A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

The way I look at it, the possible model at launch are:

1) Superb 2.0 TSI (220ps). Although competing with Passat, but the LWB shall attract a different group of buyer and allow VW to price it at similar price point as Passat.

2) Kodiaq 2.0 TSI (180ps). Again, being a LWB model, it shall be able to fill the gap (7-seater SUV) left by the standard Tiguan 2.0 TSI (220ps), and expand it market share through both model.

3) Octavia RS245 (245ps). No direct competitor in VW stable, as the closest would be Golf GTi / Golf R, which are hatchback, NO 4 door sedan.

4) Karoq 1.4TSI. VW currently do not have another SUV of similar size in it stable (except for Seat Ateca), and naturally, a good alternative to the like of Q3, X1, GLA, etc.

5) Fabia 1.0 TSI (95ps). An lower spec alternative to Polo, so as to allow it to be price at 2 level (for both model).

6) Fabia Combi (110ps). The only estate model, which is 1 level lower than Golf Combi, so again, a new market segment awaiting to be explored.

Err... Skoda Centre Singapore, you hiring Head of Sales? :serious-business:  :D  :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Mainly features and spec (vs. price), built quality (although choice of material for certain Skoda model might be of a slightly lower grade than equivalent VW model), and space (Skoda usually is the LWB version of VW equivalent).

Case in point: My previous 3T Superb vs B7 Passat.

Price, Features and Specs:

- Superb ($149K in 2012) is powered by 200ps 2.0TSI EA888 engine & 6 speed wet clutch DSG, while Passat ($156K in 2012) is using the 150ps 1.4TSI EA211 engine & 7 speed dry clutch DSG

- Superb come standard with 9 airbags, GPS navigation system, auto park, premium sound system, brake hold, bi-xenon headlight, quad exhaust, etc. which are not found on the more expensive Passat

- Superb also spotted the patented twin door design for boot (dual opening), which make the boot more usable than the Passat

Space:

- Superb is basically a LWB version of Passat and the addtional wheelbase translate to an almost limousine like rear leg space, which allow me to squeeze up to 5 pax (for a 30 min ride) occasionally (not possible for Passat when we tried in showroom)

- Due to the longer overall length, the boot space in Superb is also about 30 ltr larger than Passat, and couple with the twin door mechanism, it allow me to load in relatively large item, such as 3ft fish tank in the car, which is not possible with Passat.

Built Quality & Reliability:

- The sport comfort seat in Superb (not found in 1.4 & 1.8TSI Passat) provide a really good body and lumbar support, and the built quality is definitely on par with Passat, if not better

- As mentioned in the other threads, my Superb after close to 4.5 years of ownership (~159K Km) was practically fault-free (except for a replacement of headlight module), and even the brake pad can last close to 150K Km before replacement needed.

Base on my observations, VW seems to be using Skoda to try out new technologies, sort of like Toyota Crown vs Lexus GS (as highlighted by @toeknee_33 in another thread), so Skoda get 7 speed Wet Clutch DSG for it Superb 2.0 TSI & Kodiaq 2.0 TDI before Passat & Tiguan, newer gen 3B EA888 engine in Superb & Kodiaq before Passat & Tiguan, a sportier 245ps Octavia vs standard Jetta GLI (200ps, available in selected countries), etc. etc.

And there a few others not so significant differences, such as door protector (Kodiaq), umbrella holder in the door (Superb & Kodiaq), lift back (3V Superb) vs notch back (B8 Passat), etc.

interestingly, the EA113 engine had a slight variation with say a Audi 2.0T back than.

But not many will come to know of this till they start to tweak the engine.

In recent times, Skoda has made many gains in terms of platform as well as design. 

I doubt anyone here would be turn off with the latest design language. 

But as VW is now running the show, I would imagine that they would somehow de specs the skoda so as to improve the margin.

Else as what I have mentioned. 2.0 with AWD and price like a Passat 1.8T and you most definitely have a runaway success.

Having say that, sometimes its like a Casio and a Alba / seiko watch. 

It not wrong to choose one over the other.

• Praise 2

Wonder is their suv as spacious as superb

from the pics, looks similar to Outlander... good enough

interestingly, the EA113 engine had a slight variation with say a Audi 2.0T back than.

But not many will come to know of this till they start to tweak the engine.

In recent times, Skoda has made many gains in terms of platform as well as design.

I doubt anyone here would be turn off with the latest design language.

But as VW is now running the show, I would imagine that they would somehow de specs the skoda so as to improve the margin.

Else as what I have mentioned. 2.0 with AWD and price like a Passat 1.8T and you most definitely have a runaway success.

Having say that, sometimes its like a Casio and a Alba / seiko watch.

It not wrong to choose one over the other.

i have both Casio and Seiko watches ahahaha... unlike @throttle2

Mainly features and spec (vs. price), built quality (although choice of material for certain Skoda model might be of a slightly lower grade than equivalent VW model), and space (Skoda usually is the LWB version of VW equivalent).

- Superb ($149K in 2012) is powered by 200ps 2.0TSI EA888 engine & 6 speed wet clutch DSG, while Passat ($156K in 2012) is using the 150ps 1.4TSI EA211 engine & 7 speed dry clutch DSG

- Superb come standard with 9 airbags, GPS navigation system, auto park, premium sound system, brake hold, bi-xenon headlight, quad exhaust, etc. which are not found on the more expensive Passat

- Superb also spotted the patented twin door design for boot (dual opening), which make the boot more usable than the Passat

Space:

- Superb is basically a LWB version of Passat and the addtional wheelbase translate to an almost limousine like rear leg space, which allow me to squeeze up to 5 pax (for a 30 min ride) occasionally (not possible for Passat when we tried in showroom)

- Due to the longer overall length, the boot space in Superb is also about 30 ltr larger than Passat, and couple with the twin door mechanism, it allow me to load in relatively large item, such as 3ft fish tank in the car, which is not possible with Passat.

- The sport comfort seat in Superb (not found in 1.4 & 1.8TSI Passat) provide a really good body and lumbar support, and the built quality is definitely on par with Passat, if not better

- As mentioned in the other threads, my Superb after close to 4.5 years of ownership (~159K Km) was practically fault-free (except for a replacement of headlight module), and even the brake pad can last close to 150K Km before replacement needed.

Base on my observations, VW seems to be using Skoda to try out new technologies, sort of like Toyota Crown vs Lexus GS (as highlighted by @toeknee_33 in another thread), so Skoda get 7 speed Wet Clutch DSG for it Superb 2.0 TSI & Kodiaq 2.0 TDI before Passat & Tiguan, newer gen 3B EA888 engine in Superb & Kodiaq before Passat & Tiguan, a sportier 245ps Octavia vs standard Jetta GLI (200ps, available in selected countries), etc. etc.

And there a few others not so significant differences, such as door protector (Kodiaq), umbrella holder in the door (Superb & Kodiaq), lift back (3V Superb) vs notch back (B8 Passat), etc.

Isn’t the lift back best of both worlds(other than station wagon)

You get style(subjective), get the sedan look while having more space to load larger space than a normal sedan(like the SEAT Toledo or even the Toyota Prius.)

post-196254-0-71085800-1510576381_thumb.jpeg

post-196254-0-26784000-1510576520_thumb.png

• Praise 4

The way I look at it, the possible model at launch are:

1) Superb 2.0 TSI (220ps). Although competing with Passat, but the LWB shall attract a different group of buyer and allow VW to price it at similar price point as Passat.

2) Kodiaq 2.0 TSI (180ps). Again, being a LWB model, it shall be able to fill the gap (7-seater SUV) left by the standard Tiguan 2.0 TSI (220ps), and expand it market share through both model.

3) Octavia RS245 (245ps). No direct competitor in VW stable, as the closest would be Golf GTi / Golf R, which are hatchback, NO 4 door sedan.

4) Karoq 1.4TSI. VW currently do not have another SUV of similar size in it stable (except for Seat Ateca), and naturally, a good alternative to the like of Q3, X1, GLA, etc.

5) Fabia 1.0 TSI (95ps). An lower spec alternative to Polo, so as to allow it to be price at 2 level (for both model).

6) Fabia Combi (110ps). The only estate model, which is 1 level lower than Golf Combi, so again, a new market segment awaiting to be explored.

Err... Skoda Centre Singapore, you hiring Head of Sales? :serious-business::D:D

boss, i think you can be strategic business director

Space:

Well said...though a 2.0 Passat would be a better comparison.

Skoda drivers knows best!

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20150706/ANE/150629927/why-skodas-fast-rise-helps-and-hurts-parent-vw-group

In other markets, Skoda is cannibalising their own sibling sales.

Victims of its own success.

Success can breed jealousy, and unfortunately for Skoda, Volkswagen Group’s Czech subsidiary, business is booming. Meanwhile, Skoda’s far larger and better-known sibling, the VW brand, struggles to digest heavy investments from which the Bohemian carmaker profits. Last year marked a record for Skoda with volumes rising 13 percent to hit the seven-digit-mark for the first time in its history. Operating profit at the value brand surged by more than half, and its margin expanded by nearly two full percentage points to 7 percent.

