Round the world trip

Philipkee

Wanna ask one question. For those of you who have cars, how do you ensure the battery does not drain during the trip (estimated two months )? I was thinking of buying a new battery just prior to my trip as my car will be about 1.5 years old then. Getting someone to drive around on my behalf is not possible cos no one in my family can handle manual cars (they have the licence but forgot how those of drive a manual car).

Your battery is not going to drain off so quickly. I am sure your family member knows how to start the engine and let it run idle for half an hours per week if you want to be sure. 2 months only 8 weeks, battery should still be OK when you are back.  [;)]

↡ Advertisement

Food on the train is quite pricey, before you go on it please get a large bottle of mineral water (those 5 litre types) and maybe a salami/bread/cheese etc

As of today

Leave has been approved
Ticket to Seoul - not yet buy
Ferry from Seoul to China - reserved and paid for already. Ferry departs 22 June

Trans siberian - tickets reserved and paid for already.

I will travel from Beijing to irkustk with a few days top over, then irkustk to Moscow for another few days then off to Paris. All tickets already reserved and paid for.

I have made appointment to get my visas for Russia and Belarus (next week) and will probably buy air tickets around then.

So yeah the plan is coming to fruition. Oh actually I planned to take the trans siberian as one long trip from Beijing to Moscow but I was advised since I have some time to break the trip at least into two as there are no showers on the train. And it will be very boring and wasted to just stay in the train for six over days.

All right. My passport has been sent out for the visas for both Belarus and Russia because I need a visa to go to Russia and a transit visa to Belarus as the train from Moscow to Paris goes through Belarus.

For those who intend to make the trip in the future, give yourself airport nystagmus month to get the visas because the visa for Russia takes a week to get done and the visa for Belarus another week and a half. Give and take a bit of delay and one month should be safe.

My flight is booked for the evening of 20 June because I want to give myself a full day in Seoul to refresh before the boat ride. Cos the alternative is to reach Seoul to the airport and go to the port immediately, leaving very little room for error.

@Mercury1 or others any idea how to change into roubles in China? Can change directly from SGD to roubles or must I change from SGD to USD then to roubles?

Will update as more details come in.

• Praise 2

It is better to carry USD.

To get foreign currency in China, it is either airport or authorised FX transaction bank.

In airport, i rem dealer charge RMB60 commission.

• Praise 1

Hi Philip,

Unfortunately I changed in the UK cause was based there even the money changer had to order it in. I search around if I have any left over but don't get your hope up though.

Best to probably change in Beijing, I found a old topic might still be relevant.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k6113046-Roubles_available_in_Beijing_for_use_on_Trans_Mongolian_trai-Beijing.html

CCY wise suggest you bring a mix of USD/Euros the latter is more useful in Poland etc, I am sure for exchange Russia will accept as well. If possible carry small notes the smaller the better.

One more thing, for precaution you might want to note following.

- Take a list of all the embassies location in each country you visit.

- Pocket GPS is helpful but not a must have

- Email a copy of your passport/Visa and embassy locations to yourself in case you lose any details

- Consider registering the visitation dates of each country with the embassy

- A metal locking cable is useful for securing your bag if you are travelling alone, I had a Pacsafe mesh but too heavy for practical use

- Carry a copy of your passport in color to show if asked, if possible try not produce your actual passport unless in a secured environment.

- Be mindful of these scams https://www.thelocal.fr/20160307/the-tricks-parisian-thieves-use-to-earn-1000s-each-day

- In eastern europe be mindful in the metro (even in europe) that is where most of the pickpockets scam artist hang out.

All right. My passport has been sent out for the visas for both Belarus and Russia because I need a visa to go to Russia and a transit visa to Belarus as the train from Moscow to Paris goes through Belarus.

For those who intend to make the trip in the future, give yourself airport nystagmus month to get the visas because the visa for Russia takes a week to get done and the visa for Belarus another week and a half. Give and take a bit of delay and one month should be safe.

My flight is booked for the evening of 20 June because I want to give myself a full day in Seoul to refresh before the boat ride. Cos the alternative is to reach Seoul to the airport and go to the port immediately, leaving very little room for error.

@Mercury1 or others any idea how to change into roubles in China? Can change directly from SGD to roubles or must I change from SGD to USD then to roubles?

Will update as more details come in.

Edited by Mercury1
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

Just on the battery.

I have two cars one here one there.

Every year for past 20 years I spend 6 months here and 6 months there.

There the winter is cold, around freezing now and then.

Cars are parked up outside, here in MSCP there in driveway.

I disconnect battery whenever car is not in use for 6 months then reconnect when I'm going to drive.

Without fail the car will start on first turnover of engine.

I change battery after 5 years sometimes more.

In one case I was away for over two years and car started on first turnover.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Latest update. I have booked everything (almost ) until new York.

I am going by the budget route but it is still expensive.

Coat of visas for both Belarus and Russia is close to $700. The reason why I need a Belarus visas is cos the train from Moscow to Paris goes through Belarus. And the cost goes up further cos there is no Belarus consulate in Singapore so they have to courier it to Indonesia and back.

With all my expenses so far I think I spend about 4k so far for

1) air ticket from Singapore to Seoul

2) one night accommodation at Seoul

3) ferry ticket from Seoul to tianjin

4) 4 night accommodation at Beijing

5) trans siberian from Beijing to irkustk, irkutsk to Moscow and Moscow to paris

6) accommodation at irkustk and Moscow

7) airfare from Paris to new York.

You can see the second part of trip (road trip across USA) is not inside. So yeah I think the trip will easily hit 10k

It's "almost " cos I not sure where I wanna stay in Paris since I will only be there for 24 hrs. Might wing it.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 5

Time flies. I am flying off tomorrow. Disconnected my car battery (negative terminal) and inflated my car tires beyond normal (250kpa). Hope the battery can still function when I return and the tires not too underinflated when i return.

Oh and I am cutting short my usa portion (no harm cos return tickets not bought yet) cos my friend asked me to spend some time with him in Japan instead of just transiting through....

I just came back from a trip to port dickson where I was sole driver and my thought was..... I drive four hours I feel tired. What if I had to drive eight hours every day for and week or two? So most likely i will take greyhound or amtrak across USA instead of driving but will decide on the spot.

• Praise 4

Time flies. I am flying off tomorrow. Disconnected my car battery (negative terminal) and inflated my car tires beyond normal (250kpa). Hope the battery can still function when I return and the tires not too underinflated when i return.

Oh and I am cutting short my usa portion (no harm cos return tickets not bought yet) cos my friend asked me to spend some time with him in Japan instead of just transiting through....

I just came back from a trip to port dickson where I was sole driver and my thought was..... I drive four hours I feel tired. What if I had to drive eight hours every day for and week or two? So most likely i will take greyhound or amtrak across USA instead of driving but will decide on the spot.

Lol amtrak is comfy but damn slow. U take like 7 hours to cover 400-500km. Greyhound... Bus stops in America are pretty crap. U sit for few hours to come down to a toilet and a snack shop.

I will rather drive. Lol

Have fun.

Turbocharged

Wah good luck man... enjoy yourself

I think you are spending too little time in each places. You should go st Petersburg if you visiting Russia, from there there is more connections to get to Paris I think, through the Baltic states and Poland all very nice countries

• Praise 1

Lost in Seoul. Almost could not find my hostel cos the road signs and landmark signs are in Korean. Had to ask for directions multiple times.

post-57859-0-39294000-1529544878_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-63931200-1529544898_thumb.jpg

eh take photos with your phone horizontally, not vertically lol.

Dunno why it always appear like that. Lol

(edited)

No reason lah. u taking photos with your phone vertically is the only answer. [laugh]

Edited by Lala81

Camping here for trip report and photo.

TS check into hotel, we checking in to see pic. You are travelling alone or with others? 

↡ Advertisement