Peugeot 3008(2017) VS Toyota Harrier 2.0 NA

LancerJay

What my friends tell me is that the only French car you should consider is Renault (because of the Nissan connection). My advice is to forget about Peugeot and Citroen unless you are ok to fork out time and money for repairs. But then again if you can fork out time and money, why you considering these brands instead of the usual premium Conti cars. Also resale, how many will buy a secondhand Citroen or Peugeot - very very few if any. Get the Toyota if it's just between these two models.

The only thing French I like is the looks ...  [laugh] ... okok ... maybe the luxury bags (not their airbags ...)

But looking at the really low resale value and how long these French cars are stuck in SGcarmart before they're sold ... i do really shudder  [bounce1]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

hmm stall in the middle of the road considered safe?

haha i was once caught in a jam that a peugot blocked up the filter lane cos it just died. 

maybe in sg no biggie, in usa, in the night getting off a freeway, probably a reason to suffer a rear collision.

USA also got IIHS lah. Not say NCAP is the only safety testing organisation in the world.

If u looking to do part time uber/grab, wont a diesel vehicle be more suitable?

Hi, 

Just to share and give my comment as a ex-Peugeot 5008 eHDi owner.

I owned the car for 3.5 years (mileage 88k) .  During the period of ownership, I encountered 2 incidents that I had to stop at the road side.

Both incidents are caused by the fuel injector issues.  The first incidents and 2nd incident is just 1 month apart.  If they do a proper maintenance for the first incident, the 2nd will not happen.

Once the injector fail, (total have 4 in the car), the engine failure indicator will appear, and the car loss power but will not stall.

Rightfully, once the injector fail, the replacement should be 4 together, but instead, AF just replaced 1 unit instead of my several reminder to them to replace all the injectors.

After the replacement of the 2nd time, which all the injectors were replaced, everything is good until 1 year later, where engine failure happen again and intermittent , but this time, no power loss.   I send the car back to AF for inspection, and they told me one injector issue again and replace it.  But after replacement intermittent engine failure still happen.

I can not remember did they replace again any injectors for me, but what I want to share is , the problem is not because of the injector, but engine failure is caused by the battery.  Battery had to be high cranking Power type, which previously made by my own self is not a correct type.  So AF do not particularly sure but recommend me to change battery, since my battery is close to 2 years.

To my surprise, after i changed the battery base on the recommended spec,  all the intermittent engine failure was gone.

And during those period where my car was at workshop, AF did give me a replacement car. 

The Peugeot car is good to drive, feel very stable even it is a MPV, diesel engine is very punchy, and during over taking, the power is there.  Although it is the older model, but it come with all the features, like rainsensor, panaromic, error diagnostic and etc.

Service cost is still cheaper among continental car.  To be frank, i like the car, the drive and the handling.  But resale is an issue.  2nd hand car dealer will not want to take in your car.  But if you advertise your own, you will get buyer who really appreciate Peugeot Car.

I actually want to wait for new 5008, but somehow, after visited Audi showroom 5 months ago, i make a sudden booking which I do not know why also.  That is how I left my Peugeot.

• Praise 6

My French connection started in Dec 2012 and ended in May 2016.  During this period, my French beauty - Pug 5008 THP gave me lots of fun and pleasure. The problem started within one month after collecting the car. It was the reverse sensor calibration and it took me 2 visits to get the Auto France - AF contractor to resolve the problem. After one year plus, the horror started, there was a clapping sound while driving and fearing that by stopping the car in the middle of the road, the car my not start again, I chose to stop at a petrol kiosk. And sure enough, it cannot restart. It was towed to AF and only collect it after 3 days due the weekend. Problem is with fuel injector. Then again, about 6 months later, I felt a loss of power out of the sudden when driving on the right lane of a three lane road. I had to signal to the left and fortunately, I was near AF workshop and  managed to drag and pull the car to the AF car park. Again, it was fuel injector. A few months passed, and then I got a shock when my fuel consumption nosedive, and I had to use my right foot to depress all the way to accelerate. I sent in the car again to AF. The adviser explained something to me but all these comments were not documented. Then again in the next month, I felt the same problem again with the acceleration, I quickly parked my car at my residence and called for tow. I was told that this time, my warranty has expired and I will be charged with the tow fee amounting $110 plus GST. I told them that I had paid for extended warranty upto 5 years but I was told that extended warranty at AF does not cover towing fee. No choice, pay and pay all the way. Worst thing came when I traded in for a Toyota Wish, the sales person told me 5008 is junk. Paper value plus a few thousands more. What more can I say? My next visit to the new car dealer was the most memorable as the 5008 broke down in front of the new car showroom. Imagine the agony and embarrassment I got. At the same time, I was totally calmed that this French beauty has been traded in. No more French beauty for me from that day onwards.

