Flyover collapses at Upper Changi, PIE

Showster

Can't imagine if the flyover collapse after it has complete with cars running through. Can I say this is a blessing in disguise?

↡ Advertisement

RIP to the poor worker.

Hope a proper and detail investigation will be conducted to find out what caused the collapsed and preventive checks will be make to other construction site or even completed project ( if necessary )

you still have faith in our investigations and finding....the outcome will be of the same template as previous other cases. 3rd parties companies will be found guilty of cutting corners and will be fined and sued. Wont say developer and main con squeezing the sub-con dry!
  • Praise 2

(edited)

in reference to this case

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/condo-owners-sue-for-32m-defendants-try-to-shift-blame

can only sue the bangla and ah tiong who work onsite

you still have faith in our investigations and finding....the outcome will be of the same template as previous other cases. 3rd parties companies will be found guilty of cutting corners and will be fined and sued. Wont say developer and main con squeezing the sub-con dry!

Edited by Wt_know

i am no expert in construction.

but i think this kind of accident, dun need compare construction from wat country.

china europe japan, all have history of accident in sg.

the first person to look at should be the site safety officer.??

now , dun tell me the overall safety incharge and material quality inspectior is not from our own sg gov department,??

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Can't imagine if the flyover collapse after it has complete with cars running through. Can I say this is a blessing in disguise?

Collapse during construction and collapse after completion are due to different reasons.. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Wtf made in China?

China now much better than us lah.

Contractor is OKP.

Or Kim Peow Construction.

100% Singapore company.

Supersonic

but i think this kind of accident, dun need compare construction from wat country.

now , dun tell me the overall safety incharge and material quality inspectior is not from our own sg gov department,??

Depends what's the root cause lor.

If it is design fault or substandard materials, what can the site safety officer do? He won't even know there is such an issue.

Think now all just sit office and wait for contractors to submit self check self declaration forms only.

Last year's floodings at Thomson MRT / Sin Ming was due to contractor diverting a drain without authorisation. A drain got diverted and nobody knew about it ?  [jawdrop]

Supercharged

Depends what's the root cause lor.

If it is design fault or substandard materials, what can the site safety officer do? He won't even know there is such an issue.

Should gantung the PE's license.

PE's fault.

China now much better than us lah.

Contractor is OKP.

Or Kim Peow Construction.

100% Singapore company.

OKP has been around awhile. I recall they did the CTE widening works around Toa Payoh many years back.

Not sure if this current one is under them or sub out one.

Supersonic

Should gantung the PE's license.

PE's fault.

Then what if it was the site not following the approved designs?

See, still must investigate to determine the root cause right? Otherwise might as well just execute everyone.

In normal case, Safety Officer / Manager and such would be called in for investigation for any safety lapse that might resulted in an accident, example no proper risk assessment, failure to cordon-off / barricade the area, improper use of PPE, etc.

BUT for case like this (collapse of formwork / structural component), with extensive damages made, it has more to do with QP / PE, Civil Engineer, Project Manager / Director, etc. as they are the professionals, who are responsible for the design, calculation and approval of work on site. Safety officer / manager is simply not the subject matter expert to be held responsible.

In fact, I would not be surprised even if personal from LTA are to be involved in the investigation, as they are the "owner" of such construction project, as can be seen from the Nicoll Highway accident back in 2004.

• Praise 8

Supersonic

RIP to the worker.

Initially I thought it was just the supporting pillar that collapse. But it's the whole stretch of road.

This is not the first time a flyover collapse during construction phase. The last I heard was the one on Jalan Eunos in the late 1970s.

But I really think something is really wrong with the construction industry these days. Standards dropped, accidents increasing and quality becomes worse.

Just look at the new HDB flats, Nicoll Highway circle line accident, JEM shopping center.

If the govt wants to cut costs to get the cheapest contract from the contractors, sacrificing construction and structure quality as a result, stop building more things by all means. I'm pretty worried about our high density structures will either collapse all together like dominoes or collapse into the ground due to too many underground structures.

We are probably heading to worse than Malaysia.

Wonder how long is this going to delay again.

Anyway, anyone knows if that stretch of slip road has opened to traffic yet?

I was refering to the million dollars ants

Haha...

I was about to say that the flyover is not made of wood.

• Praise 7

until and unless we have a new government, do we have a choice but to take the investigation report at face value ? 

But of course, if the report turns out to be template answer, than hopefully the majority will do the right thing when the time comes. 

(edited)

Can't find my post, but if memory serves (and mine usually serves me well), I remember making a post about a visiting Canadian safety officer from a big MNC who talked about how gahmen safety culture here was, to a large extent, wayang.

I remember being "suan"-ed by someone for that post.

Well.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement