Round the world trip

Philipkee

SG-Tokyo-LA-Houston-New York-Germany-SG considered round the world or not?

It's definitely one round

Just not so sure how much of the world you got to see.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I have been to Philippines many times but never saw much of it.

Airport hotel office never even got to go to Airforce One before it closed down.

I have been to Cebu but never saw the beach and even been to Ilo Ilo like the movie

but only saw the airport, meeting room and hotel room and they all look the same.

Edited by Jamesc

TS, how about a trans continent drive trip? Singapore - London or vice versa.

No need round the world, half the world ok? :)

Edited by TameDriver
  • Praise 1

Good idea.

Don't even need a powerful car 3 cylinder 999cc car can

go from India to Paris.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

Good idea.

Don't even need a powerful car 3 cylinder 999cc car can

go from India to Paris.

Interesting. It went to Myanmar & China before swinging westwards.

• Praise 1

I have been to Philippines many times but never saw much of it.

Airport hotel office never even got to go to Airforce One before it closed down.

I have been to Cebu but never saw the beach and even been to Ilo Ilo like the movie

but only saw the airport, meeting room and hotel room and they all look the same.

Did u see a lot of the hotel ceiling?...
  • Praise 1

Anyway just for some humor for those of you thinking on taking the train, this is what you get in first (pretty comfy considering it was just me),

post-78681-0-72428900-1509371960_thumb.jpg

Most of the time what you be doing is....................Drinking Beer, 2nd class is more happening you get to meet fun people and drink Vodka woohoo. Those bunks are 4 to the room though so during moments of privacy well there's none  [laugh] Also toilet is a challenge.

post-78681-0-06541100-1509371989_thumb.jpg

Memorable moments include

1. Boarding the train to find a chinese conductor who officiated me his translator since all the other passengers in that carriage were amdk

2. Rowdy vodka party from 2nd class trying to break into 1st class, much to our disappointment the conductor chased them back to where they came from

3. My amdk train mate buying coke somewhere in Siberia and finding out it was expired 1.5 years ago

4. After 3 days of drinking crap Russian beer during a stop a train mate running down the platform (again somewhere in Siberia) screaming that he found Heineken being sold (OMG we cleared the shop)

5.. Same amdk train mate being proposition by a scandinavia gal for a ons in his cabin (he didn't take the offer and I didn't get it KNN)

Had loads of other experiences on the other routes so moral is if you want an travel experience don't take the plane  :D

• Praise 9

Has anyone ever been on a round the world trip? Been dreaming of one since 2004. As I get older I think to myself my life is half over....

Have been thinking of this for many years, the issue is not the money but the time

to do it properly would mean being away for 1 year at least, which is not feasible when kids are still studying

come back they probably pregnant or hanging out at Far East Plaza/Centrepoint everyday (or what ever the Millennials version is, haha)

by the time kids are old enough,maybe time when parents need lots of medical attention. When both kids and parents settled, you will be so much older - such a conundrum

But go ahead and YOLO for at least 1 month if you can. I have done the Eurorail thingy in my school days, trapising around Europe

Started from London, down to France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Czech, Hungary,  Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium

Slept on the train, at train stations, B&B, Pesione, Grand Hotels, Hostels

That was some trip, and i never forgot it. So i strongly recommend you to go for something like this

Mercury is right - flying around to many countries not the same feeling. Take the train

I think rather than 1 world trip, you can do a long Europe trip. Another to cross the USA. And another in Central Asia - China, Russia, all the "Stans" and India.

That would be 3 grand trips to remember for a life

(to complete the globe would mean a South america sector, a Middle east cum Africa sector - but with the security issues, maybe not the best idea currently)

Edited by Aventador
  • Praise 7

Did u see a lot of the hotel ceiling?...

This Philippines trip was 5 cities in 5 days. Up at 6 and straight to airport.

Have breakfast while waiting to board. Check in hotel only after a long dinner.

Hit the pillow and I am out. Put me in a haunted room and I would not have

Seen or heard anything. Other trips yes I do see the see the ceiling a lot.

Some rooms I notice there is an arrow and after finding out what it means

I always know which direction Mecca is. That's how bored I get.

In Korea I was so bored my hotel got no HBO and EPL I started watching K drama

and then found out they had free adult educational videos and left the TV on all night

to see what time they stop showing. It was 24 hours and so no more staring at the ceiling

for me after that.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread cos this is the year I wanna go for the trip. My current contract is expiring in Oct with every chance of it being renewed.

I plan to take leave and no pay leave from July to Sept and then return to renew contract. If management does not allow, then I will take leave in Oct and travel both in Oct and Nov (so I will technically be unemployed in nov) and restart contract in Dec.

Of cos there is the risk of no more job but YOLO.

Wanna ask one question. For those of you who have cars, how do you ensure the battery does not drain during the trip (estimated two months )? I was thinking of buying a new battery just prior to my trip as my car will be about 1.5 years old then. Getting someone to drive around on my behalf is not possible cos no one in my family can handle manual cars (they have the licence but forgot how those of drive a manual car).

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread cos this is the year I wanna go for the trip. My current contract is expiring in Oct with every chance of it being renewed.

I plan to take leave and no pay leave from July to Sept and then return to renew contract. If management does not allow, then I will take leave in Oct and travel both in Oct and Nov (so I will technically be unemployed in nov) and restart contract in Dec.

Wanna ask one question. For those of you who have cars, how do you ensure the battery does not drain during the trip (estimated two months )? I was thinking of buying a new battery just prior to my trip as my car will be about 1.5 years old then. Getting someone to drive around on my behalf is not possible cos no one in my family can handle manual cars (they have the licence but forgot how those of drive a manual car).

u just need someone to start the engine and leave the engine running a while, that will recharge the battery bah. no real need to drive.

my BIL does it for my FIL when he goes on holiday.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

post-25667-0-46885900-1517983510.png

• Praise 2

Ok. My dates are more or less firmed up. Once my human resource gives go ahead, I will buy my first ticket to Seoul.

Timeline plan is

March - buy ticket to Seoul

April - get all the visas and reservations until Paris. The rest I will make as I go along.

May - reserve month just in case

End June - trip starts

• Praise 7

Supersonic

Ok. My dates are more or less firmed up. Once my human resource gives go ahead, I will buy my first ticket to Seoul.

Timeline plan is

April - get all the visas and reservations until Paris. The rest I will make as I go along.

End June - trip starts

shiok! enjoy the trip, and do update us here

Supersonic

Hi all,

Just buy your new battery when you get back home la.

Timeline plan is

End June - trip starts

Think you won't need Visa for Seoul and Paris.

Just buy your new battery when you get back home la.

Think you won't need Visa for Seoul and Paris.

Juz remove the battery & leave it at home.

Juz remove the battery & leave it at home.

Save the $ for a new battery and get a battery charger instead. Removed the car battery and get family members to charged it during the period away

As of today

Leave has been approved

Ticket to Seoul - not yet buy

Ferry from Seoul to China - reserved and paid for already. Ferry departs 22 June

Trans siberian - tickets reserved and paid for already.

I will travel from Beijing to irkustk with a few days top over, then irkustk to Moscow for another few days then off to Paris. All tickets already reserved and paid for.

I have made appointment to get my visas for Russia and Belarus (next week) and will probably buy air tickets around then.

So yeah the plan is coming to fruition. Oh actually I planned to take the trans siberian as one long trip from Beijing to Moscow but I was advised since I have some time to break the trip at least into two as there are no showers on the train. And it will be very boring and wasted to just stay in the train for six over days.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4