New cars with OMV under $20,000 and equipped with handbrake

Threeleggedman

Can I ask if the new Mazda 3 or Subaru Impreza a good choice if I am look for a sedan car? The OMV is not too high but I am not sure about the servicing cost.

↡ Advertisement

Can I ask if the new Mazda 3 or Subaru Impreza a good choice if I am look for a sedan car? The OMV is not too high but I am not sure about the servicing cost.

pls dont buy mazda 3. got manufacturer fault that they cant rectify. vibration issues due to idling rpm

I don't think Mazda 3 is suitable.. The driver seat is nice but not really the spacious easy to access type.. Go try it for yourself

Yes. I am a HWA member. My current car was done by C&C at no cost. I read that Mitsubishi Motors is longer producing the Lancer given that Nissan has bought over the company. I was considering the Lancer EX but I am worried about parts availability in another 5 years down the road. The Altis at 19,900+ cuts to close for comfort with the scheme

I will have to buy from AD so Sienta is out. The wish is good for work and in future if I need space for a wheelchair. I shall go check the Wish, although the OMV is 19,000+

According to the pdf sent by Bro @ct3833, WISH is also very very close to $20k. Might not be in your comfort level since Altis doesn't make the cut. In this case, K3 seems to be your best bet. The features are close to what you might need with Electronic seats and reasonable space. Only setback is the signalling on the left. Would also advise against Mz3 as it isn't spacious to begin with and problems with the car which relates to high maintenance costs. Impreza got handbrake lever?? THought I didn't see it or have I missed that out?

Since u r a HWA member, talk to the manager of your shortlisted car n I believe they will work out something for you in terms of price n additional requests.. I think they will empathize with your situation.. all the best in your car hunting process..

• Praise 3

pls dont buy mazda 3. got manufacturer fault that they cant rectify. vibration issues due to idling rpm

I had the same issue with my brand new GLX back in 2007. In the end C&C got a Jap engineer to replace the throttle body and it was alright then

Yes. I am a HWA member. My current car was done by C&C at no cost. I read that Mitsubishi Motors is longer producing the Lancer given that Nissan has bought over the company. I was considering the Lancer EX but I am worried about parts availability in another 5 years down the road. The Altis at 19,900+ cuts to close for comfort with the scheme

I will have to buy from AD so Sienta is out. The wish is good for work and in future if I need space for a wheelchair. I shall go check the Wish, although the OMV is 19,000+

BM has Sienta from Indonesia, if you don't mind.

Price is about $5-6k cheaper than Wish. if I am not mistaken.

According to the pdf sent by Bro @ct3833, WISH is also very very close to $20k. Might not be in your comfort level since Altis doesn't make the cut. In this case, K3 seems to be your best bet. The features are close to what you might need with Electronic seats and reasonable space. Only setback is the signalling on the left. Would also advise against Mz3 as it isn't spacious to begin with and problems with the car which relates to high maintenance costs. Impreza got handbrake lever?? THought I didn't see it or have I missed that out?

Yup. I will have to find time to go to the showrooms but I thought of seeking advice here to minimise the trips and also do desktop research. I am not very mobile to begin with. I didn't know the Impreza has no handbrake. Thanks for the heads up

Since u r a HWA member, talk to the manager of your shortlisted car n I believe they will work out something for you in terms of price n additional requests.. I think they will empathize with your situation.. all the best in your car hunting process..

Unfortunately, OMV price is fixed by LTA/Singapore Customs, not something HWA can control. I can however get HWA's contact person to nego the selling price i.e. OMV plus all taxes minus the COE. But first, I must adhere to OMV ceiling and get LTA's approval

actually sometimes borneo has ready units to be registered immediately... e. g. wish. i. e. the omv is fixed.

i was offered once by borneo for immediately reg unit

I was told by my former colleague that the Impreza is very stable, but the cost of changing parts is high because of the boxer engine.

Since you prefer sedan, Jazz is out of your radar already. If not, it is a very versatile car, especially with the magic folding rear seats!

Edited by Fitvip

Twincharged

actually you can get any vehicle with electronic hand brake, because they are paired with auto hold function.

cars like Honda Shuttle is better for you as its easier to modify.

you need to make sure the dealer you buying the car from have a tie up with DBS, else you cannot buy with the 10 years loan

still getting used to the shuttle foot brake ... sometime, slipper will hook onto the foot brake pedal when moving the left foot...

would have preferred handbrake ... they could have designed it like the CRV handbrake.

I was told by my former colleague that the Impreza is very stable, but the cost of changing parts is high because of the boxer engine.

Since you prefer sedan, Jazz is out of your radar already. If not, it is a very versatile car, especially with the magic folding rear seats!

impreza signal is on the left.

I am disabled since birth. I have difficulty to even get in a Vezel or Qasqhai. It’s easier to lower the car, sit in and rotate my bum and carry my legs in.

I have a neighbor who also has a handicap label. he is driving a Nissan Sunny,... and the parking lot at the carpark is like his own reserved lot ! [sunny]

I'm curious to know how is the acceleration attached using hands?

It's a modified hand control to control the brake and accelerator. Not common in Sg. I use a steering knob for turning.

It's a modified hand control to control the brake and accelerator. Not common in Sg. I use a steering knob for turning.

Can post some pics if not too inconvenient?? Its a first for me to know as well. Curious as to how it works.. Edited by Buadongdong
  • Praise 1

still getting used to the shuttle foot brake ... sometime, slipper will hook onto the foot brake pedal when moving the left foot...

would have preferred handbrake ... they could have designed it like the CRV handbrake.

impreza signal is on the left.

I have a neighbor who also has a handicap label. he is driving a Nissan Sunny,... and the parking lot at the carpark is like his own reserved lot ! [sunny]

I rather be a normal person than have a reserved lot. Some things in life are priceless, like the ability to walk, run or jump. Some people actually scolded me for taking the lot despite me being on crutches. Some said I got the lot for free. I guess it's education and empathy that people need.

• Praise 14

actually sometimes borneo has ready units to be registered immediately... e. g. wish. i. e. the omv is fixed.

Ok. I shall visit Borneo to see what they say

Thanks to all who have given your inputs. I have shortlisted Mazda 3, Toyota Altis/Wish (depending on OMV) and the Nissan Sylphy. I shall visit the showrooms to find out more. 

wish has a foot brake. so its out i guess.

• Praise 1

Ok. I shall visit Borneo to see what they say

Thanks to all who have given your inputs. I have shortlisted Mazda 3, Toyota Altis/Wish (depending on OMV) and the Nissan Sylphy. I shall visit the showrooms to find out more. 

Good luck in finding the best car, and also in life. I respect people like you for your resilience in overcoming all obstacles in life to make the most out of it, given the limitations that are so unfairly placed on you.

Unfortunately my knowledge of the cars are not wide/deep enough, so can't really give very good suggestions.

I'm not familiar with the current Wish, but the old Wish (which I renewed COE for) only has foot parking brake and not handbrake. Any bros here can confirm what the current Wish has?

Apart from Mazda 3 and Altis, what about Honda? Honda City is by Kah Motors. There is also Honda Shuttle and Grace by the parallel importers - or can you only buy from the ADs?

PIs also has the Toyota Axio, which is close to Altis, maybe cheaper.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1