Low mileage car insurance

timchau87

bros - wanna see if anyone has any experience

my family has a 2012 VW Jetta 1.4, but don't drive often as parents retired and driving to town is damn ex. insurance is currently on axa under mum, 50% ncd ~900. 

the car only drive ~6-7000km / year, so thinking of trying some of the low mileage plan when renewal comes. There are a few I notice -
a) NTUC: 20% off only if 7000km, and must renew then next year get the discount 
b) DA: under 8000km got discount, but also not much, i think 20%
c) Got one I just saw of fb called auto armour that gives 50% off immediately for under 6000km, then pay per kilo after that. Quite cheap, like $380 only. any one try before? no reviews like that, but when i dig looks like they are supported by etiqa... so should be ok?

thnkx in advance

Edited by timchau87
↡ Advertisement

$380 very cheap.  You better check if coverage similar to your current policy. But $900 very expensive.

I insured with HL Assurance $648 including GST.  Mine 2007 year car - going to renew COE next month, mileage only 76300+ km.  Consider low mileage as well.

Good tip Anna - thank! Is $380 (inc gst) for full year comprehensive, own workshop some more wor - $500 excess, really not bad.

The catch is that's for 6000km per year, then pay 6 cents per km after. So even if drive 7500km, it's 380 + 1500x0.06 = $470!

Not bad, I think I'll get! What you think Anna?

Ps I was wrong my current $900 is not with axa, is with msig. Jialat man

Wow very good man! Any reviews about them when come to claims? You better check on their reputation and where their office is located. Premium is really attractive.

Tim

I just googled auto armor. I think it is based in Australia. I don't know if it will be complicated when making claims should there be one (touchwood) . Don't know if this is the company you are referring to. You better double check it f there is a rep office in singapore to handle claims.

Tim

I just googled auto armor. I think it is based in Australia. I don't know if it will be complicated when making claims should there be one (touchwood) . Don't know if this is the company you are referring to. You better double check it f there is a rep office in singapore to handle claims.

thanks anna - good tip on checking whether claims difficult (touchwood!!) my family quite heng, never need to claim yet (also cos we are safe driver [laugh] )

i checked, they are sinkie company, supported by etiqa insurance singapore, so the claims etc done by etiqa, that one thats part of maybank

their website is www.autoarmour.co (faq is https://autoarmour.co/faq)

i never hear any good or bad thing about etiqa, so i think should be average on claims ba

i told my friend, he say he renewing soon and will buy, i let you know what he say!

Hi Tim

If underwriter is Etiqa should be ok. Maybank used to tie up with them and promote their products. Go Google Etiqa - there are some forummers' comment.

But really cheap. If your family members are safe Drivers should be ok. Mine excess $600 man! Wah even drive 8000 only pay $500. Good deal. I might consider when mine is due next year.

Keep me posted of any new info. Tks

Am just thinking... if the car mileage is quite low & hardly driven, is it still worth to keep hold of it or might as well sell off & use Grab/Uber?

Compare the costs of owning/maintaining the car vs using Grab daily... hmm... 

Hi Tim

If underwriter is Etiqa should be ok. Maybank used to tie up with them and promote their products. Go Google Etiqa - there are some forummers' comment.

But really cheap. If your family members are safe Drivers should be ok. Mine excess $600 man! Wah even drive 8000 only pay $500. Good deal. I might consider when mine is due next year.

Do note they would need to install the OBD (plug-in) into the car => driver will be tracked where he goes & how much KM driven. The data will be auto feed into the insurer's system.

Which means driver cannot "attempt" to declare or estimate he or she drove x KM only... all the data is captured (including location).

Do note they would need to install the OBD (plug-in) into the car => driver will be tracked where he goes & how much KM driven. The data will be auto feed into the insurer's system.

Which means driver cannot "attempt" to declare or estimate he or she drove x KM only... all the data is captured (including location).

Ya. I read about that. I Guess this is necessary to accurately charged the insured.

Hi Tim

Hi Anna! Good to hear that Etiqa is ok, i also got a friend insure with them - never claim before but he say know people who have, seems quite fair la. 

Yes not bad, excess $500 plus own workshop. Will let you know what my friend say when he buys.

Tks for all the comments anna - thumbs up :)

Am just thinking... if the car mileage is quite low & hardly driven, is it still worth to keep hold of it or might as well sell off & use Grab/Uber?

Compare the costs of owning/maintaining the car vs using Grab daily... hmm... 

Thats true, my family also consider... but sometimes weekend want to go places + my laobu like to keep a lot of her things in the car boot, so she likes it liddat.

I also guessing grab / uber will increase price soon... my friend work there say every trip lose money, liddat cannot sustain long term one.

Best is to take public transport normally, keep car for when you want to use. parking / petrol / maintenance / erp and now even insurance all don't use then don't pay, more fair also....

... assuming MRT dun breakdown :D

So if if go MY must also calculate mileage ?

Save the hassle bah. Want to own car just bite the bullet.

good question - i read somewhere in there faq that they cover normal, west MY also. not sure... 

true if you drive to my often then this plan not so good for you

Some cheap and heavily discounted insurance come with lots of hidden terms and conditions, so you need to read the fine lines with caution.

Try China Insurance or India Insurance.  Comprehensive  coverage with no mileage restriction but significantly priced lower.

Edited by Vinceng

Hi Anna! Good to hear that Etiqa is ok, i also got a friend insure with them - never claim before but he say know people who have, seems quite fair la. 

Yes not bad, excess $500 plus own workshop. Will let you know what my friend say when he buys.

Tks for all the comments anna - thumbs up :)

Thats true, my family also consider... but sometimes weekend want to go places + my laobu like to keep a lot of her things in the car boot, so she likes it liddat.

I also guessing grab / uber will increase price soon... my friend work there say every trip lose money, liddat cannot sustain long term one.

Best is to take public transport normally, keep car for when you want to use. parking / petrol / maintenance / erp and now even insurance all don't use then don't pay, more fair also....

... assuming MRT dun breakdown :D

good question - i read somewhere in there faq that they cover normal, west MY also. not sure... 

true if you drive to my often then this plan not so good for you

sorry i just check - they have a max cap, so even if you drive a lot they will only charge you max $X, and $X is quite ok also

For my VW (50% ncd) for

1. $500 excess

2. own workshop

3. ncd protector

It's ~$470 for 7500km / year, $750 max cap

Means I daily drive until timbaktu also max pay $750 - so much cheaper than my current $900!

Edited by timchau87

sorry i just check - they have a max cap, so even if you drive a lot they will only charge you max $X, and $X is quite ok also

For my VW (50% ncd) for

1. $500 excess

2. own workshop

3. ncd protector

It's ~$470 for 7500km / year, $750 max cap

Means I daily drive until timbaktu also max pay $750 - so much cheaper than my current $900!

actually MSIG also got one new plan, called u max i think. rather than charge on usage, it rewards for good driving/ safe driving.

might be worth checking out.

https://www.msig.com.sg/personal-insurance/detail/motor/umax#understandingExcess

Hi Tim

Just like to get an update of your car insurance.  Might want to switch from HL Assurance...

Thanks

Anna

Hi Anna! Yes we ended up buying! Also recommended to my friend wor haha (ahem cos got referral fee) 

So far so good. It's cheap, unbeatable price if you low mileage (under 12000km/yr). but even if you drive a lot they cap the maximum, and the max is still very good price, better than all the options on GoBear. 

Is Etiqa underwrite, so not bad. Only thing not so good is they dont have lost key replacement, but to us that's minor la.

I pm you my email, if you put me down as referrer we both get extra capitaland voucher  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement