideas/clues/answers:

I am struggling with Drive mode, the gearbox upshift a bit too quickly, sometimes I barely reach 60kmh but the gearbox shifted to 7th liao. The engine sounds laborious trying to catch up. But sport mode gearshift seems more “natural” - but I am still in run-in stage (i.e <1500km), not sure if it is ok to engage in S mode (manual didn’t say cannot lah)

1) Have you guys tried switching to S mode while the car is still moving? (Had the impression that the car should ideally be in stationary before switching to S mode)

2) I read there is a Kick-down feature in the manual? anyone knows how it works?

3) (Silly qns) - again, i saw in the manual that some Aronas have Launch Control Mode, do SG Aronas have it too? hahaha

Many thanks

• Praise 2

Hi Benji7.

Yeah I’ve experienced the quick upshift and the seeming laboring of the engine. Usually when I get stuck in slow moving traffic.

Firstly autoboxes nowadays have software that ‘remembers’ your driving style or road condition - so for example if you’re a ‘light’ driver, the gearbox will shift up to help save fuel. For the Arona, peak torque comes in quite low, at about 1500 rpm (not much above idling) so I don’t think there’s much ‘laboring’ of the engine even though it sounds like it - the next prod of the accelerator will bring the gearbox into the right gear (ie whether you need sudden acceleration or continuing your cruise). And i’ve found that you can get to the right gear quite quickly when you need to, even in D - when I drove up to Genting, the software was better at detecting which gear to be in than for me to shift manually - in fact I was quite impressed that the gearbox changed so quickly into the best gear, whether I was heading uphill or downhill. So I don’t think you have to worry about the quick upshift - when you need the power, just step on it.

Shifting between S and D is merely a mapping change, no mechanical change is involved, so I don’t think there’s any harm in shifting between them even when the car is moving.

I don’t think the car has kickdown in the traditional sense where you mash the accelerator into the carpet which triggers downshifting and engine management changes. In the Arona I understand that it’s just signaling to the DSG programme, there’s no engine signal (not like for example, the Ford 1-litre turbo, which can give extra thrust for short periods). And certainly no launch control (which allows the engine to rev up for launch) - i don’t think the Arona needs it cos simply not enough power!

Just sped back home in D mode, was first off at the lights, didn’t exceed 3000rpm, totally left everyone else in the dust. Seldom feel the need for S mode!

• Praise 2

Hi Benji7.

Yeah I’ve experienced the quick upshift and the seeming laboring of the engine. Usually when I get stuck in slow moving traffic.

Firstly autoboxes nowadays have software that ‘remembers’ your driving style or road condition - so for example if you’re a ‘light’ driver, the gearbox will shift up to help save fuel. For the Arona, peak torque comes in quite low, at about 1500 rpm (not much above idling) so I don’t think there’s much ‘laboring’ of the engine even though it sounds like it - the next prod of the accelerator will bring the gearbox into the right gear (ie whether you need sudden acceleration or continuing your cruise). And i’ve found that you can get to the right gear quite quickly when you need to, even in D - when I drove up to Genting, the software was better at detecting which gear to be in than for me to shift manually - in fact I was quite impressed that the gearbox changed so quickly into the best gear, whether I was heading uphill or downhill. So I don’t think you have to worry about the quick upshift - when you need the power, just step on it.

Shifting between S and D is merely a mapping change, no mechanical change is involved, so I don’t think there’s any harm in shifting between them even when the car is moving.

I don’t think the car has kickdown in the traditional sense where you mash the accelerator into the carpet which triggers downshifting and engine management changes. In the Arona I understand that it’s just signaling to the DSG programme, there’s no engine signal (not like for example, the Ford 1-litre turbo, which can give extra thrust for short periods). And certainly no launch control (which allows the engine to rev up for launch) - i don’t think the Arona needs it cos simply not enough power!

Just sped back home in D mode, was first off at the lights, didn’t exceed 3000rpm, totally left everyone else in the dust. Seldom feel the need for S mode!

Thanks @Keepmoving ! This is very insightful, especially coming from a fellow Arona! Loving this car even more now! 

Recently saw a Leon Sport Tourer around my place.. looks cool too! 

