Mazda Owner Check-in List Part 2

clement229

am looking at the cx3 in fact with a 2litre engine for a decent pricing of 82k.

anyone driving it? dont seem to see much comments about it apart from the smaller rear seats but the engine power kinda entices me. 

Basically:

CX-3 = Mazda 2 in SUV form factor

CX-5 = Mazda 3 in SUV form factor

Check the wheelbase in their spec sheets and you'll see what I mean.

CX-9 is another class unto its own, being the "crown jewel" of Mazda at present, its wheelbase is different from even the Mazda 6.

↡ Advertisement

Basically:

CX-3 = Mazda 2 in SUV form factor

CX-5 = Mazda 3 in SUV form factor

Check the wheelbase in their spec sheets and you'll see what I mean.

CX-9 is another class unto its own, being the "crown jewel" of Mazda at present, its wheelbase is different from even the Mazda 6.

Saw a cx5 beside a nissan qashqai and the qashqai looks so small beside the cx5

am looking at the cx3 in fact with a 2litre engine for a decent pricing of 82k.

anyone driving it? dont seem to see much comments about it apart from the smaller rear seats but the engine power kinda entices me.

It depends on what you look for in a car.

82K is 2nd hand which probably means it's 2018 or 2017 version.

Some things missing will be the electronic handbrake and auto hold function.

If engine power is what entices you, likely the drive is a factor.

Consider that mazda 2 and 3 will be a much better drive due to the body form. Even though mazda 2 is smaller cc, it is like to perform better than cx 3. This is from personal experience.

Cabin size feels a lot different even though it's suppose to be same platform.

Driver and front passanger is very comfortable.

I use to be able to touch my head to ceiling if i try but not able to now.

Seat space is wider, ceiling is higher, feet to pedal is further.

I have no idea how they increase inner space even though it's built on mazda 2.

Do share more details on what you look for and also what you like about it. Then maybe owners can describe in more details.

Tldr:

Get it if you want

height.

Fair comfort. Mazda 3 should be on par.

Avoid if you

really want a great drive. Cx3 is good but mazda 2 and 3 is better.

Utility, it's a fake SUV.

Saw a cx5 beside a nissan qashqai and the qashqai looks so small beside the cx5

Qashqai is sub compact and should compare agaonst cx 3.

Cx5 should be against murano. Could be typo.

Consider that mazda 2 and 3 will be a much better drive due to the body form. Even though mazda 2 is smaller cc, it is like to perform better than cx 3. This is from personal experience.

Do share more details on what you look for and also what you like about it. Then maybe owners can describe in more details.

Tldr:

Get it if you want

height.

Avoid if you

Maybe xtrail?

Murano no longer here and I don't think murano is 2.0?

Let's just compare with Harrier haha

Tldr:

Get it if you want

height.

Avoid if you

Saw a cx3 at showroom and felt small compared to vezel

Maybe xtrail?

Murano no longer here and I don't think murano is 2.0?

Let's just compare with Harrier haha

Saw a cx3 at showroom and felt small compared to vezel

Not too familiar with the compact class. Only did research on sub compact.

And I felt that Nissan is overpriced anyway.

Cx3 and hrv comparison is unfair anyway.

1 is best in class for utility.

The other best in class for drive.

How to compare?

Cx3 is fake SUV.

Only thing that gives it SUV class is just the height and it's barely there.

Not too familiar with the compact class. Only did research on sub compact.

And I felt that Nissan is overpriced anyway.

Cx3 and hrv comparison is unfair anyway.

1 is best in class for utility.

The other best in class for drive.

How to compare?

Cx3 is fake SUV.

Only thing that gives it SUV class is just the height and it's barely there.

Absolutely agree with you

Nissan really overprices their cars

Cx3 small

Mazda suv should go for cx5 and cx9

Anyone hope they bring in the cx8?

Absolutely agree with you

Nissan really overprices their cars

Cx3 small

Mazda suv should go for cx5 and cx9

Anyone hope they bring in the cx8?

Doubt so.

CX-8 is specifically for China market only.

Wondering if someone could help explain something to me about TEK and Mazda in SG.

I would consider myself very knowledgeable about cars, but very fresh when it comes to buying a car in Singapore. I'm sold (or at least was) on buying a new CX-5. Great car for what I need it for. But the more I research about the TEK, the more confused I get as to whether I should get a Cx-5.

If I compare a CX-5 from TEK to a CRV from Kah Motors or a Subaru Forester, their OMV values are similar or higher than the CX-5. Yet the selling price of the CX-5 is often priced higher (sometimes $5k to $20k more). The VES band is the same or lower (c1 or neutral). That only can mean that the dealer margin is higher.

I can understand that aspect, what I don't understand is why TEK's standard warranty and servicing is so much worse for a dealer with higher margins? Others provide 5yr warranty (unlimited km) and 3yr servicing as standard, yet TEK is 3yr warranty (140,000km) and 1 year free servicing. Even on promotion, TEK will do 5 year warranty OR 3yr free servicing.

I don't understand how the dealer margin is higher and the standard after-sales servicing is worse? Seems to me that getting a Mazda in Singapore is a pretty poor deal?

I've been trying to push the TEK SE to be a bit more competitive (discount or extended warranty), yet they don't budge. Always seem to conveniently ignore my requests.

What am I missing here? I'm not looking to bash TEK, I just want to understand how, on paper, it feels like getting a Mazda in SG is the wrong choice?

Edited by GTO-1

Wondering if someone could help explain something to me about TEK and Mazda in SG.

I would consider myself very knowledgeable about cars, but very fresh when it comes to buying a car in Singapore. I'm sold (or at least was) on buying a new CX-5. Great car for what I need it for. But the more I research about the TEK, the more confused I get as to whether I should get a Cx-5.

If I compare a CX-5 from TEK to a CRV from Kah Motors or a Subaru Forester, their OMV values are similar or higher than the CX-5. Yet the selling price of the CX-5 is often priced higher (sometimes $5k to $20k more). The VES band is the same or lower (c1 or neutral). That only can mean that the dealer margin is higher.

I can understand that aspect, what I don't understand is why TEK's standard warranty and servicing is so much worse for a dealer with higher margins? Others provide 5yr warranty (unlimited km) and 3yr servicing as standard, yet TEK is 3yr warranty (140,000km) and 1 year free servicing. Even on promotion, TEK will do 5 year warranty OR 3yr free servicing.

I don't understand how the dealer margin is higher and the standard after-sales servicing is worse? Seems to me that getting a Mazda in Singapore is a pretty poor deal?

I've been trying to push the TEK SE to be a bit more competitive (discount or extended warranty), yet they don't budge. Always seem to conveniently ignore my requests.

What am I missing here? I'm not looking to bash TEK, I just want to understand how, on paper, it feels like getting a Mazda in SG is the wrong choice?

Good question.

I can only wonder if cx 5 should be compared with forester or outback.

Outback is more expensive so if cx 5 is in the same class as outback then it makes sense.

I don't understand why cx 5 is much more expensive than forester in the range of 10 to 30 k.

Doubt so.

CX-8 is specifically for China market only.

There is CX-4 at China. Quite like the size, feel just nice size for city drive with family. CX-3 is small for rear passengers and CX-5 I feel too big.

Good question.

I can only wonder if cx 5 should be compared with forester or outback.

Outback is more expensive so if cx 5 is in the same class as outback then it makes sense.

I don't understand why cx 5 is much more expensive than forester in the range of 10 to 30 k.

I would definitely put the cx-5 and Forester in the same class, especially the 2.0L version of the CX-5.

The only thing I can think that Mazda had over others is a low car loan interest rate of 1.88%. Other AD's say they have 'low interest rates', but no one explicitly lists it.

That helps people with large loans over long terms - but that isn't me. Over a 5 year term, it'll save me only $1500. I'd rather have a 5 year warranty and 3 Yr servicing, which is worth more and would help with resale value.

In any case, I suppose you can't please everyone. Going to wait until 2019, since supposedly the 1.88% promo ends 31st Dec and the new indent of CX-5 is due.

Done a whole chunk of research, and I hypothesise the updated cx-5 is going to be either cheaper or have more features. I say that because cars in a similar class and price point to the CX-5 are already out-pacing it in terms of features. If there is any common-sense, then the updated CX-5 needs 'more' to stay competitive. Especially in the SG market.

I would definitely put the cx-5 and Forester in the same class, especially the 2.0L version of the CX-5.

The only thing I can think that Mazda had over others is a low car loan interest rate of 1.88%. Other AD's say they have 'low interest rates', but no one explicitly lists it.

