The new BMW M5 : first look

Aventafreak

Can't praise you yet but beautiful ride, congrats!

Thanks Turboflat4, I also could not praise your posts haha. I need to praise another 32 other people posts before I can praise your posts again. I think it is a forum software restriction?
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Thanks Turboflat4, I also could not praise your posts haha. I need to praise another 32 other people posts before I can praise your posts again. I think it is a forum software restriction?

Yeah. The required number shrinks as you grow in rep rank lol. Ten for me.
  • Praise 1

Some thoughts on the car after 4 days.....

1) Aesthetics, the car is actually slightly wider than the G30 as well as wider tracks. It looks more aggressive especially with the competition package where the mirror caps, front grille, side trims, rear bootlid spoiler as well as the rear diffuser are all in gloss black. The car has the exterior painted in Marina Bay Blue and the interior in silverstone merino. To me, it looks absolutely gorgeous and looks "harmless" to the unsuspecting car non enthusiast. I like the stealth factor of these super saloons.

Overall: Very Good!

2) Practicality and Comfort, comparing to the G30 540i with factory fitted adaptive suspension, the F90 Comp rides stiffer maybe by say 20%? The G30 was eventually lowered on AC Schnitzer lowering springs and rode quite a fair bit stiffer than on the stock springs and in my opinion rode abit less comfy than the F90 Comp. Overall, family and friends felt that the car is surprisingly comfortable for a performance car like this and except for the rumble of the V8, you would never guess that this is a performance car.

3) Sound, the car is really loud especially in enclosed carparks during startups even in efficient mode. Ermmm I do love the rumble of the V8 but I do am concerned that when I am going out late at night or in the early mornings as I do not wish to disturb my neighbours but anyways, the car is designed as such so I will just leave it as it is, not that I can do anything about it anyway. The exhuast valves are coded from the factory to stay open by default with every startup and when the engine is in sport plus mode, the exhuast gets significantly louder and I do enjoy driving around with the engine rumbling in its loudest setting  [:p] . In sport plus mode with the exhuast valves open, when you rev the engine while the car is stationary, you can hear the crackle really really loud something akin to firecrackers and the sound level is comparable to that! Comparing to the F10 M5, the F90 Comp sounds similiar in certain ways BUT the F90 Comp sound way way better when you are going hard on the car. During run in, you are only allowed to rev up to 5500rpm but it is more than enough to hear the V8.

Overall: Excellent!

4) Fuel Economy, I know some of you guys will go  [:|] . Most would say, this is a performance car, getting such a car, one should NOT be concerned about fuel economy, being able to afford petrol should not be a concern BUT the hassle of frequent top ups especially during long road trips, does get tiresome as well as safety should the next petrol station be a distance away. I'm still running in the car so I cannot give an accurate feedback on the fuel economy but I do get on the throttle abit for adrenalin rush sometimes. It averages 6.X to 7.Xkm/l with a combination of 60% highway and 40% non highway. Most of the time, I just cruise in 8th gear in the 2nd lane, I would say the fuel economy is pretty good for such a performance car. My G30 540i averages 8.x to 9.x km/l in the same driving conditions and roads. I would say the fuel economy is not too shabby in my opinion. 

Overall: Good

5) Performance, bearing in mind the car is still running in and the max revs recommended ceiling for the 1st 2000km is 5500rpm, the performance is surprisingly good without needing to push the car too hard. Just a gentle nudge on the throttle and the car surges effortlessly forward like a speeding bullet towards the horizon. It is docile when doodling around in city traffic and sitting at stop lights. When the situation arises, it can become a raging animal simply be depressing the accelerator more aggressively. The road holding stability around bends is highly capable, body roll minimal and gives one oodles of confidence. Will input more on this after the car does it's run-in service at 2000km. That is when the eventuri intake will be installed and I will give a seperate review on that.

