Flyover collapses at Upper Changi, PIE

Showster

I think you mean lowest bidder gets the job.

meant to write lowest bidder gets the tender.

Not easy to type and sXXX while in the toilet.  :psychotic:

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

This things can happen in any country ... so why the exception of Singapore??? Accidents will happen more easily especially with space constraints (though Nicoll higway one was on ground level)

See the pictures below ; the overpass crash open up like a zipper.... scary Man.... anyway this happened in India..... again it can happen anywhere ... sometime back I remember even in Korea a bridge under construction collapsed too   

Just because it can happen anywhere doesn't mean we should allow it to happen here. 

As long as it is something preventable, we should put effort to prevent it from happening.

This things can happen in any country ... so why the exception of Singapore??? Accidents will happen more easily especially with space constraints (though Nicoll higway one was on ground level)

See the pictures below ; the overpass crash open up like a zipper.... scary Man.... anyway this happened in India..... again it can happen anywhere ... sometime back I remember even in Korea a bridge under construction collapsed too

Problem is some country have serious budgetary (mainly), technical, corruption issues, so it will happen as a matter of time because too many constraints are at play.

Technical and corruption issues are unlikely to be the issue here.

Singapore has money, but it seems the ideological hang up with cheaper cheaper cheaper can create unnecessary risk.

• Praise 4

Just because it can happen anywhere doesn't mean we should allow it to happen here.

As long as it is something preventable, we should put effort to prevent it from happening.

Accidents will and always happen ; yes (govt) as well as pte sector learns and learns and learns and still accidents will take a new form or dimension ; hopefully after the hotel new world disaster to Nicoll Highway ...... lots of grey areas still ..... construction industry is strangely as most know .... who can makan who up and makes the profit and last man in the chain will Kenna 'cos costing is a big issue as always and gestation period from initial quote to award also can affect the costing especially as most construction workers are foreigners and quota and changes in levy and even currency fluctuations in price of raw materials ..... just too many components to tackle .... to even things like work hours (due to our dense population) and last but not least the timing with respect to weather .....so along the way compromises happen here n there
  • Praise 2

in reference to this case

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/condo-owners-sue-for-32m-defendants-try-to-shift-blame

can only sue the bangla and ah tiong who work onsite

If I'm the MC committee who's doing the legal work, I'll only sue the main developer and the co-developer as they're the main party that the owners deal with to purchase the condo. The so call main contractor and sub-contractors are none of my concern since I'm not the one who engage them.

It's up to the main developer and co-developer to seek to recover the damage from their main contractor and sub-contractors.

Buildings are cladded with beautiful outer fittings. Once you peel them and take a look, you will see newspapers, drink cans, etc stuffed to fill gaps of the bricks/etc....

• Praise 1

(edited)

MC are going to the main developer because only main developer got moolah

however, based on simi law and regulations, main developer is "immune" from any liabilities

once they have sub-contract out ... peasants can only suck thumb!!!

If I'm the MC committee who's doing the legal work, I'll only sue the main developer and the co-developer as they're the main party that the owners deal with to purchase the condo. The so call main contractor and sub-contractors are none of my concern since I'm not the one who engage them.

It's up to the main developer and co-developer to seek to recover the damage from their main contractor and sub-contractors.

Edited by Wt_know

Twincharged

just went home passing by this stretch of road at around 9pm just now ... all is quiet and dark now.

Need Certificate of Supervison (COS) by PE before casting ...but most sites are just doing paper excercise...Risk Assessment, Tool box meeting and Permit To Work Form...all the same. I wont be surprised if PE issue COS without coming to site for inspection.

All just wayang...cos MOM themselves also wayang..

that's can be quite a concern if its true and you have evidence to proof what you said is true and not hypostatizing ....

that's can be quite a concern if its true and you have evidence to proof what you said is true and not hypostatizing ....

...and most construction site consists at least 95% foreign workers..that is pinoy, ah tiong, aneh, myannmar...only a few malaysians. I can only assume that culture of works ettique is a totaliy different

except the malaysian. That's why 15 or 20 years back we do not hear of such massive accident in construction. So to say who are those that let such incident happen without carefull planning except for the the sake of filling up the coffer and their high salary....enuf said

(edited)

that's can be quite a concern if its true and you have evidence to proof what you said is true and not hypostatizing ....

I am dealing with contractors daily,what I stated are what I am seeing on many sites. I have companies bosses telling me straight in my face that RA is just paper work.

