Ridiculous office rules revealed

tudorpapa

Is 1 and 2 unreasonable???

for some company it is justifiable, especially on specify language if they have employees come from different countries.

It is very rude for one group of people speaking their own language in front of other.

↡ Advertisement

Ha - just an add-on through my years of working.

Jap firms - no colour water (eg : coffee / tea) allow on working desk, only allow plain water from their water dispenser.

Punch cards for in and out - if late need higher level to sign off with reason.

Nicely dress up (long sleeves / pants for men, dresses for ladies) even in our HOT and HUMID weather

No talking in office other than jobs related issues

Can only leave office after big boss left

US firms - wear what you want (comfortable with)

eat whenever you free like it even on desk or mtg room (that held over lunch time)

call for delivery to your desk when you free like it

dial in if you do not want to attend mtg or late 

in and out of office without anyone approval - working from home allowed with supervisor approval (usually is go ahead)

work till job complete for the day

Local firms - Ops mtg in the first thing of the morning - indirect to check attendance and your preparation for daily start up

Tracking of your movement daily (toilet / smoking / tea break)

Nowadays - ladies wear nicely to office and change to slippers (cartoon/bedroom type). tie up their hair to market aunt type

No more to nice view especially when you need a break

Talking loudly (especially those serve more than 10 years) and direct newly colleagues to cover their work while they chat. 

Everyday late also a normal (more than an hour) and leave on the dot when the job is not done.

Always on the mobile even in mtg

Just a view from  an Uncle with 40 years working - now still working ........................... 

• Praise 6

In our humid and hot weather, over dressed is not only uncomfortable, it also not environmentally friendly because we need to increase AC to cool you down [:p]

However, if you wear slippers and shorts to work, I feel you are not respecting others and the organization you represent (no offense, just my personal opinion only). Unless your company dress code is that way, the environment requires it and everyone wears slippers.

Surely you want to represent your company with the best image and give your client a good impression when they meet you. It also shows that you are serious and respect the meeting. Like you go and attend a wedding reception for example.

I know many claim they don't meet clients. But the fact that they go to work and represent the company, people will judge the company based on the staff there. No different of you checking out the company office you going to work before you decide if you want to join them.  [;)]  

I strongly agree with you.  I used to work in hotel and was trained to dress well.  That is why I cannot stand my that female colleague wearing so sloppily especially when she has to cover recept duties.  I believe in - You are what you wear.

Ha - just an add-on through my years of working.

Nowadays - ladies wear nicely to office and change to slippers (cartoon/bedroom type). tie up their hair to market aunt type

No more to nice view especially when you need a break

Talking loudly (especially those serve more than 10 years) and direct newly colleagues to cover their work while they chat. 

Everyday late also a normal (more than an hour) and leave on the dot when the job is not done.

Always on the mobile even in mtg

Just a view from  an Uncle with 40 years working - now still working ........................... 

More on strawberry generation.

for some company it is justifiable, especially on specify language if they have employees come from different countries.

It is very rude for one group of people speaking their own language in front of other.

I don't think 2 is reasonable leh. Unless I am addressing everyone (like in a meeting), then I don't see why I can't speak to my friend in whatever language we are comfortable with. I don't see it as being rude.

I don't think 2 is reasonable leh. Unless I am addressing everyone (like in a meeting), then I don't see why I can't speak to my friend in whatever language we are comfortable with. I don't see it as being rude.

i did mention that in front of others or in a group discussion, if in front of customers even more so.

Local firms - Ops mtg in the first thing of the morning - indirect to check attendance and your preparation for daily start up

Tracking of your movement daily (toilet / smoking / tea break)

morning assembly in Japanese firm also indirectly check on attendance   [laugh]  [laugh]

In meetings should stick to english where everyone understands.. but to limit it to entire office then i also feel a bit unreasonable..

i did mention that in front of others or in a group discussion, if in front of customers even more so.

Beehive seems to imply it was a blanket rule though.

For group discussions, I agree. 

In front of others, it really depends. If I'm speaking to my friend in Tamil and then you come along expecting to join in and I continue in Tamil, I don't think that's rude. But if we're all having a chat and then I start speaking in Tamil which you cannot understand, then yes, it is rude. But I still don't see the company as having the right to prevent this "rudeness" if it is not part of work.

For customers, I agree also.

Ridiculous office rules revealed

OFFICERULES_180917_PIXABAY.jpg?itok=bXUg

LAURA FRANSEN

Sep 18, 2017

Source: http://www.asiaone.com/business/ridiculous-office-rules-revealed

Does your company have any silly or unnecessary rules in place? While management will probably say no - after all, all rules are implemented for a reason - employees may feel differently.

In a recent workplace study, 36.8 per cent of respondents said their workplace has "ridiculous" rules. The survey by UK job site CV-Library asked 1,000 UK workers whether their employer had any silly or unnecessary rules in place.

If the fact that over a third of employees think their company has stupid rules doesn't motivate you to review your policies, perhaps this will: 22.5 per cent said that workplaces with ridiculous rules can't be trusted.

When it comes to the ridiculous rules in question, according to the survey results they broadly fall into five categories:

• Bathroom breaks: Respondents reported they either had a strict time frame in which to go to the toilet (3 minutes), had to ask before using the toilet facilities, or were even searched before going to the toilet.
  • Dress code: Some respondents reported they had to wear particular coloured clothes to match the business, and women weren't allowed to wear trousers. One individual even said that they were sent home for not dressing down.
  • Talking: Some employees stated that they weren't allowed to talk out loud outside of the staff room, while others said that they weren't allowed to say "hello" to a customer, only "good morning", or "good afternoon".
  • Time keeping: One company deducts 15 minutes worth of pay if an employee is 2 minutes late. Another won't allow staff to travel further than 20 metres away from the building during lunch in case they're back late.
  • Drinks: Some workplaces won't allow their staff to drink water and another will not let workers carry drinks up and down the stairs. One company won't let employees have drinks on their desk in case they get spilt.

Commenting on the results, Lee Biggins, founder and managing director of CV-Library, said: "Every workplace needs rules: otherwise you'd simply never get things done! That said it's clear that many of the rules highlighted in our research are just ridiculous."

He added: "Employees want to feel trusted and while one workplace can differ massively to another, you have to treat your staff like adults - especially when it comes to being allowed to drink water and going to the toilet!"

A final finding from the survey provides another reason for ensuring any office rule makes sense to staff. Over half of respondents (57.2 per cent) said that if they feel a rule is silly, they'll simply disobey it.

My company also quite kecoh one. Quite stringent on dress code and such. 

this one I find quite common sense. Always have the cup spill on laptops and shorting.

No drinking should be the norm. But at least have a reasonable space for people to take a drink at a pantry.

I had one manager who will make anyone who takes MC more than twice a month take leave and go for a full medical check up. She said cuz if keep falling sick, there must be something wrong.

I also noticed that bosses tend to be more relaxed with the females with regards to the dress code. My previous company all the managers will make sure the guys wear long sleeved shirts and pants but the females can wear anything they want. Even t-shirt and shorts they also don't say anything.

maybe paranoid people take MC to go interview. 

Go buy Herman Miller Aeon when they have their sale clearance lah. [laugh]

i would have thought this one is ah gong standard issue for the elite butts in mcf?

i only have plastic stool to sit in my storeroom

:D

i would have thought this one is ah gong standard issue for the elite butts in mcf?

i only have plastic stool to sit in my storeroom

Yeah, your so called plastic stool..   <_<

LI_EMO_P_20130115_051_P-400x400.jpg

• Praise 1

Yes, you interpreted correctly unlike others.

From what I understand from my ex-colleagues, it's a blanket rule set by their ex-direct manager.

The thing is this. The manager has a room of her own. The others sit in a common room.

These 2 rooms are separated by a common corridor linked to other rooms.

So when the manager is not in the common room talking to them, why can't they use their own language to communicate? And when the manager hears them talking in mandarin in the common room, she comes out of her little hole and hollers at my ex-colleagues to speak in English.

Some people say the rules are justifiable. Yes, but depending on situation. And from what I feel, definitely does not apply to above. In meetings and formal discussions, yes I agree common language that everyone in the room can understand should be used, which is usually English.

Beehive seems to imply it was a blanket rule though.

For group discussions, I agree. 

In front of others, it really depends. If I'm speaking to my friend in Tamil and then you come along expecting to join in and I continue in Tamil, I don't think that's rude. But if we're all having a chat and then I start speaking in Tamil which you cannot understand, then yes, it is rude. But I still don't see the company as having the right to prevent this "rudeness" if it is not part of work.

For customers, I agree also.

This sounds so familiar..

Like the fools in MOE who pay for foreigners to come here and study under scholarship, only for them to break the bond after getting their degree to work in other countries.

Not surprisingly, the company pulled out several years later, once the incentives from EDB dried up and they faced the full brunt of costs.