• Praise 8

Its now 5 years/ 100,000 km. 

Oh ok, so they finally increased from 3 to 5yrs. At 20k/yr ... ok for most average distance drivers ... but i'd really worry beyond that mileage though.

Renault's giving a 150k km and a few other Conti makes are giving from 200k to unlimited mileage to gain buyer's confidence on product longevity and coverage.

Scary stories. But I think that the newer models seems to be getting better in terms reliability?

Maybe it is my wishful thinking as my family just put down Downpayment for a 308SW

Twincharged

not difficult to see so many tiagong or hearsay on French car repair and no parts.

only owners will know what the real answer is.

Safety is upmost important to me and thats why i am fine to put up with little hiccups that comes along my way. 

french sucks... only good thing about a Renault is the ride comfort.

little hiccup? ha!

i had to deal with one for 10years. never again!!!

not difficult to see so many tiagong or hearsay on French car repair and no parts.

only owners will know what the real answer is.

Safety is upmost important to me and thats why i am fine to put up with little hiccups that comes along my way. 

the issue is how many long term owners are there of such cars? 

agree conti safety aspect tends to be better but also depends on which jap car. 

it's not hearsay. i've been an 8 year alfa owner.  not all parts are readily available. and conti parts tend to have shorter lifespan. the plastics, roofliner can give way. for big repairs like gearbox, expect to pay a hefty price. 

im am however fine with big hiccups that come my way. do i recommend it for anyone? no. 

last i recalled it was 5 years not 3

doesn't matter cos it's usually the mileage that determine the wear and tear, not the years

Oh ok, so they finally increased from 3 to 5yrs. At 20k/yr ... ok for most average distance drivers ... but i'd really worry beyond that mileage though.

Renault's giving a 150k km and a few other Conti makes are giving from 200k to unlimited mileage to gain buyer's confidence on product longevity and coverage.

be very careful on warranty. read the fine print.

in the end, this and that don't cover. i was surprised for some conti, engine mount is not covered under warranty. 

Scary stories. But I think that the newer models seems to be getting better in terms reliability?

Maybe it is my wishful thinking as my family just put down Downpayment for a 308SW

as long u don't intend to drive until like more than 5 years, little to worry. 

Toyota vs. Peugeot? 

Is it even a contest?

Car to car, the choice is pretty obvious. Let put it in another way.....how about having a Peugeot wearing a Rolex watch or have a Harrier and wear a Casio? Hmmmm........tough to choose.

french sucks... only good thing about a Renault is the ride comfort.

little hiccup? ha!

i had to deal with one for 10years. never again!!!

Not sure french can suck or not.....for sure, they can fry  [:p] 

French is good for their wine, purfume, handbag, not their cars. Just like, Swiss is for their watches n choco. For cars, Germany.

german cars? ok VW comes to mind

Ferrari is from italy. 

german cars? ok VW comes to mind

Ferrari is from italy. 

French I only like their wine, Italy I can only afford their pizza, not their Ferrari.  [wave] 

I will prefer harrier turbo, impressed by the spacious interior, just by looking at the rides on the road, we can easily know which car was more popular.

↡ Advertisement