Opel Insignia 2017

therock

New model, new fortunes?

http://www.------.com/news/10767/all-new-opel-insignia-grand-sport-coming-in-q3-2017

maxresdefault.jpg

opel_insignia_front.jpg

TTvmiv9V.jpg

vauxhall-insignia-news-web2016-1416.jpg?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-vauxhall-insignia-grand-sport-officially-revealed

Spoke to the local dealer recently. They will have it in SG and on the road by year end... doing the tests now..

The local version will come with the 1.5 turbo petrol..

Having sat in the Vectra back in the old army days and after, I am looking forward to seeing a mid sized Opel.

If they can sort out the QC and service, this will be an interesting car..

Although the dealer could not firm up a price, they did say it will be priced at the Camry range. I am guessing that means it will be in the 13x k range..

Look out CLA, 3 series and also Accord and Camry! Like the Astra, it's a lower cost alternative for those willing to try out a different car, with a conti feel and lots of features, but at a lower price range than the traditional big three German brands.

And this car will be made in Germany too..

PS: not a dealer 

The new Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport hatchback is on display at the Geneva motor show, and reveals Vauxhall's plan to steal sales from executive saloons such as the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

The Insignia Grand Sport is a new name for this second-generation Insignia, which is scheduled for UK deliveries in June. The new range will be crowned by a 247bhp turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol version with all-wheel drive.

The five-seat, five-door Insignia Grand Sport is based on an all-new and modular General Motors platform called Epsilon 2 (or E2 for short) that allows the car to be up to 175kg lighter than the model it replaces, despite a marginal increase in size. The base model weighs around 1400kg.

The Insignia Grand Sport also brings with it a new look, inspired by the well-received Monza concept carof 2013, which will be ushered in across the rest of the Vauxhall range in due course.

vauxhall-insignia-news-web2016-1419.jpg

It’s this new look, reduced weight and a higher-quality and more spacious interior with boosted connectivity and infotainment options that, Vauxhall hopes, will make the car a credible alternative in the eyes of buyers who might otherwise go for a 3 SeriesC-Class or Audi A4, as well as traditional rivals such as the Ford Mondeo and Skoda Superb. Vauxhall also hopes these same attributes will allow the car to have the same impact as the bold original, which went on sale in 2008.

The interior has been made more spacious than the original Insignia’s, with rear interior space to match that of an Audi A6 or Volvo V90. The new Insignia has connectivity options including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone mirroring, a wi-fi hotspot to connect up to seven devices, wireless charging for smartphones and an enhanced version of Vauxhall’s OnStar assistance service.

The perceived quality of the materials inside is now better, including on the new dashboard layout, which Vauxhall saw as a key area to improve the car. The driving position has been lowered by 30mm and the front seats can be had with functions including massages. The outer two rear seats can also be equipped with heaters. 

vauxhall-insignia-news-web2016-1416.jpg

The engine range is made up exclusively of turbocharged four-cylinder units and is crowned by a 247bhp 2.0-litre engine. This unit is hooked up to a new eight-speed automatic gearbox and an all-wheel drive system that features GKN drivetrain technology similar to that on the Ford Focus RS. It includes torque vectoring for the first time on a Vauxhall.

The only new engine in the range is a 1.5-litre petrol unit, which has outputs of 163bhp and 184lb ft, and it drives through a six-speed manual gearbox. This new engine is a development of the 1.4-litre turbo found in the Astra and it has been created to ensure that the Insignia Grand Sport is given the right-sized engine to power a car of its size and weight and therefore improve the real-world economy figure.

There are also 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre diesels in the line-up, outputs of which will all be upwards of 110bhp and will be confirmed alongside the performance and CO2 figures of the rest of the engine range closer to the spring launch. The Insignia Grand Sport is front-wheel drive as standard.

A VXR model is unlikely to appear in the Insignia range this time around. Performance diesels, a cooking GSI-style model and the Q-car-like 247bhp all-wheel drive petrol model are all understood to be preferred by company bosses than an all-out sports saloon.

As part of the overall weight reduction, the body-in-white has been made 59kg lighter than the current model’s. Meanwhile, the car’s length has been increased by 55mm to 4897mm, which makes it closer in size to the BMW 5 Series than the 3 Series.

vauxhall-insignia-news-web2016-1421.jpg

The wheelbase has had a significant 92mm increase to 2829mm to help boost cabin space, but the front and rear overhangs have been reduced to improve the car’s stance.

