How to spend your time as a retiree

Victor68

Well there's a lot of things can do after retirement, I will return to society and try to do some social work.  As a semi-retiree now, I help my wife looking after our grandchildren but most of the time I plays and to spoil them; this is what grandpa should do :)  On free time, I read and surf internet and hitting some balls at the driving range once a week. Spending time with my wife and children every weekend.  Also drinking beers and wine with my buddies occasionally.  

Edited by AltisOwner
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12

how come it's so DIFFERENT from the brochure that I see for retirement planning? [bigcry]

or this only apply to AMDK land. is it too late for me to cabut to Perth? [sly]

post-7984-0-77310500-1509677459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 4

Well there's a lot of things can do after retirement, I will return to society and try to do some social work. As a semi-retiree now, I help my wife looking after our grandchildren but most of the time I plays and to spoil them; this is what grandpa should do :) On free time, I read and surf internet and hitting some balls at the driving range once a week. Spending time with my wife and children every weekend. Also drinking beers and wine with my buddies occasionally.

eh....bro....i thought you already giving back to society in ahjason's thread....
  • Praise 5

another singapore dream that hard to "chase"

i can only think of KFC and McDonald for retirement ... at least got aircon

but the jobs are taken by millenial and FT and soon taken by robots ... [bigcry]

Well there's a lot of things can do after retirement, I will return to society and try to do some social work.  As a semi-retiree now, I help my wife looking after our grandchildren but most of the time I plays and to spoil them; this is what grandpa should do :)  On free time, I read and surf internet and hitting some balls at the driving range once a week. Spending time with my wife and children every weekend.  Also drinking beers and wine with my buddies occasionally.  

Edited by Wt_know

Good suggestion n for those belonging to certain religious groups like church, temple, mosque etc I’m sure they need n welcome volunteers. Not trying to be on moral high ground here but I believe it’s pay back time for retirees to give back esp since they now have time. The benefits are 2 ways as the retiree gets to pass time, feel good whilst society needs volunteers to help, assist to carry out the various programmes which the less fortunate require so this is certainly an avenue to explore for retirees.

actually don't even need religious groups.

A lot of PA volunteers are retirees. U can see them doing all the PA family events etc.

There are also things u can join if u live in a HDB neighborhood. My dad goes to some morning exercise lesson few times a week (start freaking early 6am). My mum goes to some line dancing thing once a week.

Even the retirees from landed property near my parents place also join. 

• Praise 2

retirement a lot have to do with the mindset, if one spend 80% of his time devoting to work, upon retirement will be is like the world crumple down and duno what to do next.

Hobbies and regular exercise will help, having a good partner with common interest will help even more.

yup happened to my dad. took him 1-2 years to get used to it. The quarrels with my mother were endless during that period.

Whole family upset  [thumbsdown]

• Praise 1

Travel the world and the seven seas

some of them want to abuse you, some of them want to be abused? 

so which one you prefer?   [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 4

Become mcf mod?

now only sph staff are mods liao. no more suka suka elect one

so which one you prefer?   [laugh]  [laugh]

everybody is looking for something

From a very personal experience ... 

please make sure that the old folks are well versed in CPR ... 

As they are in pairs... any emergency... they will be each other's best help... those precious few minutes cam save a life. 

need to be well trained also.

Suddenly teaching someone at that kinda age CPR, they won't be well versed also. A few hour course isn't going to help a lot, u forget a lot of stuff.

Unless u been practicing every once a while since your younger years

• Praise 1

so which one you prefer? [laugh][laugh]

Hahahahaha you know :XD:

now only sph staff are mods liao. no more suka suka elect one

everybody is looking for something

need to be well trained also.

Suddenly teaching someone at that kinda age CPR, they won't be well versed also. A few hour course isn't going to help a lot, u forget a lot of stuff.

Unless u been practicing every once a while since your younger years

Huh our mods are now sph people?

Damn

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

retirement a lot have to do with the mindset, if one spend 80% of his time devoting to work, upon retirement will be is like the world crumple down and duno what to do next.

Hobbies and regular exercise will help, having a good partner with common interest will help even more.

My dad is in his 70s, works by choice, but at a slower pace now. Fortunate that he's running his own business.

He jokingly said a few of his friends actually passed on within months after retirement.

He can't do much exercise due to a heart bypass done some years back.

So work is his pass time now

My fil is more active, 80s every morning he'll walk in the park. Dunno where he walks to buy always take about about 3 to 4 hours.

My mom and mol.. both couch potatoes..

My dad is in his 70s, works by choice, but at a slower pace now. Fortunate that he's running his own business.

He jokingly said a few of his friends actually passed on within months after retirement.

My fil is more active, 80s every morning he'll walk in the park. Dunno where he walks to buy always take about about 3 to 4 hours.

my FIL has been taking buses all over the island from terminal to terminal, he is still on the bus today after 15 years  [laugh]  [laugh]

Turbocharged

Travel the world and the seven seas

Must still able to walk by then..

Hope the bionic limbs tech has become more affordable by then..

• Praise 1

careful hor....my father's dementia set in at 80 plus........took him 4 hrs to go have a haircut.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

careful hor....my father's dementia set in at 80 plus........took him 4 hrs to go have a haircut.

Wth..
↡ Advertisement