New cars with OMV under $20,000 and equipped with handbrake

Threeleggedman

Unfortunately, it will take a few months. I've done what I can so it's now up to the evaluation committee. I am hoping for the best.

Wish you all the best bro

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Unfortunately, it will take a few months. I've done what I can so it's now up to the evaluation committee. I am hoping for the best.

All the best bro. Hope everything goes smoothly thereafter.

Hi all,

Unfortunately, my application is rejected as I do not meet the income criteria. I need advice how I can get a new or younger car to replace my current car.

My current car has no value except scrap value. I cannot afford to pay more than 1k in installment as I take home roughly 3k a month. While I will qualify for the exemption of loan restrictions by MAS, borrow full loan over 10 years I feel is not affordable and risky as I may lose my job down the road given that employers can always hire an able bodied person to replace me.

Please share your thoughts. 

Hi all,

Unfortunately, my application is rejected as I do not meet the income criteria. I need advice how I can get a new or younger car to replace my current car.

My current car has no value except scrap value. I cannot afford to pay more than 1k in installment as I take home roughly 3k a month. While I will qualify for the exemption of loan restrictions by MAS, borrow full loan over 10 years I feel is not affordable and risky as I may lose my job down the road given that employers can always hire an able bodied person to replace me.

Sorry to hear about the unsuccessful application. Since you have to pay full purchase price for a car like everyone else, perhaps you would want to re-examine your transport options?

Putting affordability aside, depreciation, road tax, insurance, fuel costs and maintenance will add up to $1100-$1400 a month for a 1.6L bread and butter car. There are also more expenses like ERP and parking to consider.

If a car is truly necessary, then I would advise choosing a new Jap/Kor car, and a 5 year loan.

Let us know how else we can help.

• Praise 1

will it be feasible to get back the same model lancer glx u got previously and reload the configuration you made to the new purchase??

there are quite a few decent glx lancer around up for renewal 

• Praise 2

Hi all,

Have you ever considered  a brand new van at $58K or  $5,800 annual depreciation – Suzuki Every turbo

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=702707&DL=2689

The next best option is Mitsubishi Attrage at $68K – straight line dep over 10 years is $6,500, which is cheaper than used cars

Or perhaps extend the COE of your current Lancer at $42K. Add scrap forgone $7K.

Adds up to a mere $5K a year over 10 years.

If you can, pay cash as the interest  payable can add up to at least $10K

Edited by Vinceng

Sorry to hear about the unsuccessful application. Since you have to pay full purchase price for a car like everyone else, perhaps you would want to re-examine your transport options?

Putting affordability aside, depreciation, road tax, insurance, fuel costs and maintenance will add up to $1100-$1400 a month for a 1.6L bread and butter car. There are also more expenses like ERP and parking to consider.

If a car is truly necessary, then I would advise choosing a new Jap/Kor car, and a 5 year loan.

Let us know how else we can help.

I am glad you provided an estimate. I wanted to be sure my estimate was close. I definitely need a car. I have tried taking bus and MRT but it was a challenge 10 years back and I am sure things are more or less the same with more people using public transport, plus I am getting no younger.

I was dragged by an MRT train with leg outside the cabin during peak hours. I would have lost my leg if not for my mum who pull me in by force just before the end of the platform. The other commuters just watched. I also broke my head after falling on a kerb alighting from a bus. The bus moved even before I alighted fully. I am sure with the emphasis on bus arrival times, it will not be any different now,

I definitely cannot afford a new car with COE. I guess I will either have to stick to the current car or just keep appealing. Hopefully, things will change for the better  

Thank you all for the inputs.

The good thing about my current car is that it has no COE lifespan. The bad thing is it has a mechanical lifespan. I have to spend a substantial sum to keep it in working condition and also pay more for road tax. At 160k km, I am not not sure how long can the car go. But I definitely cannot afford a new car or 2nd hand car (with COE) with my current income. It doesn't make sense as well since I have to modify the steering column to fit the hand control and nobody would want to buy my car. I guess it's a dead end for now.

• Praise 1

The good thing about my current car is that it has no COE lifespan. The bad thing is it has a mechanical lifespan. I have to spend a substantial sum to keep it in working condition and also pay more for road tax. At 160k km, I am not not sure how long can the car go. But I definitely cannot afford a new car or 2nd hand car (with COE) with my current income. It doesn't make sense as well since I have to modify the steering column to fit the hand control and nobody would want to buy my car. I guess it's a dead end for now.

Suggest you keep your current car if your car didn't get into any serious accident before and get a good WS / Mechanic to do the necessary wear and tear replacement. Japanese BnB car is reliable as long as you maintain it. I still see some Toyota Collora which is more than 30 years old already still running on the road.

Edited by Leo72
  • Praise 3

Don't despair. Go see your MP to appeal. Tell him about your work, your activities, your contribution to society. I am sure he will help you. You deserve the help.

In the meantime, persevere with your current car. As @Leo72 pointed out, your car shouldn't be costing the earth to maintain. Just don't go back to AD. Seek advice from brothers here for a good WS to maintain your car. 

Again, let us know how we can help.

• Praise 4

For your case, no other way out since you are under the special scheme and it make no sense to even consider a normal used car.

One thing I can suggest is to go to a few reputable workshops and get quotes for a full repair of your car (critical and also those going to give way components). If the bill size is anything >30% of a new car, use that as an evidence when appealing to LTA again, or as what suggested by @toeknee_33, get your MP to help you with the appeal.

BTW, do you happen to have any report from annual Vicom inspection, stating critical issues with your car, e.g. poor emissions performance, serve mechanical fault, etc. If so, can be another supporting evidence to your appeal.

All the best pal, you have our support here.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 7

My apologies for not giving more details. I have difficulty bending my legs and I use an elbow crutch. I was looking at Mazda 3, Kia K3 and the EX. I would like to know if there are other models fitting the criteria I have listed. In terms of reliability, which model is better.

Note: I left out Honda Civic and Toyota Altis because OMV is more than $20,000 according to one.motoring

Daihatsu sirion or its various iteration. I used to own one and the interior is quite spacious despite its exterior look Edited by Sotong1977
  • Praise 1

Continuing with your current car seems to be best option. 160k is not much to be honest, Japanese cars can easily go 300k+ with proper maintenance. Take a small sum of 5k out to do a one time mechanical renewal of your car and it will be good for another 10 years.

Overall your current car will still be cheaper as compared to a new car if you did all necessary maintainence. 160km is nothing lar.

My Honda was 200+km and my saab was 180+km

I think you just itching to change car

I say keep the car.

• Praise 1

This is one of the few post which I read from page 1.. Very inspiring and heartening to see so many Bros came forward to help at the best of their ability. I'm sorry that I can advise much as I'm still hugging on to my first car.

But I do sincerely pray that you will end this chapter of car hunting with the most favorable solution. God bless you.

Edited by Optramagnum
  • Praise 3

Agree japanese cars can go a long way with proper maintenance. My friend with a 89' corolla is still running at more than 700k km and my old 08' corolla was 430k km at the scrapyard. Can consider to extend...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2