Road Trip to Phuket 2017

Adrianli

Good one.....im planning either this December or next year June driving trip to Phuket.

December, its their tourist peak season. Should be more crowded in Phuket. Their peak season is Nov to Mar.

Go for it, let me know if you need any info. I used mainly Waze for my navigation in Thailand.

Here is my total fuel consumption and mileage clocked. 2,800+ km in total.

06/7/17 - 633.4km 55.20L = RM120.89

07/7/17 - 288.1km 35.12L = RM76.91

09/7/17 - 617.0km 63.82L = 1,929.90Baht

11/7/17 - 535.6km 50.54L = RM110.68

12/7/17 - 584.3km 57.80L = RM126.58

12/7/17 - 217.9km 22.04L = RM48.26

What SIM card you use in Thailand?

I didnt buy any sim card. I am using Singtel's Ready Roam, 1gb for 30 days at $12. It allows multiple countries roaming.

Cheap cheap.

I only used up 300+mb with Waze and many many whatsapp + whatsapp call.

My fren was using M1 roaming, need to activate for each country. I think it was $12 for each country but unlimited data.

So I prefer Singtel for its multiple countries roaming at 1 single price.

• Praise 2

Thx for sharing

I did asked you to convoy along. Hope you plan one on your own. Go for it. It is really fun if you are into long roadtrips.

My this trip, not too taxing. Mostly driving during daylight hours only.

Turbocharged

December, its their tourist peak season. Should be more crowded in Phuket. Their peak season is Nov to Mar.

Go for it, let me know if you need any info. I used mainly Waze for my navigation in Thailand.

most likely next year June school holidays

i drove to Penang last month. oh...really fun.

im only concerned on the Bukit Kayu hitam/Sadao Immigration clearance.

Worried long queue. BTW, i will be the only driver 

Turbocharged
(edited)

What SIM card you use in Thailand?

For those who travel frequently to

Australia

China

Hongkong

Indonesia

Japan

Malaysia

N.Z

Philippines

S.korea

Taiwan

Thailand

UK

USA

Buy a Starhub standard prepaid (hi-card) card S$18

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/prepaid-cards/happy-roam.html

very worth it .... can use it for 12 countries 

3-Day - 1GB $5
7-Day - 1GB $7
30-Day  - 1.2GB $10
30-Day - 2.4GB $15
30-Day - 3.6GB $20

and the prices is much cheaper than Singtel

Edited by Mcf777
  • Praise 3

7th Jul
Had early breakfast at the hotel buffet at 7.30am. By 8am, we are on the road up north. This part up north, the NSH is really flat and usually flanked at both sides by padi fields as far as the eye can see. Very welcoming sight. However the weather was gloomy with drizzles some part of the way so didnt travel too fast. I was aiming for the last petrol station, Caltex to pump full tank before entry into Thailand. However it was closed, therefore I had to make a u-turn and went to Shell at the opposite side.

Clearing MY immigration and customs was a breeze. The same way between SG and MY. Then we stopped at the duty-free shopping mall to get our 3rd party Thai insurance. It was all quiet there. Little did we know, trouble is waiting for us up ahead.

As we drove to Sadao border crossing, we could see many cars parked at the side of the road. I thought there was a carpark on the left just before Sadao immigration and custom. I was totally wrong and had to make a u-turn back to the place where there were cars parking. Looking at the queue for clearing of passport, we knew it will be a long wait. Furthermore, there was no lot for us to park the car so we had to double park. I wait in the car and my fren went to do his passport clearance. Car lots behind me swop spots as they left but the lots near me was like parked there permanently and I was unable to reverse into those lots as they were other cars double park behind me too. It took my fren 1hr of queueing to clear his passport. Then he came back to the car and I went to do my passport clearance. The queue was super chaotic. There were queues merging each other and sometimes its one person queueing, then suddenly 3-4 ppl join that person. It took me 45mins to get my passport stamped together with the passenger manifest form stamped, two copies. One they keep and one I keep. Then I proceeded to Counter 3 for my car clearance form. This queue was shorter, 5 ppl in front of me and two counters open. Later we learnt that it was a super long weekend therefore lots of Malaysians and Thais going into Thailand. Total time spent at Sadao Border Crossing was 3 freaking hours!!! 9.45am reached, only left at 12.45pm Malaysia time. The plus point was Thailand is -1 hr of Malaysia so it was 11.45am when we exited the border. Can you imagine, spending 3 hours there. Here is a photo and video of the queue and driving into Sadao, Thailand.

We are finally into Thailand and drove non-stop till Phatthalung where we stopped for lunch and change of driver. As usual, we stopped at a roadside stall and the pork noodle was so good. Maybe we were too hungry due to the queueing at Sadao Checkpoint. My fren drove all the way to our destination, Baan Laimai Resort at Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand.

Here is a video of us entering Phuket island

We drove to our hotel, Baan Laimai Resort which was in Patong Beach. Roads were busy with traffic when we arrived Patong Beach around 7pm Thai time. There was underground parking with 24/7 security guard at the resort premises. Photos of the resort. 

Our first meal in Phuket was dinner and we chose to eat thai seafood at OTOP which was walking distance from our resort. We chose a fish, kim ba lor and a few other dishes. The fish was fresh and tasted good. The meal came up to about S$50. Relatively cheap by our standards. After that, we walked the streets and went to a open bar for drinking. As we were drinking, the bartender informed us of alcohor ban for the next two days due to some buddhist holiday. The frenly bartender also told us about a big buddha statue in Phuket and we should visit it. By the time, we finished drinking and head back the resort, its 1am. And damn, the room is so warm. The aircon compressor broke down. We had to call the reception and two technicians came to attend to us. They managed to re-start the compressor and the room is cold again. Every room is equipped with individual aircon compressor. I think we hit the bed at close to 3am after the drama.

Wow!  Shiok man!

What a nice trip report. 

Thanks for sharing! [thumbsup]

Here is a video of us driving into Patong beach in Phuket and into the resort's carpark. Near the resort, we went inside the small lane but the road was blocked in the middle so had to re-route and enter from the beach strip.

I tried to time lapse the videos, but dont know why youtube allowed for some videos and do not allowed for others. Also got copyright issues with the songs. I gave up and just combine all together. So just turn off the volume and enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8aBlK-odQ

Turbocharged

How long validity ? Or every time need to buy a new card ?

When u bought the card, it is valid for 6months.

Before the expiry date, extend it for 90days, S$1.40 

Or you can top-up another S$20 using credit card (thru the starhub app), it will be another 6 months validity

Can go Malaysia/Indo anytime, dont need to worry about data.

Hypersonic

wah nice long road trip

my wife would never agree to me going on such a trip

she would either look at me queerly or suspiciously

:D

Hypersonic

She doesn't trust you ?

i mean ...not all wives can accept their husbands going on a long road trip to Thailand with another guy esp if both are sleeping in the same room

thailand and same room are big no nos for my wife

U deserve thread of the month for this man. Awesome write up

Thank you. It was actually a continuation of my previous road trip to Phuket thread but Mod split it into a new thread.

i mean ...not all wives can accept their husbands going on a long road trip to Thailand with another guy esp if both are sleeping in the same room

thailand and same room are big no nos for my wife

Why same room worse then separate room?

wah nice long road trip

my wife would never agree to me going on such a trip

she would either look at me queerly or suspiciously

Then just tell ur wife you going on business trip. :XD: