Anonymous Dislike function - Time for review?

Vratenza

Recently come across more and more disgruntled voices (some that I can think of in recent memory includes @Turboflat4, @jamesc, @eviilusion, myself) with regards to the anonymous function when giving praise or dislike, especially the dislike portion of it.

I do recognize that MCF points cannot be exchanged for grocery vouchers and one should not be overly mindful of the points since it has no impact in your real practical life what so ever.

I also recognize that anonymous function do have it's positive role and use eg. when we want to give another person further praise and need to cycle through at least 10 other person, sometimes I will use the anonymous like to give 1 point to some posts that did not particularly shout out to me but is fair in the contents. In between 5 and 1 point, given the current "market rate" , 1 point will seem a little stingy, therefore anonymous function will be useful here.

If anyone have used the dislike function before, one will know that to give a dislike, you will have to enter some reason for the dislike before the system allows you to do so. I will assume that is some sort of deterrent for wanton use of the dislike function. But frankly, is this system effective? Do the mods monitor the content entered? I did get some dislike points with the comments totally not linked to the topic the supposed anonymous person is disliking for . or Simply a "haha" or some nasty words. That to me is personal attack. And the funny thing is I have never even met the person in real life. I also realised that this function has been abused by intellectually challenged people with oversized ego to "get back at the person" when they have been out debated in the open.

If the system owner thinks that giving a dislike (reasons required) should be handled differently from giving a praise (no reasons required), then shouldn't it be time to review if anonymous function for the dislike should be abolished?

If the anonymous function for dislike is abolished, it will make people think harder if they really want to give the dislike and if they are willing to stand by their differing point of view and defend it in the open in an intellectual discussion rather than sniping in the dark.

I must come up and say outright that I myself have used the anonymous dislike function during the early days of my forum participation when I was too hot headed and taking things too seriously. I apologize sincerely to those (not that many lah [:p] ) I have given anonymous dislike to previously.

That is not something I am particularly proud of and is hoping we can make some changes for the betterment of MCF.

Edited by Vratenza
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 27
  • Dislike 5

wah lao...internet is really serious business

dislike dislike lor

anyway i never set out to make people like me or my postings

:D

• Praise 13
  • Dislike 4

Eh....i dont mind tio dislike lei because that means the idiot took my words very seriously.....

internet_serious_mf_business.jpg

wah......scared the dayight out of me sia! For a while there i thought it waz @Radx......muayhahaha!
  • Praise 8
  • Dislike 2

I had a discussion with mods before about this.. the points mean nothing in value... and i totally feel its the comments left from the anonymous dislikes that rankle...  

i liken it to getting a slap...  but forced not to retaliate.

But that said... I would just like to point out this...

The Moderators KNOW who left the dislikes... but i think their steadfast stance to not reveal who those people are deserves kudos... even when their personal ''reputation''  is at stake.. 

i know i would throw the perpetrators out to the wild... 

Edited by SuPerBoRed
  • Praise 4

Neither do most here...I think :D

When I post, I post what I want to say and not what I think people want to read. Same as my what I do in real life. If they appreciate it and leave a like, good, if not I will still continue to post what I like.

But the anoymous dislike is similar to having a differing view debate with your neighbour and suddenly you get a ding in your car the next morning. Will you feel good about it?

The funny thing is that it might not even be your neighbour who did the dinging. It might have been some other person who was harbouring a grudge from a previously lost debate taking the opportunity to make himself feel better wihile sabotaging another.

wah lao...internet is really serious business

dislike dislike lor

anyway i never set out to make people like me or my postings

:D

• Praise 2

i kenna also already some months back; Initially I thought OMG!!.... the dislike comment made me  REALLY "introspect" .... now I forget about it & MOVE ON....... we gotta learn to live within them as they come in all shades/strata .....etc .... everyone , every soul has a right to "decide"  ..... of course MIW "soul"  right is too much Right, right?? .... again we gotta live within them;  Take Critism +vely ... this is the way the Net works.... just sharing sharing 

errrr.... @Jamesc... kenna dislike...... must be his MIL  [laugh]

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 8

Just delete the dislike function

If u really hate or dislike a comment, pm the guy jio him out, slap his face if his face æ¬ æ

The function is useful for the community to self regulate but people take it too seriously, so I seldom use it as well. But i think it should stay, just a matter of whether it should remain anonymous. I think the shit stirrer is generating traffic for MCF. Lol Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 2

I still think "Agree" and "Disagree" will be more appropriate.

"Dislike" is like lim peh buay song with you. Many ppl get offended.

Difference of opinion is understandable, it isn't personal. The points deduction also give ppl the wrong impression. I think ppl should be allowed to disagree politely.

To me it's ok to "agree" or "disagree" ...with no grudges involved. Kindly consider changing to this. I don't mind if other forums are using the same. When it comes to opinion I think these are suitable words to use.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 12

Scare of dislike, then don't post in the forum lor. Once you post, then expect to accept both likes and dislikes, regardless anonymous or not. And especially if your post is a strong opinionated post.

• Praise 13

How do you know when u get a dislike?

Got notifications? I dont know cos I do not check my notifications. I got 81,400+ notifications to date. [grin]

I only check my email notifications in my mailbox.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1