Friend issued legal takedown 4 posting full article in forum

nuttyprofessor

So just a heads up, in case you feel inclined to share everything, better don't.

Btw she had to make a public apology never to undertake similar action in the future.

Better be safe than sorry fellas.

PS: I am not at a liberty to reveal which company did that, or which forum it took place in either.

Waste bandwidth.

Lock this thread and give warning!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

TS is probably referring to libel or defamation. 

Seriously nothing to be worried about. 

As long as what you said is factual, no matter how negative and how many times you repost it, on how many social media, will always be ok. 

Ie you cannot be defaming anyone if you speak the truth

But if u say something that is untrue, non factual or cannot be substantiated, then you open yourself up to liability. 

And even then, they would have to prove damages in court. 

So if tio a C&D(cease and desist) letter, dont panic, check back to see if your comments were untrue , unsubstantiated or simply made up.

If they were not, then nothing to worry about. 

Just write back and say, i'll see you in court.

Many times lawyers letter is nothing but a raise(in poker terms) or a bluff. You need to call it down once in a while.

If they dont have strong case, they may not proceed, cos they may get scolded by the judge for wasting the court's time. 

If judge really dulan, may also make plaintiff pay costs. 

Just out of curiosity, if I post on website, Mr XXX is a moron, is that grounds for libel?

If you have an IQ of 120-125, most ppl would appear to be a moron to you, and if he/she has an IQ of lower than 70, probably he/she would appears to many ppl as a moron.  In both cases, I think you are quite safe.  [:p][laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

TS is probably referring to libel or defamation. 

Seriously nothing to be worried about. 

As long as what you said is factual, no matter how negative and how many times you repost it, on how many social media, will always be ok. 

Ie you cannot be defaming anyone if you speak the truth

But if u say something that is untrue, non factual or cannot be substantiated, then you open yourself up to liability. 

And even then, they would have to prove damages in court. 

So if tio a C&D(cease and desist) letter, dont panic, check back to see if your comments were untrue , unsubstantiated or simply made up.

If they were not, then nothing to worry about. 

Just write back and say, i'll see you in court.

Many times lawyers letter is nothing but a raise(in poker terms) or a bluff. You need to call it down once in a while.

If they dont have strong case, they may not proceed, cos they may get scolded by the judge for wasting the court's time. 

If judge really dulan, may also make plaintiff pay costs. 

QFT. Nobody can sue you or take you to court before a C&D. And if the C&D doesn't make sense, one has every right to refute it and counter "sue". Of course you will have to fork out a negligible sum for serving your notice.

Source: Am still pending a 2 year counter-sue from a company who insisted that I remove my opinions.

• Praise 1

Just out of curiosity, if I post on website, Mr XXX is a moron, is that grounds for libel?

Would you done the same?

If you have an IQ of 120-125, most ppl would appear to be a moron to you, and if he/she has an IQ of lower than 70, probably he/she would appears to many ppl as a moron.  In both cases, I think you are quite safe.  [:p][laugh]  [laugh]

Does that mean that i could say Rxxx is moron?

:XD:

I am not a trained lawyer, but i believe it to be possible. 

It depends on the circumstances of the case, Eg whether it is true or not, how believable your words are, how much injury you caused given his job, if loses business or his job cos people believe him to be a moron etc

TS mention full article. Maybe something to do with plagiarizing?

Anyway, it's good practice to give credit and source for whatever pictures or articles you found and wanted to share in the forum. Most ang moh forums I visit have this kind of practice.

• Praise 1

Wah, èè½å¹³é³è¢«ç¬æ¬º man..

I will invite all ex mods to our next MU... we are still comrades in wheels..

Hahaha I sappork!

i am wondering what about those news articles on Straits Times, Yahoo or CNN website?

is it liable for being sued if we copy and paste the full article? and whether we wont have an issue if we just give credit like "Straits Times:", "Yahoo:" , "Channel News Asia:"

Should be no problem as long we indicate the source. Just put the link lor. I always do that.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2