Nokia returns to Singapore with new smartphones

DACH

Nokia 7.1 goes official w/ Snapdragon 636, dual Zeiss cameras, costs just $349

https://9to5google.com/2018/10/04/nokia-7-1-official-specs-price-us/

nokia_7_1_blue_2.jpg?quality=82&strip=al

Nokia’s upper-midrange device the Nokia 7.1 was officially announced today at a London launch event. Somewhat expectedly, the device follows the design language of the previous Nokia 8 models, but with a typical 2018 notch, Android One, and an affordable price tag in tow. Here’s everything you need to know.

The device will feature the polarizing notched display, which measures in at 5.84-inches and has a 1080 x 2244 pixel IPS LCD HDR-capable display with a 19:9 aspect ratio. The display is wrapped in an aluminum frame with a glass sandwich design. As for the notch, it’s similar in size to the OnePlus 6, and one of the better-looking attempts by Android manufacturers to add the feature.

Soft chamfered edges make the device comfortable to hold but the overall weight of 160g means it feels sturdy when gripped. That being said the glass back might be slippery, meaning a case is a good option. Nokia says that official Nokia 7.1 cases will be available starting at $10. That being said, the shiny glossy back looks great in varying lighting conditions and deserves to be seen. There’s also a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor – the perfect positioning in my opinion.

nokia_7_1_blue_1.jpg?quality=82&strip=al

Wired audio is still par for the course with the Nokia 7.1, with an up-top 3.5mm headphone jack allowing for standard headphone usage. Nokia is sticking with the standard, which, although popular, is increasingly become a major differentiator between mid-range devices and high-end devices. If you like the potential for wired headphone usage, then this is one of a few devices that is still supporting the standard.

As for exact measurements, the Nokia 7.1 Plus measures in at 149.7 x 71.18 x 7.99mm with a small camera bump. The camera will sport a dual camera Zeiss lens setup with a 12-megapixel main sensor and 5-megapixel secondary sensor.

Powering this follow-up to the popular Nokia 6 device will be the Snapdragon 636 CPU and the 7.1 Plus will come in two distinct memory/storage configurations – 3GB/32GB and 4GB/64GB options, the latter of which being the only option in the United States. Expandable microSD card storage is also available. Battery life is always one area that any mid-range devices is almost bound to excel and the Nokia 7.1 has a 3,060mAh battery which should provide solid endurance.

nokia_7_1_steel_1.jpg?quality=82&strip=a

A major selling point to this new wave of Nokia devices will undoubtedly be the Android One branding – which will mean regular updates and, hopefully, great long-term performance. Out of the box, though, the Nokia 7.1 runs on Android 8.1 Oreo. An Android 9 Pie update will be made available very soon, though.

As for launch details, the Nokia 7.1 will launch in European markets of course, but also in the United States. In the States, the phone will costs just $349 and will be available for pre-order starting tomorrow from Amazon, Best Buy, and B&H Photo. Shipping starts October 28th. As for Europe, the Nokia 7.1 will be available from the 22nd October and will be priced at 349 Euros for the basic model or 400 Euros for the 4GB RAM/64GB storage variant. Nokia is also launching two pairs of wireless headphones with the 7.1, including one truly wireless option.

Stay tuned for our hands-on coverage of the device!

Hands-on: The Nokia 7.1 fuses elegant design and Android One for a great experience

https://9to5google.com/2018/10/06/hands-on-the-nokia-7-1-fuses-elegant-design-and-android-one-for-a-great-experience-video/

Firstly, the build quality is as you’d expect from Nokia; the aluminum frame and glass sandwich design gives it a heft that you tend to find in devices that cost double. The chamfered edges are a little sharp for my tastes, but don’t mean it’s uncomfortable to hold — far from it. Honestly, I was shocked just from the build quality that this is a sub-$350 smartphone.

Not that it’s perfect, as the glass — both front and back — picks up fingerprints at a level I haven’t seen for a long time. That’s especially disappointing when you see the Gloss Midnight Blue in person, as it’s a really nice color that veers slightly away from the standard black that it looked until in my hands.