Skoda plans to roll out a new or refreshed model every six months underpinned by the ultra-flexible MQB platform, and its biggest product offensive to date is paying dividends. The recently launched third generation of its flagship, the Superb midsize sedan, offers the roominess of a BMW 5 series at a price that undercuts the VW Passat. Next up is a new seven-seat crossover known internally as the “A-Plus SUV,” which debuts next year. By comparison, the VW brand saw its already weak profitability deteriorate even further amid stagnant revenue even though it is typically priced at a premium over volume rivals in Europe.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20150706/ANE/150629927/why-skodas-fast-rise-helps-and-hurts-parent-vw-group

In other markets, Skoda is cannibalising their own sibling sales.

Victims of its own success.

Success can breed jealousy, and unfortunately for Skoda, Volkswagen Group’s Czech subsidiary, business is booming. Meanwhile, Skoda’s far larger and better-known sibling, the VW brand, struggles to digest heavy investments from which the Bohemian carmaker profits. Last year marked a record for Skoda with volumes rising 13 percent to hit the seven-digit-mark for the first time in its history. Operating profit at the value brand surged by more than half, and its margin expanded by nearly two full percentage points to 7 percent.

Skoda plans to roll out a new or refreshed model every six months underpinned by the ultra-flexible MQB platform, and its biggest product offensive to date is paying dividends. The recently launched third generation of its flagship, the Superb midsize sedan, offers the roominess of a BMW 5 series at a price that undercuts the VW Passat. Next up is a new seven-seat crossover known internally as the “A-Plus SUV,” which debuts next year. By comparison, the VW brand saw its already weak profitability deteriorate even further amid stagnant revenue even though it is typically priced at a premium over volume rivals in Europe.

Important lesson in life: Never try to outsmart your boss, else... ... [crazy]  [crazy]

Volkswagen managers and unions are seeking to curb competition from lower-cost stablemate Skoda, move some of its production to Germany and make the Czech brand pay more for shared technology, company sources told Reuters.

As VW struggles to cut jobs and spending at German factories and turn the page on dieselgate, Skoda’s superior car reviews and profitability have intensified the brands’ rivalry within the Volkswagen empire.

VW now wants to reduce what it sees as Skoda’s unfair advantages - combining German technology with cheaper labour - and reaffirm the top-selling brand’s primacy ahead of a wave of new electric car launches, the sources said.

The tussle between VW and Skoda is reviving tensions at the heart of the Volkswagen group between profits and jobs, and between central control and autonomy for its 12 vehicle brands.

“Instead of devoting our efforts to beating Tesla, we may just be setting up a futile internal conflict,” said one manager.

Once the butt of jokes, Skoda has blossomed under 26 years of VW group ownership into a successful mid-market carmaker, steadily winning business from rivals - including VW - and surpassing even Audi’s operating profit margin last year.

At the same time, VW is facing thousands of job cuts as management moves to trim excess capacity at German factories. Its powerful domestic unions see Skoda’s success as both a threat and a potential lifeline.

VW workers’ representatives are now demanding the transfer of some Skoda production to their underused German plants, a source close to the supervisory board told Reuters. The proposal aims to offset declining output of the VW Passat and ageing Golf that could otherwise threaten more jobs.

They are also making the case that Skoda should pay higher royalties to use VW’s main common vehicle platform. The so-called MQB architecture also underpins mid-sized models from the group’s Audi and SEAT brands.

Responding to the news, Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka said he would meet Skoda management and unions to ask for clarification.

The government will seek to ensure that VW investment plans are followed through and that “production is not moved outside the country”, a statement released by Sobotka’s office said.
  • Praise 5

Important lesson in life: Never try to outsmart your boss, else... ... [crazy]  [crazy]

Volkswagen managers and unions are seeking to curb competition from lower-cost stablemate Skoda, move some of its production to Germany and make the Czech brand pay more for shared technology, company sources told Reuters.

As VW struggles to cut jobs and spending at German factories and turn the page on dieselgate, Skoda’s superior car reviews and profitability have intensified the brands’ rivalry within the Volkswagen empire.

VW now wants to reduce what it sees as Skoda’s unfair advantages - combining German technology with cheaper labour - and reaffirm the top-selling brand’s primacy ahead of a wave of new electric car launches, the sources said.

