Your japanese car might not be as strong as you thought !

Ysc3

Hmmm...

If those cars tested in IIHS or EURO NCAP with the ratings, will the safety standards be the same for the same car but manufactured in other regions?

manufacturing cars is about cost efficiency. Their margins are 10% or less. They will generally strip out extra luxury features that can be added on during installation but it's highly unlikely they will change the manufacturing standard of the car.

The more streamlined and efficient they are ie every base car model in the world is the same is where they save money.

The overall shell of the car, panels manufacturing standards are generally all the same. 

Of course if u only taking cars made exclusively for asean or JDM, then it's a different story. Cos they don't even bother to send them for crash test in these countries. It's not a priority in either country.

Just like if a VW jetta is made in mexico vs in central europe, i expect the shell, panels etc all to be the same.

↡ Advertisement

I wonder where r those bunch of jokers who always say bad things abt korean car

korean car like kia metal very tough,

that's why consumption high.  [laugh]

japanese car like toyota metal very thin,

that's why fuel efficiency good. [laugh]

• Praise 1

manufacturing cars is about cost efficiency. Their margins are 10% or less. They will generally strip out extra luxury features that can be added on during installation but it's highly unlikely they will change the manufacturing standard of the car.

The more streamlined and efficient they are ie every base car model in the world is the same is where they save money.

The overall shell of the car, panels manufacturing standards are generally all the same. 

Of course if u only taking cars made exclusively for asean or JDM, then it's a different story. Cos they don't even bother to send them for crash test in these countries. It's not a priority in either country.

Just like if a VW jetta is made in mexico vs in central europe, i expect the shell, panels etc all to be the same.

There is ASEAN NCAP la. Just so you know.

http://www.aseancap.org/v2/

• Praise 1

There is ASEAN NCAP la. Just so you know.

http://www.aseancap.org/v2/

I know. But do they test a large variety enough of cars to say which cars are really good in all ratings?

For the cars I'm more interested in, IIHS tests dozens of cars every year.

Every single year model of the same car is tested there in USA. For example we may only have one pre FL and post FL version here for every 5-6 years of one model. Cos USA market is big enough that every year has different version. some of these changes are also in safety.

Like since iihs started small overlap tests over the last 3-4 years the subsequent 2015 or 2016/2017 models actually have different safety rankings. I distinctly remember that the camry changed its average in small overlap to good (even though it wasn't the brand new model).

Heng, my suzuki car is not in the list.  It is quite heavy.

My friend's car Citroen banged on a stationary mercs.  His whole front bumper came off but the back bumper of the mercs was still intact and there's no dent at all.

the body rigidity of Merce is quite tough, but the trunk seems to be quite light relatively, it notice it on both C and E class. maybe there is already impact zone, so the trunk cover is intentionally designed to be lightweight.  Or my feeling is wrong.

• Praise 1

korean car like kia metal very tough,

that's why consumption high.  [laugh]

japanese car like toyota metal very thin,

that's why fuel efficiency good. [laugh]

Sure anot?

Kia k3 kerb weight 1295kg.

Altis kerb weight 1280kg.

Both cars weight almost same leh?

Tensile strength is not a test by weight lah. Can y'all stop comparing the cars' weight?

When a batch of steel or aluminium comes freshly baked from the steel mill a small random piece is picked to do the tensile test.

It will be put through a machine like this...

pneumatic-wedge-for-steel-cord_image-1.j

Where it will be stretched vertically to the breaking point or failure.

maxresdefault.jpg

The computer will analyse the data and plot a graph like this...

maxresdefault.jpg

I think what Kobe steel did was manipulated this data.

Steel or aluminium are unusual materials. When you work on it like fold creases on the sheet metal, eg. car door or bonnet, the material will strengthen itself after the process. So it will be very hard to tell what kinda after effects it will have when it becomes part of a car. A crash test may give more information but it doesn't pinpoint the fault to the sheet metal that specifically. Whoever in Kobe steel wanted to lie about the tensile strength did give it some thought thoroughly before lying about the numbers. It's not an overnight thing for sure.

• Praise 6

Tensile strength is not a test by weight lah. Can y'all stop comparing the cars' weight?

When a batch of steel or aluminium comes freshly baked from the steel mill a small random piece is picked to do the tensile test.

It will be put through a machine like this...

pneumatic-wedge-for-steel-cord_image-1.j

Where it will be stretched vertically to the breaking point or failure.

maxresdefault.jpg

The computer will analyse the data and plot a graph like this...

maxresdefault.jpg

I think what Kobe steel did was manipulated this data.

