GPS Standalone

elmoguy

Nah, there are Chinese laws that prohibit "unlicensed mapping", so mostly only the locally-sold map devices and software will work properly. 

It's the same for hardware, those buy in China will work properly, those you bought overseas will not give you the right coordinates even when loaded with China map (likely just a software switch to comply with Chinese laws). It's been like that even before Google was founded.  10 years ago, I bought a local GPS device in China just because US/Singapore Garmin device won't work properly there, it's a known issue.

To comply with China laws, Garmin Connect (the running watch app) runs in China, it will load Baidu Map, and everywhere else it will load Google Map. You record your run, then when you view exactly the same run in Singapore with Google Map, it will show the same location shifted a few hundred metres away.

Apple is apparently licensed in China.

U need to VPN to use Google map.  Even then, it is not properly updated.

I just see my Garmin Connect.  It is using Gao De map.  Map offsetting is not correct.

↡ Advertisement

I have a Garmin GPS from US. The 3D LIVE TRAFFIC works perfectly in North America. US has the infrastructure.

When come to SIngapore, it doesn't work well enough at all.

Yup, it is better to buy GPS locally, as certain feature like Junction View only work in the countries that you purchased.

Just now I wrote so many things but the post came out empty..? 

IMO, best standalone GPS for use in Singapore is Galactio which comes in different brands like Marbella and Holux. Includes live traffic, closed roads, constructions and downtown live parking spaces. Also includes lane assist and junction view. I like that the search is almost immediate.

Can use Malfreemaps but only the SLA map has live traffic. Supports OSM.

Can download Galactio app on iphone/android. It uses offline map, but needs data for live traffic.

However, mobille only uses portrait mode..

Best GPS nav now is Waze which not only tell you traffic, but also if there are objects on floor or TP hiding at bridge. The newest beta may even show a picture of your destination. Problem with it is that the update of your position is quite retarded compared to google maps and as mentioned, doesn't work in tunnels but it does show distance from tunnel entrance, name and exit number that you are supposed to exit. Also, the interface is ugly.

As for Garmin, can't go wrong when you need to go overseas as it has almost worldwide support. Sometimes I use it for trekking as some part of highlands in Malaysia has no data.

Edited by Nicholas

I have a Garmin GPS from US. The 3D LIVE TRAFFIC works perfectly in North America. US has the infrastructure.

When come to SIngapore, it doesn't work well enough at all.

Yup, it is better to buy GPS locally, as certain feature like Junction View only work in the countries that you purchased.

Lane assist is so important.

Get in the wrong lane and you will be like PHV

cutting across a few lane at one time.

:D

Just now I wrote so many things but the post came out empty..?

IMO, best standalone GPS for use in Singapore is Galactio which comes in different brands like Marbella and Holux. Includes live traffic, closed roads, constructions and downtown live parking spaces. Also includes lane assist and junction view. I like that the search is almost immediate.

Can use Malfreemaps but only the SLA map has live traffic. Supports OSM.

Can download Galactio app on iphone/android. It uses offline map, but needs data for live traffic.

However, mobille only uses portrait mode..

Best GPS nav now is Waze which not only tell you traffic, but also if there are objects on floor or TP hiding at bridge. The newest beta may even show a picture of your destination. Problem with it is that the update of your position is quite retarded compared to google maps and as mentioned, doesn't work in tunnels but it does show distance from tunnel entrance, name and exit number that you are supposed to exit. Also, the interface is ugly.

As for Garmin, can't go wrong when you need to go overseas as it has almost worldwide support. Sometimes I use it for trekking as some part of highlands in Malaysia has no data.

Thanks for sharing.

I called up Galactio 2 weeks ago. They told me that live traffic is no longer supported. Garmin, used to support that but not now.

The infrastructure is there and it seems to be the issue of cost plus traffic control issue.

Only Tom Tom states live traffic but their suppprt is very very limited locally.

Waze cannot locate places by postal code or rather limited. Google map no junction view.

Each has their pros and cons. Sitex at expo is coming soon. Will check what's the latest offer there if theres gps.

Thanks for sharing.