Performance is great thanks to the Snapdragon 636 CPU and the lightweight Android One pre-installed — which is currently the Oreo flavor — and will be updated to Android Pie in the coming weeks. Overall switching apps and moving between screens was slick and smooth, I’d wager this device will be fine for a vast proportion of smartphone users.

Whilst Nokia mentioned new camera tech specs and features, including the updated Pro mode, it wasn’t exactly the best setting to get the most out of the camera. Expect an update on the camera performance once my full review comes out. I wasn’t exactly wowed by the camera, but neither was I disappointed for what it’s worth.

I like the addition of the fingerprint reader, but I didn’t like the actual fingerprint reader itself. When it worked it was fast, but I often missed it or couldn’t feel it proper on the back of the device. This is something I’ll need to investigate further in my full review.

The display was great, it’s a 1080p panel that even allows for HDR video playback on YouTube, something I don’t think any other sub-$400 Android phone can claim. I liked how good everything looked, from the homescreen to videos playing back — even if the web connection was terrible and videos didn’t play fluently.

It would be rude not to mention the notch when talking about the display. The notch on the Nokia 7.1 is smaller than many of the competitors — including the OnePlus 6 — which I think has one of the better notched displays. One thing I did notice was that when going full screen the video did not wrap around the notch, instead, that portion of the screen blacked out to hide it. Personally, I think that is a pretty interesting way of dealing with it — almost like Nokia would rather there not be a notch at all.

Another minor sore point was the storage on the test model I and a few others were given. It had 14GB of the 32GB internal storage pre-allocated. If you opt for this model, then you need to invest in a microSD card — which this device supports the addition of.

But overall, I was very impressed with the short time I had with the Nokia 7.1. It was a smart decision to go with Android One. On modest hardware it’s clear when a device is running a heavy skin, but this brand new Nokia device is a superb example of smooth software on modest hardware. I’m excited to see how it does with more testing.

Launch details

The Nokia 7.1 will launch in European markets of course, but also in the United States. In the States, the phone will costs just $349 and will be available for pre-order from Amazon, Best Buy, and B&H Photo. Shipping starts October 28th.

As for Europe, the Nokia 7.1 will be available from the 22nd October and will be priced at 349 Euros for the basic model or 400 Euros for the 4GB RAM/64GB storage variant. Nokia is also launching two pairs of wireless headphones with the 7.1, including one truly wireless option.

• Praise 2

There's always something I find strange and amusing whenever phone reviewers say:

- glass = slippery

- glossy surface = slippery

In fact, it is the reverse.

A matte aluminum or steel surface will more slippery to the human hands.

Noticed how the grab poles on the older MRT trains (glossy chrome) and newer trains (matte finish) feel and grip?

5 rear cameras!

Nokia 9 PureView is bringing its five rear cameras before MWC, next month

https://www.t3.com/news/nokia-9-pureview-is-bringing-its-five-rear-cameras-before-mwc-next-month

screenshot_2019-01-17_at_08.46.00.png?it

The Nokia 9 PureView is set to live up to its name by bringing us the world's first penta-camera, yup that's five snappers on the rear, as early as February.

The Nokia 9 release date has leaked by Nokia distribution sources to 91mobiles, which says we will see the phone launched in early to mid February. Yup, it looks like Nokia's company, HMD Global, wants to get a head-start on the MWC launches at the end of February. With the Samsung Galaxy S10 expected to steal the show early with a February 20 launch, this is a smart move. 

While Nokia will also launch several other phones that month, the source claims, we're more interested in other leaks around the Nokia 9. Specifically new information about the under-screen fingerprint reader. After digging about in some code, Love Nokia claims to have found animations that will be displayed on-screen when the in-display fingerprint reader is used. Check out the super-brief videos of those options below.

In another leak it looks like the initial Nokia 9 will come with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 CPU but the company is working on a variant with the latest Snapdragon 855, which is 5G capable. Expect that to appear later in the year after the competition have all launched their 5G handsets. 

That new penta-camera should be enough to sell handsets right away thanks to up to ten times more light let in, meaning super low-light photography, fantastic video stability and awesome effects options. 

Other leaked specs include a 5.9-inch QHD display, 128GB storage and 8GB of RAM plus Android 9 Pie and a 4,150mAh battery. All that should be priced at around the £700 mark if rumours are accurate.

↡ Advertisement