That helps people with large loans over long terms - but that isn't me. Over a 5 year term, it'll save me only $1500. I'd rather have a 5 year warranty and 3 Yr servicing, which is worth more and would help with resale value.

In any case, I suppose you can't please everyone. Going to wait until 2019, since supposedly the 1.88% promo ends 31st Dec and the new indent of CX-5 is due.

Done a whole chunk of research, and I hypothesise the updated cx-5 is going to be either cheaper or have more features. I say that because cars in a similar class and price point to the CX-5 are already out-pacing it in terms of features. If there is any common-sense, then the updated CX-5 needs 'more' to stay competitive. Especially in the SG market.

Firstly, i do not always think CC is the way to go to determine if a car is of the same category. Take sub compact CX 3 (2L) and HRV (1.5). They are in the same class.

Having said that, CX 5 is indeed more expensive than Forester but have to consider the specs.

I think you will have to really drill down into the specs and compare line by line to see why.

I only research CX 3 versus XV as it was the class i'm buying.

Firstly, i do not always think CC is the way to go to determine if a car is of the same category. Take sub compact CX 3 (2L) and HRV (1.5). They are in the same class.

Having said that, CX 5 is indeed more expensive than Forester but have to consider the specs.

I think you will have to really drill down into the specs and compare line by line to see why.

I only research CX 3 versus XV as it was the class i'm buying.

Understand that engine size isn't the only factor to compare.

The CX5 fits in a class commonly called compact crossover, and there is a known set of players since its one of the fastest growing car segments. Take a look:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15380025/best-small-compact-suv-truck/?utm_source=facebook_ign&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=ign_g15380025_fb_m_i

Also did compare line by line against several models. If we talk about features, the Subaru absolutely destroys the Cx5 with many more features. The CRV has on par features for the lower end models. The higher models have more features than the CX-5, while being about 15k cheaper.

The dealer margin on the 7-seat CRV is actually 15-20%, whereas the 2.5L CX-5 has a 40%-45‰ margin?! Absolute madness there.

Edited by GTO-1

Understand that engine size isn't the only factor to compare.

The CX5 fits in a class commonly called compact crossover, and there is a known set of players since its one of the fastest growing car segments. Take a look:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15380025/best-small-compact-suv-truck/?utm_source=facebook_ign&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=ign_g15380025_fb_m_i

Also did compare line by line against several models. If we talk about features, the Subaru absolutely destroys the Cx5 with many more features. The CRV has on par features for the lower end models. The higher models have more features than the CX-5, while being about 15k cheaper.

The dealer margin on the 7-seat CRV is actually 15-20%, whereas the 2.5L CX-5 has a 40%-45‰ margin?! Absolute madness there.

I'm aware. Outback seems to be also compact.

Using sgcarmart, i notice forester has a 10k VES surcharge and still 10k cheaper than CX 5. lol.

I have no idea why CX5 is more expensive. If you figure it out please share.

It's interesting that CX 3 is only around 5k more than XV.

Thankfully i do not like the size of CX 5.

Edit: interestingly, it seems that it's not that CX 5 is expensive. it's that Forester is cheap. Because the other brands' Compact suv are similarly priced.

Edited by danielling1981

Using sgcarmart, i notice forester has a 10k VES surcharge and still 10k cheaper than CX 5. lol.

Edit: interestingly, it seems that it's not that CX 5 is expensive. it's that Forester is cheap. Because the other brands' Compact suv are similarly priced.

Agreed for the part on other make prices themselves cheaper (and additionally TEK stand by their die-die-dun-wana reduce company profit margin).

But then again, open shop to earn money not to lose money la.

Yeah, I guess it's not a question about if the prices are similar - it's a question of what I get for my money for that price?

I simply get more bang for buck going with another brand (E.g longer warranty, longer servicing, features etc) than going with Mazda. That's especially true if the higher trims.

In overseas market, you could argue the dealer cost of the car is higher. But the unique thing about Singapore is OMV is public knowledge. We know the base cost of the car is the same as other models - it seems TEK is just protecting their margins. Which is a shame, because Mazda make great cars - it's just it's not so attractive here is SG.

Overall I think my question is answered. I'm not missing something - it's just TEK wants to protect their margins, while other makes are more willing to make money off volume.

Edited by GTO-1
↡ Advertisement