The new BMW M5 : first look

Aventafreak

visually is it possible to spot a real m5 from a fake m5, without lifting up the bonnet?

can the side air vent be modded?

probably most won't mod m sport seats

Everything can be modded. Depends how much the owner willing to spend. Just use enquire road tax expiry to find out.

Lta no longer issue RT disc quite some time

Yup. I was at PML and saw the M760Li and the SA told me thats the only unit they sold and saw the 2 digit number plate.

So when I saw another M760Li on the road with a 4 digit number plate, I decided to kpo to check it out. The owner changed the rear exhuast tips to the M760Li version too.

sorry, sidetrack here. hope the M5 enthusiasts dun mind

I am having a mid life crisis. I want to drive something spirited and decently fast but I dun want to spend extra money on new cars.

How is the M135 2nd hand? 5-6 years old car

Can buy?

M135i is a fun car but unfortunately I did not have any first hand experience in it regarding the maintenance. I did hear that it is pretty alright.
↡ Advertisement

visually is it possible to spot a real m5 from a fake m5, without lifting up the bonnet?

can the side air vent be modded?

probably most won't mod m sport seats

The fake M3 and M4s are quite easy to spot as the road legal exhaust configuration for non-Ms are very different from the real Ms.

The M5s are tricky though, as their exhaust configuration very close. Maybe brakes? Most can’t be bothered to upgrade their brakes or still using their stock 520 brakes..

Edited by Xeryh

The fake M3 and M4s are quite easy to spot as the road legal exhaust configuration for non-Ms are very different from the real Ms.

The M5s are tricky though, as their exhaust configuration very close. Maybe brakes? Most can’t be bothered to upgrade their brakes or still using their stock 520 brakes..

To be fair, he didn't put any badge. But he had the bulging bonnet and the side fender, along with the quad exhaust.

I was admiring it from a corner until the owner started the engine.. and it sounded so soft. Quieter than my car sia! That prompted me to check.. and it's a 316

post-1798-0-14409400-1556517473_thumb.jpeg

post-1798-0-46114000-1556517480_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 1

How is the M135 2nd hand? 5-6 years old car

Can buy? 

I've had an M135i a few cars ago. The 5 door version (just like my current M140i).

It was a very nice car. Quick in stock form, actually quicker up to even 140+ km/h (tried and tested) than an E92 M3 (this is the N/A version).

Stock vs stock between the M135i and the M140i, the figures are slightly better for the new car, but honestly, you won't feel it in the driver's seat. In fact, the M135i has a little more of the fun factor as it is is more non-linear in its turbo punch. The M140i is more linear in its delivery in stock form.

But most people don't keep these cars stock. At the very least, they chip (piggyback) it. I had a Racechip Ultimate on mine. Another popular option is the Juicebox. These piggybacks increase the fun factor greatly but can cause some issues - error codes and premature wear. The spark plugs and ignition coils will go sooner than they should and they can be expensive jobs. Even under a Munich Auto warranty, my sparks were not covered even though they should've been as the service advisor "suspected" a chip had been in (even though I'd taken it out religiously before handing it over, haha).

The other thing that goes - and it can go even in a stock car that's driven very hard, but more often in a slightly tuned car - is the intake charge pipe. This is a cheap plastic piece of crap that breaks very easily on repeated hard and over-boosting. Unfortunately, this piece of crap is also quite critical to holding boost. Rupture it during a spirited drive and you'll be running a low-compression naturally aspirated engine. Worse than limp mode. Happened to me during a hard B-road drive with a few other cars (including a friend with an E60 M5) and I had to drive back from Fraser's through heavy traffic with my family like this through heavy Malaysian traffic. Not fun. I had to keep my wits about me all the way back.

Fortunately, that problem has an easy prophylactic fix - get a stainless steel charge pipe. There's an Evolution Raceworks charge pipe I used, and I highly recommend it. It even comes with a methanol bung should you decide to go hardcore.

What else? Oh yes, look at the list of mods. The stock car doesn't come with an LSD (limited slip differential). It doesn't need it for the road, but it benefits greatly from it for track use. There is a Quaife LSD that's quite popular. If you see a car that's had an LSD fitted, it's an even more sure sign than just a normal coilover job that the car has seen track use. I don't know if that matters to you. If you do intend to track it, getting one with an LSD already in will be awesome.

Exhaust - of course make sure it's an approved one. There is an approved M performance exhaust. There are also approved Eisenmann and Akrapovic options if memory serves.

