Next Car: Must be Turbo, SUV

MQX87511

Worst SUV? in what aspect compare to Jpn SUV? Never drive one , but like the tough look and clean design interior haha.

Yes i also like the car at first look but upon drive, its like riding a horse in a straight smooth road lol
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Apologies, but I am going to be blunt here. I really think you need to update your mindset and cast aside your ancient prejudices about Korean makes as they are on-par if not slightly ahead of their Japanese counterparts in terms of car reliability, performance, trim levels, build quality and most importantly for you, affordability.

I have just returned home from the car showrooms and I have test driven the following SUVs today:

1. Subaru Forester XT 2.5AT AWD
  2. Kia Sportage 2.0 Turbo Petrol
  3. Kia Sorento 2.2 Turbo Diesel
  4. Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 Petrol

Out of the 4, I would rank (at a high level) the driving experience, power, economy and affordability as follows:

1. Kia Sorento - powerful diesel engine delivers smooth, gratifying power without significant turbo lag and interior trim is comparable to that of most Japanese and Continental cars. No wonder it is a huge hit in Australia, UK and US.
  2. Subaru Forester XT - powerful boxer engine delivers smooth power with little effort but interior trim is obviously very basic as compared to the Kia & Outlander. Plastics all round gives it more Korean feel than Japanese quality which is largely disappointing.
  3. Kia Sportage - slick handling SUV with decent power and high-end interior trim that surpasses the Subaru & Outlander. Comfortable and affordable at 120K before discounts.
  4. Mitsubishi Outlander - disappointing and has a very bread-butter SUV feel. Interior trim is much better than the Subaru but pales in comparison the Kia.

Go take a look, test drive it and have a feel for yourself. I am very sure you will be gobsmacked at how advanced the Kia feels as compared to the Subaru FXT and the Outlander - and you can get it for a very attractive price. As for your AWD desire - are you planning to go offroad anytime soon? If not, why bother?

Another point to note is the OMV. Do you know that the OMV for the Kia Sorento is at 30K (sale price@145K), whereas the Outlander is at 23K (sale price@130K) and the Subaru Forester is at 21K (sale price@132K).

Disclaimer: I am just a family man who is out hunting for a replacement car ahead of the upcoming (stupid) tax in January and sharing the fruits of my test drives.

The following is what I heard from somebody say one. Tiagong...but got link I can provide to back it up.

Eh Hem...Korean cars can get the best car design award and whatever...coz they hire the ang moh car designer previously working from a German car maker. BUT when it comes to engine awards they are nowhere to be seen. Prove.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Engine_of_the_Year

So they put in the luxury, bells and whistles and even extended warranty into their cars. Hoping to entice Japanese/Conti car fans. The thing is will car buyers bite? Maybe they are gaining market share in the US. You know the ppl in the US abit not happy they sue, something go south they also sue. In Singapore once you sign the dotted line you are stuck with what you bought. [laugh]

I dunno why ppl like forester. I see the design is the most cmi among suv in its class. Only good thing about it is got turbo thats all. Pricing wise yes its competitive but looking at omv and its design of interior and exterior, i rather put my money on other suv. Moreover subaru is not a brand i fond of. I would get the outlander although old engine or new tucson much nicer than forester.

Have to agree with Thaiyotakamli.... Disco sport is the entry level to the LR badge... And the interior and fit & finish tells. Press on panels can creak and move by at least 5mm.... [sweatdrop].... Show to SE, he just gave an embarrassed smile...  :D

Just go test drive one and go to the Evoque parked beside in the showroom and you will see, feel the difference. 

Worst SUV? in what aspect compare to Jpn SUV? Never drive one , but like the tough look and clean design interior haha.

Can I also be blunt and welcome you to the Sorento Family?  [wave]

Apologies, but I am going to be blunt here. I really think you need to update your mindset and cast aside your ancient prejudices about Korean makes as they are on-par if not slightly ahead of their Japanese counterparts in terms of car reliability, performance, trim levels, build quality and most importantly for you, affordability.

