How to spend your time as a retiree

Victor68

With an aging population, me included. I am not sure what most retirees do and how they 'kill' their time here in Singapore. Post-retirement periods can stretch to 20 years or more and the last lap which can be more than 10 years of your life can be very challenging.

This scene was once common in CC but today, you would have problem even to find them in kopi shops or even HDB void decks. How about another 5-10 years? Surely we cannot do this in MBS. Any old folks club beside old folks home [crazy]

post-9127-0-16551700-1509661874_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15

Ageing population is a multi-pronged problem.

Financial and medical needs are top priorities. Social costs will also be tremendous. The problem can only worsen with our baby boomer generations currently reaching or having reached 65.

Supposing we can increase the proportion of those that go for healthy and active lifestyles, we can help resolve those issues. But to make the switch from couch potatoes to active sportsperson at retirement is not easy.

With an aging population, me included. I am not sure what most retirees do and how they 'kill' their time here in Singapore. Post-retirement periods can stretch to 20 years or more and the last lap which can be more than 10 years of your life can be very challenging.

This scene was once common in CC but today, you would have problem even to find them in kopi shops or even HDB void decks. How about another 5-10 years? Surely we cannot do this in MBS. Any old folks club beside old folks home [crazy]

• Praise 5

You know why there are less older citizens hanging around.......most have to work till 70 and then due to old age once they stopped have to be confined to an old folks home or at home on the bed....
  • Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

Good suggestion n for those belonging to certain religious groups like church, temple, mosque etc I’m sure they need n welcome volunteers. Not trying to be on moral high ground here but I believe it’s pay back time for retirees to give back esp since they now have time. The benefits are 2 ways as the retiree gets to pass time, feel good whilst society needs volunteers to help, assist to carry out the various programmes which the less fortunate require so this is certainly an avenue to explore for retirees.

Of course, time has to be set aside for personal pursuits like holidays, family time n hobbies as well. Retirement shld be enjoyed after your years of hard work so don’t let it be a chore or worry that u got nothing to do as it can be meaningful in many ways but the right mindset n support must be there so that it can be even more fulfilling than your working years.

• Praise 7

I think I will be gymming every day. Basically do things you like, but also important to keep yourself healthy

Actually this is a must do for retirees. Simple exercises like stretching, muscle strengthening n stamina build up are important. Don’t have to do a lot but I guess the problem with most of us is that we don’t know where to start n in fact we may even be doing the wrong exercises which may injure us or don’t give the intended results.

• Praise 16

My plan is to exercise everyday, keep fit and healthy

Lead a simple lifestyle, nothing lavish, probably everyday cook some simple dishes or just eat at hawker

If I have opportunity and can afford, I would love to travel once in a while

But this is like so far away, I still need to slog for many more years

• Praise 10

Actually this is a must do for retirees. Simple exercises like stretching, muscle strengthening n stamina build up are important. Donât have to do a lot but I guess the problem with most of us is that we donât know where to start n in fact we may even be doing the wrong exercises which may injure us or donât give the intended results.

Yup. Most times I see the middle age or older folks only use treadmill or recumbent bikes. They may not know what they are training for, as you mention. In my opinion, doing basic strength training will help prevent atrophy of muscles, balance exercises to prevent falls, and some added cardio will be good enough for all folks. But, this is a topic that will warrant a thread by itself. Shall not digress too much.
  • Praise 5

It is true and I have seen many into their 70 still very actively working, whether phv, taxi, supermarket, etc. but surely at some point they would have to stop or go part time. not like what eviilusion said, end up in old folks home or in bed when you have no choice. 

that window between 65 to 75, probably will be the time you should focus on. 

retirement a lot have to do with the mindset, if one spend 80% of his time devoting to work, upon retirement will be is like the world crumple down and duno what to do next.

Hobbies and regular exercise will help, having a good partner with common interest will help even more.

• Praise 2

I will continue to exercise every day.

Read at least one book a week.

Go do a degree in history just for fun.

Volunteer to give free tuition to low income kids.

Watch a movie once a week. Have a meal in a restaurant once a week.

If I have grandchildren, play with them or drive them to and from kindergarten etc.

I think more than enough to keep me busy.

• Praise 9

It is true and I have seen many into their 70 still very actively working, whether phv, taxi, supermarket, etc. but surely at some point they would have to stop or go part time. not like what eviilusion said, end up in old folks home or in bed when you have no choice.

that window between 65 to 75, probably will be the time you should focus on.

its not they want to work! Is they have too! 1 is to delay the onset of dementia and old age issues and the other so as not to be a burden to their children since they are still mobile. The older gen who sits around at old folk corners and kopi tiam are mostly gone.....its the new gen of older people who understands the hardship and challenges faced by their children and grandchildren.

2 old people living on their own will need $1000/month to scrape through and thats where cpf comes in. I have seen old limping guys who worked for roughly $1000 a month....eventhough his son gives him a monthly allowance he says he doest want to be a burden to his children. In the end the doctor advised him to stop working as his limp was getting worse and working menial job made it worst. These are older workers with minimal education but replacing them as the older folks now will be those educated, upwardly mobile and well read! So of course to maintain that lifestyle one has to work.......or maybe help to take care of their grandchildren. Bo eng liao lor.....money makes the world go round.......

From a very personal experience ... 

please make sure that the old folks are well versed in CPR ... 

As they are in pairs... any emergency... they will be each other's best help... those precious few minutes cam save a life. 

• Praise 6