Agent Cover Up Car Cam During Servicing

Vinceng

If it's warranty replacement you're talking about; you get your parts replaced for free.

Leave your car there and come back to collect.

But it doesn't entails how it gets done, whether you should be there to witness it, and how it's done... etc.

If you're the suspicious kind, you can always get a 3rd party to inspect and certify whether said part has been changed.

The thing is, if you're running a workshop or any businesses, you don't want customers looking or poking around, while you're doing your work.

Worse still to carry a camera and filming your workers without permission.

Sure, we can all say they have something to hide. Won't you do the same ?

I would ensure my workers have proper training.

The worker didn't purposely put in the wrong grade of oil,

they didn't purposely reconnect the wrong plug, they didn't

purposely put the window switch upside down. I am also sure

they don't purposely scratch people's bumper and then have to

polish it out.

So if management are not providing adequate training

for their staff then what are they doing? Collecting salary and

shaking leg?

:D  

↡ Advertisement

If it's warranty replacement you're talking about; you get your parts replaced for free.

Leave your car there and come back to collect.

But it doesn't entails how it gets done, whether you should be there to witness it, and how it's done... etc.

If you're the suspicious kind, you can always get a 3rd party to inspect and certify whether said part has been changed.

The thing is, if you're running a workshop or any businesses, you don't want customers looking or poking around, while you're doing your work.

Worse still to carry a camera and filming your workers without permission.

Sure, we can all say they have something to hide. Won't you do the same ?

You don't get it at all.

I'm talking about ADs that insist you need to use their workshop for servicing. If you go outside, you lose the warranty, which can mean years of risk. This applies even to ADs that don't typically bundle in free servicing (like Cycle).

In which case, the owner is forced to use the AD workshop to preserve the warranty. Even if they disconnect the car cam. And if they damage the cam and/or the car in the process, good luck getting fair compensation. It's not worth the hassle.

You can choose to put your trust in everybody. Or you can be a discerning consumer and be more selective. Even doctors (still considered to be among the most trustworthy professions) are not given blind trust by their patients, and that's actually a good thing.

There are two aspects to my discomfiture. The first is simply that I don't want them messing around with things in my car that don't concern them (I've already highlighted the damage wrought by one such cack-handed tech). The second is that I want to see what's being done to my car. I don't treat my cars as simple conveyances. They represent far more to me than that, and I'm sure the same applies to many other vehicle owners. People can have as much attachment to their cars as to their homes, and I'm sure you won't hire a cleaning service that tells you to get out of the house (not just the room they happen to be cleaning at the time) and deactivate all security cameras before they touch your house?

I don't insist on a recording if I'm able to see what's being done to my car. At many private workshops I am fully able to scrutinise what's being done.

I'm an auto enthusiast, even if I'm not an expert. I have been able to find issues with what's being done with my car - e.g. failure to turn off the electrical system before messing with the electrics. These errors are definitely acknowledged by the staff, and I don't press the issue.

It's not limited to cars. In my real sphere of expertise (medical), I've seen quite a few major issues occurring right in front of my eyes. When my wife was hospitalised some time ago, I insisted on being in the room when the nurses were tending to her. They tried to perform a procedure completely wrongly (and in a hazardous fashion), and I immediately called them out on it. There would have been significant risks to my wife if I hadn't been there.

You still think every service provider out there is completely trustworthy? If so, good luck to you.

I don't see why you're so defensive of this bad habit of car workshops anyway. What's your stake in it?

• Praise 2

If only all AD have a viewing window for customer to view the car while they relax in ac room.. Drinking coffee.. That will be great.

Oh someone say VW have it rite.. Hope other AD can follow their style!

• Praise 1

polish it out.

shaking leg?

easier say than done.

I once sat down with the supervisor and check what needs to be done.

I review the scope. Swee, I told them to avoid ambiguity, please provide supervision.

The car went in. The supervisor did not supervise because he was busy. The worker that was scheduled to perform the work felt not necessary for him to do the job and pass to another worker to do the job.

The car came back with extra screws and fitted up poorly with respray color out and the preparation of the body parts was not done.

In the end, the car was handed back worst than when it went in.

Sometimes it's the bloody process and the mentality of not doing things right, but with the mentality of we have been doing it for the longest time. 

And when I ask for accountability, they say it's consider within an acceptable job. 

Sometimes the workers need a car for errands or for lunch. Cover cam and drive off, so won't reveal their favourite makan place.

• Praise 1

easier say than done.

I once sat down with the supervisor and check what needs to be done.

I review the scope. Swee, I told them to avoid ambiguity, please provide supervision.

The car went in. The supervisor did not supervise because he was busy. The worker that was scheduled to perform the work felt not necessary for him to do the job and pass to another worker to do the job.

