Memory Card lifespans in car cameras

7hm

For me, at the moment its the Samsung Evo and Evo Plus.

Yup.. I also feel Samsung evo is one of the best memory card for car camera.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/evo-microsd-card/MB-MP128DEU/

Look at specs for heat range it could take from - 25 to 85 degrees C.

It is magnetic and x-ray proof.

All these are suitable for in car cam where it is exposed to sunlight and heat.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

i've never experienced such a problem.. car cameras also have g-sensors to protect footage from 'events'.. why would you need to keep all your footage forever?

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm referring to.

Normal memory cards start to have difficulties writing consistently, meaning they cannot record new footage properly. It's not about keeping footage forever, it's that at some point, the chip inside the memory card has worn out and cannot write new content.

A typical memory card, if my math is right, will start having such writing errors within months, while a high endurance card is typically advertised to survive more than two years.

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm referring to.

Normal memory cards start to have difficulties writing consistently, meaning they cannot record new footage properly. It's not about keeping footage forever, it's that at some point, the chip inside the memory card has worn out and cannot write new content.

A typical memory card, if my math is right, will start having such writing errors within months, while a high endurance card is typically advertised to survive more than two years.

Yup..

If want to buy microsd card for car cam, if drive long hours everyday, better get a high endurance type.

Look at the specs for Samsung evo endurance..

post-14834-0-31526100-1547274092_thumb.jpg

Imagine let's say everyday this 32gb microsd card record say average about 4 hours per day in the car. It will need about 12 years for this microsd card to get end of lifespend.

So yeah..

Edited by Yewheng

Neutral Newbie

i previously used those cheaper budget sd cards for my card cam, but they get fried pretty fast.

samsung one works for me for a long time. for those investing in good in-car camera, its always advisable to get a better class & grade of SD class.

the class & grade determines how fast the image "video" is being written into your sd card, so of course if u're using a very good HD camera, it is best (in fact recommended) to invest and buy a good sd card.

u can test out the difference on any less than $50 car camera with a lousy SD card vs a good SD card. surprisingly, a good SD card gives very good clarity, resolution than a lower grade one.

remember Grade 1, Class 10 doesnt necessary means good. I'm using Grade 3, Class 10, Samsung. 

Use this link for reference. This applies for even your USB stick etc. That explains why some SD card are more expensive even on the same size.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-to-Identify-Your-microSD-Card-Class-Rating

Turbocharged
(edited)

I'd generally recommend SLC (if you can confirm it), or high endurance cards for use in 24/7 recording or car cameras.

The best price performance would come from cards labelled as dedicated high endurance video surveillance cards like the Transcend or SanDisk high endurance, I believe Samsung also has one now.

I think ultra high performance cards like SanDisk ExtremePro also use SLC NAND and deliver higher endurance as well.

i previously used those cheaper budget sd cards for my card cam, but they get fried pretty fast.

samsung one works for me for a long time. for those investing in good in-car camera, its always advisable to get a better class & grade of SD class.

the class & grade determines how fast the image "video" is being written into your sd card, so of course if u're using a very good HD camera, it is best (in fact recommended) to invest and buy a good sd card.

u can test out the difference on any less than $50 car camera with a lousy SD card vs a good SD card. surprisingly, a good SD card gives very good clarity, resolution than a lower grade one.

remember Grade 1, Class 10 doesnt necessary means good. I'm using Grade 3, Class 10, Samsung. 

Use this link for reference. This applies for even your USB stick etc. That explains why some SD card are more expensive even on the same size.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by Grades.

Do you mean U1, U2, U3 etc.? U refers to the UHS class, which is a much higher speed rating. A card can be simultaneously marked as U1/U3 and Class 10. Class 10 is the original SD specification which defines the minimum speed the card can deliver, while UHS uses a different bus and is again speed related, so it does not have much to do with the endurance of the card.

At the same time, cards rated with high speeds are typically using higher quality NAND that might last longer. Speed-wise, as long as your card can sustain the minimum write speed of your camera's bit rate, you don't need much higher than that. But as you say, high resolution video requires a pretty hefty minimum write speed that the card must handle.

Edited by 7hm

Neutral Newbie

I'd generally recommend SLC (if you can confirm it), or high endurance cards for use in 24/7 recording or car cameras.

The best price performance would come from cards labelled as dedicated high endurance video surveillance cards like the Transcend or SanDisk high endurance, I believe Samsung also has one now.

I think ultra high performance cards like SanDisk ExtremePro also use SLC NAND and deliver higher endurance as well.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by Grades.

Do you mean U1, U2, U3 etc.? U refers to the UHS class, which is a much higher speed rating. A card can be simultaneously marked as U1/U3 and Class 10. Class 10 is the original SD specification which defines the minimum speed the card can deliver, while UHS uses a different bus and is again speed related, so it does not have much to do with the endurance of the card.

At the same time, cards rated with high speeds are typically using higher quality NAND that might last longer. Speed-wise, as long as your card can sustain the minimum write speed of your camera's bit rate, you don't need much higher than that. But as you say, high resolution video requires a pretty hefty minimum write speed that the card must handle.

Yup, am referring to U1/U3  on grading of the SD card.

And yes, I am on Samsung Pro Endurance card, have worked for me the last 2yrs or so now, better than the under $30 ones that constantly fry every few weeks.

↡ Advertisement