Buying Manufactured 2016 car in 2017 Nov

Domh

buying a new car that has being sitting at the yard has 2 minor issue.

One, the risk of interior trim like roof lining damage or loop off the ceiling after year 2 and flat spot tires

Or

Flooded interior carpet and worn scuff paintwork from the weather.

Either way, most of these cars would have being offered to rental car company due to the heavy discount. Else the current flavor of the month is Uber / Grab and car sharing company

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Would like to check what is the potential pitfall of buying a made in 2016 car in nov 2017. Would it affect my resale value in future.

Won't affect resale. But got risk of rust and mold.

Unless u can squeeze the dealer, its not worth getting. Why put yourself so much trouble when there are so many cars and dealers out there?

• Dislike 1

Hey Dom - guess I'll ask the golden question then: What car is this - if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance.

Most curious to know too!

its strange that the car is kept for one year before selling... did the dealer give any reason?

or as @jamesc said, not a common model?

My car was stated manufactured 2016 but no months, I collected it 31st May. Wonder the 6 months diff.

My car was stated manufactured 2016 but no months, I collected it 31st May. Wonder the 6 months diff.

maybe your car was the last in the dealer's stock.

if u look at SGcarmart. some cars are mfg 2012 but registered in 2014 and selling in 2017 with 2 owners

I would imagine those were demo cars and the second owner got it at a super good deal and now flogging at the market to make some money

In this era of cars flying off the shelves faster than the ADs can get COEs for....and some car buyers waiting for up to a year to receive their cars.

To have a brand new car sitting in the warehouse for 1 whole year? Something must be be wrong with the car model.

:D

Odd colour that no body likes .... [sly]

Some colours not so saleable ... [smallcry]

• Praise 1

In this era of cars flying off the shelves faster than the ADs can get COEs for....and some car buyers waiting for up to a year to receive their cars.

To have a brand new car sitting in the warehouse for 1 whole year? Something must be be wrong with the car model.

I believe for uncommon car model, even brand new car sitting in the warehouse for long time should be common. Last time i have a friend bought a new car, car manufactured date is more than 2 years from registered date.

Uncommon car model = non-existence resale value. 

Just buy as low depreciation as possible and drive to scrap. Don't need to worry about resale value.

I believe for uncommon car model, even brand new car sitting in the warehouse for long time should be common. Last time i have a friend bought a new car, car manufactured date is more than 2 years from registered date.

• Praise 1

like this one?

Guarantee-100-1-52x20m-Car-Wrapping-Air-

give it to me I will still take....to spray another colour.

Odd colour that no body likes .... [sly]

Yes will affect resale value

but not because it's 2016 not very likely people will even ask

But because not many people want to buy when it's new.

That's why it's unsold for a year.

Squeeze the dealer for a lower price.

If you sell to a dealer next time they will do the same to you and squeeze you then.

:)

this is very true

the resale market already wrecked by Uber and Grab

so unless you plan to drive the whole 10 years, expect to take a big hit when you decide to sell it

the way i see it, the resale market is currently healthy only for luxury cars or very basic cars

brands like Citroen, Ford, Peugeot, Infiniti looks to be suffering

• Praise 2

Odd colour that no body likes .... [sly]

I recall reading an ST article a few years ago, where a few AD SEs were asked which car colors are easier to sell, and which is the slowest to move.

For the former, it's colors like black, silver, dark grey. Easy!

For the latter ... believe it or not, it's red!!

This one I got experience for current ride and previous ride.

a) Impacted Resale Value

My current ride Carens manufactured 27 Dec 2006 and registered Jan 2008 lor.  YOM on LTA 2006.

Every time ask for quote, orrrrr, 2006 car register 2008, a bit lower lor.

b) Conti Spare Part Issue.

First ride manufactured in 1999 registered 2000 lor.  Problem.

Every time buy spare part sure need to return one

Example from 1999 to 2000, that conti got 3 brake pump changed in manufacturing, different mounting hole lor, mechanics can 2 times the part to get the correct lor.   Of course not AD mechanic la ....

Would like to check what is the potential pitfall of buying a made in 2016 car in nov 2017. Would it affect my resale value in future.

I think so. But log card do not say which month.

anyway doesn't matter since you are not looking to sell your car. 

I recall reading an ST article a few years ago, where a few AD SEs were asked which car colors are easier to sell, and which is the slowest to move.

For the former, it's colors like black, silver, dark grey. Easy!

For the latter ... believe it or not, it's red!!

anyway doesn't matter since you are not looking to sell your car. 

Even if selling the car. People are looking at 2015 model instead of manufactured in 2016.

If you are planning to buy a car in Singapore...AND assuming you have calculated your finances and you are good.

Then just buy what you like and and enjoy your ride.

Yes, there are some bits of consideration here & there...but it should not matter since you are already "prepared" for it.

Remember this... Singapore is one of the most expensive country to own a vehicle.

owning a vehicle is never consider an asset ...it depreciates over time and every day it is depreciating, you can't stop it.

This is just my personal thought. And yes, i do own a vehicle and I'm prepared for the expenditures to come...

If one day i feel that i no longer need a vehicle, or i need to hold more cash...then i will unwillingly but prepared to sell off my ride.

[cool]

↡ Advertisement