VW Golf Update: 2017 Sep

Ilmw

apparently so, if want wet ones, have to wait for the 1.5

I thought all the facelifted Golfs come with wet clutch? So strange if some versions come with dry whilst others come with wet?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

I thought all the facelifted Golfs come with wet clutch? So strange if some versions come with dry whilst others come with wet?

dry ones for lower torque engine applications, thus the dry 1.0L.

previous gens GTI/R using wet oso, so shouldn't be a surprise

Ok tks for info! They shld have brought in the 1.5l then, if anything to regain confidence back for the Golf which is an otherwise good car bar the GB issue. Then again I see the 1.0l being sold at $105k, so the 1.5l would likely be $10k more? in which case it wouldn’t be priced competitively.

• Praise 4

Supercharged

Ok tks for info! They shld have brought in the 1.5l then, if anything to regain confidence back for the Golf which is an otherwise good car bar the GB issue. Then again I see the 1.0l being sold at $105k, so the 1.5l would likely be $10k more? in which case it wouldnât be priced competitively.

depends on whether they bringing in the 128hp/148hp versions of the 1.5

for the record, F1 uses a dry clutch. talk about lower torque. 

f1 change parts like change underwear

but their cars are pushed to far greater limits than road cars so the more regular change is understandable. Each gearbox supposed to last around 4 races. 

The previous Ferraris till F430 all also used dry clutches. Anyway, if the concern was the dry clutch couldn't handle high torque, then it obviously isn't true. It just needs more regular parts changes. 

To put into perspective, while the wet clutch needs less regular changes, it also is a significantly more expensive part. So in the end, it doesn't have any monetary benefit over the dry. 

Edited by Felipe
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

To put into perspective, while the wet clutch needs less regular changes, it also is a significantly more expensive part. So in the end, it doesn't have any monetary benefit over the dry. 

not having gearbox die on u on the roads is a significant benefit.

• Praise 2

not having gearbox die on u on the roads is a significant benefit.

The gb won’t die on the road when clutch is wearing out. There’ll be pretty bad jerks which by then the mech will recommend to change. If it dies, it’s due to the actuators or pump which happens to either wet or dry clutch.

Of cos if it dies n u don’t change, like timing belt, then u only have yourself to blame

Supercharged

The gb wonât die on the road when clutch is wearing out. Thereâll be pretty bad jerks which by then the mech will recommend to change. If it dies, itâs due to the actuators or pump which happens to either wet or dry clutch.

Of cos if it dies n u donât change, like timing belt, then u only have yourself to blame

compare DSG failure to timing belt?

do the DSG cars that suffered failure come with owner's manual that indicate the time/mileage to service DSG so it doesn't fail, as they do in the case of timing belt?

if it doesn't, u still want to blame the owners? u VW white knight/apologist ah?

do the DSG cars that suffered failure come with owner's manual that indicate the time/mileage to service DSG so it doesn't fail, as they do in the case of timing belt?

if it doesn't, u still want to blame the owners? u VW white knight/apologist ah?

if he is an apologist, then it also means you are a basher

Edited by Enye

Did i blame vw owners? Of cos it’s not their fault.

But vw isn’t the only brand tat has problems outside of manufacturer recommended parts replacement. For eg, my relative mini need ignition coil change around 80k.

Especially on conti cars or even jap cars, not possible to state every part major or minor due to be serviced to prevent failure.

If stating what practically happens to many brands make me a vw white knight, then i guess im one for many car brands.

And lastly, u may wana stick with jap cars if u have tat level of perfection in terms of reliability. Even a Ferrari would leave u disappointed im afraid

if he is an apologist, then it also means you are a basher

ð

The basher doesn’t argue rationally Edited by Felipe

no timing belt. Use Timing Chain.

just that the timing chain guide is the weakest link.

Did i blame vw owners? Of cos it’s not their fault.

But vw isn’t the only brand tat has problems outside of manufacturer recommended parts replacement. For eg, my relative mini need ignition coil change around 80k.

Especially on conti cars or even jap cars, not possible to state every part major or minor due to be serviced to prevent failure.

If stating what practically happens to many brands make me a vw white knight, then i guess im one for many car brands.

And lastly, u may wana stick with jap cars if u have tat level of perfection in terms of reliability. Even a Ferrari would leave u disappointed im afraid

The basher doesn’t argue rationally

VW also need to replace coil Pack. but its not that ex. Jus change to to an upgraded S3 part or R8 part that is compatible and it should last.

I would say VW / VAG are in general have their own set of quirks. 

Audi 2.0 T with wet clutch. You would think would be utimate liao. Yes ? good interior. Reasonable gearbox. Robust engine like the GTi.

But it consumes engine oil like a RX8.

Even the latest MK7 golf and to a lesser extend Jetta have a peculiar coolant tank/ water thermostat/  water pump failure at 40,000km mark.

And we not even talking about modded Golf.

Edited by Sdf4786k

no timing belt. Use Timing Chain.

just that the timing chain guide is the weakest link.

VW also need to replace coil Pack. but its not that ex. Jus change to to an upgraded S3 part or R8 part that is compatible and it should last.

I would say VW / VAG are in general have their own set of quirks. 

Audi 2.0 T with wet clutch. You would think would be utimate liao. Yes ? good interior. Reasonable gearbox. Robust engine like the GTi.

But it consumes engine oil like a RX8.

Even the latest MK7 golf and to a lesser extend Jetta have a peculiar coolant tank/ water thermostat/  water pump failure at 40,000km mark.

And we not even talking about modded Golf.

choy choy,

mine 143 K Km, water pump still going strong, twin charged also

My GTI's water pump finally surrendered at 130k along with one of the two fans.  I reckon that some of the rubber seals are dying too as water and oil leakages are starting to surface.

I think there's no comparison with jap cars for wear and tear as the turbo stresses the parts like pipes and seals more than NA engine.

The GB and clutch still swee swee no run water hopefully it'll last until end of COE *touch wood*

Edited by Jellandross

My GTI's water pump finally surrendered at 130k along with one of the two fans. I reckon that some of the rubber seals are dying too as water and oil leakages are starting to surface.

I think there's no comparison with jap cars for wear and tear as the turbo stresses the parts like pipes and seals more than NA engine.

The GB and clutch still swee swee no run water hopefully it'll last until end of COE *touch wood*

It’s not turbo. It’s jap
↡ Advertisement