What exactly is a sports car?

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

@kusje have spurred me thinking what exactly is a sports car? In today aspect, the line seems to be blurred out by quite a bit. So let's do a debate car by car. And we should start with the not here not there Honda Accord Euro R. 

From my understanding from Netcarshow.com. Honda produced 2 euro R variant, the CL7 and the CL1. I never include CL9 as it is the ang mo Acura version. 

Honda Accord EuroR

Honda-Accord_EuroR-2003-1024-02.jpg

The Honda Accord is an automobile manufactured by Honda, redesigned in 2003 and sold worldwide.

Accords sold in Japan (and elsewhere in the world) vary greatly from the US models. In Japan, full-featured Accords are offered. Until 1997, the Accord bi-yearly facelift or four-year redesign was always released a year prior in Japan. Older generations of Accords such as the US 1990-1993 (4th Generation) was actually offered in years 1989-1992 in Japan, and 5th Generation from 1993-1996. Other differences were in features. The 1989-1992 (4th generation) offered in other countries received unheard of equipment for an Accord (until recently) such as a Navigation System, TV, mini-disc player, digital automatic climate control, traction control, Anti-Lock brakes, side-marker lights, heated mirrors, outside temperature gauge, an in-cabin air refiner, map lights, seat heaters, standard fog lamps, headlight washers, rear fog light, full-power seats, telescoping bumper pole, half-mast antenna switch. An Accord Si and Si-T model can also be found in some countries including Japan along with a "Euro R" trim in Europe.

In 1998, a major redesign took place for the Accord for its sixth-generation, the largest Accord to date reverted back to its more conservative roots. The wagon was discontinued in North America but remained available elsewhere. Internationally, the Accord split into two distinct versions, one for North America, and another for sale worldwide. The models are often referred to as the Japanese and North American Accords. The larger North American model is based on the Japanese Honda Inspire, while Japanese Accord is sold in North America as the Acura TSX.

The Accord was redesigned in 2003 without a size increase of a similar magnitude to the North American model. In comparison, clearly, the North American version is distinct from the worldwide model, being both larger and heftier. The F-series VTEC engines made its debut in the European and Japanese Accords, and the 90° C-series V6 engine was replaced by a more-compact 60° J-series unit for the US Accord. Honda offered the North American Accord in a number of Asian markets, with mixed sales. Both variants of the Accord are sold in Australia-the North American model and the worldwide model. The Japanese model offered a number of hi-tech features not seen elsewhere in the North American range, and minor adjustments to body styling. The Japanese Accord and Inspire also feature Honda's Intelligent Driver System or HIDS which feature safety enhancements such as the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and adaptive cruise 

So what you all think? Is Honda Accord Euro R a sport car? 

@chaosmyth @kusje @kdash

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Yah. I also think so. haha. If the car can go from 0-100 less than 7sec, I think it is sporty. And can say it is a sport car. 

Some ppl also say Golf GTI not a sport car. It is a hot hatch. It is just different terminology. hahaha. 

Fits definition of a sports saloon so why not

@enye

I think need 2 doors then considered sportscar  :D

More than 2 doors not sportscar liao.

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 4

Yah. I also think so. haha. If the car can go from 0-100 less than 7sec, I think it is sporty. And can say it is a sport car. 

Some ppl also say Golf GTI not a sport car. It is a hot hatch. It is just different terminology. hahaha. 

if less than 7sec is considered a sport car. then will technology nowadays, many would have been one. 530 bmw... e250 merc .. volvo the T6.. 

i wont consider sport car to be less than 4.5sec base on current technology. sport car in the past would be normal car now. maybe in another ten years, the criteria would have been below 3sec.

• Praise 1

the 0-100 is the one that determines what kind of car. The problem with this definition is when everyone elses also produce the similar performance, you can hardly call it a sports car.

As in the MKV GTi. It use to command a fair bit of respect. Not as fast or as wild as a EVO 9/ 10 subbie WRX Sti, but at least meet a bare minimum 6.9 sec

than again, speed is not everything. Handling plays a part as well.

So we go into G metering 

I would imagine the new GTi mk7 goes to 6.5sec. But in todays context, thats more like a warm hatch than a hot hatch when most high performance cars are hitting 3 to 4 secs. and hot hatch is 4 to 5 sec

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 2

Last week, a white car was tailgating me in the morning busy hours of AYE. With great difficulty, I gave way and later I realised that it was a sports car.

PS: My full respect to that car's owners - to be taken in lighter spirit.

post-90182-0-59404000-1511238235.jpg

Edited by Steptronic
  • Praise 2

i am more superficial, and inclined towards design intent and exterior looks rather than actual engine performance... i would consider this car similar to Civic Type-R and considered a sports car... 

To me there's 2 category of sports car.

1) Racing purpose

2) Looks fast only

Kia koup is considered a Sports car category under insurance.

So will this also be considered a sports car?

post-35926-0-55439200-1511238699_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Like this

:D

8540ccc94484538afe44cf8bcf0eb2ee--george

THE JAGUAR MARK 2 WAS THE WORLD’S FIRST SPORTS SEDAN

At the end of the Second World War, the British car industry, like the country itself, was in shambles. Car manufacturing had been put on hold during the war and car factories had been directed to join in the war effort. This meant that when the war ended, the only cars available to buy were ageing pre-war designs quickly refurbished and put on sale.

