Peugeot 3008(2017) VS Toyota Harrier 2.0 NA

LancerJay

Dear all, sorry for putting a conti vs jap thread, I tested the 3008 and find it nice,

1) but it feels less solid than harrier

2) cockpit is surprisingly cool looking.

3) acceleration is okay and punchy.

4) fuel consumption seems better than the harrier.

5) shapes like a Range Rover, and is very pleasant to the eyes.

Just curious, how does the 2014 fare against this 3008 SUV? Cause got second hand selling for 105k, VS 125999 for the new active version .

I wish to do part time grab or Uber for my car too, in terms of maintaince, which will be easier for my pocket ?

Regards

Jason

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

To be perfectly honest, this is not really an apple-apple comparison. It really boils down to your day-to-day needs out of this vehicle for you to really decide then.

1. If you are going for more interior cabin space - Harrier should be the clear winner here.
  2. If you need a larger boot - (surprisingly) 3008 takes this top trump.
  3. If you want to save on insurance, petrol and road tax costs - 3008 takes this round.
  4. If you want to pay less to purchase the car - Harrier is slightly cheaper, coming in at 130K for a base model at selected PI, compared to 136K for the 1.2litre 3008 variant.
  5. If you are concerned about maintenance - general maintenance parts costs for both are around the same, but the difference would be in the availability of workshops that will be able to service the 3008. For that, I would give this as a slim win to Harrier.
  6. If you want a more satisfying, spirited drive - that would definitely go to the 3008, especially if you go for the 1.6litre variant.

To nett it off, the lower servicing costs and purchase price of the Harrier might be offset by the lower owner costs (insurance, road tax & petrol) and so if you don't mind the drive of the Harrier - you should go for that. Otherwise, the 3008 is definitely a decent buy.

• Praise 4

For any conti car, if u only have a 5 year outlook, then u can ignore maintenance. Most serious issues happen after 100k.

Except when you kenah the dreaded mechatronics failure issue. But really heng-suay - I have two cousins driving Audi and one drove his A5 till 6 years also no issue. But the A4 (2.0 Quattro) had mechatronics problem within the first 18 months.

Having said that, you are quite fair in your assessment - and also provided that preventive maintenance is done to schedule of course.

For any conti car, if u only have a 5 year outlook, then u can ignore maintenance. Most serious issues happen after 100k.

But if he going to drive as part time uber, then milage can easily hit over 100k

Except when you kenah the dreaded mechatronics failure issue. But really heng-suay - I have two cousins driving Audi and one drove his A5 till 6 years also no issue. But the A4 (2.0 Quattro) had mechatronics problem within the first 18 months.

Having said that, you are quite fair in your assessment - and also provided that preventive maintenance is done to schedule of course.

to add on, if really kiasu, then take a 3 year benchmark. usually no problem and even so, got warranty. 

so it's 3 years or 100k. 

But if he going to drive as part time uber, then milage can easily hit over 100k

ok if uber, i think go jap better. or at least bmw merc due to large pool of spares. 

I heard peugeot is after 60...

Hmmm. but Harrier do Uber is like Uber Black - no? Whereas 3008 would be regular Uber - which means can serve a wider base and get more riders.

Just my humble POV.

I heard peugeot is after 60...

maybe small parts here and there. major ones tend to come after 100k

Hmmm. but Harrier do Uber is like Uber Black - no? Whereas 3008 would be regular Uber - which means can serve a wider base and get more riders.

Just my humble POV.

no idea. was just thinking about parts replacement which will be easier for japs. as uber drivers, the mileage will pile on so tat needs to be considered. 

Neutral Newbie

Just a word of caution. Peugeot dealership AutoFrance sucks big time. Really not professional and there is no redressal system in place...

• Praise 1

What my friends tell me is that the only French car you should consider is Renault (because of the Nissan connection). My advice is to forget about Peugeot and Citroen unless you are ok to fork out time and money for repairs. But then again if you can fork out time and money, why you considering these brands instead of the usual premium Conti cars. Also resale, how many will buy a secondhand Citroen or Peugeot - very very few if any. Get the Toyota if it's just between these two models.

• Praise 1

maybe small parts here and there. major ones tend to come after 100k

no idea. was just thinking about parts replacement which will be easier for japs. as uber drivers, the mileage will pile on so tat needs to be considered.

Agreed. Going by the number of harrier...though it will get more harrier turbo...i would go for the latter for the spare parts and reliability...so far peugeot 3008 suv i saw only once though i nust say its quite nice... Edited by Andyngps

Both cars have a totally different feel. If looking for comfort and easy to maintain (especially if using for U/G), toyota would be the choice. Spare parts could be an issue for Peugeot as it is less common here. Besides, servicing and repairs for a toyota would be cheaper.

not difficult to see so many tiagong or hearsay on French car repair and no parts.

only owners will know what the real answer is.

Safety is upmost important to me and thats why i am fine to put up with little hiccups that comes along my way. 

Edited by Hamburger

not difficult to see so many tiagong or hearsay on French car repair and no parts.

only owners will know what the real answer is.

Safety is upmost important to me and thats why i am fine to put up with little hiccups that comes along my way. 

hmm stall in the middle of the road considered safe?

haha i was once caught in a jam that a peugot blocked up the filter lane cos it just died. 

maybe in sg no biggie, in usa, in the night getting off a freeway, probably a reason to suffer a rear collision.

USA also got IIHS lah. Not say NCAP is the only safety testing organisation in the world.

If u looking to do part time uber/grab, wont a diesel vehicle be more suitable?