The new BMW M5 : first look

Aventafreak

Ouch! But that's life. I know it too well myself. We do it anyway and will do it again in a heartbeat!

Am surprised the trade in sucked.

i clocked 40k km in 12 months lol. dealer almost fainted 

↡ Advertisement

I agree on the fate part and yes I do always take good care of my cars.

I actually am trading in the 540 for the F90. Original Plan was to get the alphard as the 2nd car and keep the 540 as the "fun car" but now with the increased expenses of the F90, will have to forgo getting a 2nd car for the time being

I would like to think so, my sales guy only told me after we closed the deal....we had a good laugh over it.

PPSL quoted me an insanely low trade in value...I sold it to an outside dealer instead. In the 12 months I had the 540, I lost $110,000! But well life is short!

110k! How many packets of tisu I need to sell to earn this amount

Congrats on your purchase of the F90! I am sure it will provide you with lots of driving pleasure [thumbsup].

Your current G30 540i M Sport is definitely a very good car as well; I find the M Sports model of the BMW range with the M Performance body kits being one of the best looking models with G30 being no exception.

IMO, it is perfectly ok to fit a non-M/// car with the M Performance body kits as it helps with aesthetics but I'm clueless how a M/// badge for a non-M/// car would help with aesthetics or power :blink:. Anyway, to each his own.... happy can already.

I currently have the G30 540i M Sport, the side fenders, door sills have the M badge from the factory LOL. 

I cant wait! Cant wait for Mid May! Taking so long....

• Praise 1

Twincharged

i clocked 40k km in 12 months lol. dealer almost fainted

Just renewed COE for my March 2010 car. Mileage 20k.

It means you had twice the fun i had, all in one year!

Btw , enjoyed the drive of the M5. I am sure the Competition will be even more fun. Tempted!!

Edited by sake

Just renewed COE for my March 2010 car. Mileage 20k.

It means you had twice the fun i had, all in one year!

Btw , enjoyed the drive of the M5. I am sure the Competition will be even more fun. Tempted!!

9yo only 20k  :slow:

car sitting at home only? :yeah-im-not-drunk:

• Praise 3

I agree on the fate part and yes I do always take good care of my cars.

I actually am trading in the 540 for the F90. Original Plan was to get the alphard as the 2nd car and keep the 540 as the "fun car" but now with the increased expenses of the F90, will have to forgo getting a 2nd car for the time being

I would like to think so, my sales guy only told me after we closed the deal....we had a good laugh over it.

PPSL quoted me an insanely low trade in value...I sold it to an outside dealer instead. In the 12 months I had the 540, I lost $110,000! But well life is short!

When I sold my AMG GT to a dealer to get my McLaren, I lost about 190k. That's what happens when you buy new. Big losses are a fact of life. But if we were being completely rational, we wouldn't buy cars here, let alone supercars haha.
  • Praise 2

When I sold my AMG GT to a dealer to get my McLaren, I lost about 190k. That's what happens when you buy new. Big losses are a fact of life. But if we were being completely rational, we wouldn't buy cars here, let alone supercars haha.

Agreed with you on that! Sometimes its better not to be too rational. Life is short. We should all have a meetup soon for coffee or something. Not everyday we can meet someone that thinks the same 

• Praise 1

Agreed with you on that! Sometimes its better not to be too rational. Life is short. We should all have a meetup soon for coffee or something. Not everyday we can meet someone that thinks the same

Definitely!
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

With this kind of mileage for a 9 year old car, I'm pretty sure it is some exotic or a special car if not an exotic. AMG or M? share share abit?

Lol. Nothing exotic. 997.2 Turbo.

My total yearly mileage is 7k plus.

• Praise 4

Supercharged

Haha , I told you so ....

• Praise 3

Twincharged

M850 yummy  :inlove:

went down to check.

the M850i is M Performance and not 'Full' M.

the M5 and M5 Competition are 'Full" Ms.

• Praise 2

went down to check.

same as m240 m35i & m40i...half m nearly m  [:p]

for me happy liao [inlove]

white ant loves full m  [lipsrsealed]  [rolleyes]

• Praise 3

went down to check.

