Toys 'R' Us Files For Bankruptcy

DACH

Oh no. Hope the stores in Singapore will remain open for years.

I think Toy R Us gave us many memories in our childhood and now to parents as new found memories.

It's a pity if it shuts down.

Toys 'R' Us Files For Bankruptcy, But Will Keep Stores Open

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2017/09/19/toys-r-us-bankruptcy/#4062f746574a

Toys 'R' Us, the children's toy store struggling from a massive amount of debt and fierce online competition, has filed for bankruptcy.

The retailer sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection late Monday evening in federal court, seeking a way out of the $5 billion in debt it has racked up. It said it would keep its 1,600 Toys 'R' Us and Babies 'R' Us stores open as normal heading into the busy holiday season.

Toys 'R' Us has been crippled by debt since it was acquired by private equity firms KKR and Bain Capital, plus real estate company Vornado Realty Trust, in a $6.6 billion leveraged buyout in 2005. It had started the process of going public in 2010, but ultimately pulled the filing, citing "unfavorable market conditions."

The company described the bankruptcy as a way to work with its creditors to get back on solid financial footing and invest in long-term growth in a difficult retail environment.

"Today marks the dawn of a new era at Toys"R"Us where we expect that the financial constraints that have held us back will be addressed in a lasting and effective way," said CEO Dave Brandon in a statement.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

The company has received more than $3 billion in debtor-in-possession financing from J.P.Morgan Chase and other lenders, which will help it sustain operations during the bankruptcy process.

Toys 'R' Us, which began as a single store for baby carriages and cribs in Washington, D.C. in 1948, quickly became a favorite destination for children's toys. In recent years, the big-box retailer snatched up competitors like FAO Schwarz and KB Toys, pursued international expansion and slashed prices in an effort to continue attracting shoppers to its colorful aisles.

However, sales have slipped in the face of competition from giants like Amazon and Wal-Mart. In its latest quarter, same-store sales fell by 4.1%, helping the retailer to post losses of $164 million.

While Toys 'R' Us said the "vast majority" of its stores are profitable, it will likely be reevaluating at its physical footprint during the bankruptcy process.

Toys 'R' Us joins a parade of other retailers that have sought bankruptcy protection this year, including shoe store Payless and children's clothing retailer Gymboree. Many other retailers have aggressively closed stores and laid off employees, instead shifting resources to online capabilities.

7438786072_1c11e30a47_z.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

My childhood days, I dare not walk into toys r us

No money

Emporium also don't dare to see the toys liao

My kids different they get the toys that I never had

Sometimes I wonder whether I should get myself a toy

• Praise 11

No money

its ok lah ... i used to just go inside(parkway branch) and walk around and get some aircon at the same time ... but always left empty handed.

but anyway, like most business, the asian side claim that they are independent from the US problems so they won't be affected ... but does not really matter right, since not much ppl buy from shops nowadays anymore.

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

No money

You should ...... :yuush:

Full size rubber dolls from Japan ... :secret-laugh:

You should ...... :yuush:

Full size rubber dolls from Japan ... :secret-laugh:

I think play with myself cheaper better faster :XD:

No money

How true. I have to save up pocket money to buy and treasure each one. So different from now.

When my kids ask me to buy toys for them I tell them go work at McD and buy their own. They go to their mummy instead and not annoy me again. LoL...

• Praise 2

As a child I have never walked into a toys r us store. Kids from poor family make their own toys like paper planes. [laugh]

or catch spiders....   some extreme cases go f**k spiders...   [:p]

How true. I have to save up pocket money to buy and treasure each one. So different from now.

When my kids ask me to buy toys for them I tell them go work at McD and buy their own. They go to their mummy instead and not annoy me again. LoL...

....  either your kids are still in love with toys in their teenage years... or you are a cruel father...  [rolleyes]

• Praise 1

if no one came to the rescue, even Toys R Us sinapore will be closed eventually.

Toys don't fly off the shelf like some smartphones. They stay on the shelf much longer. Those expensive ones are even worse. Lelong sale also don't see a lot of savings. Loose money wan. That's why you see some companies don't sell toys (eg. Tangs) . But Tangs now is starting to sell toys, dunno why. Must be targeting families to shop there.

• Praise 1

Yeah man

Totally agree

I gave my kids the childhood fantasys I didn't have

or catch spiders....   some extreme cases go f**k spiders...   [:p]

....  either your kids are still in love with toys in their teenage years... or you are a cruel father...  [rolleyes]

Sometimes we parents unconsciously play "good cop, bad cop" on certain situations. We say things so that kids understand it's not easy to earn a buck. If we give in too easily we end up throwing away money on toys that honestly only get the kid's attention not for long. They won't treasure what they have when they can get it easily. Cruel you say? I highly doubt it. We want the best for our children but toys are not one of them.

if no one came to the rescue, even Toys R Us sinapore will be closed eventually.

Yeah man

The key competitor is iPad

Once a kid reaches a certain age, these games will be more fun than transformers, rc toys, lego

Toys will become paper aeroplane of the future

or catch spiders.... some extreme cases go f**k spiders... [:p]

.... either your kids are still in love with toys in their teenage years... or you are a cruel father... [rolleyes]

Yes. Last time as kids we go fly kites.....sometimes I wonder how my boss knows. He still encourages me to do that

• Praise 5

Sometimes we parents unconsciously play "good cop, bad cop" on certain situations. We say things so that kids understand it's not easy to earn a buck. If we give in too easily we end up throwing away money on toys that honestly only get the kid's attention not for long. They won't treasure what they have when they can get it easily. Cruel you say? I highly doubt it. We want the best for our children but toys are not one of them.

nono... u dont get what im saying...  

to work at McD min age is 16....   if u telll them to work there... means.. they hit minimum age... means they are most likely too old for toys! 

if they like toys.. then .. its likely they have not hit the min age.. for which.. you are cruel to suggest child labour!!!

Now that my kids is coming of age, I intro him some fun stuff like books, photography, tamiya

Good thing that classic books these days are damn cheap (thanks to lala's lobang!)