• Praise 1

Most welcome, Benji7. Took my friend out to lunch just now and blasted back to his office in S mode - he drives an A250 and was pretty impressed by the power of the Arona. The route went by a big circle where I overtook a couple of cars which showed off the car’s roadholding and handling. It’s not just how driveable the car is, it’s the driveability at the price point and the low operating costs that is such a great combination. Our road tax system adds another dimension to highlight how a small car can really work.

Hey guys,

I’ve been readingyour posts for a while and I have finally put down the down payment for a silver arona FR. very excited.

Quick question: when you get a new car in Europe, on some occasions they service it after 1000km to flush out any small metal parts (basically a big oil change) and they ask you to drive in a certain way. Have you guys done any of that? I know the first servicing is at 5000km but just curious.

Also, any other advice for the first few miles on the car. Anybody recommend the ceramic coating? Somebody mentioned ceramic coating on the inside...not sure you were joking or not...any advice would be helpful!

Thanks arona buddies. We should open a club!

• Praise 1

Hey guys,

I’ve been readingyour posts for a while and I have finally put down the down payment for a silver arona FR. very excited.

Quick question: when you get a new car in Europe, on some occasions they service it after 1000km to flush out any small metal parts (basically a big oil change) and they ask you to drive in a certain way. Have you guys done any of that? I know the first servicing is at 5000km but just curious.

Also, any other advice for the first few miles on the car. Anybody recommend the ceramic coating? Somebody mentioned ceramic coating on the inside...not sure you were joking or not...any advice would be helpful!

Congrats.

Your nick tells how happy you are.  :D

Hey guys,

for pps i can recommend a place..

not sure about ceramic coating on the inside, but my package includes some tidying up and some form of protecter on both the leather and plastic parts of the interior. and the usual color correct and coating on the outside

• Praise 1

Hi everyone. Hi NewArona, welcome to the ‘club’!

Those were the days when cars were not as precisely manufactured and were less well insulated when the car was being delivered from overseas and it made sense to change the engine oil (apart from residues from production, water condensation could contaminate the oil). I don’t think changing the oil at 1000km is necessary, unless of course you want to put in ‘better’ oil (but considering the modest power of the Arona, don’t think there’s a need for that). Having said that, my car’s free servicing schedule was set at 1k, 10k and 20k km, so I did go for the oil change at 1k.

I just came back from my third trip up to Genting in 6 months (just to set the record straight I ain’t a gambler, haha! Love the drive up and the cool air), the car impressed again (even compared to a 5 series 2.5 litre I took up years ago, maybe not as involving, but the Arona is really fast). And then tackled the ‘challenging’ roads of KL (easy to avoid potholes with a small car which could be ‘fatal’ - I popped a rear suspension turret on a car in M’sia before!). One thing to mention about M’sian drivers, they really do give way when you’re barreling towards them, kudos to them for observing this road courtesy!

• Praise 1

Thanks for the welcoming messages!

I read some mixed review about doing the ceramic coating/glass coating/diamond coating...not sure what the difference is! Also, price quoted varied between $400 to $1500!

Do you guys recommend doing it? If yes, any recommended place and what price is reasonable?

I read some mixed review about doing the ceramic coating/glass coating/diamond coating...not sure what the difference is! Also, price quoted varied between $400 to $1500!

Do you guys recommend doing it? If yes, any recommended place and what price is reasonable?

I used Happy Car, can search facebook for their contact info. They will come down to your MSCP to do the application. Price around $300.

Side question, anyone here installed the Hella DR820 managed to get the motion sensor recording to work? Mine doesn't seem to be recording once the car is parked and shut down.

• Praise 1

https://www.facebook.com/BpFormulaCare/

Definitely making washing a  lot easier with half the time.. better protection against Birdshit & treesap

I'll just go with Glass coating (less chances of watermark than ceramic) @ reasonable cost of $3-400.. Previous ride on $600+ still ends up hydrophobic layer gone in 2yrs .... So I will not believe in those 5/10yrs warranty BS.. if last so long every car, what they earn?

Will post my ride with the FMJ coating result later  [sunny]

• Praise 1

Yes will do it. SEAT agent recommended angel wax in ubi. Apparently very good reputation.

Side question: what paper work do you need to take the car across to Malaysia? How do you pay highway tolls on the Malaysian highways?

↡ Advertisement