Penang hit by worst flood in decades

Terrylmt

@mustank, this morning paper got some pictures, some roads kana quite badly by the flood, until like also hongkan. Shops and homes also tio water run deep deep. Better see if can change plans or not if possible.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

If the flood affected those areas where most tourist will go, think best is to cancel the trip to penang if you are planning to go there within this month. Even flood has subside, the area and water supply might get affected. Maybe not safe for water and food supply. 

yup Georgetown was one of the main areas affected. See the pic in this link below

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/11/05/penang-floods-met-dept-forecasts-more-rain/

I was actually planning to go penang/hatyai in two weeks time. Have to reconsider. Maybe go Ipoh/Cameron highlands instead.

• Praise 4

@mustank, this morning paper got some pictures, some roads kana quite badly by the flood, until like also hongkan. Shops and homes also tio water run deep deep. Better see if can change plans or not if possible. [:p][laugh][laugh]

Yeah man

I now seriously considering

So far I listen mcf advice all very good one

• Praise 3

This was 8 Nov 2016!

i know. Shows even MY follows sg to unrecognise the word 'flooding' it since a year ago. :D

Edited by Karoon

yup Georgetown was one of the main areas affected. See the pic in this link below

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/11/05/penang-floods-met-dept-forecasts-more-rain/

I was actually planning to go penang/hatyai in two weeks time. Have to reconsider. Maybe go Ipoh/Cameron highlands instead.

With so much rain, take note of reports on landslide in CH...

• Praise 2

But if you have already booked flight and hotel, if you cancel your trip most likely cant refund back.

With so much rain, take note of reports on landslide in CH...

yup thanks.

But if you have already booked flight and hotel, if you cancel your trip most likely cant refund back.

yup no worries, self-drive n no pre-bookings for hotels. free n easy :)

Then you can monitor the situation and change plan anytime you want without worrying no refund from hotel and flight.

Last time maybe kids are more ignorant on dangers?! Lol. Whenever there was flood last time, kids love it so much and never think of any danger ahead.

Confirmed that time when i (and i was not police) wore shorts, the word danger was not in my dictionary lor...

but actually had heard of kids being swept away and drowned before maybe (can't be absolutely sure of year) that time too... dunno why that time so garung or clueless, still went ahead and walked in flood... now if my kids tell me they do this, i think i'll freak out.  [dizzy]

yup thanks.

wah bro, long time no see you...

better be careful hor. what car you driving now? Got new forester xt?

Confirmed that time when i (and i was not police) wore shorts, the word danger was not in my dictionary lor...

but actually had heard of kids being swept away and drowned before maybe (can't be absolutely sure of year) that time too... dunno why that time so garung or clueless, still went ahead and walked in flood... now if my kids tell me they do this, i think i'll freak out.  [dizzy]

I believe the older you get, the more things that you will scare of doing. And the younger you are, the word danger really not in your dictionary. I also wonder why le?! Lol.

With so much rainfall now, there is possibility of landslide in Cameron Highland.

If die die must go, Brinchang is the safest bet being the highest point.

• Praise 2

i also planning to drive up Bangkok in 10days time.....

car all serviced and tyres changed. all ready to travel up north.

• Praise 2

Yup. We also tot it fun that time when a few of us walked through flood water for about 600-800 m to take bus. But thinking back, it was a really bad decision, as we could easily have fallen into the drains and be swept away by water and drowned... oh, i was a non-swimmer too - shows how ignorant we were at that time... Thank god nothing bad happened.

My mum's neighbour was swept away when he alighted from the bus long ago. He was 14 or 15 that time. His body was found the next day.

I think last time people dun know how to swim.

i also planning to drive up Bangkok in 10days time.....

car all serviced and tyres changed. all ready to travel up north.

Have a great trip!
  • Praise 2

My mum's neighbour was swept away when he alighted from the bus long ago. He was 14 or 15 that time. His body was found the next day.

Have a great trip!

During flash flood, even you know how to swim might not able to survive due to the high and fast flowing of water.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

Have a great trip!

Sigh... yah, those news very sad. I thought most of the victims were less than 10, even 14/15 also kanna?

yup, last time where got so many pools to learning swimming? only nowadays got lots of public and condo pools, everywhere also got swimming lessons then most kids can swim.

In any case, if swept away by strong flowing water in drains, etc., not sure whether knowing how to swim will definitely save one from drowning - can be pulled along by the fast-flowing water and can't breathe and can't hold breath too long when head in underwater being carried along... it's only until open area can trap water and breathe, then still got chance...  [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1