I have just returned home from the car showrooms and I have test driven the following SUVs today:

1. Subaru Forester XT 2.5AT AWD
  2. Kia Sportage 2.0 Turbo Petrol
  3. Kia Sorento 2.2 Turbo Diesel
  4. Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 Petrol

Out of the 4, I would rank (at a high level) the driving experience, power, economy and affordability as follows:

1. Kia Sorento - powerful diesel engine delivers smooth, gratifying power without significant turbo lag and interior trim is comparable to that of most Japanese and Continental cars. No wonder it is a huge hit in Australia, UK and US.
  2. Subaru Forester XT - powerful boxer engine delivers smooth power with little effort but interior trim is obviously very basic as compared to the Kia & Outlander. Plastics all round gives it more Korean feel than Japanese quality which is largely disappointing.
  3. Kia Sportage - slick handling SUV with decent power and high-end interior trim that surpasses the Subaru & Outlander. Comfortable and affordable at 120K before discounts.
  4. Mitsubishi Outlander - disappointing and has a very bread-butter SUV feel. Interior trim is much better than the Subaru but pales in comparison the Kia.

Go take a look, test drive it and have a feel for yourself. I am very sure you will be gobsmacked at how advanced the Kia feels as compared to the Subaru FXT and the Outlander - and you can get it for a very attractive price. As for your AWD desire - are you planning to go offroad anytime soon? If not, why bother?

Another point to note is the OMV. Do you know that the OMV for the Kia Sorento is at 30K (sale price@145K), whereas the Outlander is at 23K (sale price@130K) and the Subaru Forester is at 21K (sale price@132K).

Disclaimer: I am just a family man who is out hunting for a replacement car ahead of the upcoming (stupid) tax in January and sharing the fruits of my test drives.

Have to agree with Thaiyotakamli.... Disco sport is the entry level to the LR badge... And the interior and fit & finish tells. Press on panels can creak and move by at least 5mm.... [sweatdrop].... Show to SE, he just gave an embarrassed smile... :D

Just go test drive one and go to the Evoque parked beside in the showroom and you will see, feel the difference.

I went to checkout the LR Disco Sport. Walked out 5 mins later n scratch my head why would anyone pay more for this compared to a Sorento. And spare me the badge bit pls....

I went to checkout the LR Disco Sport. Walked out 5 mins later n scratch my head why would anyone pay more for this compared to a Sorento. And spare me the badge bit pls....

I won't spare u.

Cos of the badge ! U know. It's a LR. UK .. I mean Indian

I dunno why ppl like forester. I see the design is the most cmi among suv in its class. Only good thing about it is got turbo thats all. Pricing wise yes its competitive but looking at omv and its design of interior and exterior, i rather put my money on other suv. Moreover subaru is not a brand i fond of. I would get the outlander although old engine or new tucson much nicer than forester.

It all depends on your expectations on cars. The Forester's design is conservative but fits the contemporary rugged look of an Off-roading capable SUV. It walked the talk.

The rest are,good to see but, not much substance inside. Calling them crossovers are more fitting than an SUV. And to see them lugging on the roads pretending to look like an SUV baffles me. Might as well get a sleeker Wagon or the old school sedan.

One might argue we don't need a AWD SUV in SG, but with that argument we don't need faux SUVs in SG too.

For me, I love driving and Subaru delivers that driving experience that not many can...

Looks can go dated in 2 to 3 years, just like how the Vezel goes from "wow" to "meh" in 2 years, but performance of the Forester is here to stay till scrap or beyond.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 7

1. Forester XT (wait for new gen launching next year)

Pros: Attractive price, Powerful engine, fast acceleration, specious interior, AWD

Cons: High FC, High Insurance, CVT, Burn engine oil (Hear said), Subaru Badge (ah Beng)

Kindly advise Which one should I...

That's quite misinformation there:

High FC - expected for a 2.0 Turbo with AWD. It's how much you willing to buffer for it. it's 9km/l bad?