Conclusion, it is not a supercar in the league of ferraris, lambos, etc however the paper specs suggests. It is however a super saloon in a league of it's own, maybe the E63S AMG is comparable but that is about it. It is a comfortable car for the family with a big boot yet highly capable super saloon when the need arises. I have always loved a super saloon for a stealthy profile yet retain all the practicality of a 4 door saloon. This car will be staying with me for a long time to come. I'm writing this with my eyes struggling to stay open so bear with my writing, it might not make sense  [laugh]

• Praise 3

Some thoughts on the car after 4 days.....

1) Aesthetics, the car is actually slightly wider than the G30 as well as wider tracks. It looks more aggressive especially with the competition package where the mirror caps, front grille, side trims, rear bootlid spoiler as well as the rear diffuser are all in gloss black. The car has the exterior painted in Marina Bay Blue and the interior in silverstone merino. To me, it looks absolutely gorgeous and looks "harmless" to the unsuspecting car non enthusiast. I like the stealth factor of these super saloons.

2) Practicality and Comfort, comparing to the G30 540i with factory fitted adaptive suspension, the F90 Comp rides stiffer maybe by say 20%? The G30 was eventually lowered on AC Schnitzer lowering springs and rode quite a fair bit stiffer than on the stock springs and in my opinion rode abit less comfy than the F90 Comp. Overall, family and friends felt that the car is surprisingly comfortable for a performance car like this and except for the rumble of the V8, you would never guess that this is a performance car.

3) Sound, the car is really loud especially in enclosed carparks during startups even in efficient mode. Ermmm I do love the rumble of the V8 but I do am concerned that when I am going out late at night or in the early mornings as I do not wish to disturb my neighbours but anyways, the car is designed as such so I will just leave it as it is, not that I can do anything about it anyway. The exhuast valves are coded from the factory to stay open by default with every startup and when the engine is in sport plus mode, the exhuast gets significantly louder and I do enjoy driving around with the engine rumbling in its loudest setting [:p] . In sport plus mode with the exhuast valves open, when you rev the engine while the car is stationary, you can hear the crackle really really loud something akin to firecrackers and the sound level is comparable to that! Comparing to the F10 M5, the F90 Comp sounds similiar in certain ways BUT the F90 Comp sound way way better when you are going hard on the car. During run in, you are only allowed to rev up to 5500rpm but it is more than enough to hear the V8.

4) Fuel Economy, I know some of you guys will go [:|] . Most would say, this is a performance car, getting such a car, one should NOT be concerned about fuel economy, being able to afford petrol should not be a concern BUT the hassle of frequent top ups especially during long road trips, does get tiresome as well as safety should the next petrol station be a distance away. I'm still running in the car so I cannot give an accurate feedback on the fuel economy but I do get on the throttle abit for adrenalin rush sometimes. It averages 6.X to 7.Xkm/l with a combination of 60% highway and 40% non highway. Most of the time, I just cruise in 8th gear in the 2nd lane, I would say the fuel economy is pretty good for such a performance car. My G30 540i averages 8.x to 9.x km/l in the same driving conditions and roads. I would say the fuel economy is not too shabby in my opinion.

Overall: Good

5) Performance, bearing in mind the car is still running in and the max revs recommended ceiling for the 1st 2000km is 5500rpm, the performance is surprisingly good without needing to push the car too hard. Just a gentle nudge on the throttle and the car surges effortlessly forward like a speeding bullet towards the horizon. It is docile when doodling around in city traffic and sitting at stop lights. When the situation arises, it can become a raging animal simply be depressing the accelerator more aggressively. The road holding stability around bends is highly capable, body roll minimal and gives one oodles of confidence. Will input more on this after the car does it's run-in service at 2000km. That is when the eventuri intake will be installed and I will give a seperate review on that.

Conclusion, it is not a supercar in the league of ferraris, lambos, etc however the paper specs suggests. It is however a super saloon in a league of it's own, maybe the E63S AMG is comparable but that is about it. It is a comfortable car for the family with a big boot yet highly capable super saloon when the need arises. I have always loved a super saloon for a stealthy profile yet retain all the practicality of a 4 door saloon. This car will be staying with me for a long time to come. I'm writing this with my eyes struggling to stay open so bear with my writing, it might not make sense [laugh]

Excellent write up. So happy for you!