There’s a marginal 7mm increase in width to 1863mm and the tracks are up 11mm to 1596mm at the front and 1599mm at the rear. The car’s height has been reduced by 29mm, but head room has improved as a result of lower seating positions.

The suspension features MacPherson struts at the front and a five-link set-up at the rear, with adaptive dampers an option. The adaptive FlexRide chassis function allows the driver to switch between Standard, Sport and Tour modes. These alter the stiffness of the suspension, the throttle response and the steering and allow for less intrusion from the ESP system, depending on the mode.

A whole host of driver assistance systems are also offered on the new Insignia Grand Sport, including a head-up display, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping and lane departure warning systems and a rear cross-traffic alert that lets you know if you’re about to reverse into oncoming traffic when leaving a parking space. Vauxhall’s adaptive IntelliLux LED matrix lights are also offered, with twice as many LEDs as on the Astra.

This five-door hatchback version will arrive first, with an estate and rugged Cross Tourer model following in due course to complete the range. Prices for the hatchback are set to remain broadly unchanged from today’s Insignia range, with an entry-level price of about £18,000. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Turbocharged

I am curious if there's any difference in build quality between the Buick Regal and the Opel/Vauxhall Insignias... Buick is pitched as a lower luxury brand as opposed to Opel's mainstream reputation...

• Praise 1

I think most people wouldn't consider Opening as a competitor to the German Big 3.... Insignia competitors are the Mondeo, Passat, 6,Camry, Accord, Optima, Sonata etc

I have been reading reviews about the Insignia, not that great

• Praise 2

I am curious if there's any difference in build quality between the Buick Regal and the Opel/Vauxhall Insignias... Buick is pitched as a lower luxury brand as opposed to Opel's mainstream reputation...

For previous generation of Insignias when they were under General Motors, even Saab 95 shared many similarities. So i believe it was more of branding than build quality.

In UK Opel makes fleet cars that sell because of price.

Given that, it may pull buyers who had previously considered other budget mid-sized sedans, and instead of buying the Korean / US offerings, they may be tempted to try a German made one.

Especially since it's a big car, and may even tempt those who wanted the Audi A3 or VW Passat.

In price sensitive Singapore, if the local dealer offers a competitive price, there may still be takers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ida3yGSrIak

• Praise 1

Given that, it may pull buyers who had previously considered other budget mid-sized sedans, and instead of buying the Korean / US offerings, they may be tempted to try a German made one.

Especially since it's a big car, and may even tempt those who wanted the Audi A3 or VW Passat.

In price sensitive Singapore, if the local dealer offers a competitive price, there may still be takers.

• Praise 2

Went to test drive the insignia early this year when they were clearing their last few remaining cars at a great discount 120+k. The salesman said they were expecting the new model around June and that pricing would probably be around 140k. At that price I think there would be takers, cos it's a beautiful car. It seems to be much roomier than the previous model as well, which was the main reason I didn't consider the clearance stock.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

For previous generation of Insignias when they were under General Motors, even Saab 95 shared many similarities. So i believe it was more of branding than build quality.

The new Regal GS and Regal Sportback are basically this new Insignia wholesale, but as I mentioned Buick is apparently "luxury cars", which is why I kinda wonder if they're just a little different in interior qualities. 

But then again, the Opels might actually still have the smaller manufacturing output due to the difference in market sizes; the Buick Regal is likely to be sent to do money printing in China...

• Praise 2

In order to be competitive, it has to be priced between SGD125 - 130k.

1.5l only.

I doubt it'll be that low unless coe starts moving down to around 40k.

Who knows.. after the Harrier surge, VES kicks in, maybe it drops enough for them to market it at a pinch below the Korean K5 and i40 or it's equivalent.. 

Opel SG needs to make sure it's workshop can cope and that the QC is good.

Who knows.. after the Harrier surge, VES kicks in, maybe it drops enough for them to market it at a pinch below the Korean K5 and i40 or it's equivalent..

Opel SG needs to make sure it's workshop can cope and that the QC is good.

Hmm. I might just be first in line then.

Hmm, the lowest ouput of the 1.5t is 138hp, just missed Cat A...

Car is heavy and long....138 may feel asthmatic haha...but maybe the 8 speed auto can do something abt it

Edited by Johnny86

Supersonic

Hmm, the lowest ouput of the 1.5t is 138hp, just missed Cat A...

It's never meant to be a CAT A car.
↡ Advertisement