Got bicycle, will travel.

The_Bear

I remember one of the happiest and most exciting time when I was a kid was when my parents bring us cycling at East Coast Park on weekends. The rush of speed and sense of adventure that the 2 wheels can bring. Nearly 4 decades later, I finally got myself a bicycle and it has been another adventure on 2 wheels for the last few months. First I rode around the estate, then to the next estate. 10km became 20km. 20 became 40. Before I knew it, I wanted to do a round the island. And round the island I did, alone, with my bicycle. It's about 125km if u ask.

This article, I wish to provide some basic information to anyone who is interested in getting their first bicycle after a long long time and getting on the road to anywhere. I am not an expert but I have done some kilometeres on my bicycle the last few months. There are a wealth of information on bicycle and cycling by experts and people who knows much more on the net. I am sharing my personal experience of starting off on the bike for someone who started with zero knowledge.

1) Type of Bicycle

Depending on who you ask, buying a bicycle can be as easy as buying an apple from NTUC or as complicated as buying a car. I will keep it simple here. Get a Hybrid. With all the different classifications of bikes, it seems a daunting task to choose one that suits your need. Thinking we are clever, we go google. Head explodes. Let me make it simple. Most of us will be planning to ride on the PCN, around the estate, try to stay off the road, on the pavement, sometimes on the grass patch. A hybrid is all you need. It is versatile and basic for beginners. You might want to move on to more specific types later on depending on your interest. Most people tends to gravitate towards Mountain Bike because they think it is the one bike fits all solution. It is not wrong but the way I see it, a hybrid makes more sense for beginner cyclist in SG. Everything else being equal, a hybrid is easier to ride with it's slimmer tyres and upright position. Tyre width of 32-40mm seems to be a good trade off between comfort and rolling resistant for a beginner. Most of the hybrids are 700c diameter. Which is sort of equilvalent to 29".

2) Brand / Price (it is not THAT expensive)

After getting your first bike, there are 2 ways this could go. If you liked it, this will not be your last bike. If you don't like it, this will be your last bike. What I want to say is don't overspend on the first bike. You can pick up a Hybrid from NTUC and GIANT(the supermarket) for less than $300. I wouldn't advise. There are many affordable hybrids from reputable brands such as TREK, POLYGON, GIANT(not the supermarket), MERIDA etc. They will do bike fitting for you and some basic set up. You could get a very decent (but basic) bike for less than $1k. I am riding a Polygon Heist 2 which cost less than $600. You can see it here http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2705946-got-bicycle-will-travel/?p=6202970. I linked the OZ website because it has more details. SG dealer's website http://store.rodalink.com.sg/2016-heist-2.0-26/

Notice I don't talk much about bike weight. Many purists will see it as an important criteria. Even the ignorant will echo this sentiment. Light weight is good, if u intend to go really fast and far. For every Kg shaved, the cost goes up exponentially. Most of the bikes mentioned afore is in the range of 12-14kg. Not exactly light. I dun want to sound rude but with the rider, most of the weight penalty is the rider. In a way, a heavier bike makes u push harder thus losing the KGs faster. One stone, 2 birds.

3) Components

The key word among enthuaist, professionals And the show-offs. Shimano, Shimano and more Shimanos. I have no doubts these are critical. But for a beginner, keep it simple. Entry level components will do the trick.

4) Accessories

2 words - 淘宝. Lights, bags, bells, bottle cages. Search 自行车, thats what they call it in China.

Front lights - You can generalize under 2 categories

a) To be seen - Increases your visibilty to other road users. Preferably blinking. Usually lower powered and small.

B) To see ahead - This is where u start talking serious lumens. I dun recommend to get from taobao as my experience is that their power source is still unreliable. We dun really need a powerful front beam in SG riding but I need to admit I have a fetish for flashlights. A good flash light with high output, endurance and linear delivery will set u back $120 - $200. I am using a Bontrager 700 lumens. I like overkill. Frankly, 100lumens is sufficient for general riding in SG. Really.

