How to spend your time as a retiree

Victor68

• Need to win. Fixated on proving one's superiority, an individual is out to win a debate or argument at all cost - never mind the feelings of others and the adverse effect of his responses on them.

CCB needs to read this before its too late.  [thumbsup]

:D

i did note this point. Same thoughts.

Women are multi taskers being wife, daughter, mother n worker 4 in 1 n it’s my take that they adjust to whatever situations thrown at them better than men in general n so they can adjust to retirement much easier than men, my 2 cents.

yeah part of our male ego is inherently tied to bringing home the bacon. U have to readjust if u aren't doing so.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

nope.....i wont do that! The day i pretend like what you described will be the day i retire! I rather live a day without being cursed than a hundred filled with curses and swears targetted at me when i am old. I fear the day that my children pays for my karma.

Hi Guys, watch this video.......... Have a nice weekend especially to be with your parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hih94NpO1k

• Praise 6

Hahaha actually I don't have bad luck lah.

I have been very fortunate in life. Always had a roof over my head

always had food and never hungry. Had so many good things happen.

I think I shouldn't keep asking for things but should pay back to society.

Instead of always asking for a good looking lesbian to take me around

the world I should be offering to take a good looking young lesbian around

the world. I will try to stop being so selfish and self centered from now on

and be more giving and sharing from now on. [thumbsup]

:D

Walau eh, your MIL is your karma lah...

• Praise 5

actually, try cooking up a 3 dish 1 soup meal from scratch yourself. From going to market and getting all the ingredients and actually doing all the prep and finally cooking them all in sequence

U'd realise it requires a large amount of working memory. When i first started, i also struggled. Even for a high functioning individual at probably the peak of my mental focus and working memory.

It's one of the things i suspect why like you said, retired housewives decline slower in cognitive function compared to men.

U see a lot of 70-80s men who aren't that sharp anymore, but u see many women in their 70s still no different from their 60s.

I didn't think that was a big deal.

When I have time, I'll drop by a supermart, buy a couple of meat and veg,throw them in the fridge.

When I feel like it, then I take them out to cook and consume of cuz. 

Cooking is an art. After you practice a bit, it gets easier.

Just need a lot of spices, a bit of salt and sugar.

Since I'm cooking for myself, it doesn't need to have high standards. Just need to be cooked and palatable. [:p]

And sometimes, it's just instant noodle for the late night.

Walau eh, your MIL is your karma lah...ð

Hahaha then I have a lot of bad luck lah.

I think I need 100 flower baths with young

maidens to remove the bad luck.

• Praise 1

When I have time, I'll drop by a supermart, buy a couple of meat and veg,throw them in the fridge.

Since I'm cooking for myself, it doesn't need to have high standards. Just need to be cooked and palatable. [:p]

Instant noodle add liao can also be very nice

• Praise 3

That is because u are just cooking with whatever u have in the fridge.

What u are doing is just a habit/routine. There's nothing challenging about it.

Granted cooking on most days is just a routine/habit for most housewives. When I'm tired and still want to prep a meal, that's what I do too.

The ones that ask the family what they want for dinner tonight and then prepare everything accordingly during the daytime is the one who benefits the most.

If the housewife is the type where "guys this is what you get, eat it or leave it" then no there is no cognitive benefit.

• Praise 1

Granted cooking on most days is just a routine/habit for most housewives. When I'm tired and still want to prep a meal, that's what I do too.

The ones that ask the family what they want for dinner tonight and then prepare everything accordingly during the daytime is the one who benefits the most.

If the housewife is the type where "guys this is what you get, eat it or leave it" then no there is no cognitive benefit.

Well my wife is exactly the type you mentioned. Without fail will always ask prior cooking what we want for dinner.

When we deligently suggested ...she will also without fail said..this one better...WTH...why ask in the first place. Ask for song!

Edited by Kopites

agreed. this is why my wife always feel frustrated whenever she asks what i want to eat and i say "anything" haha...

I would rather take land transport. Can sleep through the nite. Morning wake up full of energy to go shopping and shopping..and shopping

Well for discussion purpose..my local born boss still working at late 60. Quite energetic for his age. Memory superb good. Monday through to Saturday sure be it at office or sites. I reckon nonew here as rich as him. Local construction industry should know there are many big bosses working till 70.

In fact I know one big boss at late 70s barely can walk chauffeur around in Bentley convertible.

i can identify with this as i am in the same industry. i always joke with my site supervisors that i will become like one of them when i hit 57 which is when my son graduates haha... go out to site look look see see, then go home on time.

personally i dont think i will fully retire as i will try to find something to do. social/volunteer work is a possibility as i am already doing it now on a yearly ad-hoc basis with my church.

my dad just retired to be a full-time babysitter and wife-irritant hahaha

This seem to be the route most people take. Nothing wrong but sound like becoming a 'house husband' for retiree. [bigcry]  At this point, even the 'house wife' wants to have her turn to walk away from her routine.

You see, in our work environment, our 'friends' are mainly colleagues or those working within your working circles. having spent so much of your time with these people, your next closest group are your immediate family or at most neighbours. I would say not that many close friends because they too are in the same situation as you, busy bringing food to the table.

Now that you suddenly have so much time whilst those still in employment have no time to entertain you. You need to look for people in the same situation as you. So, go the nearest park to say hello or kopitaim? Do they share same interest and able to interact with you? This is a challenge. I think we need to work on this before retirement. :a-confused:

One problem is that not everyone of the friends or relatives might be 'free' to get together when one is retired, so it's not always easy to find people of common interest to interact. Or at least not for v long.

My parents have a group of good friends who were working either in the same company or the same industry when they were in late teens or twenties. For years they had annual get together and i thought that was amazing. I grew up helping out when they had the gatherings. But this stopped 2 years ago, just a couple of years after my father retired. The problem, they said, was that more and more of the gang has passed away, and a few of them are not so mobile/alert anymore so it's not easy to get them to meet...

Actually its a good thing to pick up cooking, housework and other mundane but important chores esp for us men who normally depend on wives, maids etc. I know some of the newer generation guys are very adaptable at this unlike the older generation men.

I hope to do this as well esp cooking as I’m really a noob at this. These are survival skills n there is a saying that a lot of husbands go downhill very quickly if their wives go before them but women are more independent in that they can survive without a husband quite easily. Perhaps that’s why God made it such that women in general live longer than men?

Ha ha... maybe one day i should try to pick up some cooking too...

the only times i cooked was in the army cooked maggie noodles plus luncheon meat.

Tks for the advice! I donât really have a passion for cooking, more eating haha. Nevertheless, I canât depend on my wife forever n whilst u can buy food or cater if needed, nothing beats home cooked meals!!

Women are multi taskers being wife, daughter, mother n worker 4 in 1 n itâs my take that they adjust to whatever situations thrown at them better than men in general n so they can adjust to retirement much easier than men, my 2 cents.

agreed! i am inspired to try to take up cooking. it can alo be a family bonding activity with the kids involved.

Can't agree more.

It's more of survival skills in life and about life satisfaction of accomplishing it yourself.  [angel]

Edited by DACH
↡ Advertisement