Manual gear cannot engage

Philipkee

A few months ago I got this manual accent. No issues with it except for this. Occasionally I cannot engage the first gear or the reverse gear from neutral gear. This happens when my car is stationary.

So far no major issue with this except late moving off from traffic light or a bit delayed in reverse parking. I checked with the AD during my 1000 km and 5000 km check and they say nothing wrong and maybe it's how I stepped on my clutch.

The thing is, this failure to engage still happens once in a while and in my car park i ever tried to replicate this by changing gear with my clutch not fully depressed half depressed and so on but not able to replicate the failure to engage. So I don't know if it's my fault or there is something wrong with transmission fluid or so on....

So I wondering if anyone ever faced this before and what was the cause. AD say nothing wrong with gear box. I ever thought of going to an external workshop if it happens again but I worry I kenna chopped carrot.

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

I had it sometimes, mainly for 1st and reverse too. I normally release and engage the clutch again as remedy and normally will not take more than a couple of tries. I wasn't too worried as my 2 to 5 is still very smooth. 1st and reverse is the hardest to engage. 

Not sure of the cause. Might be the clutch (was on racing clutch) or the cogs as i normally pa reverse when the car is moving. i know it's not good for the gears but it's just cooler. lol.

If your gb is okay, have the mechanic to check on the clutch or the master cylinder. if it's a master cylinder, the clutch pedal will feel spongy, its quite hard to miss. I would say just continue to monitor the situation, if it gets worse, have someone to do a thorough check.  

• Praise 2

A few months ago I got this manual accent. No issues with it except for this. Occasionally I cannot engage the first gear or the reverse gear from neutral gear. This happens when my car is stationary.

So far no major issue with this except late moving off from traffic light or a bit delayed in reverse parking. I checked with the AD during my 1000 km and 5000 km check and they say nothing wrong and maybe it's how I stepped on my clutch.

The thing is, this failure to engage still happens once in a while and in my car park i ever tried to replicate this by changing gear with my clutch not fully depressed half depressed and so on but not able to replicate the failure to engage. So I don't know if it's my fault or there is something wrong with transmission fluid or so on....

So I wondering if anyone ever faced this before and what was the cause. AD say nothing wrong with gear box. I ever thought of going to an external workshop if it happens again but I worry I kenna chopped carrot.

not sure yours is clutch pump or the old type clutch cable.

my lorry if got this issue, normally is clutch pump fail or leaking,

or clutch fluid too low.

if the old type run by clutch cable , then just replace cable.

if on and off got the problem, then could be just your habit, never step the clutch fully before engaging.

Edited by Beregond

If it happens again, pump the clutch a few times first. Then see if the gear can engage.

There may be air bubbles in the hydraulic clutch line or a leak which lets air bubble in.

• Praise 1

(edited)

is your reverse gear on the left of 1st gear ? ie. you have to pull up then can go into reverse ?

Yes. So it is

R 1 3 5

X 2 4 6

Ignore the x cos when I posted it without the X the 2 appears under R.

Edited by Philipkee

Yes. So it is

R 1 3 5

X 2 4 6

Ignore the x cos when I posted it without the X the 2 appears under R.

it could be the spring not fully released . there is a "catch" between "r" and "1st" , the spring is to push the "catch" back after u pull up shift to "r" .... as such if the spring doesn't "spring" back fully the "catch" will be caught in the middle of the ( i don't what that thing its call , its just a "wall" between the "r" n "1st" ) . i hope you can understand what i am trying to say. if not just un-screw the gear knob and remove the "shift boot" and u will understand.

my gear box is also design like this with "r" on the left of "1st" . i changed my own shift boot so i open it up and seen it . becareful don't lose the spring when u un-screw the knob

• Praise 3

check the slave and master clutch pump. unlikely is the clutch disc worn out. been driving manual cars 10 over years. this is sign of failng clutch pump.

Edited by StreamRSZ
  • Praise 2

For the last Accent model (year of manufacture ending 2016), many had (forgetfully) tried to engage reverse gear by first pulling up the gear latch, then moving the gear stick backward (toward the driver), instead of pushing the gear stick forward.

The gear box needs to service. I think if not wrong , will be the synchromesh. Just google to fing out more. This synchromesh is to align the cogs to enable free entry. (No pun intended)

Its the syncro problem.

Only forward gear have syncros.. reverse gear have no syncros.

So typically it is normal that to shift into reverse, sometimes cannot engage, even in new cars.

But if you encounter the same meshing problem when going into forward gear, then usually it meant syncros are bad already.

But you can go the first cheaper method by changing the gear box oil first because it is so cheap, most people didn't do this step first.

Changing to fresh oil may reduce syncros issue a little.

If still same, then need to service gear box.

But the fortunate side of us driving manual gear box is, especially Korean or Japanese model is that GB service is very very cheap.

I have a similar issue with my Corolla '89, but it doesn't happen that often or I don't really notice it. Regardless of what causes the problem, I usually put in a different gear and then try the first or reverse or whatever I'm trying to use. This usually fixes it for me. Rarely the gear really doesn't want to engage, so then I apply slight pressure on the stick towards the gear that is refusing to engage and I slightly and slowly release the clutch and then the gear goes in place without much effort.

• Praise 1

sometimes i have difficulty engaging the first, second and reverse gear. does it mean the synchromesh is faulty?

check your master clutch and slave cylinder pump first. it could be these 2 faulty. Usually the cause is leakage due to wear and tear of the seals or also sludge deposit built up causing the oil fluid jam hence unable to engage.

Supercharged

Philipkee

you still having this issue?

your gear setup is the same as mine.

in order to engage, if you are running on E cable, at least must ensure you engage half.

the conventional type is to full engage.

your ride is still too early for clutch replacement, slip, e cable replacement.

i probably will say its your driving habits.

occasionally, i also has this issue.

slip or didn't engage, it's all because i didn't engage the clutch.

fret not, manual are very lasting..

↡ Advertisement