Just reading the para on sound alone makes me go

• Praise 5

A weird observation, I noticed that quite a few more drivers on the road like to tailgate and or try traffic light sprints when I'm driving the M. I wonder why. The G30 540i encountered lesser of such drivers though I did notice that the G30 540i encountered more of such drivers as compared to when I had the F10 528i. The F10 was generally invisible and nobody paid any attention to me while on the road, they minding their own business.

I prefer driving leisurely on my own and not have anybody disturbing. Love my peace :)

Twincharged

A weird observation, I noticed that quite a few more drivers on the road like to tailgate and or try traffic light sprints when I'm driving the M. I wonder why. The G30 540i encountered lesser of such drivers though I did notice that the G30 540i encountered more of such drivers as compared to when I had the F10 528i. The F10 was generally invisible and nobody paid any attention to me while on the road, they minding their own business.

I prefer driving leisurely on my own and not have anybody disturbing. Love my peace :)

Or could be that as there are quite many fakes out there, people want to see closer if it’s is the real thing.

I try to get close too and see if it’s the real thing or a fake. If real then admire the nice body lines and the sound. If fake, just give a thumbs down in my head.

• Praise 2

Or could be that as there are quite many fakes out there, people want to see closer if it’s is the real thing.

I try to get close too and see if it’s the real thing or a fake. If real then admire the nice body lines and the sound. If fake, just give a thumbs down in my head.

It could be the case too just that sometimes it gets abit tiresome when driving on the roads.

Twincharged
(edited)

they need to get real close to see the new 'competition' badge.  [laugh]

truly love your CF gear selector!  [thumbsup]

Edited by sake
  • Praise 3

It could be the case too just that sometimes it gets abit tiresome when driving on the roads.

Too many fake M in Sillypore liao

But anyway the car license bracket of PMA can tell liao

Last time MA bracket was given out to all their servicing customers

PMA bracket well controlled only M and 'n' cars got it

Cheers buddy

• Praise 2

they need to get real close to see the new 'competition' badge.  [laugh]

truly love your CF gear selector!  [thumbsup]

hahahaha maybe, thanks! I was worried how the carbon fibre trim would turn out, luckily it turned out nice and matched the dark grey trim interior.

Too many fake M in Sillypore liao

But anyway the car license bracket of PMA can tell liao

Last time MA bracket was given out to all their servicing customers

PMA bracket well controlled only M and 'n' cars got it

Cheers buddy

M for magnet of attraction.

My boss got that with his ex v10... till he floored it to get away...

One thing he realised after a few times of that was the rpm meter shot up very fast and the fuel gauge meter went down very fast too.

• Praise 2

hahahaha maybe, thanks! I was worried how the carbon fibre trim would turn out, luckily it turned out nice and matched the dark grey trim interior.

Agreed on the too many fake M in singapore.

I did not know that the MA bracket is controlled. Now I know [laugh]

Thanks!

PMA F90 confirms authentic

• Praise 3

I also ordered the M Performance Carbon Fibre trim for the gear selector. A photo of it below

CF and red accent cant go wrong, congrats!

• Praise 1

PMA F90 confirms authentic ð¤ð

MA ones got people selling online ð¤ª

Its given for free what, why would anyone need to buy? Just bring your 312 in for servicing and ask them to change to MA plates for u lol

Its given for free what, why would anyone need to buy? Just bring your 312 in for servicing and ask them to change to MA plates for u lol

Long time no more MA M bracket

Now PMA don't give out anymore

To prevent impersonation wannabe :D

Currently G20 don't have 312

• Praise 3

CF and red accent cant go wrong, congrats!

Thanks! 

M for magnet of attraction.

My boss got that with his ex v10... till he floored it to get away...

One thing he realised after a few times of that was the rpm meter shot up very fast and the fuel gauge meter went down very fast too.

hahaha, the way the car burns petrol is rather alarming especially when you get on it. The enjoyment however is priceless.

↡ Advertisement