• Praise 2

This is common if the boss is a foreigner who feel insecure if the whole company is talking about something that she dun understand, hence she will impose that rule. However like you say the staff can always communicate in other languages as long as the boss is not around but also depends if other around.

I used to work in an all ang moh environment where i was the only local, whenever they talk in spanish or italian i have to ask them to speak in english. Likewise i also dun like my staff to speak mandarin or dialect in front of malay/indian colleagues, vice versa.

I think is a work place with huge mixed of races and foreigners, it is a mutual respect to give to fellow colleague to speak in a common language as much as possible.

From what I understand from my ex-colleagues, it's a blanket rule set by their ex-direct manager.

The thing is this. The manager has a room of her own. The others sit in a common room.

So when the manager is not in the common room talking to them, why can't they use their own language to communicate? And when the manager hears them talking in mandarin in the common room, she comes out of her little hole and hollers at my ex-colleagues to speak in English.

Some people say the rules are justifiable. Yes, but depending on situation. And from what I feel, definitely does not apply to above. In meetings and formal discussions, yes I agree common language that everyone in the room can understand should be used, which is usually English.

This sounds so familiar..

Like the fools in MOE who pay for foreigners to come here and study under scholarship, only for them to break the bond after getting their degree to work in other countries.

• Praise 4

my office building have big bins near every few units

unfortunately my neighbours (one is doing scrap, another is doing fabrications), both disposed many wastes and the bin was always full on every other days.

next moment, the bin was not there

i called up the management office to put back the bin

they said due to high waste disposal from the few units, they decided not to put the bin there. 

For others (like us), we can dispose rubbish to other nearby bin (over 10m away)

Told the management, you didnt solve the problem and took away others the privilege of convenience of disposing rubbish.

tmd jiak sai!

morning assembly in Japanese firm also indirectly check on attendance   [laugh]  [laugh]

although i am old but i embrace new ideas. haha. generally i dont measure output based on hours. maybe production line but still it is all about final results. 

however, if you are providing a service and that service states 8 am. you have to be there before 8 am and only leave your post after the declared time. 

security guards normally work 12 hours shift and most work OT because it is a known industry that there is shortage. so are they the most hardworking and productive? 

My recent trip to Hokkiado, i enter thr petrol station, 3 attendants attend to me. clean wind screen, provide towel to clean car interior and collect payment. good old days to maximize employment. 

understand the korean construction staff dont have weekends and holiday off. they only enjoy home leaves. so are they hardworking and productive? you will find the answer with people dealing with them in so many construction sites here. hahaha

sometime it is culture and habits. cannot just cut and paste and think it will works. 

My side.

- No eating of cooked food on own desk.

- All bags and personal stuff in the side table, nothing on ur desk floor.

- No sticky notes/personal photos ard the side table, only at a designated wall of ur desk.

- "Clean" desk required. No clutter on desk.

- No paper in our personal waste bin. We are a certified environment frenly office by dont know what environment council.

- Stationary issued once a month only. So have to "pre-order".

- No food in meeting rooms.

- Encouraged to use Cisco Jabber to communicate instead of phone.

- IT always try to use Team Viewer to resolve your pc problem. Seldom see them ard. Helpdesk is outsourced.

- PC is locked down. Cannot install own software.

- No sleeping on own desk. Just recently, the GM of HR kena pok by Director of HR cos hearsay kena caught red-handed sleeping on the job!!!

- Normal shirt and pants for guys. Last time have to wear tie also. 5 years ago abolish liao. Weekend, I normally wear sandals, bermudas and t-shirt if required to go back.

- Aircon turned on from 8am to 6pm only.

• Praise 1

last time kena one company everyday

• Morning assembly must read a chapter of a japanese founder's philosophy, each day one staff take turns to interpret the meaning. 
  • Must wear tie to work, worse still ties are provided by the company (3 diff color strip each with same base color).

my office building have big bins near every few units

unfortunately my neighbours (one is doing scrap, another is doing fabrications), both disposed many wastes and the bin was always full on every other days.

next moment, the bin was not there

i called up the management office to put back the bin

they said due to high waste disposal from the few units, they decided not to put the bin there.

For others (like us), we can dispose rubbish to other nearby bin (over 10m away)

Told the management, you didnt solve the problem and took away others the privilege of convenience of disposing rubbish.

tmd jiak sai!

Hahhaha most mgt are like that .... no solution so they chop off the whole thing.
  • Praise 4

The lady boss look like her?

Speaka Inglish.

IMG_6932.JPG

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2