Road Trip to Phuket 2017

Adrianli

Fwah... NICE! So detailed. How I was I can go for such a trip?

Were you using the Mavis Pro? No issue using it? 

Yup, I was flying my DJI Mavic Pro. No issues at all. Just have to look out for safety. 

I was not the only one with a drone there at Patong beach. While we were swimming at the beach, saw another person launched his DJI Phantom, not sure which series cos we were further away. But was sure it was a Phantom from the distinctive shape and white colour.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

My fren and I decided to re-visit Phuket again on a roadtrip together just like what we had done before, exactly 10 years ago!!! So after much planning and decided on the dates, we proceeded as planned. This time is will be a longer trip at a much relaxing pace, probably age has caught up with us. So it will be a SG-Butterworth-Phuket-Hatyai-KL-SG road trip. We decided to drive my Audi A6 Avant for the trip. Had consulted PA and they said no problem with Thai fuel Gashol95.

6th Jul 
6am, I picked up my fren at his house and we proceeded to Woodlands causeway. It was a breeze thru, zero traffic. Not long later, we are on NSH travelling up north to our first destination, Butterworth. We stopped at Pagoh R&R for breakfast and pee break and its back on the road. At Sungei Perak, its time to refuel my car and we stopped at the rest stop. Also we swapped driver, I took a break and my fren will drive. As we were talking in the car, my fren said he did not travelled to Penang on the ferry before. So I said let's go there if we are early at Butterworth. Within a blink of the eye, we reached Penang ferry terminal, Butterworth at 1pm. So we decided to take the ferry over for lunch in Georgetown. The ferry just left when we arrived so we had to wait for the next ferry which was 30mins of waiting. The ferry arrived and we drove into the ferry and soon we are in Georgetown. We had Sister's char kway tiao for lunch, walked along Macallister Street, bought tau sar pia and then drove back to the ferry terminal to take the ferry back to Butterworth where our hotel was at. Both of us couldnt believe that we took the ferry to Penang just for a plate of char kway tiao!!! It was a long queue at the ferry terminal back to Butterworth too.

When we reached Butterworth, we drove to the hotel, Sunway Hotel and checked in. Nice modern and looks to be a business hotel. Not bad for a night's stay.

6pm, we went for dinner at Pantai Bersih. Its a located at the sea side just north of the ferry terminal and overlooks Penang. There were many restaurants there. We did a google search and found that Ah Chong Seafood Restaurant was the original one. So we patronised it. We ordered Spicy crab, kang kong and lala. 

I set up my drone, DJI Mavic Pro and took some aerial photo and video of the place.

We were lucky that night, the beer lady told us that the night market along the road was opened and we went to get supper there. The fried chempedak was nice. After that we back back to the hotel where there is a shopping mall next to the hotel. The shopping mall was huge with the usual shops.

Good write-up! The furthest I've driven was to Penang, though I crossed Penang Strait via bridge. How much did it cost round-trip for your car to be transported by the ferry? I hope to have a driveaway holiday to Phuket with my family when my kids are older, though I doubt my wife will be as enthusiastic, and your itinerary is a good guide if the trip materializes :)

• Praise 1

Good write-up! The furthest I've driven was to Penang, though I crossed Penang Strait via bridge. How much did it cost round-trip for your car to be transported by the ferry? I hope to have a driveaway holiday to Phuket with my family when my kids are older, though I doubt my wife will be as enthusiastic, and your itinerary is a good guide if the trip materializes :)

It cost RM7.70 for the ferry ticket at Butterworth. The return is free.

• Praise 1

I did asked you to convoy along. Hope you plan one on your own. Go for it. It is really fun if you are into long roadtrips.

My this trip, not too taxing. Mostly driving during daylight hours only.

ya always wanted to do it

Thanx for the nice and informative trip review. This coming National day i am going Phuket too. Will be flying in and renting car to zoom around...

Thanx for the nice and informative trip review. This coming National day i am going Phuket too. Will be flying in and renting car to zoom around...

With a car, you can visit quite a few places on your own. Do try to visit the Big Buddha. The views from up there is breathtaking.

Enjoy your trip in Phuket.

Great trip. I have been to Bangkok, not on a road trip but had really great fun. I'm planning to go to phuket for some road trip as well along with my friend from DSRLeasing.

• Dislike 1

Turbocharged

Bro "@Adrianli" 

Do u know if i drive to the Thai Border thru Betong Checkpoint and out from Sadok Checkpoint, anything i need to take note or tell the immigration staff?

Thks

Turbocharged

Bro "@Adrianli" 

Do u know if i drive to the Thai Border thru Betong Checkpoint and out from Sadok Checkpoint, anything i need to take note or tell the immigration staff?

Thks

on one trip, I entered thai via Padang Besar and exited at Sadao. No issue. No special procedure.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

on one trip, I entered thai via Padang Besar and exited at Sadao. No issue. No special procedure.

You going long trip using your Forested XT?

How does it doing on the high speed drive?

How about power petrol grade in Thailand?

Turbocharged

You going long trip using your Forested XT?

How does it doing on the high speed drive?

How about power petrol grade in Thailand?

I've gone to thai in both my Forester XT and current LGT.

FXT suffers bad FC at high speed due to aerodynamics and 4spd gearbox.

petrol grade (91/95/E20) in thai no issue if tuned according.

Bro "@Adrianli" 

Thks

Sorry, I cant help. Never tried it before. But @Johnshl has provided the answer. I believe he visits Thailand by road very regularly.

• Praise 1

super write up !!! 

For the alcohol ban, its still on ?!?!? shucks ....... 

No more. It was a two days only for their buddhist holiday.

Great writeup and photos of the trip!

also can see you like to eat pork noodles a lot :D

Indeed I do like their mixed pork noodles. But I prefer their wanton noodle more. Did not eat it during this trip thou.

Looks like a cool road trip to take.

Good writeup

All the best

This is the kind of thread that makes this forum that much more special. Thanks for taking the time to document and share your awesome trip with us.

↡ Advertisement