If you have a chance to see their tool box meeting and you will know they write the same things everyday...no smoking, good housekeeping, wear PPE. Some just photocopy and fill in the date daily.

If you have a chance to see the PTW forms, you will realise most dont understand the purpose of the form and everything inside also ticked "Yes"

Even the safety training is not really effective. Most safety courses conducted in English and the course duration only a few days , many FW cannot even clear the language barrier and you expect them to understand the technical portions? But most still will pass. MOM emphasis on training and without the training certificates , even if the workers who have lot of experience are not allowed to perform the work. I have seen many locals uncles who operate cranes, excavators, forklifts for many yrs but now cannot enter the site and work because they cannot pass the CSOC cos they cannot read the test questions.

So many FW start to obtain fake certificates as there are syndicates selling them. SPF and MOM not putting in enough effort to stop this.

Over last few years, MOM closed about 30 safety training centres cos of malpractices, and many FT workers have their BCSS certifcates cancelled, cos they never attended the training or went thru the full course duration and still able to get the certificates. These grp of BCSS FW are holding safety supervisors appointment on site, so what safety standard can you expecr from them?

There are many more things I can give examples, but if you in construction and safety you will know.

Of course there are companies who really put in effort to ensure safety ,but many companies will need to tender low for survival, and usually safety is the area that is being compromised.

If I remember correct, for all tenders, in the breakdown of costing, there is no allocation for safety cost. Why MOM never do something to ensure safety cost must be part of the tender ? Even PUB make sure ECM costing must be part of the tender cost.

Edited by Koma7
  • Praise 3

PUB........... hmmmmm........ what competition?? (if any) .... they can charge an arm and a leg I guess ........ 

Same with SCV laying cables in the old days (nowadays I dont know if they still  have exclusivity in turning on/wiring  from the so called box outside the house) 

I am dealing with contractors daily,what I stated are what I am seeing on many sites. I have companies bosses telling me straight in my face that RA is just paper work.

If you have a chance to see their tool box meeting and you will know they write the same things everyday...no smoking, good housekeeping, wear PPE. Some just photocopy and fill in the date daily.

If you have a chance to see the PTW forms, you will realise most dont understand the purpose of the form and everything inside also ticked "Yes"

Even the safety training is not really effective. Most safety courses conducted in English and the course duration only a few days , many FW cannot even clear the language barrier and you expect them to understand the technical portions? But most still will pass. MOM emphasis on training and without the training certificates , even if the workers who have lot of experience are not allowed to perform the work. I have seen many locals uncles who operate cranes, excavators, forklifts for many yrs but now cannot enter the site and work because they cannot pass the CSOC cos they cannot read the test questions.

So many FW start to obtain fake certificates as there are syndicates selling them. SPF and MOM not putting in enough effort to stop this.

Over last few years, MOM closed about 30 safety training centres cos of malpractices, and many FT workers have their BCSS certifcates cancelled, cos they never attended the training or went thru the full course duration and still able to get the certificates. These grp of BCSS FW are holding safety supervisors appointment on site, so what safety standard can you expecr from them?

There are many more things I can give examples, but if you in construction and safety you will know.

Of course there are companies who really put in effort to ensure safety ,but many companies will need to tender low for survival, and usually safety is the area that is being compromised.

If I remember correct, for all tenders, in the breakdown of costing, there is no allocation for safety cost. Why MOM never do something to ensure safety cost must be part of the tender ? Even PUB make sure ECM costing must be part of the tender cost.

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

Problem is some country have serious budgetary (mainly), technical, corruption issues, so it will happen as a matter of time because too many constraints are at play.

Technical and corruption issues are unlikely to be the issue here.

Singapore has money, but it seems the ideological hang up with cheaper cheaper cheaper can create unnecessary risk.

Later someone complain why pay more expensive for goods or services then they get more busy having to explain the rationale..

I remember last time we had BMW and Volvo for TP car and it drew so much questions from the public for not being prudent with public funds

• Praise 1

Saw the water barriers by the side with OKP logo. :want:

"Or Kim Peow" is a big local contractor and 75% of SG road expansion done by them.

So not China contractor.

Yes local contractor.

But scary thing is similar result to China one.

Anyone still remember the sunshade in Tampines that gave way and dropped down ?

Looks like business as usual and everyone forgets.

That one is material wear & tear.

Only made worse by missing rebar.

Main fault is weather lah.

Hmm......

↡ Advertisement