Hyundai i30 N

Toeknee_33

Nice work. If it's possible then really hope the 120k price is real...

The skoda vrs 245 @ 126k seems like a better full featured car than the i30N.
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

The skoda vrs 245 @ 126k seems like a better full featured car than the i30N.

The 245 looks to be a good sleeper car but I do doubt how engaging the drive would be given it's DSG and VW source engine. Somehow sedans are not as agile as hatchbacks. Proven in motorsports and rallies that most races cars are now hatchbacks!

However The i30N is using manual transmission which is more of a double edge sword. It mains not to be as hardcore as Honda or VW but stop short of giving an Auto transmission. Anyone thing is the brand. While I acknowledge the fact that the brand has improve leaps over the past decades, it is still Hyundai, a korean car maker.

I for one doesn't care about brands as long as it drives well, but the missus thinks overwise. To her the brand is a status and one would looked at a Skoda differently vs a Hyundai... and judging by the number of ugly BMW 2 series or the underpower Audi A3 on the roads, I'm sure she's not only one to think like that.

Edited by Pocus

Yeah lor... unlikely it costs the same as the Sonata right? It's definitely at a higher premium compared to the Sonata... so I think would be in the $130K+ range... about $10K less than an Audi A4...

I agree. But as usual the "why pay so much for a Korean car" generic mindset here will provide resistance again.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Should be the i30 Fastback N.

Yup i30n fasttrack. It was mentioned. Edited by Pocus

Yup i30n fasttrack. It was mentioned.

Thanks @Pocus and @DinkyDong

It does looks like a different car..

post-213174-0-18164300-1534236914_thumb.png

Edited by Lplater

Straits Times said this will come October which is next month. Can't wait.

Take it with pinch of salt. The ves test will take awhile too..
  • Praise 1

While I acknowledge the fact that the brand has improve leaps over the past decades, it is still Hyundai, a korean car maker.

I for one doesn't care about brands as long as it drives well, but the missus thinks overwise. To her the brand is a status and one would looked at a Skoda differently vs a Hyundai... and judging by the number of ugly BMW 2 series or the underpower Audi A3 on the roads, I'm sure she's not only one to think like that.

Given the choice between an entry level conti e.g CLA180 or A3 vs a well kitted korean car, faster performance, better styling.. my choice is v obvious based on my username  [laugh] at first my wife also got question why, is it really that fantastic, downgrade leh.. now she's amazed by the car too  :a-happy: but can't help it, women this era naturally more brand conscious.

But I noticed korean car prices creeping upwards all these years.. if it's coupled with continuous significant improvements, I'm ok with it.

• Praise 3

Somehow it squeezes under the Neutral band for VES. [thumbsup]

https://www.torque.com.sg/reviews/hyundai-i30-n-review/

Sales gave an indicative 150k which is 25k more than the Octavia( omv of 26k) . Quite hard to stomach. Unless the omv is substantially higher to justify. But then at 150k, it’s no longer bang for buck. Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Sales gave an indicative 150k which is 25k more than the Octavia( omv of 26k) . Quite hard to stomach. Unless the omv is substantially higher to justify. But then at 150k, it’s no longer bang for buck.

That's very costly.. in terms of desirability & branding, it's not gonna win any hearts so the high listed price is gonna turn off even more customers.

Almost same price as Stinger liao  :blink:

That's very costly.. in terms of desirability & branding, it's not gonna win any hearts so the high listed price is gonna turn off even more customers.

Almost same price as Stinger liao :blink:

Ya. Stinger omv 33k and ARF 38k vs 28k for octavia vrs. But stinger in C1 VES. So extra 10k penalty. C&C still earns more on the stinger. Given that vrs went for 122k and stinger at best 153k? That’s 10k more to C&C pockets.

I reckon I30n has to be under 130k for the base to be successful.

• Praise 1

Ya. Stinger omv 33k and ARF 38k vs 28k for octavia vrs. But stinger in C1 VES. So extra 10k penalty. C&C still earns more on the stinger. Given that vrs went for 122k and stinger at best 153k? That’s 10k more to C&C pockets.

I reckon I30n has to be under 130k for the base to be successful.

Agreed. $130-135K in today's market. Whatever you just said.. makes the VRS super good value.

By the way, same T-Gdi engine from Hyundai-KIA group as the Stinger in the i30N is it? 

i30N 1.4 tonnes 250bhp 6.4s to 100km/h vs Stinger 2.0T 1.67 tonnes 247bhp 6s to 100km/h

Agreed. $130-135K in today's market. Whatever you just said.. makes the VRS super good value.

By the way, same T-Gdi engine from Hyundai-KIA group as the Stinger in the i30N is it?

i30N 1.4 tonnes 250bhp 6.4s to 100km/h vs Stinger 2.0T 1.67 tonnes 247bhp 6s to 100km/h

I believe it's the same engine, but the FWD i30N sprint time probably affected by traction off the line.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2