Steel or aluminium are unusual materials. When you work on it like fold creases on the sheet metal, eg. car door or bonnet, the material will strengthen itself after the process. So it will be very hard to tell what kinda after effects it will have when it becomes part of a car. A crash test may give more information but it doesn't pinpoint the fault to the sheet metal that specifically. Whoever in Kobe steel wanted to lie about the tensile strength did give it some thought thoroughly before lying about the numbers. It's not an overnight thing for sure.

one of the parts suppied to is IHI and I believe they made turbo along with other things

Test also how siao one lah... They can mfg one fleet of tanks for testing... Then after approval, they produce paper planes for sale.

Dun like Kobe or marbelled beef... Too buttery taste... Yucks.

ya lor...likely possible ...can use the top high grade steel to manufacture test cars or 1st batch. once they get the euro NCAP / japan NCAP rating they desire, all subsequent batches use less than medium grade steel....standard laa...cut manufacturing costs..dats y nowadays I notice jap cars getting lighter and lighter....hollow and hollow

• Praise 1

ya lor...likely possible ...can use the top high grade steel to manufacture test cars or 1st batch. once they get the euro NCAP / japan NCAP rating they desire, all subsequent batches use less than medium grade steel....standard laa...cut manufacturing costs..dats y nowadays I notice jap cars getting lighter and lighter....hollow and hollow

doesn't correspond leh. the cars are actually getting safer and safer.

Not tiagong. U can go see USA social media and news reports, often they show horrific accidents compared to the ones in sg.

Many of them are driving B&B or family cars (jap/american etc) and they get ma chi-ed at cross intersections (of course not at ferrari speeds)

Only get away with minimal injuries.

Steel that is extra high strength tend to be brittle ie snap easily once the maximum limit is reached.

So a car shell is actually made of many different areas of different grade steel so that the car body will crumple in the desired manner in an accident.

Of course unless really high end car whereby most are made of aluminium 

How come so many here still perceive weight as strength?

Here's a video to open up your mind. How a sheet of paper can hold up a stack of books or even the weight of a brick with no issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeB5XhQ2FL4

Imagine that the sheet of paper is a sheet metal used for your car. If it's rolled up like a pipe in the demo, it can withstand a lot more strength dan just a normal sheet of metal with no shape. As you can see other dan the material the design matters too as engineers have learned to reduce weight but not the strength of metals. Ppl need to move on with their outdated mentality and stop talking about cars getting more lightweight as though they are made of paper.

Edited by Watwheels

How come so many here still perceive weight as strength?

Here's a video to open up your mind. How a sheet of paper can hold up a stack of books or even the weight of a brick with no issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeB5XhQ2FL4

Imagine that the sheet of paper is a sheet metal used for your car. If it's rolled up like a pipe in the demo it can withstand a lot more strength dan just a normal sheet of metal. As you can see other dan the material the design matters too as engineers have learned to reduce weight but not the strength of metals. Ppl need to move on with their outdated mentality and stop talking about cars getting more lightweight as though they are made of paper.

wowo and germans jin heavy mah. jin solid mah.

Of course, not saying they aren't. But it's a perception issue.

Edited by Lala81

wowo and germans jin heavy mah. jin solid mah.

Of course, not saying they aren't. But it's a perception issue.

Dunno who ppl listen to. "Tiagong" may be the fault of this kinda mentality.

Dunno who ppl listen to. "Tiagong" may be the fault of this kinda mentality.

haha mercedes have to believe lah. The siao lang who ram the vios and killed that poor man was driving e class!  -_-

• Praise 1

haha mercedes have to believe lah. The siao lang who ram the vios and killed that poor man was driving e class!  -_-

Too many factors. Force = mass x acceleration x angle of impact

If the merc is heavy the force will be big, times the acceleration it will be out of range of any lab test done by car makers.

Use science. Not butt feel. And anything that cannot be explained are not done by aliens. [laugh]

Sometimes i go into the korean threads, and everyone keep saying korean steel jin tok gong whatever ...

FACT:

The Forte/Elantra prior to this current 2016 model was never a top safety pick at IIHS. It could only get Average for small overlap. NO DIFFERENCE from the much maligned Altis/corolla or other sushi brands.

Mz3 was the first jap/korean B&B sedan car that got top safety pick.

Anyway Asia played catchup to the Europeans in terms of safety, and most of their best models have done so.

I would say nowadays, there's probably only a small difference at best in terms of crash testing difference.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1