By the 1950s however, normalcy prevailed and carmakers were able to start putting out cars which were new from the ground up. Jaguar released their first unibody sedan, the 2.4/3.4 Saloon in 1955, although this was a flawed car. Visibility out of the cabin was hampered due to the thick pillars all around and the car’s ride and handling highly compromised because of a rear track which was narrower than the front.

In 1959 Jaguar released the Jaguar Mark 2 (and retroactively renamed the earlier car the Mark 1) to fix these issues. The Jaguar Mark 2, in addressing the issues of the Mark 1, was a revelation. The car was redesigned from the waistline up and the pillars were made thinner, increasing the glass area. The rear saw a slight redesign to mimic the styling of the Le Mans-winning D-Types. But what really turned the car around completely was the 4.2-inch wider rear track, the new suspension geometry, a limited slip differential and the addition of the legendary 3.8-litre twin cam straight six from the XK150. This meant that the Mark 2 turned into the world’s first sports sedan. The 220bhp engine made the Mark 2 good for 125 mph and a 0 to 60-mph time of 8.5s. To put that in perspective, an Aston Martin DB4 from the same era also took 8.5s to get to 60mph, but cost twice as much. Another world-first was the fitment of disc brakes on all four wheels.

Sports car is just a marketing term.

Call it a sports car and people pay more.

These days we use lifestyle.

Lifestyle car, lifestyle condo etc and people pay more.  [thumbsup]

:D

Traditionally, the term "Sport Car" used to refer to "buttock-less", low ride height, sporty looking 2 doors vehicles, and commonly associated with brands like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Lotus, MG, and maybe (barely there) Toyota (Supra, Celica, MR2, MRS), Mazda (RX7, RX8), Mitsubishi (GTO, Eclipse), Nissan (Fairlady/ZX, Silvia/SX) and Honda (NSX, Prelude, S2000).

But as with the ongoing evolution in automotive industries, the line started to get blur, especially with the introduction of high powered coupe (e.g. Aston Martin DB, BMW 6er, Bentley Continental GT, Ford Mustang, Lexus LC / RC, Mercedes AMG, Nissan GTR, etc.), sedan (Audi S8, BMW M, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Cadillac CTS, Dodge Charger Hellcat, Maserati Quattroporte, Mercedes C / E AMG, Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan Skyline, Subaru WRX, etc.) and even SUV (Audi SQ7, BMW M, Bentley Bentayga, Mercedes G / GL AMG, Range Rover, etc.)

IMO, there is still a distinctive different between Sport and Fast car. The word "Sport" carry a certain weight in defining how it perform, and the least to say, a heritage. No one would dispute if I say Bugatti, koenigsegg, McLaren, Pagani, etc. are Sport Car, as they are built to perform (speed), so to speak.

The rest, such as BMW M, Honda Accord Euro R, Civic Type R, Holden HSV, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Jaguar XJR, Mercedes AMG, Mitsubishi Evo, Renault RS, Skoda Superb 280, Subaru WRX, Toyota Caldina Turbo, VW Golf GTi, etc.), I would term them as Fast Car... as the term already make them sound, FAST.  :D

P/S:

I just recalled the term 跑车 (Sport car in Chinese). If you point to someone on the street say a Ferrari, Lamborghini, koenigsegg or Pagani, all would agree that these are 跑车, but point to the same folks the Type R, WRX, Goft GTi, and at least half of them would give you this face:

1hozrp.jpg

This one must be a sports car...cos the badge says so....  :D

suzuki_swift_sport_04.jpg

disco-173_0.jpg?itok=IUdS-ooW

And you just reminded me of this thread in MCF: What does "Sport" mean in a car Model?

And one of the best replies goes to @the_bear (It means you pay more for the same sh.i.t) :D  :D

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

sports car, or sportscar, is a small, usually two-seater, two-door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.[2][3] The term "sports car" was used in The Times, London in 1919.[4] According to USA's Merriam-Webster dictionary, USA's first known use of the term was in 1928.[2] Sports cars started to become popular during the 1920s.[5]

Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious, but high maneuverability and light weight are requisite.[6] Sports cars are usually aerodynamically shaped (since the 1950s), and have a low center of gravity compared to standard models. Steering and suspension are typically designed for precise control at high speeds.[7] Traditionally sports cars were open roadsters, but closed coupés also started to become popular during the 1930s, and the distinction between a sports car and a grand tourer is not absolute.[8][9]

• Praise 1

To Mi,

Sillpore context for sport car:

U pay higher insurance premium,

U pay more for rd tax premium,

Car spent more time in wksp than on the rd

no replacement for displacement...

I missed my CL7R..

Drive safe guys..

Edited by Hao505700

@kusje have spurred me thinking what exactly is a sports car? In today aspect, the line seems to be blurred out by quite a bit. So let's do a debate car by car. And we should start with the not here not there Honda Accord Euro R. 

From my understanding from Netcarshow.com. Honda produced 2 euro R variant, the CL7 and the CL1. I never include CL9 as it is the ang mo Acura version. 

For me:

Sports car are production cars developed with motorsports in mind. Tunable or stock, able to bring it to the track.

↡ Advertisement