What exactly is a sports car?

kobayashiGT

I added two cheapo aluminium pedals to my lao pok car immediately felt it’s transformed into one sport car.

Heck, I felt the bhp also increased when I pasted the moosh sticker to my wowo.

Edited by mersaylee
↡ Advertisement

I give my take on this:

SPORTS CAR is a generalised term now, mainly because last time sports car must fit a certain criteria: FAST, 2 DOORS, BIG BRAKES, SPORTY LOOK. Think Porsche 911 and Mercedes GT. There is no doubt at all that these are PURE sports cars. 

Next Category are family cars, NORMAL ENGINES, 4 DOORS, SPACIOUS, ETC. Think Toyota Corollas.

But as the automotive market evolves, we find that consumers are looking for fast family cars to fulfil the need for family and sports behaviours. That is when 4-DOOR sports saloons becomes popular, Think WRX, EVOLUTION, EURO R, etc. Note: Most sports saloons still maintain manual transmission for that sporty feel. These has prove so popular that the major pure sports cars players started to come in at a much later time, think Porsche Panarama.

Are the above still considered sports cars? I should think so.

These are called supercars now. Not sports cars.

And in the mandarin context, they are called 超跑.

IMO, there is still a distinctive different between Sport and Fast car. The word "Sport" carry a certain weight in defining how it perform, and the least to say, a heritage. No one would dispute if I say Bugatti, koenigsegg, McLaren, Pagani, etc. are Sport Car, as they are built to perform (speed), so to speak.

P/S:

I just recalled the term 跑车 (Sport car in Chinese). If you point to someone on the street say a Ferrari, Lamborghini, koenigsegg or Pagani, all would agree that these are 跑车, but point to the same folks the Type R, WRX, Goft GTi, and at least half of them would give you this face:

And you just reminded me of this thread in MCF: What does "Sport" mean in a car Model?

And one of the best replies goes to @the_bear (It means you pay more for the same sh.i.t) :D  :D

Traditionally, the term "Sport Car" used to refer to "buttock-less", low ride height, sporty looking 2 doors vehicles, and commonly associated with brands like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Lotus, MG, and maybe (barely there) Toyota (Supra, Celica, MR2, MRS), Mazda (RX7, RX8), Mitsubishi (GTO, Eclipse), Nissan (Fairlady/ZX, Silvia/SX) and Honda (NSX, Prelude, S2000).

But as with the ongoing evolution in automotive industries, the line started to get blur, especially with the introduction of high powered coupe (e.g. Aston Martin DB, BMW 6er, Bentley Continental GT, Ford Mustang, Lexus LC / RC, Mercedes AMG, Nissan GTR, etc.), sedan (Audi S8, BMW M, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Cadillac CTS, Dodge Charger Hellcat, Maserati Quattroporte, Mercedes C / E AMG, Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan Skyline, Subaru WRX, etc.) and even SUV (Audi SQ7, BMW M, Bentley Bentayga, Mercedes G / GL AMG, Range Rover, etc.)

IMO, there is still a distinctive different between Sport and Fast car. The word "Sport" carry a certain weight in defining how it perform, and the least to say, a heritage. No one would dispute if I say Bugatti, koenigsegg, McLaren, Pagani, etc. are Sport Car, as they are built to perform (speed), so to speak.

The rest, such as BMW M, Honda Accord Euro R, Civic Type R, Holden HSV, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Jaguar XJR, Mercedes AMG, Mitsubishi Evo, Renault RS, Skoda Superb 280, Subaru WRX, Toyota Caldina Turbo, VW Golf GTi, etc.), I would term them as Fast Car... as the term already make them sound, FAST.  :D

P/S:

I just recalled the term 跑车 (Sport car in Chinese). If you point to someone on the street say a Ferrari, Lamborghini, koenigsegg or Pagani, all would agree that these are 跑车, but point to the same folks the Type R, WRX, Goft GTi, and at least half of them would give you this face:

1hozrp.jpg

And you just reminded me of this thread in MCF: What does "Sport" mean in a car Model?

And one of the best replies goes to @the_bear (It means you pay more for the same sh.i.t) :D  :D

looks like we need more categories and put the car models in accordingly... 

Sports car or not.... It's all in the mind......

The pickup/lorry with full load of 24 FT in the back cheonging 1st lane ECP... 

The Harrier NA that clocks 0-100 is under 6 sec that wins traffic light sprints beating maseratis and porsches....

All of them thinks they are "sports cars"... Even if you tell them they are crazy..  :D

• Praise 4

Sports car or not.... It's all in the mind......

The pickup/lorry with full load of 24 FT in the back cheonging 1st lane ECP... 

The Harrier NA that clocks 0-100 is under 6 sec that wins traffic light sprints beating maseratis and porsches....

All of them thinks they are "sports cars"... Even if you tell them they are crazy..  :D

Agree, it is all in the mind.

HNA is sports car then Harrier Turbo have to be super car!

https://drivetribe.com/p/whats-the-difference-between-a-YW92Ge3gQGCrtwALTS6neg?iid=K0_Ypb7PTaufNR0NbxD36Q

Anybody can imagine their car is a sport car. But only when your log card says its sports car, then its a sport car.

But sports car ot not, no big deal. I own one before for couple of years. Its only fast. Still, a car.

judging from the amount of ego here

your own car is always a sports car

other people's car is never a sports car

:D

• Praise 4

judging from the amount of ego here

your own car is always a sports car

other people's car is never a sports car

:D

Mine is confirm not a sports car.

SPORTS CAR is a generalised term now, mainly because last time sports car must fit a certain criteria: FAST, 2 DOORS, BIG BRAKES, SPORTY LOOK. Think Porsche 911 and Mercedes GT. There is no doubt at all that these are PURE sports cars. 

Next Category are family cars, NORMAL ENGINES, 4 DOORS, SPACIOUS, ETC. Think Toyota Corollas.

But as the automotive market evolves, we find that consumers are looking for fast family cars to fulfil the need for family and sports behaviours. That is when 4-DOOR sports saloons becomes popular, Think WRX, EVOLUTION, EURO R, etc. Note: Most sports saloons still maintain manual transmission for that sporty feel. These has prove so popular that the major pure sports cars players started to come in at a much later time, think Porsche Panarama.

Are the above still considered sports cars? I should think so.

if u categorise it losely, anything that can outgun a sonata turbo or a merc 220cdi turbo can be considered sports car liao. [smash]   [:p]   [laugh]

Edited by Sdf4786k

I find the term "sports car" very 90s.

Japan car makers made a lot of the 2 doors, pop-up headlights "sports car".

Now you can find 4-door sedans and SUVs with excess of 500hp. Merc, bmw, Audi, LandRover, Alfa Romeo (latest Quadrifoglio) etc etc have a whole range of them. The "sports car" term is no longer relevant. After all the 500hp sedans and suv it's those supercar category.

• Praise 1