Warranty - If the car came from the agent (should be Munich Auto at the time), there would've been a 5 year all-in warranty - free servicing, parts and labour all included (except for my damn spark plugs!!). But my point is: if your car is just about 5+ years old, it's just out of warranty - you have to be careful about why that person is selling it at this time. Is the car problem-ridden and he's getting rid of it since it's out of warranty? But if it's a PI car, this is not a consideration, it was never under a meaningful warranty anyway.

Hope all this helps. All in all, it's a good car. Better get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done for peace of mind. I can recommend some BMW places to do it if you want.

• Praise 1

There is the boss of a well-known audio shop who'd done up his 523i until it was indistinguishable from an F10 M5 externally.

Bloody waste of money if you ask me.

Edited by Turboflat4

There is the boss of a well-known audio shop who'd done up his 523i until it was indistinguishable from an F10 M5 externally.

Bloody waste of money if you ask me.

Lol as long as he’s happy can already..

I am super afraid to do any bo liao mods and Rodney/Nadia will give it to me big time!

To be fair, he didn't put any badge. But he had the bulging bonnet and the side fender, along with the quad exhaust.

I was admiring it from a corner until the owner started the engine.. and it sounded so soft. Quieter than my car sia! That prompted me to check.. and it's a 316 ð

BA109E88-B66C-419B-A8C6-7B24A062A832.jpeg

5595DFE2-9AAD-4388-8ACF-4BEE4572F33D.jpeg

Erm he even changed the exhaust config to match the real deal.. fierce haha

Another dead give away is the rear arches. Only the real real will have the wide body front/rear fenders

I was admiring it from a corner until the owner started the engine.. and it sounded so soft. Quieter than my car sia! That prompted me to check.. and it's a 316

I've had an M135i a few cars ago. The 5 door version (just like my current M140i).

It was a very nice car. Quick in stock form, actually quicker up to even 140+ km/h (tried and tested) than an E92 M3 (this is the N/A version).

Stock vs stock between the M135i and the M140i, the figures are slightly better for the new car, but honestly, you won't feel it in the driver's seat. In fact, the M135i has a little more of the fun factor as it is is more non-linear in its turbo punch. The M140i is more linear in its delivery in stock form.

But most people don't keep these cars stock. At the very least, they chip (piggyback) it. I had a Racechip Ultimate on mine. Another popular option is the Juicebox. These piggybacks increase the fun factor greatly but can cause some issues - error codes and premature wear. The spark plugs and ignition coils will go sooner than they should and they can be expensive jobs. Even under a Munich Auto warranty, my sparks were not covered even though they should've been as the service advisor "suspected" a chip had been in (even though I'd taken it out religiously before handing it over, haha).

The other thing that goes - and it can go even in a stock car that's driven very hard, but more often in a slightly tuned car - is the intake charge pipe. This is a cheap plastic piece of crap that breaks very easily on repeated hard and over-boosting. Unfortunately, this piece of crap is also quite critical to holding boost. Rupture it during a spirited drive and you'll be running a low-compression naturally aspirated engine. Worse than limp mode. Happened to me during a hard B-road drive with a few other cars (including a friend with an E60 M5) and I had to drive back from Fraser's through heavy traffic with my family like this through heavy Malaysian traffic. Not fun. I had to keep my wits about me all the way back.

Fortunately, that problem has an easy prophylactic fix - get a stainless steel charge pipe. There's an Evolution Raceworks charge pipe I used, and I highly recommend it. It even comes with a methanol bung should you decide to go hardcore.

What else? Oh yes, look at the list of mods. The stock car doesn't come with an LSD (limited slip differential). It doesn't need it for the road, but it benefits greatly from it for track use. There is a Quaife LSD that's quite popular. If you see a car that's had an LSD fitted, it's an even more sure sign than just a normal coilover job that the car has seen track use. I don't know if that matters to you. If you do intend to track it, getting one with an LSD already in will be awesome.

Exhaust - of course make sure it's an approved one. There is an approved M performance exhaust. There are also approved Eisenmann and Akrapovic options if memory serves.

Warranty - If the car came from the agent (should be Munich Auto at the time), there would've been a 5 year all-in warranty - free servicing, parts and labour all included (except for my damn spark plugs!!). But my point is: if your car is just about 5+ years old, it's just out of warranty - you have to be careful about why that person is selling it at this time. Is the car problem-ridden and he's getting rid of it since it's out of warranty? But if it's a PI car, this is not a consideration, it was never under a meaningful warranty anyway.

Hope all this helps. All in all, it's a good car. Better get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done for peace of mind. I can recommend some BMW places to do it if you want.