Back light - As a driver, I hate low vis cyclist. So I have at least 2 rear lights. Flashing to increase visibilty and non-flashing for others to easier judge my speed and path. I have another smaller one on my helmet as it is the highest point and most visible from far.

Bike Computer - Not necessary but I like numbers. Cateye Velo wireless is a simple and robust unit. About $50+ including set up and installation.

5) Attire

PT kit. Avoid shorts with too loose crotch as it can get caught on the seat front. Leave the spandex, clip ons to the professionals. You are not going that fast and far yet. Other than Taobao, Decathlon is a good place to pick up those stuffs. Helmet, glove, padded pants etc. Wear bright clothings, that is common sense. It gives you the excuse to wear that gaudy orange Tee or that shocking pink top you always wanted to release your inner Ah Lian.

6) Storage and Transport

Again Taobao. Free standing bicycle racks. I have a pole mounted stand for 2 bikes.

For transport, Saris bike rear bike rack. After some practics, i can mount the rack and 2 bikes with my missus in 6.5 minutes. Yes, bicycles can be a hassle to store in our pigeon hole but that is the way it is.

7) Make a plan, go somewhere.

I live in Sembawang. Everywhere is far. It is no fun cycling in circles. I made plans to go somewhere. Semabwang beach - Yishun - Woodlands waterfront - Coney Island - Changi Village. Each time further, looping back via East Coast and town. Go somewhere, eat something. You will be surprised how much more u see on 2 wheels.

8) and finally, be safe and ride safe. Here are some of the latest guideline from the Gov.

https://www.gov.sg/factually/content/how-are-we-keeping-our-footpaths-cycling-paths-and-roads-safe

http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle/laws-cyclists-ought-know

Eventually, you might get on the road. It is faster and in a way, safer on certain stretches. Ride like the way you would want other riders to be when you drive.

I hope all this will make it easier to get started on cycling for someone looking to do it. The main thing here is not to overthink about the bicycle and stuffs but to just get a bike and cycle the shit out of it. From there on, it will be another journey of discovery to your next bike.[/quote.

TS Swee

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Something to add though I am not a cyclst. The front light to see ahead topic. Kindly advice cyclist to point it towards to ground ahead instead of straight ahead. As a jogger it is quite annoying to have those cree lamp shining directly in your eyes

I suspect they purposely shine to see approaching female joggers.

Dunno shine so high for what.

When I used to do night cycling, only shine about 5-10 meters on the road ahead.

Some of us the first bike was always too big, and had to insert one leg under the top bar of an adult bike!

Happiest day was when i got a used:

post-128138-0-57486800-1503937789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 11

Some of us the first bike was always too big, and had to insert one leg under the top bar of an adult bike!

Happiest day was when i got a used:

your_n32.jpg

I actually learn cycling with this bicycle borrowed from my friend in late 70s [sweatdrop]
  • Praise 1

I cycled with a below $300 bicycle bought at Carrefour. Used it for 15 years, just change wear and tear items like chain pedals tyres.

Got into my fair share of accidents. From being cock eye and didn't see pothole or big branch on the road to kena hit and run.

Can never forget the hit and run. Was only 16 then. Wide open road with 4 empty lanes and this taxi kept tailgate behind and horn at me even though I was riding on the double yellow line. Then he overtook me and can hear him revving and accelerating his car. His wing mirror clipped my handle bar and sent me flying through the air and landed on my head.

This old uncle riding a vespa came to help me up. He called the police and asked me can remember the taxi car plate number or not cos he couldn't see properly. Well I didn't see the car plate number too as I was busy shitting my pants while I was airborne.

Put me off cycling on the roads for a while. That was like around 12 years ago.

Last year finally decided to change a new bicycle.

Tern Joe P27.