The tussle between VW and Skoda is reviving tensions at the heart of the Volkswagen group between profits and jobs, and between central control and autonomy for its 12 vehicle brands.

“Instead of devoting our efforts to beating Tesla, we may just be setting up a futile internal conflict,” said one manager.

Once the butt of jokes, Skoda has blossomed under 26 years of VW group ownership into a successful mid-market carmaker, steadily winning business from rivals - including VW - and surpassing even Audi’s operating profit margin last year.

At the same time, VW is facing thousands of job cuts as management moves to trim excess capacity at German factories. Its powerful domestic unions see Skoda’s success as both a threat and a potential lifeline.

VW workers’ representatives are now demanding the transfer of some Skoda production to their underused German plants, a source close to the supervisory board told Reuters. The proposal aims to offset declining output of the VW Passat and ageing Golf that could otherwise threaten more jobs.

They are also making the case that Skoda should pay higher royalties to use VW’s main common vehicle platform. The so-called MQB architecture also underpins mid-sized models from the group’s Audi and SEAT brands.

Responding to the news, Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka said he would meet Skoda management and unions to ask for clarification.

The government will seek to ensure that VW investment plans are followed through and that “production is not moved outside the country”, a statement released by Sobotka’s office said.

Its a waste they did not take the MLB Audi a4 platform.

Than the superb would really be superb.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/what-is-volkswagens-mlb-platform-all-about-1449884

Considering that the platform has been in existence since 2007 (Audi A5), the Volkswagen Group's platform strategy MLB was announced in 2012. The MLB platform is a shared modular construction of longitudinal, front-engined automobiles which is why we see cars like the Audi A4Q5A7A6 and even the Porsche Macan being built on this platform.

Till 2015 the MLB platform was used to build cars from Audi and Porsche but come 2016, VW built its first luxury sedan, the Phideon on this platform, which targeted only the Chinese market.

Now MLB is short for Modularer Langsbaukasten, which is German for 'Modular Longitudinal Matrix' and it's just one strategy within VW's overall MB (Modulare Baukasten or modular matrix) program. This program includes the MQB which is for vehicles with transverse engine orientation.

Having said this, the MLB platform is not actually a platform but a system which brings in a bit of rationality across disparate platforms that share engine orientation. And this has nothing to do with the model, vehicle size or brand. MLB uses a core matrix of components across a variety of platforms. This means that the cars built on MLB will be able to share a common engine mounting and this includes all drivetrains; petrol, diesel, hybrid, electric and even natural gas.

.....Skoda’s unfair advantages - combining German technology with cheaper labour - and reaffirm the top-selling brand’s primacy ahead of a wave of new electric car launches, the sources said.

....Its powerful domestic unions see Skoda’s success as both a threat and a potential lifeline.....

Moving some of Skoda's production to Germany will likely weaken Skoda's price advantage and probably reduct VW group's earning. Perhaps the union may want to think how they can increase productivity and think really hard before they ask for even more pay.

• Praise 1

Skoda cars really not bad, owned 2 when I was in SG.. both didn't have any major issues, nor did it ever broke down.. 

Hopefully it will make a come back soon, the Superb and Octavia range have grown over the years and its technology isn't much lesser than its VW siblings...

• Praise 1

But the rear 2 seats are extremely cramp.. mostly for kids.

thanks for the heads up. but should still be more spacious than my current ride...

Skoda cars really not bad, owned 2 when I was in SG.. both didn't have any major issues, nor did it ever broke down..

Hopefully it will make a come back soon, the Superb and Octavia range have grown over the years and its technology isn't much lesser than its VW siblings...

Wonder why sliver cab back out on using skoda as taxi if their reliability is not an issue

Wonder when will the car arrived for test drive.

Few years ago after waited patiently for 7 years to replace my next ride, when i reach the shownroom, i was shock that the place is deserted. later then i realized that the AD has close shop again. My plan for getting the superb was in vain

Wonder why sliver cab back out on using skoda as taxi if their reliability is not an issue

No idea, probably diesel? But in Europe they run it to the ground as well without much issues..

Wonder when will the car arrived for test drive.

Few years ago after waited patiently for 7 years to replace my next ride, when i reach the shownroom, i was shock that the place is deserted. later then i realized that the AD has close shop again. My plan for getting the superb was in vain

Just hope the price range is attractive enough for buyers.. I would not hesitate to buy another Skoda if i were in SG..

Some review on Kodiaq. Leg room for last row seems not as spacious as Sorento, but everything else are better (and supposed to be priced lower than Sorento in Europe too).

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10