Intermittent Fasting (the IF warrior)

Tianmo

Arrow by @pchou, and so I am starting this IF thread for sharing of information. 

We started talking about Intermittent fasting sometime last year in the exercise thread, and along the way more have tried and results are somehow promising, myself benefiting greatly from it.

However, because there are many useful discussions that went on in the thread and many information on IF mayb broken up or buried in the thread, so I am listing some basic of IF for those who are interested  to try but find it difficult to follow the exercise thread. 

The whole talk started here, on page 178

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2658554-exercising-and-losing-weight/page-178

But more information follows after page 237, and more kakis got involved after this, so if you prefer to gather more information, you may want to start reading from page 237 here. 

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2658554-exercising-and-losing-weight/page-237?do=findComment&comment=6138238

There are many inputs from many of the guys over there, whom I am not going to list them all here, just in case i left out anyone. So go check out their inputs over the exercise thread to find out more. 

There is a video I posted on page 237 on Dr Jason Fung, which is a good watch. Do take a look if you are serious into IF. 

Guys over at the exercise thread, do contribute your inputs here as well, but lets keep this to IF only, all other discussions lets still do it at our home base, The exercising and losing weight thread.  ^_^  

Meanwhile, I list here some points to start on IF for your reference. 

There are basically 2 types of IF, one is a 16/8 format where we fast for 16 hours and eat (feed) for 8 hours, the other is 5/2 where we eat "normally" for 5 days and fast 24 hours on 2 days.  Most of us are on 16/8 which is easier and more flexible to changes. Some of us will push up to 18/6, 20/4 as we get more comfortable with it. I am on 22/2 which is a one meal a day (OMAD). Basically the longer you can fast, the more fats it can burn. 

If you have never try fasting before, what we recommend is you start with 12/12 first, which is 12 hrs of fasting and 12 hours of feed to get use to it for a few days. That is if you take breakfast at 7am, you stop eating by 7pm, and no food after 7pm. From 7pm to 7am you are in a fasted state. Duration is fixed, timing you decide. 

Take noted  to cut down sugar as much as possible, best is to go sugar free, which includes no sugar for coffee and tea, no soft drinks, cutting down on carbs will help greatly. But for a start, you can add some fresh milk to your coffee or tea, however this fresh milk will have to go at a later stage as well. 

after 3-5 days, or maybe 1 week, once you are comfortable with the 12/12 arrangement, you may want to increase the fasting/feeding window to 14/10, timing again depends on your choice.  Once you are good, you can prolong it to 16/8, 18/6 and 20/4 as you can mange better. Sometimes we do a 24 hrs once a while also, to see how much more we can push. ( my max so far is 5 days fasted). 

The easiest way to stay on 16/8 is to finish dinner by 8pm and stop eating, skip breakfast and have lunch anytime after 12 noon, this arrangement will keep you in the 16/8 schedule. During your fast, you sld drink more water, and take some pan salt, because as we fat longer, we dont get enough salt from out food. Pan Salt contain 50% lesser sodium, but more potassium and magnetism, which are very important salts for our body to function.  

During your feeding/eating window, you can eat whatever you want, any amount you like, we don't control what we eat and we don't count calories, except for sugar. Sugar is our enemy, stay far far away. 

However, keeping a lower carbs diet will speed up the weight loss process. In general, you can look at losing between 300g to 500g a week depending on individual. If you have more stored body fats, you may seem to loss more weights at the beginning, but those are just water loss. You will start to see weight loss for a few days, then suddenly a weight increase of somewhere between 800g to 1.5kg, (but usually less than what you have lost) this is normal.  After this sudden weight increase, is when you start to feel actual weight loss, from this point what you loss is more fats than water. 

Happy IF, happy weight losing and keeping healthy!!!   [thumbsup]   [laugh]   [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 32

Maybe i should post my progress here. 

But mentioning weight is sensitive for woman

no need mention overall weight lah, mayb just update the drop.  [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

no need mention overall weight lah, mayb just update the drop.  [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Ok! i will update on Friday! Must credit my master!

Ok! i will update on Friday! Must credit my master!

come come, we look forward to seeing some weight drop.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

However, keeping a lower carbs diet will speed up the weight loss process. In general, you can look at losing between 300g to 500g a week depending on individual. If you have more stored body fats, you may seem to loss more weights at the beginning, but those are just water loss. You will start to see weight loss for a few days, then suddenly a weight increase of somewhere between 800g to 1.5kg, (but usually less than what you have lost) this is normal.  After this sudden weight increase, is when you start to feel actual weight loss, from this point what you loss is more fats than water. 

This is very true for my case. First week, drop very fast. Then rebound. Then first month result was very small weight loss.

Cant wait to view my 2nd month result in a few days. :D

This is very true for my case. First week, drop very fast. Then rebound. Then first month result was very small weight loss.

Cant wait to view my 2nd month result in a few days. :D

so far so good right?  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Based on your experience, If after 5 days, then i stop fasting, will i get any rebound? Going holiday this weekend.

Holiday = no fasting

Based on your experience, If after 5 days, then i stop fasting, will i get any rebound? Going holiday this weekend.

Holiday = no fasting

what you lost in the beginning likely water weight, will return shortly but will unlikely go above the original weight. 

Holiday just go and enjoy lah, come back start again lor.

IF is flexible one.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

(edited)

Past week have been stuffing my tummy with mooncake. So scare to look at the weighing scale. [laugh]

mooncake you better stay away from the scale first, I regret looking.  [:p]

But it came back down after my run tho.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

Then where to factor in the beer? Or just drink beer and don't eat can? Lol.

The definition of excess alcohol consumption is generally 7 units in one week or 4 units in one day.

Long post by @tianmo with effort taken. Thumbs up.

With a combination of IF and other things, lost 11% of mostly body fat (and of course associated water retention) over 4 months.

• Praise 1

Then where to factor in the beer? Or just drink beer and don't eat can? Lol.

So are you going to start IF too? I notice you have gained some weight  [laugh]  [:p]

The definition of excess alcohol consumption is generally 7 units in one week or 4 units in one day.

Long post by @tianmo with effort taken. Thumbs up.

With a combination of IF and other things, lost 11% of mostly body fat (and of course associated water retention) over 4 months.

Do you exercise regularly during the 4 months?

↡ Advertisement