• Praise 3

attachicon.gifIMG_0141.PNG

Round-the-island route on Mapometer. Starting from Labrador Park, clockwise. We kicked off at 2pm and finished at 1am. 11 hours but we took many breaks for photos, rest, water. I plan to start at 2pm so I can finish the western sector and Neo Tiew in daylight (Neo Tiew only road on 2 way street). We got back to Sembawang around 6pm. Change of clothes, fill up water, some snacks etc. The rest of the 65km is mostly on PCN and darkness but at least not that hot.

Dinner at Jalan Tebing, sugar cane juice at Changi Village and more sugar cane juice at Laguna hawker. The new extended corridor at Changi coast road now adds about 5km to the loop.

Pain everywhere the next 4 days. Places you never knew muscles existed.

Thanks for sharing. You bring back the memory in my younger days, cycling to poly from home (~15Km), night cycling with classmates to LCK cemetry, round island cycling (72 Km) with wife (event organized by CC), starting from Bukit Batok to Changi... ... Those were the days. -_-

And indeed, without proper preparation, the pain in the butt and body ache is real horrible! Now backside feeling itchy again, may start training up for another cycling session. [laugh]

• Praise 7

very interesting write up, u got my interest to ride again which i have not done for over 10 plus years... [thumbsup]

I remember one of the happiest and most exciting time when I was a kid was when my parents bring us cycling at East Coast Park on weekends. The rush of speed and sense of adventure that the 2 wheels can bring. Nearly 4 decades later, I finally got myself a bicycle and it has been another adventure on 2 wheels for the last few months. First I rode around the estate, then to the next estate. 10km became 20km. 20 became 40. Before I knew it, I wanted to do a round the island. And round the island I did, alone, with my bicycle. It's about 125km if u ask.

This article, I wish to provide some basic information to anyone who is interested in getting their first bicycle after a long long time and getting on the road to anywhere. I am not an expert but I have done some kilometeres on my bicycle the last few months. There are a wealth of information on bicycle and cycling by experts and people who knows much more on the net. I am sharing my personal experience of starting off on the bike for someone who started with zero knowledge.

1) Type of Bicycle
Depending on who you ask, buying a bicycle can be as easy as buying an apple from NTUC or as complicated as buying a car. I will keep it simple here. Get a Hybrid. With all the different classifications of bikes, it seems a daunting task to choose one that suits your need. Thinking we are clever, we go google. Head explodes. Let me make it simple. Most of us will be planning to ride on the PCN, around the estate, try to stay off the road, on the pavement, sometimes on the grass patch. A hybrid is all you need. It is versatile and basic for beginners. You might want to move on to more specific types later on depending on your interest. Most people tends to gravitate towards Mountain Bike because they think it is the one bike fits all solution. It is not wrong but the way I see it, a hybrid makes more sense for beginner cyclist in SG. Everything else being equal, a hybrid is easier to ride with it's slimmer tyres and upright position. Tyre width of 32-40mm seems to be a good trade off between comfort and rolling resistant for a beginner. Most of the hybrids are 700c diameter. Which is sort of equilvalent to 29".

2) Brand / Price (it is not THAT expensive)
After getting your first bike, there are 2 ways this could go. If you liked it, this will not be your last bike. If you don't like it, this will be your last bike. What I want to say is don't overspend on the first bike. You can pick up a Hybrid from NTUC and GIANT(the supermarket) for less than $300. I wouldn't advise. There are many affordable hybrids from reputable brands such as TREK, POLYGON, GIANT(not the supermarket), MERIDA etc. They will do bike fitting for you and some basic set up. You could get a very decent (but basic) bike for less than $1k. I am riding a Polygon Heist 2 which cost less than $600. You can see it here http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2705946-got-bicycle-will-travel/?p=6202970. I linked the OZ website because it has more details. SG dealer's website http://store.rodalink.com.sg/2016-heist-2.0-26/

Notice I don't talk much about bike weight. Many purists will see it as an important criteria. Even the ignorant will echo this sentiment. Light weight is good, if u intend to go really fast and far. For every Kg shaved, the cost goes up exponentially. Most of the bikes mentioned afore is in the range of 12-14kg. Not exactly light. I dun want to sound rude but with the rider, most of the weight penalty is the rider. In a way, a heavier bike makes u push harder thus losing the KGs faster. One stone, 2 birds.