I called up Galactio 2 weeks ago. They told me that live traffic is no longer supported. Garmin, used to support that but not now.

The infrastructure is there and it seems to be the issue of cost plus traffic control issue.

Only Tom Tom states live traffic but their suppprt is very very limited locally.

Waze cannot locate places by postal code or rather limited. Google map no junction view.

Each has their pros and cons. Sitex at expo is coming soon. Will check what's the latest offer there if theres gps.

I see. Sorry for the wrong info.I believe the phone version should still have live traffic right? Did you ask about that?

As for Waze, the voice search function is amazingly good for local street names.

Edited by Nicholas

I see. Sorry for the wrong info.I believe the phone version should still have live traffic right? Did you ask about that?

As for Waze, the voice search function is amazingly good for local street names.

Actually, you are not wrong. Galactio  used to support live traffic just like Garmin. 

Waze voice search is as good as Google Map. You are right. They can recognize street names better than postal code. I am amazed too.

Actually, you are not wrong. Galactio used to support live traffic just like Garmin.

Waze voice search is as good as Google Map. You are right. They can recognize street names better than postal code. I am amazed too.

I was sorry because I recommended Galactio, not knowing live traffic will not be supported soon.

I owned a Galactio Holux more than 5 years ago before the unit has some hardware issues and I switched to a Garmin. (Which has awful live traffic support)

The Google map voice search didn't work well for me. Only the Waze one works properly for local names.

Edited by Nicholas

I was sorry because I recommended Galactio, not knowing live traffic will not be supported soon.

I owned a Galactio Holux more than 5 years ago before the unit has some hardware issues and I switched to a Garmin. (Which has awful live traffic support)

The Google map voice search didn't work well for me. Only the Waze one works properly for local names.

Galactio good meh? My car came with a HU whose navigation is by Galactio. Once in a blue moon when I need to use GPS, try it and when keying in postal code, faced the problem of the code i want, is not preset in the system, so cannot key (as it will show you the available codes that can be chosen, as you start keying in the first few digits). Let's say if i want to look for postal code 123456, so key in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - by this time, the screen might show that the available choices to select are 

only, which means i cannot find 123456 at all...

Galactio good meh? My car came with a HU whose navigation is by Galactio. Once in a blue moon when I need to use GPS, try it and when keying in postal code, faced the problem of the code i want, is not preset in the system, so cannot key (as it will show you the available codes that can be chosen, as you start keying in the first few digits). Let's say if i want to look for postal code 123456, so key in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - by this time, the screen might show that the available choices to select are

You need to update maps to get latest POIs and postal codes. Not sure how to update for HU though. All offline GPS will have this problem unless map is updated.

You need to update maps to get latest POIs and postal codes. Not sure how to update for HU though. All offline GPS will have this problem unless map is updated.

How i discovered this was first time, went JB in June (1 mth after collect car), couldn't find the hotel using the postal code given.

Then another month later, was trying to look for a house in East Coast. It's one of those landed property, and must have been there for maybe 20-30 yr. The GPS had a few options of the neighbouring units, I think, but doesn't have the one that I was looking for. 

I don't understand how come the GPS has some units' postal code and not others' when they are next to each other and all are same age (it's not like the house was built last month so it's not yet updated in the map...

I don't use my HU GPS because:

a) The Garmin system doesn't come with 3D Buildings, 3D Terrain, it is just a simple entry level one given to you

b) Annual subscription is expensive which I might as well get a new entry level GPS yearly

c) The map "blow up" to fit the HU screen. Looks ugly and not sharp.

d) The HU is at a location which is low and not suitable for viewing when driving. Dangerous

Google Map works better in Portrait mode than Landscape mode.

In fact, I would think that they should make the Landscape mode better just like a standalone GPS.

Google Map yet to have any junction view. 

Google Map works better in Portrait mode than Landscape mode.

In fact, I would think that they should make the Landscape mode better just like a standalone GPS.

Google Map yet to have any junction view. 

True.

(edited)

Great news that Android Oreo allows Home Screen to rotate to Landscape mode.

post-165514-0-08611900-1535338846_thumb.jpg

Edited by elmoguy
↡ Advertisement