The car came back with extra screws and fitted up poorly with respray color out and the preparation of the body parts was not done.

In the end, the car was handed back worst than when it went in.

Sometimes it's the bloody process and the mentality of not doing things right, but with the mentality of we have been doing it for the longest time. 

And when I ask for accountability, they say it's consider within an acceptable job. 

People get the service they deserve.

No happy take your business else where.

Very simple.

• Praise 3

You don't get it at all.

I'm talking about ADs that insist you need to use their workshop for servicing. If you go outside, you lose the warranty, which can mean years of risk. This applies even to ADs that don't typically bundle in free servicing (like Cycle).

In which case, the owner is forced to use the AD workshop to preserve the warranty. Even if they disconnect the car cam. And if they damage the cam and/or the car in the process, good luck getting fair compensation. It's not worth the hassle.

You can choose to put your trust in everybody. Or you can be a discerning consumer and be more selective. Even doctors (still considered to be among the most trustworthy professions) are not given blind trust by their patients, and that's actually a good thing.

There are two aspects to my discomfiture. The first is simply that I don't want them messing around with things in my car that don't concern them (I've already highlighted the damage wrought by one such cack-handed tech). The second is that I want to see what's being done to my car. I don't treat my cars as simple conveyances. They represent far more to me than that, and I'm sure the same applies to many other vehicle owners. People can have as much attachment to their cars as to their homes, and I'm sure you won't hire a cleaning service that tells you to get out of the house (not just the room they happen to be cleaning at the time) and deactivate all security cameras before they touch your house?

I don't insist on a recording if I'm able to see what's being done to my car. At many private workshops I am fully able to scrutinise what's being done.

I'm an auto enthusiast, even if I'm not an expert. I have been able to find issues with what's being done with my car - e.g. failure to turn off the electrical system before messing with the electrics. These errors are definitely acknowledged by the staff, and I don't press the issue.

It's not limited to cars. In my real sphere of expertise (medical), I've seen quite a few major issues occurring right in front of my eyes. When my wife was hospitalised some time ago, I insisted on being in the room when the nurses were tending to her. They tried to perform a procedure completely wrongly (and in a hazardous fashion), and I immediately called them out on it. There would have been significant risks to my wife if I hadn't been there.

You still think every service provider out there is completely trustworthy? If so, good luck to you.

I don't see why you're so defensive of this bad habit of car workshops anyway. What's your stake in it?

I don't think every service provider is trustworthy. That's why I diy whenever I can. [;)]

I have no stake in any workshop, nor endorsed any "bad" habits of theirs. I'm just voicing the other side's POV.

As to whether AD or other w/s, they may choose to block car cam to protect themselves, whether we like it or not.

Edited by Kb27

polish it out.

shaking leg?

Yeap, the management should enforced correct training, eradicate poor/bad habits, even using the wrong tools for the job.

But grease monkeys indeed are what they are.

With my limited engagement with a couple of workshops, most often grease monkeys leave bcuz the job is "too hard", working hours too long, pay too low.

They might get a scolding from a manager every now and then.

But they don't normally last long anyway in that w/s.

To the manager/boss, all he cares about is business, time and resources.

And limited exposure to customer complains.

• Praise 1

Sorry, if I come across as pitching for the w/s or AD.

The fact is, every businesses will try to protect their own interest.

Even a surgeon will not broadcast to the world how he does every surgery, In case, whoops he made a mistake and tries to cover up.

So yes, everyone tries to cover up.

Everyone has something to hide.  [;)]

A car cam operating in a w/s is a deadly informer.

And it must be stopped.

If you're a smart guru, let them stopped a useless cam.

Hide another operating one where no one can see.

is it common practice for car agents to cover up the car camera during servicing and oil change?

What's there to hide, unless they have something to hide - eg. mishandling of car, driving recklessly within the premise, certain parts never change or check, mechanics taking a nap in the car with air con turned on, taking the car out to buy lunch etc.

If I'm the agent workshop, I'd just disconnect car battery during servicing

People get the service they deserve.

No happy take your business else where.

Very simple.

no choice. Under warranty. Else I would take my business elsewhere.

2 items.

1. Sometimes people get upset that the car appt is 8am. But the car is only started to perform servicing at 4pm and handed to you at 5pm.

2. Car sometimes record awkward moments. Like people lean on your car or radio turn on or to a worst extend, mechanic sleeping in your car.

So yes, they will unplug or cover the camera to avoid being on Stomp and loose their job.

For PML they will plug off the power cable. I think they dont want let ppl see their work progress.

And i can accept if appt 8am and start work at 12pm to let engine cool down first but agree if at 4pm then quite annoying.

↡ Advertisement