Thanks. i take it offline with u on where to go

1. for servicing, run prechecks before buying (possible for a sum of money?)

2. possible mods if i can find one

Edited by Atachi
  • Praise 1

I am super afraid to do any bo liao mods and Rodney/Nadia will give it to me big time!

Nad likes to "sour" people say: with all the useless mod wasting money might as well buy an authentic preloved real one   :yeah-im-not-drunk:

as for Rod will prefer customer to spend more on service & maintenance cos .... :slow:

Buy More Warranties

Bring More Worries

instead of bring more women  :grin:

best solution in SG is              Bus Mrt Walk  [thumbsup]

Wow, how much did he spend? Even the license plate holders were changed. Nothing wrong with the body kits to look like a M car for aesthetics purposes to stand out from the many other Beemers. But to replace / debadge is another thing, driving a 316 very malu meh? 

When I see a M badge at a traffic light, will be expecting nice note and fast pick up. But if it is a rebadged with slow pick up even more malu when get out run by "normal" vehicles. At least if the original badge remained expectations won't be misled and won't be as malu.  

he didn't put any badge, so u have to aga aga.

let u guess whether to race him or not, haha

• Praise 2

dont play play brudder [:p]

316 sure beat my G20 310i xDrive ok  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Wow, how much did he spend? Even the license plate holders were changed. Nothing wrong with the body kits to look like a M car for aesthetics purposes to stand out from the many other Beemers. But to replace / debadge is another thing, driving a 316 very malu meh? 

When I see a M badge at a traffic light, will be expecting nice note and fast pick up. But if it is a rebadged with slow pick up even more malu when get out run by "normal" vehicles. At least if the original badge remained expectations won't be misled and won't be as malu.  

I rarely see a real M car nowadays. The engine and/or exhuast note will be the perfect giveaway. There was once I saw a F10 M5 and thought it was a fake, I went beside looked at the driver and blasted off LOL! He came behind and then beside me and gave me a puzzled look. After I heard him zoom past, I then did a road tax enquiry expiry then found out its the real M5! haha!

Nad likes to "sour" people say: with all the useless mod wasting money might as well buy an authentic preloved real one   :yeah-im-not-drunk:

as for Rod will prefer customer to spend more on service & maintenance cos .... :slow:

Buy More Warranties

Bring More Worries

instead of bring more women  :grin:

best solution in SG is              Bus Mrt Walk  [thumbsup]

Agreed, modify the car in its own unique way. I still do not like the idea of modding a non M car to look a M car. Its for poseurs 

nowadays, if you see a car exterior heavily modified, chances are the car has stock engine except maybe for air intake and/or aftermarket loud exhuast and usually slow.

I rarely see a real M car nowadays.

Really? I see them quite often. Even today I saw a legit M4 on the way to IMM.

I'm not counting the ones I see around my neighbourhood and my workplace lol. That would add at least 3 to the daily tally. :D

Edited by Turboflat4

I'm not counting the ones I see around my neighbourhood and my workplace lol. That would add at least 3 to the daily tally. :D

Maybe the areas I am at are not so common. I need to start being more attentive on the roads. 

Nad likes to "sour" people say: with all the useless mod wasting money might as well buy an authentic preloved real one :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Buy More Warranties

Bring More Worries

instead of bring more women :grin:

best solution in SG is Bus Mrt Walk [thumbsup]

Yup that’s the folks I know haha, was trying to install a Gruppe m on my car and they just refused to do it. In the end Kenna niao by both of them before they grudgingly do haha

Love them though, honest folks haha

Maybe the areas I am at are not so common. I need to start being more attentive on the roads.

A hot mummy I know drives a f10 M5. Near my office there’s a fella driving a new 2 digit f90 M5. That’s about it for the Ms that I see more often.
  • Praise 1

I rarely see a real M car nowadays. The engine and/or exhuast note will be the perfect giveaway. There was once I saw a F10 M5 and thought it was a fake, I went beside looked at the driver and blasted off LOL! He came behind and then beside me and gave me a puzzled look. After I heard him zoom past, I then did a road tax enquiry expiry then found out its the real M5! haha!

Agreed, modify the car in its own unique way. I still do not like the idea of modding a non M car to look a M car. Its for poseurs

nowadays, if you see a car exterior heavily modified, chances are the car has stock engine except maybe for air intake and/or aftermarket loud exhuast and usually slow.

Bro you go teban garden crescent number 30 all authentic m there

• Praise 5

Your neighborhood, a Cayenne Turbo is the soccer mum’s car.

An M car is the College Son’s car

Plenty plenty

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1