3) Components
The key word among enthuaist, professionals And the show-offs. Shimano, Shimano and more Shimanos. I have no doubts these are critical. But for a beginner, keep it simple. Entry level components will do the trick.

4) Accessories
2 words - 淘宝. Lights, bags, bells, bottle cages. Search 自行车, thats what they call it in China.

Front lights - You can generalize under 2 categories
a) To be seen - Increases your visibilty to other road users. Preferably blinking. Usually lower powered and small.
B) To see ahead - This is where u start talking serious lumens. I dun recommend to get from taobao as my experience is that their power source is still unreliable. We dun really need a powerful front beam in SG riding but I need to admit I have a fetish for flashlights. A good flash light with high output, endurance and linear delivery will set u back $120 - $200. I am using a Bontrager 700 lumens. I like overkill. Frankly, 100lumens is sufficient for general riding in SG. Really.

Back light - As a driver, I hate low vis cyclist. So I have at least 2 rear lights. Flashing to increase visibilty and non-flashing for others to easier judge my speed and path. I have another smaller one on my helmet as it is the highest point and most visible from far.

Bike Computer - Not necessary but I like numbers. Cateye Velo wireless is a simple and robust unit. About $50+ including set up and installation.

5) Attire
PT kit. Avoid shorts with too loose crotch as it can get caught on the seat front. Leave the spandex, clip ons to the professionals. You are not going that fast and far yet. Other than Taobao, Decathlon is a good place to pick up those stuffs. Helmet, glove, padded pants etc. Wear bright clothings, that is common sense. It gives you the excuse to wear that gaudy orange Tee or that shocking pink top you always wanted to release your inner Ah Lian.

6) Storage and Transport
Again Taobao. Free standing bicycle racks. I have a pole mounted stand for 2 bikes.
For transport, Saris bike rear bike rack. After some practics, i can mount the rack and 2 bikes with my missus in 6.5 minutes. Yes, bicycles can be a hassle to store in our pigeon hole but that is the way it is.

7) Make a plan, go somewhere.
I live in Sembawang. Everywhere is far. It is no fun cycling in circles. I made plans to go somewhere. Semabwang beach - Yishun - Woodlands waterfront - Coney Island - Changi Village. Each time further, looping back via East Coast and town. Go somewhere, eat something. You will be surprised how much more u see on 2 wheels.

8) and finally, be safe and ride safe. Here are some of the latest guideline from the Gov.
https://www.gov.sg/factually/content/how-are-we-keeping-our-footpaths-cycling-paths-and-roads-safe
http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle/laws-cyclists-ought-know
Eventually, you might get on the road. It is faster and in a way, safer on certain stretches. Ride like the way you would want other riders to be when you drive.

I hope all this will make it easier to get started on cycling for someone looking to do it. The main thing here is not to overthink about the bicycle and stuffs but to just get a bike and cycle the shit out of it. From there on, it will be another journey of discovery to your next bike.

• Praise 9

so.. now .. we know.. why you disappeared for so long and lost so much weight!!! :XD:

I have lost about 10kg since I started cycling. One of the good thing about cycling is after u go 30km, shag or otherwise, you have to come back.

• Praise 1

wah Hi Five. But i better learn before my daughter does. Or else malu max  [laugh]

get a ninebot bro.  Cool n easy to learn.

• Praise 1

Subscribed!!!

I used to cycle to all over SG on Saturdays, way back in 1998 to 2002.

I just took out my Hachiko foldable bike to pump the tires and rode in circles around my living room last sunday. This bike is brand new since 4 years ago!!! Havent touch the floor outside my front door. Bought it and always wanted to try cycling on the PCN but gave up.

• Praise 3

The Pro has spoken. Please share with us more your 2 wheels experience.

