Current Audi A6 good? Any oil consumption or major issues?

Tmmugen

Hi guys, I was about to commit a second hand about 2 years old A6 1.8 TFSI Ultra Edition. What is the pros and cons of this car? Tried searching but to no avail. Seems like there not much mentioned.

Also, do you guys know how to differentiate the Matrix headlight? Heard that this is a very expensive option.

Any comments and advises are welcome. Many thanks in advance. 

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Hi guys, I was about to commit a second hand about 2 years old A6 1.8 TFSI Ultra Edition. What is the pros and cons of this car? Tried searching but to no avail. Seems like there not much mentioned.

Also, do you guys know how to differentiate the Matrix headlight? Heard that this is a very expensive option.

Any comments and advises are welcome. Many thanks in advance. 

Matrix headlamps have a starkly different look with a unique DRL signature. They are highlighted by the numerous mini projectors that individually dim to 'black out' sections of their beam that other vehicles are occupying, theoretically allowing you to drive on permanent high beam.

They also include the usual adaptive functions of speed-variable-beam width/length control, steering-related angling and levelling.

It is extremely distinctive and recognizable compared to the standard, non-adaptive bi-xenons used by most A6s which resemble those used by the lower A4 B7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvFbCxUZKI

It's quite an expensive but very high tech option that I believe is one of the hallmarks of the 'proper' Audi experience, though most would say they can't be appreciated much in local condtions, perhaps more so in the north.

I bought a new Audi A6, 1.8 TFSI, about 6 months ago, now with 17,000km on the clock. May not be able to tell you much about its reliability as it is still a new car.

So far no engine oil consumption issue, although I was surprised my boot has a spare small bottle of engine oil when they deliver the car to me, maybe they worry this is a normal problem so they give me a bottle to top up but so far no need. Already went for the first service at 15,000.

its a nice car, luxury inside, seats although not as nice as my previous Volvo but still manageable. Fairly light car due to aluminium, fuel consumption better than my previous Volvo XC60 by about 10 to 15 %. With a mix of city and expressway driving, (I think 40% city, 60% expressway), I can clock around 9.5l per 100km, my previous Volvo was around 11l per 100km on the same driving condition.

Handling is accurate, a stable car at expressway speed. But I think it comes with a sports suspension as standard, so a bit bumpy, luckily my rims is only 17 inch so the thicker tyres can absorb some of the bumps. Very quiet engine compared to Volvo or older Merc (I only had the Kompressor Merc before, so I cannot compare with the new Merc which maybe quieter now).

Matrix headlight is nice but not much use in Singapore. Just looks nicer, thats all.

The 7 speed DCT gearbox is sporty and quick to change, I have never encountered hesitancy in shifting compared to my 8-speed Volvo previously. But I heard the DCT is not so reliable, keeping my finger crossed for now.

Price is certainly cheaper than Merc and BMW, but the status may also not be as high as Merc and BMW especially this is an older model. When I bought it 6 months ago, it was at $190k, the Merc E200 were at $260k (but I think there maybe some discounts after in there) and BMW was only about to launch their new 520d also around $260k. I was also looking at the new Volvo S90 at $210k but I decided to try Audi for a change due to 5 years unlimited mileage warranty. The Lexus GS200t was I think around $250k.

• Praise 2

what are you looking for in a car? If just daily driving, smooth cruiser. the A6 is a good car for that. there are quite a number of post about A6. fuel consumption varies from person to person. Mine is 7.5l/100km average with 50% city driving. if the route is 80% highway, the trip consumption can be as low as 4.9l/100km.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Matrix headlight is nice but not much use in Singapore. Just looks nicer, thats all.

I have non-local-dimming adaptive LED, and I feel they really outperform traditional bixenon and halogen, much wider coverage in dark roads... true won't appreciate much by most people in SG... but at any rate, for Matrix LED, you have to drive with your high beam on to really see their ability.

I forgot to mention though that Matrix headlamps have the scrolling indicators which the usual lights don't, which helps complete the look since the rears now do.

What oil consumption??

I think they asking about the complaints that Audi engines burn away engine oil.

My Audi A6, so far (at 17,000km) no issue with oil consumption. Service once at 15,000km. So far no need to top up engine oil.

I used to have a very old Honda, gasket cracked, oil mixed with water and comes out white smoke at exhaust, every 3 days top up engine oil.  I keep a big container of engine oil in my care then. So I am not too bothered with low engine oil as long as just top up and it does not cause any engine problem will be good enough.

• Praise 1

Too much of hear say about Audi / VW engine oil and gearbox issues can be disturbing. OK, a very brief reply: No reported case on excessive engine oil consumption on the newer A6 (1.8T & 2.0T) so far, and the gearbox is 7 speed wet clutch DCT, which is not related to the infamous gearbox issue faced by owner with the older 7 speed dry clutch DSG.

In fact, I was just discussing with a few forumers yesterday evening during a meet up, that the revised 7 speed dry clutch DSG has been doing fine in the later Golf, Jetta, Passat (1.8T) in the past 2 years, so time to move on...

Oh, about the engine oil consumption issue (in the previous EA888 engine - gen 1 & 2), one of the root cause is with the placement of the oil level sensor in the sump. For those like me that bother to track and monitor the situation case by case, when the warning light pop up (after about 6K - 8K Km, the amount of engine oil that can be added is just ~1.0L, so for me, I just leave it to my next servicing. On the record, the RED low engine oil warning never once popped up, and my car has been running 100% fine for the 158K+ Km, till I sold it.

• Praise 7

My Audi A6, so far (at 17,000km) no issue with oil consumption. Service once at 15,000km. So far no need to top up engine oil.

I used to have a very old Honda, gasket cracked, oil mixed with water and comes out white smoke at exhaust, every 3 days top up engine oil. I keep a big container of engine oil in my care then. So I am not too bothered with low engine oil as long as just top up and it does not cause any engine problem will be good enough.

Wow....6 mths n u clock 17,000km oredi?

Neutral Newbie

Hi i am driving an a6 tfsi 2017 model

TFSI ULTRA (PI) (NAV)

i have been having this issue where the key sometimes is not recognised and i have to put the key at the key marker to start the engine it happens randomly wondering wats the issue even when i am trying to unlock my door it sometimes not working until i have to take the key out and. Hold it near the sensor.

On 8/22/2017 at 12:22 PM, Rangie said:

I used to have a very old Honda, gasket cracked, oil mixed with water and comes out white smoke at exhaust, every 3 days top up engine oil.  I keep a big container of engine oil in my care then. So I am not too bothered with low engine oil as long as just top up and it does not cause any engine problem will be good enough.

I know nothing about AUDIs  ( drive a low end BMW ) but 15k km oil change seems to be pushing it a bit.I would think of just changing out the oil earlier even if not doing a full servicing.

Supersonic
40 minutes ago, shrjun said:

I know nothing about AUDIs  ( drive a low end BMW ) but 15k km oil change seems to be pushing it a bit.I would think of just changing out the oil earlier even if not doing a full servicing.

All conti factory service interval is 15k

How is BMW any different?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ivar said:

Hi i am driving an a6 tfsi 2017 model

TFSI ULTRA (PI) (NAV)

i have been having this issue where the key sometimes is not recognised and i have to put the key at the key marker to start the engine it happens randomly wondering wats the issue even when i am trying to unlock my door it sometimes not working until i have to take the key out and. Hold it near the sensor.

Keyfob battery flat lo.