• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic | 97 praises

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:53 PM

Domh
  • Premium member
    Domh
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Would like to check what is the potential pitfall of buying a made in 2016 car in nov 2017. Would it affect my resale value in future.
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

this made in 2016 car is 1st hand or 2nd hand? mileage?
Sienta X 2009, Sienta Hybrid X 2017
PSA: Get car cam if you still have not done so...
PSA2: Apply for vCashcard...

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Domh
  • Premium member
    Domh
    Clutched
    Author Image

Brand new car not registered

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Would like to check what is the potential pitfall of buying a made in 2016 car in nov 2017. Would it affect my resale value in future.

Yes will affect resale value

but not because it's 2016 not very likely people will even ask

But because not many people want to buy when it's new.

That's why it's unsold for a year.

Squeeze the dealer for a lower price.

If you sell to a dealer next time they will do the same to you and squeeze you then.

:)
lausai88, Terrylmt and Volvobrick praised this
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

Domh
  • Premium member
    Domh
    Clutched
    Author Image

So in pricipal should i be asking for discount up to a value of 1 yr depreciation or half?

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:28 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

its strange that the car is kept for one year before selling... did the dealer give any reason?

or as Jamesc said, not a common model?

Edited by kdash, 29 October 2017 - 09:28 PM.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Domh
  • Premium member
    Domh
    Clutched
    Author Image

No reason from dealer. It's not a common model i suppose.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So in pricipal should i be asking for discount up to a value of 1 yr depreciation or half?

try to squeeze a few k from the dealer. but will be tough as technically its still a brand new car in terms of usage.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I speak from experience.

I bought a car in 2007 that was made in 2006.

I scrapped it after 10 years so didn't affect resale value.

Registered date was Jan 22, 2007.

:D
kdash praised this
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

merc280v6
  • merc280v6
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Hmmmm ... must be one of 'em slow-selling cars in SG πŸ˜•

Let me guess... its either a Citroen/DS, Ford, Peugeot, Renault, Alfa Romeo, SEAT, Opel, or MINI!

Or perhaps a Maserati, Lamborghini, or Ferrari?
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Edited by merc280v6, 29 October 2017 - 09:58 PM.

BanCoe praised this

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

lausai88
  • Premium member
    lausai88
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I speak from experience.

I bought a car in 2007 that was made in DEC 2006.

I scrapped it after 10 years so didn't affect resale value.

Registered date was Jan 22, 2007.

correction  :grin:

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Hmmmm ... must be one of 'em slow-selling cars in SG πŸ˜•

Let me guess... its either a Citroen/DS, Ford, Peugeot, Renault, Alfa Romeo, SEAT, Opel, or MINI!

What resale value?? [laugh]

FYI you only talk about resale value when there's a high demand for your type of car. Those ppl can't be bothered ones can forget it.

Even if you try to sell it yourself it will take ages to find someone interested. New car already boh hiew. You mean a used unit will turn it into a gem?

To be honest TS will be looking at paper value offers for these types of cars.

I dun think dealer will give the unrealistic discounts TS is expecting. At most they will throw in freebies or servicing. So be prepared to be disappointed. They are already loosing money, no way they will loose some more to you...that one individual. Got ppl keen means opportunity to make money.

Potential pitfall would be parts not working for a year might have some issue but that's covered under warranty.

Edited by Watwheels, 29 October 2017 - 10:16 PM.

I want to be a nice person but....there are just too many people around who are not smart.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:32 AM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

In this era of cars flying off the shelves faster than the ADs can get COEs for....and some car buyers waiting for up to a year to receive their cars.

To have a brand new car sitting in the warehouse for 1 whole year? Something must be be wrong with the car model.

Circles Life Referral Code: HTWWD

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

Macrosszero
  • Macrosszero
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

A cold-door car. In Singapore where allotments are sold before cars are loaded onto the ship, or whilst they are sailing over, its not uncommon for ADs to bring in uncommitted cars because they needed to fulfill distributorship sales volumes. Kah Motor for example had a bunch of unsold Streams for more than a year because they had the unpopular brown interior trim, so stuck stock isn't confined to crappy brands. 

The lag time before registration, I don't think it affects resale value, you might want to be looking at other factors that affect resale value though, as the rest have suggested. 

Sdf4786k praised this

The gene pool could use a bit of Clorox at times

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:36 AM

Terrylmt
  • Premium member
    Terrylmt
    Supercharged
    Author Image

No reason from dealer. It's not a common model i suppose.

Hey Dom - guess I'll ask the golden question then: What car is this - if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

Lotr8445r
  • Lotr8445r
    5th Gear
    Author Image

So cant get a car on Jan because register on that month typically is car from previous year of manufacturing?

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Check which Month of 2016 the Car is Mfg.?[See the Tires the best]....If Jan or Feb,it is near to 2 Years,then,check the Paintwork for Respray & Rubber parts for cracks....near 2 Years under the Sun & Rain could Damage alot of Exterior Parts.

Mazda 6..2.5.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

Spring
I bought a civic FD 1.6l in Aug 2010 n it was year of manufacture 2008 but they gave a substantial discount for it n was selling practically at cost. Sold it to direct buyer in 2015 with no significant difference but I think if I were to sell to dealer, they would have used the YOM as a reason to reduce the price.

The Civic 1.6l was not selling well in 2010 cos the price diff to the 1.8l was only about $7-8k I think n hence most buyers preferred the 1.8l n it was only after the drastic price cut that the 1.6l could be moved. Anyway in short, if u want to buy a previous year manufacture car, best to get a discount else no point getting it but u can’t ask for a year’s depreciation discount cos car is not registered yet so no depreciation in theory.
Count-Bracula, kdash, BanCoe and Mercs praised this
<!-- isHtml:1 -->

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Sdf4786k
  • Premium member
    Sdf4786k
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

buying a new car that has being sitting at the yard has 2 minor issue.

One, the risk of interior trim like roof lining damage or loop off the ceiling after year 2 and flat spot tires

Or

Flooded interior carpet and worn scuff paintwork from the weather.

Either way, most of these cars would have being offered to rental car company due to the heavy discount. Else the current flavor of the month is Uber / Grab and car sharing company

BanCoe praised this

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

Jusnel
  • Jusnel
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Won't affect resale. But got risk of rust and mold.

Unless u can squeeze the dealer, its not worth getting. Why put yourself so much trouble when there are so many cars and dealers out there?

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users