That's standard in the naming convention.

Full M will only have M and a single number. Usually number will be after the M (M2, M3, M3, M5, M6) except for a single model, namely 1M where the number comes before the M.

There are some SUVs that are generally considered full M but that's mainly because they're using S series engines. They're the X5M and X6M.

The Z4M rounds out the last of the full M cars. A bit of an oddity, so I put it in its own category.

Any car that has more than one number in the model name can never be considered full M. So that means M140i (my car), M760Li, M850i all are not full M cars.

As to how important these distinctions are, I would say "not very". You see, the M are supposed to all run S series engines but the 1M and M2 (earlier non competition version) ran N series engines but are still considered full M. And the non M no longer all run only N series engines, some models run the B series engines which many consider a superior design, further blurring the line.

Also keep in mind that Alpina doesn't generally use S engines - they tune the hell out of the equivalent N series engine, which shows the potential of even the N engines.

And a lot of enthusiasts would say that M has lost its original meaning. They would contend that all the fat, heavy, luxurious and safety-feature riddled cars passing for M implies that M has changed in meaning from Motorsports to Marketing. Lots of merit to this opinion, in my view. They're mainly street cars, not track day killers anymore. In contrast, many new sports Porsche models, while brilliant on the road, are still very track worthy in stock form.

Finally all this is a bit beside the point in Singapore. Here, M performance is sold alongside full M at PMA (Performance Munich Auto at Alexandra, previously Munich Auto at Teban). The M club is open to both full M and M performance (but not anything else). And on drives up north, believe me when I say that MPA cars are not holding the convoy back. Many of them are even quicker in a straight line than the full M cars.

(By the way, I tried not to muddle the issue too much with interesting historical tidbits - like the M1, which is more a homologation racing inspired supercar than a real M road car (and that's also the reason the newer car with the N54 engine was named 1M). And the first car that's considered a true M car for the road was confusingly named M535i, which sounds like a name we would give an MPA car today, but that old car was truly an M5 predecessor. Full M DNA.)

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 7

Twincharged

That's standard in the naming convention.

Full M will only have M and a single number. Usually number will be after the M (M2, M3, M3, M5, M6) except for a single model, namely 1M where the number comes before the M.

There are some SUVs that are generally considered full M but that's mainly because they're using S series engines. They're the X5M and X6M.

The Z4M rounds out the last of the full M cars. A bit of an oddity, so I put it in its own category.

Any car that has more than one number in the model name can never be considered full M. So that means M140i (my car), M760Li, M850i all are not full M cars.

As to how important these distinctions are, I would say "not very". You see, the M are supposed to all run S series engines but the 1M and M2 (earlier non competition version) ran N series engines but are still considered full M. And the non M no longer all run only N series engines, some models run the B series engines which many consider a superior design, further blurring the line.

Also keep in mind that Alpina doesn't generally use S engines - they tune the hell out of the equivalent N series engine, which shows the potential of even the N engines.

And a lot of enthusiasts would say that M has lost its original meaning. They would contend that all the fat, heavy, luxurious and safety-feature riddled cars passing for M implies that M has changed in meaning from Motorsports to Marketing. Lots of merit to this opinion, in my view. They're mainly street cars, not track day killers anymore. In contrast, many new sports Porsche models, while brilliant on the road, are still very track worthy in stock form.

Finally all this is a bit beside the point in Singapore. Here, M performance is sold alongside full M at PMA (Performance Munich Auto at Alexandra, previously Munich Auto at Teban). The M club is open to both full M and M performance (but not anything else). And on drives up north, believe me when I say that MPA cars are not holding the convoy back. Many of them are even quicker in a straight line than the full M cars.

(By the way, I tried not to muddle the issue too much with interesting historical tidbits - like the M1, which is more a homologation racing inspired supercar than a real M road car (and that's also the reason the newer car with the N54 engine was named 1M). And the first car that's considered a true M car for the road was confusingly named M535i, which sounds like a name we would give an MPA car today, but that old car was truly an M5 predecessor. Full M DNA.)

thanks for such a detailed and clear explanation.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3