I restart my cycling passion with folding bike call Strida.  It is out necessity for daily commuting to work.  From daily commuting, i moved on to long distance riding around Singapore.  After that, we even took bump boat to Pengerang. Pengerang to Sungai Rengit to Pengerang in a day to catch the last bump boat.

From thereon, i bought another folding bike call Bike Friday from US.  I need something faster.  I used this bike for some years.  Until i bought Brompton.  As the parts from Bike Friday is crap, i had upgraded the brake & gear over time.  Parts can get it from Chain Reaction Cycle when on sales.  I also change the pedal to MTB clipless.

I had brought Brompton to Penang & Ho Chi Minh City for City riding.  It is very easy to travel with Brompton.  I only change the saddle, pedal, elastomer & Brake Cable (vanity purpose).

In late 2015, after searching for 6 mths (what to buy for my 1st road bike), i bought Cannondale CAAD10.  It is 1 of the best Aluminium roadbike in the market.

I have been riding this bike around Beijing since i moved here.  The only upgrade is Carbon wheel.  I buckle my Aluminium wheel in an accident.

• Praise 2

I know some people ride there then take taxi come back. [laugh]

How to fit the bike into the taxi? Got such services?

Subscribed!!!

I used to cycle to all over SG on Saturdays, way back in 1998 to 2002.

I just took out my Hachiko foldable bike to pump the tires and rode in circles around my living room last sunday. This bike is brand new since 4 years ago!!! Havent touch the floor outside my front door. Bought it and always wanted to try cycling on the PCN but gave up.

The PCN in Sembawang is pretty much complete and connected to Woodlands, Mandai and Yishun.

Twincharged

First bike I used to ride everywhere was a urata bike. Rode it from Primary school all the way till I was in poly. Cheap and heavy. Had a few accidents on that bike. Worst one was riding head on into a car in a carpark when I was Primary 3 or 4. Flew over the car, broke off the guy's front bumper and dented his bonnet. I think the guy was in shock and never say anything even after I picked up my bike and rode off.

Bent the frame when I was in sec 2 by riding into a wall. Continued riding with the bent frame for the next 3 years then I decided to save up and got a proper hardtail MTB.

• Praise 2

wah, just when i posted my bike for sale on MCF marketplace, i see this thread.

i used to ride every week, and like how i like to mod cars, i like to experience different bikes. so i had 5 bikes in 3 years (bought and sold) lol. First bike was an Eddy Merckx, then a Bianchi Oltre, a Colnago C59, a Focus Cayo and then my current Storck.

Each bike gives a different feel, especially chionging up the slopes of NUS and Lor Sesuai, or sprinting through the straights of Changi Coastal Road. I loved the Bianchi best for its design in signature "Celeste" colour and my Storck for its performance - it's good for chionging!

Round island rides gave me so much insight about places in Singapore that i've not gone before. Lor Sesuai, Rifle Range Rd, end of old Punggol, LCK etc. Took some nice pix with some excellent scenery.

Enjoyed the group camaraderie of riding, and was crazy enough to draft behind a truck at more than 50kmh along Upper Bukit Timah Road.

But alas, I am giving up cycling as my hips somehow hurt after i did the 168km NTU bike rally in march this year. Walking and running is fine, but when doing the pedaling action it hurts.

Therefore, i'm letting go of my baby, a custom build with only high end parts which i did just for the 168 distance. MCF bros get a discount :)

mods sorry if i flouted any rules.. please edit if you deem fit.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=sgcarstore&req=showprod&product=118758&fr=postad

post-1798-0-19321000-1503978703_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 5

well, seems like biking is catching up. I have a Brompton now for 2 years, started after I scrapped my bB.

riding work to home twice a week, transporting the 

We have 3 folding bikes. 2 Aleoca, and one polygon. Seldom ride them.

If my son wanna bike during a family pcn outing, we just rent a obike. Lazy to bring out the folding bike.

↡ Advertisement