High Insurance - I'm paying 1k which quite typical for my age for a 2.0 car. It's a Forester not a WRX.

CVT - Chain driven CVT feels different from the rubberband like CVT of the old days, give it a testdrive to know why some say FXT pickup better that Harrier Turbo.

Burn engine oil - Perhaps in older Subarus, the current foresters are okay so far.

Badge (ah beng) - That's a stigma you have to overcome yourself. For me it's very simple. If I buy car to show off, I'd avoid Subaru but I buy car to enjoy driving... So any Tom dick harry brand I don't care. Hyundai, Suzuki, Mitsubishi and all.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 2

Forester XT indeed attractive price, it's in my top list of options, but in my impression, Subaru owners always paid more attention on his car then his job, such as modify engine increasing performance, adding performance parts etc., as a executive professional definitely I have no so much time on my car than my job, the car should service me not I service it, this is why I choose Honda or Toyota in past decade,

People modify their car to improve it, not to fix broken things. Subaru happen to have tonnes of 3rd party options to mod because there is a fanbase and wide ownership worldwide.

Try finding things to modify for a Ford Kuga or a Hyundai Tucson.

But if you leave your car stock like a Toyota, the Forester will not break.

You are talking to a guy who own a unmodified Forester for 2 years. I don't see my car falling apart....lol

• Praise 1

Downgrade a bit... Indent the new 2.0 NA XV Crosstrek with 6-speeder manual transmission.

Ooops....

When I heard Subaru dropped the 6MT for Europe market, but make it available on the American market, really LOL... :XD:

SUBAROOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Can I also be blunt and welcome you to the Sorento Family?  [wave]

LOL. That's a tad premature. Wife is not completely sold on it yet. And then there's the mom factor.

It all depends on your expectations on cars. The Forester's design is conservative but fits the contemporary rugged look of an Off-roading capable SUV. It walked the talk.

The rest are,good to see but, not much substance inside. Calling them crossovers are more fitting than an SUV. And to see them lugging on the roads pretending to look like an SUV baffles me. Might as well get a sleeker Wagon or the old school sedan.

One might argue we don't need a AWD SUV in SG, but with that argument we don't need faux SUVs in SG too.

For me, I love driving and Subaru delivers that driving experience that not many can...

Looks can go dated in 2 to 3 years, just like how the Vezel goes from "wow" to "meh" in 2 years, but performance of the Forester is here to stay till scrap or beyond.

I think diff person diff requirememt or need. Maybe forester doesnt appeal me but appeal others. No right or wrong just go along with what u want :)
  • Praise 2

The following is what I heard from somebody say one. Tiagong...but got link I can provide to back it up.

Eh Hem...Korean cars can get the best car design award and whatever...coz they hire the ang moh car designer previously working from a German car maker. BUT when it comes to engine awards they are nowhere to be seen. Prove.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Engine_of_the_Year

So they put in the luxury, bells and whistles and even extended warranty into their cars. Hoping to entice Japanese/Conti car fans. The thing is will car buyers bite? Maybe they are gaining market share in the US. You know the ppl in the US abit not happy they sue, something go south they also sue. In Singapore once you sign the dotted line you are stuck with what you bought. [laugh]

No problem - that's why having a forum where differing opinions can meet is so fun! If you went through the list, you would see that Alfa has won awards multiple times (8 to be exact). But why is their reliability then being constantly under fire still?

The award-winning 2.5L engine in the FXT was circa. 2006. Whilst it still delivers a punch today, we can't help but wonder why there has been no further evolution to the engine?

Truth be told, whilst Kia's (actually Hyundai's) engines have not won any awards - they serve their purpose in being hardy, resilient engines. Did you know that they started their roots as Mitsubishi engines? In fact the EF Sonatas had the EVO engine in them - minus the turbo attached. Those are great roots and we cannot overlook how far the Koreans have innovated and done their best to constantly improve on their product offerings.

Give them a chance and they might surprise you. Pleasantly.

↡ Advertisement